Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

POLL: How are we feeling about Chris Ballard now?

AKB

Colts Football Poll: How do we feel post draft?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chirs Ballard be fired?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you happy with this draft class?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you happy with our previous draft class?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. If Levis has a better start than Richardson (stats via games played), should Ballard be fired?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Is ballard still on the hot seat?

• Yes
    • No
    • Drafting a young, developmental QB has given him a few more years at least.
  6. 6. Do you think AR5 starts week 1?

• Yes
    • No

There is no secret that a lot of Colts fans were extremely unhappy with how last season unfolded.  We had seen a few POLLS pop up during this tumultuous time. Two that I created were to see if we wanted to fire Frank and Ballard. 

Interestingly, our original polls correlated pretty closely with the outcome of who was actually fired so far. 

Personally, I am very happy with the replacement of Frank --> Shane. I am also very pleased with how Ballard has handled the offseason, and most importantly the Draft. I believe he has shown the ability to change his ways (somewhat) with roster construction.  He also got us our Mobile QB, CB, and a WR that reminds me of the slot machine TY Hilton. 

So, with all of that being said, how are we feeling about Chris Ballard now?  The main question will be, should he still be on the hot seat? 

But, let's add another question to the mix.  Or a few I suppose. 

Previous poll

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeesh.

I don't think Chris Ballard is, or was, on the hot seat, and I'm thinking that he won't be on the hot seat in the near future.

I'm not a 'fire that guy' person, and I generally don't get too up or down on a draft class before the second season is over.

And if anyone thinks the Colts drafted Richardson over Levis while being concerned about which player might look the best in Year 1, I think maybe they haven't been paying attention. And I'll say Richardson does not start Week 1.

I thought Ballard had to be fired after last season. But once the decision was made to keep him, IMO he needs to be given the time to see his project through. You either fire him and start over with new GM and new HC or you give him at least 2-3 more years to fix his mistakes and give time for the new QB to show what he can do.

I think Irsay sees things similarly and for the time being Ballard is safe, which is good by me.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeesh.

I don't think Chris Ballard is, or was, on the hot seat, and I'm thinking that he won't be on the hot seat in the near future.

I'm not a 'fire that guy' person, and I generally don't get too up or down on a draft class before the second season is over.

And if anyone thinks the Colts drafted Richardson over Levis while being concerned about which player might look the best in Year 1, I think maybe they haven't been paying attention. And I'll say Richardson does not start Week 1.

I feel the same.  

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I feel the same.  

What the fan base thinks doesn't really have much to do with the owner/GM relationship. Regardless of what the Colts fan base thinks Ballard has a very good reputation amongst the NFL world. 

If Levis has a better start than Richardson (stats via games played), should Ballard be fired?

It's not just Levis vs Richardson. 

Ballard had chance to draft any of the 4 QBs. If any other QB does exceptionally well in the NFL, and Richardson doesn't turn out to be a franchise QB because of lack of progress and not due to injury, then Irsay should consider the possibility of a new GM, and that could happen after 2 years seeing the progress Richardson makes. 

Bottomline is, your GM should be able to evaluate and draft a franchise QB, otherwise there's no use in having that GM for 5+ years. You're going nowhere with that. 

As of now, hope Richardson could be that QB. 

Until I see the team play, I'm not really feeling anything.  Richardson is an unknown.  Steichen is an unknown as a head coach.  

When it comes to this draft class, it felt like Ballard listened to social media.  We'll see how far it gets him. 

I think Ballard's made plenty of mistakes, but with Reich being fired over Ballard I think Irsay felt Reich was the primary reason for our QB situation.

Ballard should get the chance to get this ship going in the right direction with AR at the helm. If AR is a miss however I feel Ballard has had enough chances especially if one of the other QBs in this draft class turns out to be a hit.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeesh.

There was definitely a conversation (not just on this board) that Chris might be at the end of his stay.  

It's alright to not have been one of those people to question Ballard's position, but there definitely was a lot of talk on rather or not he would be here. Taking a QB definitely extends his stay Imo.  And this is exactly the reason he didn't rush drafting one in my opinion. Frank was never his pick from the beginning. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeesh.

Scary how similar we think at times. My thoughts exactly. 

