Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And now we have someone saying they wouldn’t be surprised if NO quarterbacks are taken in the top-10. 

This off season has now officially gone on WAY too long. 

Oh, Dear God….    :facepalm:

Whatever you think of this years draft of quarterbacks, this class is better than last year.   Much better.    Even if two or three bust. 

Agreed on the off-season.
"Irsay's jet refueled in Jackson, Mississippi and he marked out there on Twitter.  That is a signal to his fans that he is going to trade for Lamar Jackson!"
"His jet refueled in Arkansas.  The postal code for Arkansas is "AR," so he must be drafting Anthony Richardson."
"Chris Ballard was seen in Target wearing Levi jeans....a true sign that Indy is drafting Will Levis!"
-this is how the talking heads sound this year.  

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I question how much a person this young could know?    I give him credit for doing the work.   But the people who do this for a living haven’t been doing this for a few years, they’ve been doing it for tens of years, in some cases even dozens of years.   More than 20, more than 30. 

I don't know... seems like he's 26, and he's been doing this at least 5-6 years... where is the cutoff exactly? BTW experience is not everything either. There are analysts and evaluators who have been doing this for decades and are trash at it. Just like with pretty much anything, just because someone is young or old doesn't mean they are not good/bad at what they do. 

Many people here simply go with the opinion of the analyst they agree with.   And it doesn’t matter if they’re young and inexperienced.   It often doesn’t matter if they’re just passing along rumors.   If the rumor is what a poster wants (sign Lamar!) then the poster is all for it. 

It's just an opinion. You don't have to agree with it. 

I keep trying to stress, there’s a lot of noise out there.   A lot of info that shouldn’t even be credible, but it is to some.   I try to trust the people who have been doing this a long time and have done the work and made the contacts.   Doesn’t mean they’re always going to be right.   But they’re going to be closer to reality than the rest.  

I disagree. There are good(and bad) analysts from wide variety of age groups. I follow and respect the opinions of people who have been around the NFL for 40+ years(Greg Cosell IMO is still the gold standard in draft analysis IMO), to some people who've been around for a decade or two(Zierlein, Brugler), and even some who are just entering the business but are doing quality work. I think you are missing on quality content if you are discarding people just because of their age(young or old)... 

Sorry for the rant.  

Cheers :cheers:

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

This is hilarious. I was just reading an article that everyone inside the Panthers loves C.J. Stroud and have signed off on him. But, if it was up to coach Frank Reich, the pick would be Richardson. 

“If it’s up to Frank Reich, yes,” he replied. “I think what’s gone on or, what I’ve been told, is that everybody in the room is really heavily leaning towards C.J. Stroud. C.J. Stroud did well at the combine, he did well at the pro day and I’m told that the interviews with C.J. Stroud—he’s knocked them out of the park. And he’s very genuine, he’s been very forthright and he’s a likable guy. I’m told that everybody in the building is heavily leaning—if not, checked off the box on C.J. Stroud.

“I’m told that Frank Reich, if he had his way, would go with Anthony Richardson because of the upside, because of what Anthony Richardson could be two or three years down the road. It’s just a matter of how much of a fight is Frank Reich gonna put up in that war room to say, ‘Hey, listen, I want Anthony Richardson.’ I think right now, there’s probably less than a 20-percent chance it’s Anthony Richardson and all signs are pointing towards C.J. Stroud.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/panthers-hc-frank-reich-reportedly-175025979.html

So the Panthers love everyone! Is this all a smokescreen because they really want to take Will Levis?

Why would the Panthers need a smokescreen?  They have the first pick

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would the Panthers need a smokescreen?  They have the first pick

Rumor has it. Panthers are trying to get either the Texans or Colts to move up and recoup draft capital they lost to the bears 

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I think at 4 we'll be able to choose between AR and levis.

My gut instinct tells me its going to be Levis. Levis has Jacob Eason measurables which is the last QB Ballard drafted

The Eason project didn't even last 2 years

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Rumor has it. Panthers are trying to get either the Texans or Colts to move up and recoup draft capital they lost to the bears 

Which would be a resounding "He was always our guy!" nonsense moment for whatever QB the Panthers would take after a move like that.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I question how much a person this young could know?    I give him credit for doing the work.   But the people who do this for a living haven’t been doing this for a few years, they’ve been doing it for tens of years, in some cases even dozens of years.   More than 20, more than 30. 

