Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

The fact that every offensive minded coach I have ever worked with or spoke to says the same thing about accuracy.... Plus it's my opinion too. 

It is a fact that the opinion of every offensive minded coach I have ever worked with or spoken to have the same take on a quarterbacks accuracy. 

As a coach, I disagree with this. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

The fact that every offensive minded coach I have ever worked with or spoke to says the same thing about accuracy.... Plus it's my opinion too. 

It is a fact that the opinion of every offensive minded coach I have ever worked with or spoken to have the same take on a quarterbacks accuracy. 

sure.  well at least our coaches actually realize accuracy CAN be improved and that is THEIR OPINION.

And by way, peewee coaches aren't necessarily the end all, be all in opinions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Anderson is gonna be good I think but man, that was a TON to trade up for. Makes me really wonder if TN knew they were bidding against the Texans who obviously weren’t taking a QB at 3, or if they thought they were bidding against just us for 3. Either way, the Texans did us a huge favor in this trade. Sure they got Anderson who will be their DT version of JJ Watt, but they also gave up a BUNCH to do it. They also picked the QB of the bunch that has the highest odds to bust of those taken in round 1.  They bet their future on a kid who I think has already reached his ceiling. 

HOU could afford to overpay to get the RDE because they have a ton of picks next year too, combined with having franchise QB and LT in place.  The trade is not going to set them back much.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not talking about mobile QBs my friend. More often than not QBs just don't live up to expectations in the NFL. It's hard. 

My point is that even if things don't work out, we'll be fine. 

Forsure. Wasn't entirlet directed at you, just in general, the narrtive that AR is Highest ceiling, lowest floor, is not accurate imo.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

All my favorite people are back! Hi @Colt.45 I missed you. Did you get to attend in person yesterday?

@NFLfan! Thanks!

It's been a minute. I've missed the forum. I switched off emotionally. Last season was a lot to handle, and football which is supposed to be a sweet release from life's troubles became an unhealthy burden of its own. I lost faith in the owner, the GM, some players, and I was definitely over the presence of the ex-center. 

None of us can predict the future but I knew I'd be back in the fold if the Colts got one of Stroud, Young or Richardson. To me, the difference is negligible. All different styles that can have success under the right ecosystem. Richardson's ceiling is limitless unlike Stroud or Bryce.

Didn't get to go yesterday but I'll be there today and tomorrow. Kansas City is an incredible place to be right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you look at my post, I talked about media as a group, and not just sports.   I referenced politics, other news and even entertainment.  

My post was 100 percent NOT about the draft and click bait which I acknowledge.  
So, no, I wouldn’t say the media’s priority is for entertainment and click bait.  

SOCIAL MEDIA, mostly yes.  I’d agree.  But NOT traditional media.   Because if you don’t have credibility you’ve got nothing. 

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree.   I think our difference is in what is news and what is just information.

When you're constantly citing sources and it turns out to be dead wrong, you were just repeating information.  Like Ballard said, none of the "Levis to the Colts" came from him or inside the building.  People like Bowen and Chappell confirmed that.  Yet, people in the national media kept reporting it - as information.

Did their credibility suffer?  No, because no one really cares if they were wrong.  They never go back and tell us where their "sources" came from, or tell us if they continue to trust them.

Most of what we hear or read is opinion, not news.  

Just now, Colt.45 said:

@NFLfan! Thanks!

It's been a minute. I've missed the forum. I switched off emotionally. Last season was a lot to handle, and football which is supposed to be a sweet release from life's troubles became an unhealthy burden of its own. I lost faith in the owner, the GM, some players, and I was definitely over the presence of the ex-center. 

None of us can predict the future but I knew I'd be back in the fold if the Colts got one of Stroud, Young or Richardson. To me, the difference is negligible. All different styles that can have success under the right ecosystem. Richardson's ceiling is limitless unlike Stroud or Bryce.

Didn't get to go yesterday but I'll be there today and tomorrow. Kansas City is an incredible place to be right now.

I have a weird memory. I remembered that you said you lived in or near Kansas City. Lol.

Glad to have you back. We missed you during the Gavin mock draft.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Since you're interested in the truth, here are facts.  (I'm not saying AR is Josh Allen, I'm just providing data.  So don't say I'm a liar, lol!)

Josh Allen

2 years in college - 56%

Pros comp percentage by year:

Apparently they managed to improve his accuracy.