5 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

There is no secret that a lot of Colts fans were extremely unhappy with how last season unfolded.  We had seen a few POLLS pop up during this tumultuous time. Two that I created were to see if we wanted to fire Frank and Ballard. 

Interestingly, our original polls correlated pretty closely with the outcome of who was actually fired so far. 

Personally, I am very happy with the replacement of Frank --> Shane. I am also very pleased with how Ballard has handled the offseason, and most importantly the Draft. I believe he has shown the ability to change his ways (somewhat) with roster construction.  He also got us our Mobile QB, CB, and a WR that reminds me of the slot machine TY Hilton. 

So, with all of that being said, how are we feeling about Chris Ballard now?  The main question will be, should he still be on the hot seat? 

But, let's add another question to the mix.  Or a few I suppose. 

Previous poll

Who is Chirs Ballard? 

4 hours ago, azcolt said:

Well, only about 30 people have bothered to vote after 5 hours. Maybe you needed a question: If most fans here are too fed up with Ballard’s product to respond to this poll, should he be fired?

well, in comparison to the first poll it was way more heavy in favor of firing him. it was also fresh after a bad season, and horrible loss as well.

with that being said, i think a lot of people are actually satisfied with this draft. 

5 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

There was definitely a conversation (not just on this board) that Chris might be at the end of his stay.  

It's alright to not have been one of those people to question Ballard's position, but there definitely was a lot of talk on rather or not he would be here. Taking a QB definitely extends his stay Imo.  And this is exactly the reason he didn't rush drafting one in my opinion. Frank was never his pick from the beginning. 

Frank was never Chris Ballard’s pick from the beginning?    Huh? 

How did you arrive there?   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Frank was never Chris Ballard’s pick from the beginning?    Huh? 

How did you arrive there?   

He wanted Josh McDaniels?  It doesn't mean Chris was completely upset by hiring Frank.  

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

He wanted Josh McDaniels?  It doesn't mean Chris was completely upset by hiring Frank.  

Yes….  Thanks.   I have not forgotten the McDaniels incident.   But I wanted to hear from the poster who made the claim.   

Hiring Frank in the second go around doesn’t mean Ballard wasn’t happy with the hire.   I think he was extremely impressed with Frank, and has said so in many interviews over the years. 

ballard is somewhere in between good and great at gm. that alec pierce i think will be a great football player for us for a long time. just hope Richardson can make players around him better, and focus on the things that matter concerning football, it wouldn't be Ballards fault for AR15 not focusing on the right things. I guess I'm being armchair but if AR can get good at 2-3 things that really matter, it will go a really long way imo. ;)  I gotta get ready for work so everyone have a good day. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….  Thanks.   I have not forgotten the McDaniels incident.   But I wanted to hear from the poster who made the claim.   

Hiring Frank in the second go around doesn’t mean Ballard wasn’t happy with the hire.   I think he was extremely impressed with Frank, and has said so in many interviews over the years. 

i mean yeah, but he was always the second choice.

so ultimately, ballard didn't want frank first. He wanted mcdaniels.

but no need for that to be the main point of anything

I think everyone will agree that the biggest complaint about Ballard is his failure to replace Luck with a franchise QB.  (I know he’s missed on a few draft picks, but I bet he’s better than a great majority of GMs as far as successful picks).

Luck retires after the draft - he has no choice but to go with JB. 
Next year, the team is ready to win now, he goes with a proven veteran.  And it almost worked.

Next year he goes with Frank’s guy, a young QB- and it worked…until the day after Christmas.   
Next year he gets another proven vet. And it’s a disaster.   But what could he have done?  No first round draft pick, not much else out there.  

All chips are in this year.  If AR is a bust, then I think he is on the very warm seat.  Winning is the bottom line.  I think AR5 is the future and Ballard is here as long as he wants to be.

I think he (and his team) do a good job at drafting for the most part. Are you going to have some misses? Of course, who doesn't? 

When the team does poorly, who gets most of the blame? 

I'm most certainly am not making excuses for Ballard, but I think he listened to Frank Reich way more than he should've. 

Between Reich's play calling ability, and thinking every player is the same (him trying to shove square players into round holes) and Ballard being "scared" of drafting a QB for years (going with retreads) it was a double whammy to the teams detriment.  

If Richardson hits, Ballard is a genius. 

