Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I read where the top five picks in the 3rd round is considered the sweet spot in the draft for what it’s worth.  They are looking for picks.  I would offer our 3rd and one of our multiple 5ths and hope that gets it done.

Richard…..

Do you recall where you read that?    I’d like to read that article.   Can you point me in the right direction or provide a link? 

Thanks….  

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Richard…..

Do you recall where you read that?    I’d like to read that article.   Can you point me in the right direction or provide a link? 

Thanks….  

I think it was in an article about Jeudy.  There are a lot.  I went back and looked at a few but no luck so far.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With the owners meetings starting today maybe we will have more  movement on trading Kelly and Moore.

I would guess IF they get moved, it would be on draft day. Remember how we moved Henry Anderson. Hassan Ridgeway or Quincy Wilson during the draft for day 3 picks? My guess is if there is something to happen, it will happen on draft day. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I would guess IF they get moved, it would be on draft day. Remember how we moved Henry Anderson. Hassan Ridgeway or Quincy Wilson during the draft for day 3 picks? My guess is if there is something to happen, it will happen on draft day. 

Yeah, honestly I’ve been thinking they may keep Foles through training camp just for the veteran presence among young QBs unless they really need the extra cap space for a free agent but so far I don’t think they will and his cap savings won’t be different if we cut him now or then

7 hours ago, stitches said:

I could see that especially if it’s got a trade up to 3 with AZ. Both would fit in there.

Additionally on the SF front, I understand this take but if it is true. I would 100% be up for calling SF to gauge cost to acquire Trey Lance.

I like him as much as any QB in this draft and I know the Colts had the "blue card" label on him prior to the draft a couple years back. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

So i interpret him viewing the OL problems from last year as largely a coaching problem

Matt Pryor and Danny Pinter were coaching problems?!?     Wowza.   

Pryor just signed with San Francisco.   And Ballard says they’re keeping Kelly, so Pinter isn’t yet good enough to replace him.   And you think you can chalk up last year just to coaching?    

I didn’t see that coming….

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Matt Pryor and Danny Pinter were coaching problems?!?     Wowza.   

Pryor just signed with San Francisco.   And Ballard says they’re keeping Kelly, so Pinter isn’t yet good enough to replace him.   And you think you can chalk up last year just to coaching?    

I didn’t see that coming….

Sure because he placed a big emphasis on the aquisition of the OL coach when asked about the lack of moves made. I interpret that comment as him judging last years problems as largely but not completely coaching related. Whatever Sparano brings to the table he sees as being a fairly solid step towards getting the OL right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Sure because he placed a big emphasis on the aquisition of the OL coach when asked about the lack of moves made. I interpret that comment as him judging last years problems as largely but not completely coaching related. Whatever Sparano brings to the table he sees as being a fairly solid step towards getting the OL right.

Every head coach places a big emphasis on hiring as good am OL coach as is possible.    Outside of the coordinator spots, the OL coach is as important a position coach as there is.   No new HC wants their job to start off poorly because they couldn’t hire a very good OL coach.   

The Colts OL was a disaster for the first half of the season and only got better as a Raimann improved and Fries was barely acceptable.   The Colts problems were far more than the OL coach.   That’s why this community has been talking RG and C all off season. 

On 3/26/2023 at 8:14 PM, richard pallo said:

I think it was in an article about Jeudy.  There are a lot.  I went back and looked at a few but no luck so far.  

I will say the whole Day 2 of the draft is where the strength of this draft lies, so the more picks you have there, the better off you are.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

I will say the whole Day 2 of the draft is where the strength of this draft lies, so the more picks you have there, the better off you are.

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade the 4th pick for a lower 1st and 2nd or multiple picks. Seems we are evaluating alot of mid round QBs. I have a feeling Ballard is stocking up on youth and is willing to wait for next year to move up for our franchise QB in that draft.

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade the 4th pick for a lower 1st and 2nd or multiple picks. Seems we are evaluating alot of mid round QBs. I have a feeling Ballard is stocking up on youth and is willing to wait for next year to move up for our franchise QB in that draft.

I think mid-round quarterbacks are candidates to be QB3, to replace Sam.   To give Steichen a different person for that slot.   I don’t think the mid-round guys will be the only QB the Colts will take unless the Colts make a move for Lamar.   It’s impossible for me to believe the Colts think ANY of the Day 3 QBs are viewed as a possible long term solutions for the franchise.   I don’t connect those dots. 

• Like 3

I just read an article reporting the Packers are in the market for and looking for a veteran quarterback to back up Jordan Love.  Foles is already under contract at a very reasonable cost.  I think he would be the perfect candidate for the job.  Hopefully Ballard gives them a call and can put a trade together.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I just read an article reporting the Packers are in the market for and looking for a veteran quarterback to back up Jordan Love.  Foles is already under contract at a very reasonable cost.  I think he would be the perfect candidate for the job.  Hopefully Ballard gives them a call and can put a trade together.

A trade for Foles?! We would have to give a pick away to unload him to another team… :lol:

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am sure @Jared Cisneros will say after today's moves (I will say it for him) - Bargain Bin Ballard :) 

That is the Colts' BBB rating. 

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Dunno why anyone would complain about signing Brown. Dudes a very good blocking TE which we did not have last season. 

I like the signings tbh. Evans is a guy I like and know well, and Pharaoh Brown was a guy I remember on the Texans. Like that we got a blocking TE. Good depth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What do you all think we'll do as far as RECIEIVING TE goes? Should we have faith in Granson or Jelani taking steps? (Not a rhetorical question.. I genuinely don't know what to make of them rn.)

Best thing you can do for a young QB is give him an intelligent pass catching TE, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

What do you all think we'll do as far as RECIEIVING TE goes? Should we have faith in Granson or Jelani taking steps? (Not a rhetorical question.. I genuinely don't know what to make of them rn.)

Best thing you can do for a young QB is give him an intelligent pass catching TE, right?

I like what we have. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

When he was actually used right, Woods was dominant. Ogletree showed a lot of promise in the preseason, so hopefully he picks up where he left off and can be a solid contributor in the pass game. I don't love Granson, but he came in clutch quite a bit last season, so overall, I'm sold on our TE group.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shive said:

When he was actually used right, Woods was dominant. Ogletree showed a lot of promise in the preseason, so hopefully he picks up where he left off and can be a solid contributor in the pass game. I don't love Granson, but he came in clutch quite a bit last season, so overall, I'm sold on our TE group.

That's where it looks like MAC is the odd-man out unless they carry 4 TEs on the roster

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

That's where it looks like MAC is the odd-man out unless they carry 4 TEs on the roster

MAC was a basketball player and was signed as a free agent in 2017. Imo the gamble never played out. He's worth is around 5 million dollars.  Not bad for a player who didn't make it as a basketball player and never really made an impact as a football player either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Eagles sign Elliott

Is it just me or is that a terrible signing, Zeke is a shell of his former self and that is a crazy amount of money for a RB who has averaged less than 60 rushing yards per game the last 2 years.

Forgot it was april 1st, ya got me

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Is it just me or is that a terrible signing, Zeke is a shell of his former self and that is a crazy amount of money for a RB who has averaged less than 60 rushing yards per game the last 2 years.

Forgot it was april 1st, ya got me

Ha, fitting this signing was on April 1st. After he signed the big contract seemed he did not take care of himself and was never the same, and was consistently outplayed by Pollard. He signed with the Cowboys division rival and will play them twice. Cowboys are probably not that concerned. 10 Mil. -horrible signing.