Sure. But the laundry list of those who didn’t is much longer. 

Chasing outliers is risky business.

But they know that. Steichen’s got this OC QB whisperer reputation right now. Now we get to find out.

15 hours ago, Aces101 said:

Levis? He’s no game changing QB 

To be fair though we dont know for a fact that AR will be. He has a lot to work on to be a game changer. But I'm fine with the pick because he obviously has a huge ceiling and the Colts will get to see if Steichen can coach him up to that level which will be interesting to watch. Let's hope for the best!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hope I am wrong but I am sticking with what I’ve said all along B.U.S.T.

Bust to me is still better than simply adequate. At qb to me it’s either top shelf difference maker or you might as well have a bust and know it and go get another. Playing around in the middle of no man’s land living in the world of just ok leads to 500 football and not being good enough to win it all and yet not bad enough to go back and take another shot at a top guy.  Boom or bust is fine at this particular position in my opinion. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah I try to come by when i can. I just work so much these days that some days i dont really use my phone much (which is usually where I post from)

I am excited for the pick. He has a big time ceiling. 

@SteelCityColtwas on Mars, were you on Jupiter lmao Homer Simpson Laughing GIF- that AR pick is bringing everyone back, hell of a pick wasn't it. Ballard finally said I am all in at the poker table. :thmup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Sure. But the laundry list of those who didn’t is much longer. 

Chasing outliers is risky business.

But they know that. Steichen’s got this OC QB whisperer reputation right now. Now we get to find out.

True, but my point was that you can't just look at comp % in college.  It can be improved.

He has the physical traits.  Since he can make pinpoint throws at times, it shows he has the accuracy.  He just wasn't consistent.  We'll see how he does once they work on his fundamentals, like they did with Josh.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm really excited. AR has been my guy for most of the draft season. Pretty much the moment I started seriously watching tape(instead of just casually watching college games) I couldn't hold my excitement and intrigue with Richardson. He was a total rollercoaster this last season. Nothing in his game was consistent... BUT in his tape you can find everything you want to find in a high level NFL QB. Exceptional traits... One of the few times you can say 'unique' without it being a hyperbole... excellent pocket presence. IMO he's the best in the class in this aspect. He feels pressure well and his movement skills and strength make him incredibly hard to bring down(his pressure to sack ratio is on Patrick Mahomes levels)... his deep ball is beautiful. I think he has elite arm. But he needs to learn to throw with touch, especially in the short range.

He shows flashes of some advanced quarterbacking traits too - holding a safety with his eyes, throwing with anticipation, going through progressions... making the right reads even in full field progressions... again... it's inconsistent right now, but IMO he's much more advanced than people give him credit for... making checks and adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Even in his short 13 start career you can cobble together a highlight reel that shows not just exciting throws and runs(and he has a ton of those too - I think he had more 40+ yard runs last year than the Colts had ANY plays for over 40 yards for the whole season), but also true NFL type quarterbacking. One of the things I love the most is that even though he can be an exceptional runner, his natural instincts are to actually make throws from the pocket. He generally sits in the pocket and tries to make the right thing - reading through his progressions and throwing... even when he's pressured he doesn't automatically tuck it and run - he keeps his eyes downfield and still tries to make a throw. An example I'd like to give is - his throw/scramble/sack ratio when pressured is practically identical to that of CJ Stroud and Stroud is considered the quintessential pocket QB of this draft. But when he actually runs... boy oh boy... he's a TD thread any time he decides to leave the pocket. 

With all that said his footwork and mechanics need improvement because his short area accuracy is atrocious. He NEEDS to get better here... and he needs to learn to throw with some touch from time to time. 

Overall... I'm super excited. I think this Colts team has been one of the most boring NFL teams in recent years. I think Richardson can singlehandedly change that. He's a TD threat on any snap - be it with his arm or with his legs. Some of the things he does athletically are absurd. Cannot wait for the season to start and hopefully see him in action. By no means is he a sure thing... he's a risky pick and very well might bust... he will need a lot of work to get to a point where he's a good QB in the league, but IMO in a conference with Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Herbert, Lawrence... now Rodgers... IMO you need a player of that stature in order to compete and Richardson was our best change at getting someone like that. 

Sorry for the long answer tl;dr: yes, very excited, cannot wait for the season. I think Richardson was our best chance in this draft of getting a high upside QB who can compete with the best in the conference. 