Many people here simply go with the opinion of the analyst they agree with.   And it doesn’t matter if they’re young and inexperienced.   It often doesn’t matter if they’re just passing along rumors.   If the rumor is what a poster wants (sign Lamar!) then the poster is all for it. 

I keep trying to stress, there’s a lot of noise out there.   A lot of info that shouldn’t even be credible, but it is to some.   I try to trust the people who have been doing this a long time and have done the work and made the contacts.   Doesn’t mean they’re always going to be right.   But they’re going to be closer to reality than the rest.  

Sorry for the rant.  

Are you saying there's no way a young whipper snapper could do the job ?

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Are you saying there's no way a young whipper snapper could do the job ?

Im saying it’s highly unlikely.   The draft is HUGELY popular.   It draws a lot of attention.   Lots of posts are designed to be click bait.   They’re done by people who don’t have the depth of knowledge and don’t have the contacts to know much. 

They didn’t play. 
They didn’t coach. 
They didn’t scout. 

They love football and are trying to turn their passion into a gig that might lead to something bigger and better.   I’m highly suspect of people like that.  I try to read them, but it’s not hard for me to get a sense of how much or how little these people actually know.  

33 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The Eason project didn't even last 2 years

Part of the problem with the Eason project was that it came during Covid.   He was originally 3rd on the depth chart and during Covid it was next to impossible to get any quality work done and Eason was in serious need of work with the coaches.  

Then, Eason was put into a bad situation by being the backup for Wentz in 21, long before he was ready.   He was forced to play when Wentz got hurt and was predictably terrible.   That was awful mismanagement by Ballard and Reich.   Same last year when Sam was thrown to the wolves against NE and was destroyed. About a half dozen posters here predicted that would happen, Belichick has been doing that to young quarterbacks for 40 years.   More QB and roster mismanagement by Ballard and Reich.   Irsay’s silly over-reaction only made a bad situation even worse. 

Six months later,  here we are. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im saying it’s highly unlikely.   The draft is HUGELY popular.   It draws a lot of attention.   Lots of posts are designed to be click bait.   They’re done by people who don’t have the depth of knowledge and don’t have the contacts to know much. 

They didn’t play. 
They didn’t coach. 
They didn’t scout. 

They love football and are trying to turn their passion into a gig that might lead to something bigger and better.   I’m highly suspect of people like that.  I try to read them, but it’s not hard for me to get a sense of how much or how little these people actually know.  

This gives me hope as an aspiring sports analyst who only ran cross country growing up. Lol

13 minutes ago, KB said:

This gives me hope as an aspiring sports analyst who only ran cross country growing up. Lol

I also ran cross country (badly!) but only to get into shape for Track and Field.   I was a sprinter (not good, but not terrible) and needed the off-season workouts.  

So I tip my cap to you!    :hat:

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Part of the problem with the Eason project was that it came during Covid.   He was originally 3rd on the depth chart and during Covid it was next to impossible to get any quality work done and Eason was in serious need of work with the coaches.  

Then, Eason was put into a bad situation by being the backup for Wentz in 21, long before he was ready.   He was forced to play when Wentz got hurt and was predictably terrible.   That was awful mismanagement by Ballard and Reich.   Same last year when Sam was thrown to the wolves against NE and was destroyed. About a half dozen posters here predicted that would happen, Belichick has been doing that to young quarterbacks for 40 years.   More QB and roster mismanagement by Ballard and Reich.   Irsay’s silly over-reaction only made a bad situation even worse. 

I know we rarely see eye to eye and have squabbles, and in this moment, it won't be any different, because

I'm not sure why you have tendencies to go out of your way to try and explain something that is relatively easy to understand without drivel. Eason and Ellingher where wasted picks. Especially Eason. He sucks supa-bad. Always did. Should have never been drafted in the fourth round. EVER

All the excuses in the world will never cover up that truth. :number1: Just stop and say he sucks. It's okay. We all know. It's like you go out of your way to speak in the opposite of laymen term. You're the guy at the bar, while everyone else is puking over bad beer, that's explaining that the brewing process was inadequate and that the vats were not properly sterilized. Ha!! When in reality, who cares. The beer sucks and is making everyone sick. 

