Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I have to say I’m pretty disappointed that we have not picked up any impact players in free agency. I was really hoping that Chris Ballard would have a fire lit under his keister, but I guess not. I know it’s early, but this next season is not looking too promising.

Ballard is changing is approach right now No more quick fix free agents and no more older vets because he realizes this is going to be a retooling season with a young QB.  Plus this was a pretty weak FA class. I still think we will sign some Oline guys but that might wait until after the draft to see what we still need.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard is changing is approach right now No more quick fix free agents and no more older vets because he realizes this is going to be a retooling season with a young QB.  Plus this was a pretty weak FA class. I still think we will sign some Oline guys but that might wait until after the draft to see what we still need.

If another QB hungry team trades to #3, the Colts will draft Anderson and roll with Minshew and Foles in 2023. I'd expect them to draft a QB day 2.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I think they like Hendon Hooker. Top of 2nd round. 

The problem with this gamble is hope Hooker passes the end of 1st round (a lot of teams, like the vikings, can pull the trigger), and if that happens, the question is: the can gamble thinking that maybe if hooker is not there, Stetson will be... or they think that after Hooker the drop off is big, and they will stay without a QB... 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I think they like Hendon Hooker. Top of 2nd round. 

This would be a gamble imo.  If he wants a player he has shown he will go and get him.  Moving up for Taylor and Cross are cases in point.  Waiting for a quarterback to fall to him is too risky.  There has to be another plan B.  Trading back into the 1st would seem more like a Ballard move especially if he intends to draft a quarterback.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

This would be a gamble imo.  If he wants a player he has shown he will go and get him.  Moving up for Taylor and Cross are cases in point.  Waiting for a quarterback to fall to him is too risky.  There has to be another plan B.  Trading back into the 1st would seem more like a Ballard move especially if he intends to draft a quarterback.

I think the plan is to trade down in the first round if Hooker is the target. Somewhere around pick 18-20 if they can find a trade partner maybe?

42 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I think the plan is to trade down in the first round if Hooker is the target. Somewhere around pick 18-20 if they can find a trade partner maybe?

Maybe you’re right.   But it’s hard for me to believe that trading down, collecting more picks (which sounds like Ballard) would be the way to go to take Hooker.  

I think the safer play is to take Anderson or another other top DE,  like Wilson at 4.   Then trade UP for Hooker.   Our Day Two picks, 35 and 79 should allow the Colts to move up far enough into the 1st round for Hooker.  

Put another way, ending up with Hooker as your top pick in the draft rather than the second 1st round player behind some other top DE strikes me as an easier thing to sell to a fan base and media who would like crush the Colts if they trade down to take HH. 

And I say all that as someone who really likes Hooker and would be fine if that’s who Steichen really prefers. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

A definite possibility but you are still hoping Hooker doesn’t get picked earlier when you are in the middle of the round.  If you are not going to pick a quarterback at 4 I would think you would need to be comfortable with more than one of the remaining quarterbacks not drafted.  Once you pass on a quarterback at 4 anything could happen at any time.  I could see them taking BPA at 4 then watching the draft unfold with the target of moving back into the first.  I would expect they will have a good handle on how it should play out.  Hopefully it falls as you thought and you trade back in where you want to.  But if one of your targets gets drafted then you move up to get the other choice.  Since it’s not a great class I think there’s a good chance it works out and we still get a great prospect at 4 and the quarterback.

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

By the way, I should have added that if it turns out you’re right and the Colts trade down to make their move,  I’ll try to remember to give you full credit!   :thmup:

And if I don’t, please be sure to remind me!!      :thmup:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe you’re right.   But it’s hard for me to believe that trading down, collecting more picks (which sounds like Ballard) would be the way to go to take Hooker.  

I think the safer play is to take Anderson or another other top DE,  like Wilson at 4.   Then trade UP for Hooker.   Our Day Two picks, 35 and 79 should allow the Colts to move up far enough into the 1st round for Hooker.  

Put another way, ending up with Hooker as your top pick in the draft rather than the second 1st round player behind some other top DE strikes me as an easier thing to sell to a fan base and media who would like crush the Colts if they trade down to take HH. 

And I say all that as someone who really likes Hooker and would be fine if that’s who Steichen really prefers. 

Yeah, our day two picks might also do the trick. Question is how much of a gambler Ballard will be…

33 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah, our day two picks might also do the trick. Question is how much of a gambler Ballard will be…

Yes….   Last year, Ballard was a big gambler.   