All of this. His pocket movement, the calm and poise, the eye movement, the manipulation. He's played 13 games and does things naturally that some players in the NFL struggle with. He lacks the polish others have but it's all a matter of amplifying strengths and hiding weaknesses till they become strengths. It's what happened with Hurts, it's what happened with Allen. Is it risky? Of course! If the young man busts, Ballard is gone alongside Steichen but if you're taking a risk then a high upside risk is not a bad one to take considering they had the top 3 QBs pretty close. 

Hope Richardson is Michael Jordan to Bryce Young's Steph Curry. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is right.

I hate reading these all or nothing comments where everyone is all bad. I think those are lazy comments that do not involve a lot of thought.

me too dude, me too.   It's an American cultural issue IMO.  Black/White.  Left/Right.   Good/Bad.

It's like caveman or toddler level reasoning skills. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

True, but my point was that you can't just look at comp % in college.  It can be improved.

He has the physical traits.  Since he can make pinpoint throws at times, it shows he has the accuracy.  He just wasn't consistent.  We'll see how he does once they work on his fundamentals, like they did with Josh.

Scheme and usage matters a lot. Russell Wilson, when he had that Seahawks' D and running game booming, rarely attempted over 25 throws a game. RW ran and threw in a timely manner to keep the chains moving, which is forgotten.

I know this for certain. Even if the Colts are winning, the AR naysayers will be out to say they are winning despite him like we were saying about the Seahawks winning only because of the D and running game (insert reasons) etc. The odds, however, in a stacked AFC, have to be tempered but because of that, even if we (say) win the division in 2024 (say), the goal posts will be moved stating that the goal is to win the SB, just to knock AR down. 

Have to learn who the AR naysayers are right now, to make a list :thmup: to take their opinions with a grain of salt later. All I want is an open mindedness to give him a chance.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

GMs as well. Ballard said verbatim “accuracy, no. 1.”

Ballard also scolded Wentz for not “making layups” and then traded him. On field, Wentz had a lot of issues with mechanics and footwork, but also an actual track record.

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Sure, some people are able pick up things easier than others but they still have to learn it. 

AR can learn to throw more accurately.   

Other QBs have learned to improve their accuracy so the data doesn't back up your opinion that accuracy is set in stone at birth.

Btw I doubt anyone is born 6'4.  That would be one hell of a delivery.  And btw, if we are now talking about physical traits being something you are born with (which I already said was more set in stone), then that is probably a big reason why we chose AR.  Thanks for proving my point.  Methinks you just like to argue.

Urukai Orcs are born in that range and often above. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Scheme and usage matters a lot. Russell Wilson, when he had that Seahawks' D and running game booming, rarely attempted over 25 throws a game. RW ran and threw in a timely manner to keep the chains moving, which is forgotten.

I know this for certain. Even if the Colts are winning, the AR naysayers will be out to say they are winning despite him like we were saying about the Seahawks winning only because of the D and running game (insert reasons) etc. The odds, however, in a stacked AFC, have to be tempered but because of that, even if we (say) win the division in 2024 (say), the goal posts will be moved stating that the goal is to win the SB, just to knock AR down. 

Have to learn who the AR naysayers are right now, to make a list :thmup: to take their opinions with a grain of salt later.

Steichen naysayers as well. Some are cutting him down before he's even had a chance... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Have to learn who the AR naysayers are right now, to make a list :thmup: to take their opinions with a grain of salt later. All I want is an open mindedness to give him a chance.

I don't really care what the naysayers say (nay I say!).  I just hope that Ballard surrounds him with talent and SS has plays that help him succeed.

We lived through Lucks first years where Grigson didn't think having an O line was a big necessity.  I know Ballard feels differently, but so far he hasn't done anything to improve it this season.  I'm sure he has his eye on some FAs, and there will be prospects that come out of the draft.  He had to learn from last season's mistake, right?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Back in your day, daytime TV was filled with soap operas, All My Children, General Hospital, etc.  and Game Shows.  Now they are filled with "news" shows.  But the daytime TV watcher still wants their drama.  Its as if the media and sports media create a reality TV based drama series using real people as their stars.

I see soap operas and game shows being replaced by news shows and talk shows, but the bent towards the dramatic is till the theme, just executed differently .

Doug….   The media problems are large and complex.   My small rant couldn't begin to cover all the media’s problems and issues. 

The issue you raise is fair and valid.  The reasons are many and some are self inflicted.   So, caution, longer post ahead. 

