Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yes. I like this move because it doesn’t put pressure on Ballard to have to take a WR high in the draft. If it’s there he can take it but doesn’t have to force it. Plus it relieves pressure of a rookie if they do decide on a WR in the draft.

I love that we are bringing in some more experienced players at wr! Hope he excels here.

• Like 1

Ballard doing exactly what i thought hed do and i like it. Stacking a bunch of cheap high value role player contracts in key areas. Get the QB in draft and one or two trade backs to add a bunch of drafted players to the mix. Thats my dude!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I was one of the first ones who brought up Hooker to the Vikings because cousins has just one more year to go. @NFLfan didn’t think it was feasible.

That’s the thing – teams like the Bucs or the Vikings have a tad more time to let a QB like Hooker develop behind a starter. They’re my most likely candidates.

Lol. I did think of him but not at 23. I thought we could get him in the 2nd or 3rd round. We do not have a 2nd round pick; so we would have had to trade for it. 

We have only 5 draft picks. Getting Hooker at 23 is a big risk. I doubt it happens now that it has been suggested

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder why Foles hasn’t been released. Makes me think they are trying to trade him to a team that needs a backup.

Because the Colts don't need to cut him right now. You win nothing from cutting him at this point. Injuries happen all the time. Minshew or the Rookie might get injured in OTAs... or another team's backup or starter might get injured and they might need a QB. Leave it for the last moment when the money becomes guaranteed. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder why Foles hasn’t been released. Makes me think they are trying to trade him to a team that needs a backup.

This one is baffling.  I think we signed him after he was released.  So it’s hard to believe someone will trade for him.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Isaiah McKenzie is the face of the Bills franchise?!?   Really?    Seriously?  

Id have never guessed that.   I suspect most of Buffalo wouldn’t have either!   

I live near Buffalo and I always thought Josh was the face of the franchise. Silly me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I’m thinking it’s in case of a nightmare draft scenario for QB - for example:

*we don’t like Levis
*Stroud, Young, and Richardson go 1-2-3
*And Hooker’s gone at 35.

In that case, maybe we’d bring him back for the QB room with Minshew and Ehlinger.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Archer said:

I’m thinking it’s in case of a nightmare draft scenario for QB - for example:

*we don’t like Levis
*Stroud, Young, and Richardson go 1-2-3
*And Hooker’s gone at 35.

In that case, maybe we’d bring him back for the QB room with Minshew and Ehlinger.

With signing Minshew that makes zero sense. I also feel Ballard would have traded up if he felt he was not going to like a QB that falls to four.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would say around 20 haha . I don't call people out but off the top of my head I can name 15-20 that seem they are just happy with management, or hope we don't draft a QB, and hope we don't go near Lamar. 80 out of 100 is good though because most people want to see winning. Let me add this, I agree with Ballard not being overly aggressive in free agency, that could back fire on you but I would love to see him at least get 1 or 2 big names that are in their prime that will help us improve. We need a WR and another O.lineman that will be impactful.

Are you suggesting that anyone who doesn't want LJ due to the fact we would be paying him $50M + and forking over several first round draft choices or someone that doesn't want him to go crazy over paying in the first round of free agency is are ok with losing and don't want to see winning? That's like saying because a person does want to bungee jump off a 1,000 foot bridge is just a boring guy and doesn't want to ever have fun. People may want to win as much as you do but may not agree with your approach. No one has all the right answers but if they don't agree with me doesn't make them losers in my eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this will also give you a little of what Hines gave us when he played slot. Could be a little bit of a gimmick player that can do several things.

Hopefully we don't run him up the middle on 3rd and goal from our opponent's 4 yd line.

53 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With signing Minshew that makes zero sense. I also feel Ballard would have traded up if he felt he was not going to like a QB that falls to four.

We’ve carried 3 QBs every year Ballard has been here except for one

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lol, why does that make zero sense with the Minshew signing?  Ballard may very well

think he’s getting his QB @4, and he could try to trade up to 3.  But GMs know that they’re sometimes wrong about how the board will fall.  Makes sense to keep Foles on until we get that QB in the draft.  Doesn’t save any money to cut him earlier…

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Are you suggesting that anyone who doesn't want LJ due to the fact we would be paying him $50M + and forking over several first round draft choices or someone that doesn't want him to go crazy over paying in the first round of free agency is are ok with losing and don't want to see winning? That's like saying because a person does want to bungee jump off a 1,000 foot bridge is just a boring guy and doesn't want to ever have fun. People may want to win as much as you do but may not agree with your approach. No one has all the right answers but if they don't agree with me doesn't make them losers in my eyes. 