Sometimes I really wish you would just call a spade a spade when it comes to Ballard's selections at certain positions instead of trying to be the smartest guy in the room while trying to cover up his garbage with more unnecessary garbage. Eason should have never been selected by this team. Period. 

Ellingher's arm talent was always terrible, yet they draft a guy who most likely would have never been drafted and if you tell me that some other team/s were high on Sam then they should have taken him. NOT US. This is why I personally have a hard time trusting in Ballard to get this QB pick right. I'm betting he doesn't. I hope you force me to eat crow when all is said and done as I would be happy to. But if it fails and it most definitely has a shot, then how about saying Ballard sucks, instead of throwing more garbage on top the pile. 

Pat Kirwin said it so correctly the other day. The Colts had no brainer picks with Manning and Luck. No one would've messed that up. Didn't even need to blink or have a serious thought as those two were locks. You see, the Texans have been a hot mess, and the Panthers have been decent, but the Colts as far as NFL royalty is concerned, sit miles above those two, and behind the scenes there is some head scratching going on. Mainly because most recently outside of Taylor has been void of skill talent. Unlike the days when Polian was here. 

Now currently ... No locks given. The two coming next year, Maye and Williams, are locks. This is why I'd wait and ride it out with Minshew. Not because I want another season without a QB, I just do not trust Ballard's ability to get this right. All the odds, past reflections, say he won't and that is where the smart money is going to be placed. Ballard needs LOCKS. There are none this year.

The experts just aren't saying it out loud other than Kirwin. Kirwin doesn't say that along with a conversion of pessimisms, if the faith in Ballard is there as it was when he took the job a few long years ago.

I think it's time for you to step away from the board and grab yourself a barstool alongside the rest of us. 

Just saying... 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I know we rarely see eye to eye and have squabbles, and in this moment, it won't be any different, because

I'm not sure why you have tendencies to go out of your way to try and explain something that is relatively easy to understand without drivel. Eason and Ellingher where wasted picks. Especially Eason. He sucks supa-bad. Always did. Should have never been drafted in the fourth round. EVER

All the excuses in the world will never cover up that truth. :number1: Just stop and say he sucks. It's okay. We all know. It's like you go out of your way to speak in the opposite of laymen term. You're the guy at the bar, while everyone else is puking over bad beer, that's explaining that the brewing process was inadequate and that the vats were not properly sterilized. Ha!! When in reality, who cares. The beer sucks and is making everyone sick. 

Sometimes I really wish you would just call a spade a spade when it comes to Ballard's selections at certain positions instead of trying to be the smartest guy in the room while trying to cover up his garbage with more unnecessary garbage. Eason should have never been selected by this team. Period. 

Ellingher's arm talent was always terrible, yet they draft a guy who most likely would have never been drafted and if you tell me that some other team/s were high on Sam then they should have taken him. NOT US. This is why I personally have a hard time trusting in Ballard to get this QB pick right. I'm betting he doesn't. I hope you force me to eat crow when all is said and done as I would be happy to. But if it fails and it most definitely has a shot, then how about saying Ballard sucks, instead of throwing more garbage on top the pile. 

Pat Kirwin said it so correctly the other day. The Colts had no brainer picks with Manning and Luck. No one would've messed that up. Didn't even need to blink or have a serious thought as those two were locks. You see, the Texans have been a hot mess, and the Panthers have been decent, but the Colts as far as NFL royalty is concerned, sit miles above those two, and behind the scenes there is some head scratching going on. Mainly because most recently outside of Taylor has been void of skill talent. Unlike the days when Polian was here. 

Now currently ... No locks given. The two coming next year, Maye and Williams, are locks. This is why I'd wait and ride it out with Minshew. Not because I want another season without a QB, I just do not trust Ballard's ability to get this right. All the odds, past reflections, say he won't and that is where the smart money is going to be placed. Ballard needs LOCKS. There are none this year.

The experts just aren't saying it out loud other than Kirwin. Kirwin doesn't say that along with a conversion of pessimisms, if the faith in Ballard is there as it was when he took the job a few long years ago.

I think it's time for you to step away from the board and grab yourself a barstool alongside the rest of us. 

Just saying... 