Back in the day, when you and I were young, game shows and soap operas were cheap programming, very inexpensive.  Now?  Media companies have made so many deep and astounding cuts that news shows can be inexpensive these days.  Just sit an anchor at a desk and talk about todays headlines and interview todays news makers.  

Back when we were young, the news was NOT viewed as a place to make money.  You tried to win awards, honors, reputation and credibility for the network.  Many news lobbies would be filled with tons of beautiful gold statues.   But after Nixon/Watergate, Anchors and top reporters became Rock Stars.   Salaries went way up.   And big media companies suddenly demanded big ratings.   News had to turn a profit, and the bigger the better.   It didn’t used to be that way.   We used to cover news.   Now the news covers what they think is the most interesting in the hopes of attracting viewers and readers.   More important topics that might not be glamorous or exciting often don’t get covered, because ratings might go down.   

It’ll never happen, but I’d like to see media companies have to spend more to cover the real news.  Make it part of the renewal of their FCC license to broadcast which is annual.  News must NOT make a profit.  It must be revenue neutral and it must inform a free society about the world we all live in.   If a company makes more money, they have to spend more to cover the world.  Call it the cost of doing business.  The entertainment side is where big networks can and should make money, their profit. 

Apologies for getting on my soap box.  I thought you made an interesting observation and I wanted to respond more fully to address your points which I think are fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug….   The media problems are large and complex.   My small rant couldn't begin to cover all the media’s problems and issues. 

The issue you raise is fair and valid.  The reasons are many and some are self inflicted.   So, caution, longer post ahead. 

Back in the day, when you and I were young, game shows and soap operas were cheap programming, very inexpensive.  Now?  Media companies have made so many deep and astounding cuts that news shows can be inexpensive these days.  Just sit an anchor at a desk and talk about todays headlines and interview todays news makers.  

Back when we were young, the news was NOT viewed as a place to make money.  You tried to win awards, honors, reputation and credibility for the network.  Many news lobbies would be filled with tons of beautiful gold statues.   But after Nixon/Watergate, Anchors and top reporters became Rock Stars.   Salaries went way up.   And big media companies suddenly demanded big ratings.   News had to turn a profit, and the bigger the better.   It didn’t used to be that way.   We used to cover news.   Now the news covers what they think is the most interesting in the hopes of attracting viewers and readers.   More important topics that might not be glamorous or exciting often don’t get covered, because ratings might go down.   

It’ll never happen, but I’d like to see media companies have to spend more to cover the real news.  Make it part of the renewal of their FCC license to broadcast which is annual.  News must NOT make a profit.  It must be revenue neutral and it must inform a free society about the world we all live in.   If a company makes more money, they have to spend more to cover the world.  Call it the cost of doing business.  The entertainment side is where big networks can and should make money, their profit. 

Apologies for getting on my soap box.  I thought you made an interesting observation and I wanted to respond more fully to address your points which I think are fair. 

Excellent post (even if it isn't relative here).  You said what I was trying to say in a much more eloquent manor.

Great job!

48 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

As I have pointed out many times... Improving mechanics can slightly improve accuracy... However, hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and so on is something you're born with. Just like height, speed, and so on... 

Confused James Franco GIF

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I don't really care what the naysayers say (nay I say!).  I just hope that Ballard surrounds him with talent and SS has plays that help him succeed.

We lived through Lucks first years where Grigson didn't think having an O line was a big necessity.  I know Ballard feels differently, but so far he hasn't done anything to improve it this season.  I'm sure he has his eye on some FAs, and there will be prospects that come out of the draft.  He had to learn from last season's mistake, right?

...and not make defensive statements to the media like "you guys wanted WRs but I told you the OL is important", and I go, say what??? :scratch:

The buck for FA signings and draft picks stop with you, man. Don't deflect with such statements. To be fair, he does take ownership for the failures but the Irsay interference in lots of things got him caught off guard, I felt, with responses out of character for his typical ones.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree. Not trying to be dramatic or anything, but there's a difference between media and journalism, and a lot of people don't properly acknowledge that difference.

And despite most of the media being about engagement, there is real journalism out there. It's a little hard to find, sometimes behind a paywall, and often dry and boring, but it exists and is accessible.

I agree 100%...

Somewhere along the way the media became all about entertainment and protecting its advertisers (both sides)... It is hard for the media to tell the truth about a company that invest millions in advertisements. Could even be contractual obligations... Or back-door handshakes. 