I get your point and see that point of view but people that use money as an excuse and some do is getting old as an excuse not to get better. I just watched the Bucs in 2020 and Rams 2021 manipulate the Salary Cap and sign whoever they want and they won SB's. I will say it again, if you don't spend you won't win. Lamar Jackson is the only QB on the market that would give us a punchers chance at a SB run and get us in the playoffs at worse. We are in a conference with Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen, and Lawrence has become good.

Some Colts fans are becoming like Pacers fans and ok with the Pacers not going over the cap to get superstars in here because the owner of the Pacers is a cheap skate. If the Cavs can go way over the Salary Cap to win Championships (which they did when they had LeBron, why can't the Pacers?). Cleveland is a real small market. If the Bucs and Rams can manipulate the Salary Cap to buy a SB Title regarding football, why can't we?

I will live with whatever we do but for some to say Lamar doesn't give us the best chance to win has me SMH. On top of everything is only 26 and can pass and run, dude is a former MVP. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get your point and see that point of view but people that use money as an excuse and some do is getting old as an excuse not to get better. I just watched the Bucs in 2020 and Rams 2021 manipulate the Salary Cap and sign whoever they want and they won SB's. I will say it again, if you don't spend you won't win. Lamar Jackson is the only QB on the market that would give us a punchers chance at a SB run and get us in the playoffs at worse. We are in a conference with Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen, and Lawrence has become good.

Some Colts fans are becoming like Pacers fans and ok with the Pacers not going over the cap to get superstars in here because the owner of the Pacers is a cheap skate. If the Cavs can go way over the Salary Cap to win Championships (which they did when they had LeBron, why can't the Pacers?). Cleveland is a real small market. If the Bucs and Rams can manipulate the Salary Cap to buy a SB Title regarding football, why can't we?

I will live with whatever we do but for some to say Lamar doesn't give us the best chance to win has me SMH. On top of everything is only 26 and can pass and run, dude is a former MVP. 

Don't forget Rodgers going to the Jets (we think), and whichever QB the Texans end up with.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree about the Pacers owner being cheap(wish Herb Simon would sale the team to somebody else).But if we had a generational type talent like Lebron I’m pretty sure the Pacers owner would go over the salary cap too.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 7:42 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm probably going to take a break for awhile. I thought we were going to get some Eagles FAs, and the only one we got is Minshew. Matt Gay is a great K, but being our best FA signing is a joke. There's no one left that is probably going to be a starter for us tbh, and the players that I had interest in still have gone the last couple days and guys like Schultz and Singletary went to HOU, which is just another dagger at this point. 

I'm tired of caring for a team ruled by a GM that won't change his ways. I'm tired of pretending we have a chance to get better and having faith. There's only one reason I can have faith that's left, and that's if we get Lamar Jackson, Being stressed out over this is going to give me an ulcer. I hate Ballard for ruining my passion and love for the Indianapolis Colts and can't do anything about it.

I'll come back if Ballard signs Lamar and eat crow, but other than that, barring a huge trade that benefits us, I think I need to leave for my health. This horrible GM isn't worth having health problems over. I love this community, but I can't handle it anymore (especially people still defending him). I'll return at some point.

Yeah you should take a break if you feel that bad. I agree with your post somewhat though, it is getting annoying every year we do the same thing, like a broken record and it gives me a headache too. I gave Ballard a break for a few years there because Luck retiring screwed everything up but going on year 5 after Luck it is time we do something off the wall and gamble a little. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard reminds me of a couple of employees I used to be supervisor of. I would keep telling them they needed to change their ways to improve production, they never did but they were good enough workers to keep and not be fired because they did just enough to keep their jobs chuckling homer simpson GIF.

Sounds like Kirk Cousins. :P

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I already have Rodgers going to the Jets, Rodgers is 39 though, Lamar is 26. If Lamar was in his 30's, I would say hell no to bringing him in but he is just entering his prime.

Rodgers will still be a force to deal with, I'd say for another 2–3 years, IF the Jets can find and maintain some success.