Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tackle?   

Raimann is the LT. 
Smith is the RT.

I think the only way that changes is if either gets hurt.   

The Colts will likely look for a swing tackle.  A solid backup.   But my guess is that will be in free agency. 

I think we need Smith replacement to be young good and talented. He has regressed steadily and has injury history. I feel his time is up soon. Tackle is important and you need your best depth there, then C second. Trenches are the building block of being successful on both sides.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think we need Smith replacement to be young good and talented. He has regressed steadily and has injury history. I feel his time is up soon. Tackle is important and you need your best depth there behind C second. Trenches are the building block of being successful on both sides.

If you believe at all in the grades from PFF,  the stats say this view is false.   

Off the top of my head, Smith’s grades in 20 and 21 were both at 80.   His grade this past year?   75.    A falloff, but not as bad as the fan base thinks.   

As Ballard said at the year end presser the three veterans were all dragged down by the LT and RG.   Fix those two spots and the OL should get much better. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you believe at all in the grades from PFF,  the stats say this view is false.   

Off the top of my head, Smith’s grades in 20 and 21 were both at 80.   His grade this past year?   75.    A falloff, but not as bad as the fan base thinks.   

As Ballard said at the year end presser the three veterans were all dragged down by the LT and RG.   Fix those two spots and the OL should get much better. 

Maybe he bounces back stronger and healthier. I hope so because he was elite his first few years. Maybe Im over reacting on him. Perhaps we get a G and C out of the draft and let T play out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Apparently there is mutual interest with colts and Elijah Wilkinson. Several teams have interest.

FWIW….     Wilkinson is a guard.   Played about 5-6 years.   His PFF grades are all over the map.   Hard to tell if the Colts would want him as a starter or backup?   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not as bad as the fan base saw! He stank all on his own much of the first half of the season. Under Rivers he had zero sacks. Last season 7 with 10 penalties. 

Then you factor in how his lack of athleticism limits our success trying to run basic plays outside. I'm glad Saturday was able to get better play out of him. But my chips are in that the plan is for him to move inside.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not as bad as the fan base saw! He stank all on his own much of the first half of the season. Under Rivers he had zero sacks. Last season 7 with 10 penalties. 

Then you factor in how his lack of athleticism limits our success trying to run basic plays outside. I'm glad Saturday was able to get better play out of him. But my chips are in that the plan is for him to move inside.

His lack of athleticism? 

Each year, college football writer Bruce Feldman puts out a list of athletic freaks.   Smith made the annual list his senior year.
His athleticism, all aspects, is what got him drafted 37th.  

As to the stats, you just backed up my point.   The first half of the year Smith was terrible.   But so was Kelky and so was Nelson.   The OL’s team ranked was nearly dead last.   But as Raimann got better in the second half and Fries was OK in the second half, the big three all played better.   Like I said, fix those two spots and the line will be better.   Raimann is mostly there, now RG has to improve. 

Sorry, but we completely disagree. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So do we.

For what it’s worth….  

Hopkins makes nearly $20m this year with a nearly $31m cap hit.   The numbers are a little better next year.   He’s got two years left on his contract,  age 31 and 32. 

He also plays the same spot that Pittman does. 

Still interested? 

Jackson refutes non-agent negotiator claims:

The former MVP was quick to respond to Pelissero and resoundingly refuted these reports. “Stop Lying that man never tried to negotiate for me,” Jackson Tweeted. He followed up by posting a video that seemed to confirm that Francis is his business partner on a portable fitness equipment venture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

His lack of athleticism? 

Each year, college football writer Bruce Feldman puts out a list of athletic freaks.   Smith made the annual list his senior year.
His athleticism, all aspects, is what got him drafted 37th.  

As to the stats, you just backed up my point.   The first half of the year Smith was terrible.   But so was Kelky and so was Nelson.   The OL’s team ranked was nearly dead last.   But as Raimann got better in the second half and Fries was OK in the second half, the big three all played better.   Like I said, fix those two spots and the line will be better.   Raimann is mostly there, now RG has to improve. 

Sorry, but we completely disagree. 

I think it's sweet this guy admired that Smith was a workout warrior and noted he ran a 4.95 in a straight line. Kudos, he stuck out amongst his peers. So did Turay and Mathew Adam's, fine Colts.

Why have so many here watched this noted physical specimen over the years and wanted him fired from RT? 

Pretty certain just 1 reason. And the reason for NO Pro Bowls.

He graded as well as he did at PFF because of Q and the dominance of everything to the left of him. A year with Rivers who covered all his beats with his wisdom and quick release.

Smith is a plus player but we see his troubles with speed rushers and getting out in space to make those critical blocks to spring the screen game.

These are the facts and they are proven irrefutable.

The draft will tell.

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I thought this was a mis print when I saw it.

In my humble opinion this is the Eagles FO playing chess while others play checkers lol

Tunsil just re-signed for a 3 year $75M deal where his last year is in 2026 at just under $29M

The Eagles just basically slapped a $33.4M extra year on his contract for 2026.

That basically makes him locked in to a 4 year deal at $102.5M since he has cap hits of $24.2M, $22.0M and $22.9M the next 3 years.

So it rewards him for how amazing he has been and it also makes his APY over the next 4 years right at the top of the market.

But also the reality is that if top OTs are going to make $25M in 2023 then by the time we get to 2026, top OTs will almost certainly be not only in the $30M range but probably beyond that. 

They are looking and getting ahead now. Not a bad idea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe the best left over is Rock.   I’ve not seen any rumors connecting us to him, but I’d be fine if there was.  

Yeah, we're reeeaaally thin there right now and I don't think rookies will quite fill things out, even though this is a pretty decent draft class for them.