Unfortunately people still watch the news as though it's the same now as it was 30 years ago. 

As someone in the middle, I find alternative places to get my news. I can form my own opinions. I like to get the facts and then put the pieces of the puzzle together myself. 

You know me well enough... I am someone who does not ride the groupthink train. I like having my own opinion, even if it is not popular. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Bust to me is still better than simply adequate. At qb to me it’s either top shelf difference maker or you might as well have a bust and know it and go get another. Playing around in the middle of no man’s land living in the world of just ok leads to 500 football and not being good enough to win it all and yet not bad enough to go back and take another shot at a top guy.  Boom or bust is fine at this particular position in my opinion. 

I never looked at it that way but I get it. Being a middling player is analogous to indifference (as in 'Indifference is worse than hate"). It is like having Kirk Cousins. We can't win with him but fans think he is too good to replace. :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You know me well enough... I am someone who does not ride the groupthink train. I like having my own opinion, even if it is not popular.

It probably doesn't seem like it with how I post sometimes, but I do respect you for that. Having a differing opinion makes this forum interesting. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Anthony Richardson is a unique quarterback who could become very successful in the NFL... He could be a dude... He could be a dud... The ceiling is the limit...

I have said that over and over... Before and after we selected him...

Steichen was asked what he valued in a quarterback... He answered that he must be very accurate. Saying that and then taking Richardson is not being truthful... He lied. 

You first. 

You are the one claiming QB coaches think accuracy can't be improved.   Site one example 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

You are the one claiming QB coaches think accuracy can't be improved.   Site one example 

The more tape I am watching of Anthony the more I'm wondering if he actually has decent accuracy buried under his flawed mechanics. I'm seeing quite a few throws under duress where the ball lands right between the numbers of his receivers. Even some really tight window throws that happen so quick even the camera is caught off guard. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Oh we know.   You let us know all the time how brilliant you are. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

All of this. His pocket movement, the calm and poise, the eye movement, the manipulation. He's played 13 games and does things naturally that some players in the NFL struggle with. He lacks the polish others have but it's all a matter of amplifying strengths and hiding weaknesses till they become strengths. It's what happened with Hurts, it's what happened with Allen. Is it risky? Of course! If the young man busts, Ballard is gone alongside Steichen but if you're taking a risk then a high upside risk is not a bad one to take considering they had the top 3 QBs pretty close. 

I hope the fans will give him time and keep an open mind.  There are fans who have said that he does not fit the profile of their ideal QB. He may win in a different manner but if you win the Super Bowl, that is what matters. I think he can bring a Super Bowl to Indy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Except this is like drafting a player who shoot 30% from the floor and hoping he becomes MJ. 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Ballard often says how he got the guy he was targeting and how he was glad they fell to our pick.    Hard to say if AR would have been the pick if we were the first pick.  

Actually he told AR before the draft that is he were available that he was the pick.  That's without knowing who would go 1-3.  

So it was their 1st choice 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

The more tape I am watching of Anthony the more I'm wondering if he actually has decent accuracy buried under his flawed mechanics. I'm seeing quite a few throws under duress where the ball lands right between the numbers of his receivers. Even some really tight window throws that happen so quick even the camera is caught off guard. 

Someone posted an article that I read on the Athletic that showed that he would throw perfectly thrown passes that were dropped by receivers.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

It probably doesn't seem like it with how I post sometimes, but I do respect you for that. Having a differing opinion makes this forum interesting. 

Thanks. I do not mind it when people to disagree with me. I encourage that. Some really good discussions happen from people contributing honest thoughts to the conversation... It can occasionally get out of hand when people start making personal attacks... But I never worry about it. I have learned to not take the bait. Usually the moderators come in a clean it all up. 

Earlier in this thread I called Steichen a liar... It would have been more appropriate to just say he lied. He did lie, but that does not make him a liar. A liar is someone who repetitively lies... Although I think he blatantly and intentionally lied about the situation,  that is just my opinion. I hope it is a one time thing. If not then we will be blowing this entire team up in a couple of years... If Steichen has this very bad trait then the players will see it... You cannot hide these things in a locker room. It's like a melting pot in there. Either your true authenticity comes out, or they make one up for you... They never make one for you that's better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

If the ball is landing between the numbers and the WR can’t catch it, that’s on the receiver. I agree with AR15 there

• Like 1