If he doesn't, well........  

I'm just glad Steichen is here, and is the fresh young offensive mind this team needed. Also, holding players accountable is something this team was sorely missing. I think he's the perfect match to develop AR and transform this team. 

We have been stuck in a cycle of mediocrity under his tenure. Exactly what Irsay said he did not want.

Finally, Ballard has a high end offensive mind HC and a Great QB prospect.
 It's a 2-3 year at minimum build to be solid contenders.
 Kelly will be gone and who knows if Q, Smith, Leonard, or Taylor will still figure in at that time.
  Ballard has a great deal of team building lying ahead, and it will be his real legacy.
 STEICHEN is the best thing that he could have hoped for, and he will continue to guide Ballard down a path that is  a much better one than what our last HC was capable of.

1. = No

2. = Yes

3. = Yes 

4. = No

5. = yes

6. = Yes

3 quick points, Question 5 is tricky but I voted yes because if the team stinks the next 2 seasons, I think Irsay will fire him. He does have 2 years now though because AR5 is a rookie. Question 6, I am starting the rookie, he needs reps and the only way you get better regarding reps is actual real game play.

Overall as of now I think Ballard should not be fired, drafting AR5 bought him 2 years.

15 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Ultimately, the only conversation that would have mattered is one involving Irsay, right? After looking back at what's happened since Reich was fired -- Irsay said 'Ballard isn't going anywhere' at the presser, he said it again after the season, they didn't hire Irsay's friend at HC, they didn't draft one of the more polished QB prospects -- it's not hard for me to just take Irsay at his word. He said he believed in Ballard, and he's supported that statement with actions.

I know there's been plenty of speculation, but it mostly seems baseless at this point. And I'm not separating myself from that group; in the past, I have questioned whether Ballard was on the hot seat. I questioned everything after Reich was fired. But looking back with the benefit of more information and results, I think Ballard was always safe, despite what people outside the building may have thought. JMO.

As for the Frank factor, I think they acquiesced to Reich's QB preference over the last couple of years, and ultimately that played a big role in him getting fired. I don't think Ballard held back from drafting a QB because he didn't believe in Frank.

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

Irsay wants his team contending every year. That much is obvious.

Andrew Luck immediately made the Colts go from worst to winners. But they never truly had the early picks to become a solid football team over time. I made a post years ago that mediocracy breeds mediocracy. Never the worst team but never gain ground on being true contenders. Always picking mid pack and it just manifested over time. Another losing season will be tough to endure or wish for but in the long term it would benefit. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeesh.

Agree about 99% with your thoughts' I think there is a chance Richardson starts. 

I know some say you can't judge drafts or HC for a few years but if we waited a few years to see what happens to a decision yesterday we wouldn't need a forum like this. I like to speculate to an extent. I really like the new HC and the draft. May not work out but really liked the thoroughness of the coaching search and thought the draft was a homerun on paper. No one can be 100% correct on any draft but they rate them on  potential. Some exceed expectations and some fail to live up to their expectations due to injure, desire or other reasons. Can't wait for the season to start.

14 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Andrew Luck immediately made the Colts go from worst to winners. But they never truly had the early picks to become a solid football team over time. I made a post years ago that mediocracy breeds mediocracy. Never the worst team but never gain ground on being true contenders. Always picking mid pack and it just manifested over time. Another losing season will be tough to endure or wish for but in the long term it would benefit. 

There's some truth to this. When we traded a 2nd for Vontae Davis, people were complaining because 'we're gonna be bad this season, so it's basically a late first rounder!' Turns out we made the playoffs, so that pick wound up being in the mid 50s. Usually when you draft a QB #1, your team still struggles and you at least get another top ten-ish pick. But we picked at #24, and it just so happened to be one of the worst drafts of the last couple decades.

Still, the real problem is that we had multiple bad draft results in a row. And that's not just about where you're picking, it's more about your overall ability to scout, draft, and develop players. As bad as the 2013 draft was, to me it seemed obvious that Rhodes was the better player, but we picked Werner. Then we used our 2014 1st on a bad RB. From 2013 to 2015, we basically drafted two quality starters -- Mewhort and Anderson -- and Mewhort was undermined by injury. We misused a ton of draft capital over those years, and along the way, the strong 2012 draft class started getting injured (Vick Ballard, Dwayne Allen), and/or leaving in FA (Coby Fleener). We also kind of bombed in free agency.