We arent getting maye or williams. Alot of stuff would have to go wrong for that to happen

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

We arent getting maye or williams. Alot of stuff would have to go wrong for that to happen

Come on dude. The Panthers had the 9th pick and moved to 1st. They were 7-10. Anything is possible, because if you think this Colts team is better than 7-10 in 2023 you and I are definitely not seeing the same team here

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Come on dude. The Panthers had the 9th pick and moved to 1st. They were 7-10. Anything is possible, because if you think this Colts team is better than 7-10 in 2023 you and I are definitely not seeing the same team here

nah lets just wait till 20990 draft we can get joe manning ivv the best qb prospect since joe namath v

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The bears didnt need a qb this year, there's no guarantee the colts can move up to 1 next year without paying an outrageous price.

It may not be trade able if a team in need of a qb gets #1.  We wouldnt have traded Luck or Peyton when we had #1

17 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Just saying... 

Maye and Williams are far from locks.  

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

The bears didnt need a qb this year, there's no guarantee the colts can move up to 1 next year without paying an outrageous price.

It may not be trade able if a team in need of a qb gets #1.  We wouldnt have traded Luck or Peyton when we had #1

My friend. What's better? Paying a "price" to have consistent winning football for the next decade or continuing to be super conservative and have mediocre seasons year after year?

It's risk vs. reward

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Maye and Williams are far from locks.  

They are more locks than these 4 and that's all that matters right now. 

7 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Chances are, this current Colts team is not going to win more than 6 games if next year which would put us in a great spot

Just now, Indeee said:

Chances are, this current Colts team is not going to win more than 6 games if next year which would put us in a great spot

If Maye and Williams are the locks you claim,  why would teams above us trade the pick?

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If Maye and Williams are the locks you claim,  why would teams above us trade the pick?

I'm not saying they would. I'm saying that it's also quite possible our team is that top team when all is said and done.

Who do you belive would have a worse record than us after this coming year?

Texans. They won't need QB if they take one this year.

Commanders? Rams? Both need QB's or might. 

IDK. I would rather take my chances then draft Richardson or Levis. 

I would go get Lamar or wait until next year

Just thought I would share as I suggested giving Lamar cap percentage the other day at the chagrin of some here. Never happen you say. 

Anyways here's a Florio headline from a few moments. Go to PFT if you want to read the article.

Which is better for a quarterback, full guarantee or cap percentage?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2023, 7:00 PM EDT

Like it or not it's heading this way ladies and gents. Now let's be the 1st to utilize or make an attempt and go get Lamar!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree no question. I just don't think the poster should say Levis is Ballard ideal pick because he's similar to Eason

a lot of the latest mock drafts have the QBs dropping.

I've seen a few that have Young 1st and then the other 3 falling...

with one putting Richardson to NE at 14... Another has Richardson going at 12 to Houston, and Levis at 17 to Seattle 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-texans-shake-things-up-at-no-2-colts-pass-on-qb-anthony-richardson-goes-outside-top-10/

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I agree no question. I just don't think the poster should say Levis is Ballard ideal pick because he's similar to Eason

Oh.   Ok.   Agreed.   I haven’t made that argument.    I think Frank was the driving force to Eason.   And I hope and expect Ballard gives Steichen his QB of choice. 

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Prehaps a team like Buffalo lose Josh Allen week 1 to a season ending knee injury. They finish 2-15 and have the #1 overall pick in 2024. Good chance they will trade that pick (for a kings ransom) as they don't need a qb.

Just an example of why teams above the colts would trade back in 2024.

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This tweet makes me think it really is Ballard.

I think if you have a good photo editing software, you can transfer the photo there and find its original date stamp associated with it. 

It's possible that the guy downloads a lot of Colts jet plane and other photos from various media, videos going back for months and years, then post those pictures as if Ballard has taken it to share just now. 

But I'm not sure if Twitter nowadays makes it look like a photo with latest date or allows to find original photo information. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I also ran cross country (badly!) but only to get into shape for Track and Field.   I was a sprinter (not good, but not terrible) and needed the off-season workouts.  

So I tip my cap to you!    :hat:

Hated to run.  found out I was a sub 16 minute 3 miler in he USMC.     Could have set a lot of records in cross country for my high school. I'm good with that.  

Archived