Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

8 minutes ago, philba101 said:

That would almost be ideal for the Colts as they could get a stud player early yet still take a crack at getting a QB they want in the mid-to-late first round. I wonder if anyone (like the teams you mentioned) have offered Ballard a package to move up to #4?

Or, say, find a way to get Mac Jones out of Belechick's dog house, while still retaining 3 picks in the top 35.  That would be a serious coup.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, philba101 said:

That would almost be ideal for the Colts as they could get a stud player early yet still take a crack at getting a QB they want in the mid-to-late first round. I wonder if anyone (like the teams you mentioned) have offered Ballard a package to move up to #4?

Deep down I’m hoping Belichick is serious about trading Mac Jones.  I would give him our 4th for Jones and their 14th.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/07/are-panthers-planning-to-pick-bryce-young/

Are Panthers planning to pick Bryce Young?

...ESPN’s Chris Mortensen believes that Panthers will select Young.

“Bryce Young is the pick,” Mortensen said. “They all love Bryce Young.”

The knock on Young is both his size and his weight. But the Panthers apparently won’t be deterred by those factors, if Mortensen is right.

The truth could be that, even if the Panthers were leaning toward Stroud, the man in charge of the organization developed an affinity for Young. In the event of a closer call, the preference of the man who owns the team becomes a significant factor.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

What Steichen is looking for in his next QB:

Steichen wants a quarterback who has an “obsessive,” quality, via Zak Keefer. To play quarterback for the Colts, Steichen needs someone who is committed to improving and committed to winning on the football field.

“The guys that love playing that position and love the grind and love the process,” Steichen said, “have a chance to be successful.”

https://clutchpoints.com/colts-news-shane-steichen-obsessive-qb-2023-nfl-draft

Which QB in this draft fits this description best?

Everything we know about Levis fits this to a tee.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it’s important to make the distinction of being a very hard worker and being obsessive about football. I am sure all 4 are hard workers. But what he know about Levis is he takes that to the next level.

I have heard the same about Young as well. Apparently Reich was "blown away" about how impressive Young was when they got him in the classroom. Football knowledge, reading coverages, diagramming plays, etc. These skills come from serious commitment to one's craft.

I have heard the same about Young as well. Apparently Reich was "blown away" about how impressive Young was when they got him in the classroom. Football knowledge, reading coverages, diagramming plays, etc. These skills come from serious commitment to one's craft.

Yea heard young and levis were great there

I get the vibe Stroud Is the same way. He just looks like a intense dude.  Richardson is so young and has played so few games he might grow into that but I don’t think he is there right now.

My question is if he was on the bench for two years why were his mechanics still so bad. Did he even take the time to work on them.

18 hours ago, philba101 said:

Since we were talking about it. Has anyone seen any predictions on what the Colts could possibly get if they traded the 4th overall pick? (Besides Lamar Jackson that is)

I think it gets Ballard a one way ticket out of town. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I get the vibe Stroud Is the same way. He just looks like a intense dude.  Richardson is so young and has played so few games he might grow into that but I don’t think he is there right now.

My question is if he was on the bench for two years why were his mechanics still so bad. Did he even take the time to work on them.

I found Stroud to be very serious as well. Even in interviews where TV personalities are trying to have fun, Stroud is on his game. He was my favorite of the four QB's after reviewing their tape. He is not flashy, he doesn't get rattled easily, he is one cool customer. I think I wrote "silent assassin" in my notes. I think Stroud will be gone before the Colts pick at #4, but I would be curious to see if the Colts would take Stroud over Levis or Richardson if given the option.

6 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I' ran a 15.12 in a 5k on the grass in cross country in High School

You’re way way out of my league!   You’d be finishing 3 miles right around the time I’d be finishing 2 miles!    And 2 miles for me going up and down hills was pure torture for me.     

Yikes!    :giveup:

15 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I think it gets Ballard a one way ticket out of town. 

You could be right. If he blows this draft, Irsay may not be interested in any more excuses. That being said, if he gets Steichen a young QB to develop, I think Irsay will be patient with the process.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A inexperienced QB with a 37 first time HC seems like a disaster.