So yeah, we didn't have amazing draft capital, but the real issue is that our drafting sucked, player development sucked, and free agents didn't work out. Meanwhile, we had a QB who was good enough to drag the team to the playoffs each year, so there was a false sense of being close to having a contention quality roster.

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Agree about 99% with your thoughts' I think there is a chance Richardson starts. 

I know some say you can't judge drafts or HC for a few years but if we waited a few years to see what happens to a decision yesterday we wouldn't need a forum like this. I like to speculate to an extent. I really like the new HC and the draft. May not work out but really liked the thoroughness of the coaching search and thought the draft was a homerun on paper. No one can be 100% correct on any draft but they rate them on  potential. Some exceed expectations and some fail to live up to their expectations due to injure, desire or other reasons. Can't wait for the season to start.

I have no problem with people speculating and predicting like this, it's just not my thing. So when reading the poll options, I felt like I'd be better off just explaining my thoughts, because the answers in the poll questions didn't suit me.

I like what they've done this offseason, overall. Still think we need more options at OL, and I'm concerned about ILB, but it was a good reset from where we were a year ago. But I don't have strong opinions, especially about our youngest players, because it doesn't really matter until we see them play. 

What do you think the odds are that Richardson starts Week 1? If you had to place a bet today...

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have no problem with people speculating and predicting like this, it's just not my thing. So when reading the poll options, I felt like I'd be better off just explaining my thoughts, because the answers in the poll questions didn't suit me.

I like what they've done this offseason, overall. Still think we need more options at OL, and I'm concerned about ILB, but it was a good reset from where we were a year ago. But I don't have strong opinions, especially about our youngest players, because it doesn't really matter until we see them play. 

What do you think the odds are that Richardson starts Week 1? If you had to place a bet today...

Agree 100% on the bolded. Was hoping we would have got the guard from Philly. I do feel fairly certain we will make a move before the season but hard to know what will be out there. I have some concern about Leonard. I hope I am 100% wrong but I question his desire since he got the huge contract.

As per Richardson's odds to start I would guess around 50-50. I think he will see some action early on but it may not be as a starter.

I do think he will eventually start for sure as the season goes on.

I think that he has to make progress this year with this team

If we are slowly getting better through the year, (my hope) I think he will be fine.

But..... this team HAS underperformed under Ballard

My hope is that it all comes together......  

But....  his rope is getting shorter

I've long felt that IF individuals - in the media - on our message boards - or - elsewhere - feel that THEY can assemble the "perfect roster" for any sport - and - any team - I invite them to fill out an application to be a General Manager.

That way - we could compare apples to apples - and - not apples to the Statue of Liberty.

I think regardless of the fact that we have a QB who will probably be given 2-3 years to prove himself Ballard is still on the hot seat. The facts are is that its a results driven league and since the Rivers season we have steadily gotten worse. If we dont see improvement it could spell the end for Ballard.

28 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Agree 100% on the bolded. Was hoping we would have got the guard from Philly. I do feel fairly certain we will make a move before the season but hard to know what will be out there. I have some concern about Leonard. I hope I am 100% wrong but I question his desire since he got the huge contract.

As per Richardson's odds to start I would guess around 50-50. I think he will see some action early on but it may not be as a starter.

I do think he will eventually start for sure as the season goes on.

I think we'll do something for depth at OL, I think they worked out a couple players last week. But I don't know if it will be meaningful. 

I'm not worried about Leonard's desire, at all. He's been seriously injured ever since he got his new contract, trying to play through these injuries, while medical staff has been figuring out how to help him. I think it's overly cynical to attribute his issues to him being complacent because he got paid. He dragged himself around on one leg all of 2021, and was still our best defensive playmaker at probably 50% physical capacity. The only thing I'm worried about is him deciding to retire because his injury can't be overcome, but a big part of that worry is influenced by the Luck situation.

Richardson, I think 50/50 is fair. I lean toward the "no" side for Week 1 because I think it would be better to work him in judiciously, and there's no rush. But I absolutely expect him to get reps in games right away, just not as the starter. And if he looks great in camp or preseason, then sure, start him in Week 1. But that remains to be seen.

Archived