Traded down and gambled Pierce would be there at 53.    He was.   

Gambled Woods would be there at 73.  He was.  

Gambled Raimann would be there at 77.   And he was.   

Gambled he’d be able to trade back into the third round for Cross.   And he did that too. 

But on a year to year basis, it’s hard to know.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

he may to decide to go for it with minshew and our new head coach likes minshew for a starter better than any rookie in this draft. we may already have the qb they want

On 3/21/2023 at 11:57 AM, chad72 said:

I was one of the first ones who brought up Hooker to the Vikings because cousins has just one more year to go. @NFLfan didn’t think it was feasible.

That’s the thing – teams like the Bucs or the Vikings have a tad more time to let a QB like Hooker develop behind a starter. They’re my most likely candidates.

A couple of publications have the Vikings trading up to draft Levis at 7 or at 10.

From the Athletic:

7. Minnesota Vikings (from LV): Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

Trade details: Vikings send No. 23, 87 and a 2024 first-round pick to the Raiders for No. 7 and 204

The Vikings’ future at quarterback is in question. Kirk Cousins remains under contract through 2023. The team has yet to extend him. Until they do, thinking about the team’s next thrower of the football is worthwhile. Though it might be tempting to save key 2024 draft capital, especially with the potential QBs in next year’s NFL Draft, the Vikings could benefit from adding a QB now. A season to learn head coach Kevin O’Connell’s system would be a boon. So would the opportunity to sit behind Cousins.

https://theathletic.com/4327828/2023/03/22/nfl-mock-draft-2023-vikings-rodgers?source=user-shared-article

I definitely do not want to trade up. I would rather trade back, get more picks, and draft someone else. I don't like the idea of trading up when we have only 5 or 6 picks. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 10:44 AM, richard pallo said:

Yea I agree with you. Waiting is risky and moving back would definitely be a Ballard move. Grab more picks and still get your QB. I would not be opposed to this. That being said Will Anderson possibly being there at 4 could change my mind. We clearly are “adjusting” the roster since rebuilding seems to be a strong word. So grabbing a stud ER would be a good move this year. But that means probably rolling with Minshew. I’m conflicted. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

Wonder if we have any plans to draft 2 quarterbacks?

Doubt it.  Why sign Minshew then when you have Foles and Sam still on the roster then?  Also, drafting two QBs in one draft, unless you have plans for one to be a backup, is a waste of a draft pick because you are betting on at least one of your picks to fail or not use one.  As far as I know Washington has done that and that’s about it (again outside of taking one to be a backup) and I don’t think anyone is saying any team in the league needs to use Washington as an example of how to run your team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Doubt it.  Why sign Minshew then when you have Foles and Sam still on the roster then?  Also, drafting two QBs in one draft, unless you have plans for one to be a backup, is a waste of a draft pick because you are betting on at least one of your picks to fail or not use one.  As far as I know Washington has done that and that’s about it (again outside of taking one to be a backup) and I don’t think anyone is saying any team in the league needs to use Washington as an example of how to run your team.

Maybe we get rid if Sam and Foles? Was just thinking out loud. You prob. right

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Maybe we get rid if Sam and Foles? Was just thinking out loud. You prob. right

Foles I think will go at some point.  I think he’s just here in case the draft works in a way they don’t get a QB.  Sam I think is still the back up of the future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Would you guys trade our 3rd round pick for Jerry Jeudy rather then draft one with that 3rd? Or maybe colts trade down from 35 some and pick up an extra third they could use for him.

I read where the top five picks in the 3rd round is considered the sweet spot in the draft for what it’s worth.  They are looking for picks.  I would offer our 3rd and one of our multiple 5ths and hope that gets it done.

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I read where the top five picks in the 3rd round is considered the sweet spot in the draft for what it’s worth.  They are looking for picks.  I would offer our 3rd and one of our multiple 5ths and hope that gets it done.

Those will be some prime spots. 

too bad Denver already owns ours lol

we traded that pick last year In the Nick Cross draft trade

so Denver has back to back picks at pick 4&5 of round three. 

so our 3rd is from Washington in the Wentz trade at pick 79 (16th pick of the 3rd)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Would you guys trade our 3rd round pick for Jerry Jeudy rather then draft one with that 3rd? Or maybe colts trade down from 35 some and pick up a extra third they could use for him.

I would trade our 3rd round pick for Jerry Jeudy in a heartbeat.

• Like 1