I am sure the first year will be challenging if not bad for whatever rookie QB we get, most rookie QB's don't light up the league year one. Some people use the same line of thinking to advocate for someone like Lamar, saying all the college QB's will need several years to develop, whereas Lamar has proven he can play in this league and can do so immediately.

Just now, philba101 said:

I am sure the first year will be challenging if not bad for whatever rookie QB we get, most rookie QB's don't light up the league year one. Some people use the same line of thinking to advocate for someone like Lamar, saying all the college QB's will need several years to develop, whereas Lamar has proven he can play in this league and can do so immediately.

I don’t expect either guy to light it up. But there is a difference from showing flashes and being overwhelmed. Richardson just seems like a huge swing where there are a lot more ifs then the others. The people who say just throw him out there I think is just wrong here. We are talking about a very inexperienced young QB.  This team needs hope now not 3 years from now. Maybe he will surprise me if we take him. But I just don’t see him playing much at all year one.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Deep down I’m hoping Belichick is serious about trading Mac Jones.  I would give him our 4th for Jones and their 14th.  

I would float a 3rd rounder and see if he bites.

Mac is the victim of poor coaching his 2nd year.

It's very impressive for Mac to make the Probowl and lead the pats to the playoffs his 1st year

I have no arguments that Richardson is the least experienced of the four and possibly might not fit the timeframe for what the Colts want to do (not sure where Ballard and Steichen stand on this)? A franchise like the Texans though (for example), might say by the end of three years, which of these four QB's might have the highest ceiling? Maybe they determine that to be Richardson because of his freakish athletic profile. In that case, they may take a shot at Richardson at #2. Additionally, teams with QB's currently in place like the Seahawks, Titans, and Raiders may want to get Richardson so that they can sit and develop him for a couple years as well. So, each franchise will have to decide what approach they want to take. What is curious to me is why Levis is said to be falling down some teams draft boards. He certainly has not done anything with his public workouts to cause concern, maybe some teams are seeing stuff in their private meetings that they do not like? Maybe it is all a smokescreen so they can get Levis to fall to them lower in the draft. There are a lot of factors at play here.

4 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I would float a 3rd rounder and see if he bites.

Mac is the victim of poor coaching his 2nd year.

It's very impressive for Mac to make the Probowl and lead the pats to the playoffs his 1st year

I agree on his accomplishments in his 1st year and the poor coaching his 2nd year.  That’s why I don’t think he bites on a 3rd rounder.  They could trade him and take a quarterback with their 14th pick.  If you’re going to do it why take a chance on waiting to someone falling to the 14th pick when you can move all the way to 4?  I think that’s a win win for both teams if the Pats are serious about trading him.  I would still try for Lamar first but if that is not going to happen I would call the Pats and make them an offer.  4 for 14 and Jones.  

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

At this point are we starting to just talk ourselves into these guys, knowing who most likely will be there when we pick?

Is that where we are?

I would say yes, that is where we have landed after last year's debacle of a season. I don't expect Ballard to change that course by moving up, so sadly, that is where we are. Hopefully our new coach can work some magic with whoever we get.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re way way out of my league!   You’d be finishing 3 miles right around the time I’d be finishing 2 miles!    And 2 miles for me going up and down hills was pure torture for me.     

Yikes!    :giveup:

My PR in high school was 14:43 for a 5K. It was on one of the flattest courses of our season in Greensburg. 

I stopped running after college and got pretty overweight. Just started back up again, and boy is it hard! My mind thinks I can still run like the old days, but my body says "it's time to turn out the lights" after practically 1 mile. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree on his accomplishments in his 1st year and the poor coaching his 2nd year.  That’s why I don’t think he bites on a 3rd rounder.  They could trade him and take a quarterback with their 14th pick.  If you’re going to do it why take a chance on waiting to someone falling to the 14th pick when you can move all the way to 4?  I think that’s a win win for both teams if the Pats are serious about trading him.  I would still try for Lamar first but if that is not going to happen I would call the Pats and make them an offer.  4 for 14 and Jones.  

I think you have the right idea but #4 is way too much for Mac since he was drafted at #15.

I would offer multiple late round picks to get the trade done.

My best offer would be #35. So instead of going after hooker in the second round which would not be a guarantee, trade #35 and have mac in the bag.

Then go after Anderson or Carter with your 4th. 

That would be a heckuva draft

13 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Ben Gay on my legs and sprint.   I was not a runner. Just wanted it over with.    Fastest was 15:10.  but that is controversial on the distance.    Usually in the 17 minute range.    Was the 3rd fastest in my company.  So those dudes were serious!!!

I could out swim all of them though.  HAHA

I could do that if I was in my car

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

My PR in high school was 14:43 for a 5K. It was on one of the flattest courses of our season in Greensburg. 

I stopped running after college and got pretty overweight. Just started back up again, and boy is it hard! My mind thinks I can still run like the old days, but my body says "it's time to turn out the lights" after practically 1 mile. 

I feel your pain.    I let myself go in my 40’s and it stayed that way till my 60’s.   

Now, 66, I’m faced with the reality that time is precious and I might only have 10 years left.   Doubt it, but it IS possible.   So starting a number of years ago I changed my diet and started exercising.   These days I ride an exercise bike.   I ride long and hard.   The weight has been falling off, I’m down 30-35 pounds.   But it’s really hard.   I can’t get below 175 and I’m trying like crazy. 

My health is much much better.   My doctor is thrilled.  I might be his favorite patient.   I’m retired so I have time to exercise like mad.   And I do.   So who knows?   I might just live 20 more years!?   Maybe more.    Life can be a challenge. 

12 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I think you have the right idea but #4 is way too much for Mac since he was drafted at #15.

I would offer multiple late round picks to get the trade done.

My best offer would be #35. So instead of going after hooker in the second round which would not be a guarantee, trade #35 and have mac in the bag.

Then go after Anderson or Carter with your 4th. 

That would be a heckuva draft

I don’t see what his draft slot at 15 has to do it.  He outperformed that in his 1st year as you mentioned.  I have no problem with 4 for 14.  At 14 you should get a starter at WR, CB, OL, ER.  Same difference.  And you still have #35 to get another starter.  That’s a great draft if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I feel your pain.    I let myself go in my 40’s and it stayed that way till my 60’s.   

Now, 66, I’m faced with the reality that time is precious and I might only have 10 years left.   Doubt it, but it IS possible.   So starting a number of years ago I changed my diet and started exercising.   These days I ride an exercise bike.   I ride long and hard.   The weight has been falling off, I’m down 30-35 pounds.   But it’s really hard.   I can’t get below 175 and I’m trying like crazy. 

My health is much much better.   My doctor is thrilled.  I might be his favorite patient.   I’m retired so I have time to exercise like mad.   And I do.   So who knows?   I might just live 20 more years!?   Maybe more.    Life can be a challenge. 

Congratulations on the hard work, and the weight loss!

I am also working hard at mine.  Have lost 25 pounds in the past 7 weeks, but still have a LONG way to go.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t see what his draft slot at 15 has to do it.  He outperformed that in his 1st year as you mentioned.  I have no problem with 4 for 14.  At 14 you should get a starter at WR, CB, OL, ER.  Same difference.  And you still have #35 to get another starter.  That’s a great draft if you ask me.

Mac Jones hasn't shown he is worth trading the 4th overall pick for in exchange for 14.  Not happening 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Next you’ll want give the next 6 years worth of picks for Jacoby Brissett…

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is a difference with Richardson and the other 3. The other 3 have way more games played and a much better concept of what it takes being a QB.

Please explain the differences in each offense and how more playing time in each would help.   

38 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Hey, Carson is also available......just saying

Well, I saw today that Levis is not only being compared to Jeff George but now he's being compared to Wentz as well, so you might just get Carson after all... the second coming of Carson :facepalm:

Archived