Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think he's got more fire than Frank I will say that.  Im not against the pick at all even though I liked Morris the best.   I pegged him as one of the ones I thought had leadership capabilities to the point I could see him being a head coach. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Maybe.  What Great QBs did he have a realistic shot at drafting?  Herbert?  Hurts?  Not Lawrence or any top guys outside of the Herbert year.... I know I'm missing some, but it is t like there have been a large group of above avg. To great QBs. Within trading picks for range, that Ballard has just said thanks but no thanks to....

You just named TWO but I'll dig a little deeper. Of course Lawrence and Burrow were top overall picks for teams needing qbs so they were not realistically feasible at all. I would say that any of these drafted options would have been better in Allen, Jackson, Mahomes (who I'll get back to), Mac Jones, or Tua. I also believe that Pickett or Ridder would've been a better and cheaper option than this PAST version of a washed Matt Ryan. My whole point is that Ballard lacks vision in the modern wide open era as the league continues to change the rules that lean towards the offensive side of the ball to PROMOTE qb play and scoring. He CHOSE to say no to moving up because he still sees the qb position as plug and play which has directly led to the team's NON relevancy at this point. Ballard's focus on DEFENSE, a run first offense, BIG methodical pass catchers, the trenches, leaders of men, the Colt way etc. ALL sound good but represents the OLD ways in TODAY'S game.

In Ballard's first season as gm for the Colts he saw the Chiefs move from 27th to 10th in order to snag Patrick MaHomes. Do you think they have ANY regrets? I HIGHLY doubt it. That is the SAME season in which Luck was placed on IR BEFORE the season started due to the "mysterious" shoulder injury that was already being rumored to be serious enough to possibly be career threatening. A season in which he missed the ENTIRE campaign and used some unconventional methods in the healing process. I know hindsight is 20/20 but qb draft possibilities should have been explored just in case Luck was compromised upon return because MOST of our picks stunk that year anyway. Even for that season Ballard thought the AWFUL Scott Tolzien would be the answer at qb (WHAT?!!) before making a move for Brissett.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well the tweet does say it’s a guess.   Not sure why those two names come to anyone’s mind, especially Pep. 

Not a fan. 

That's the NFL. It's all(mostly?) about who knows who and who has worked with whom. Steichen has worked with Hamilton on the Chargers(OC and QB coach) and with Kevin Patullo with the Eagles last 2 years. 

3 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Online says Colts will try work out a deal with Shane. Hopefully had contract signed last week. Don't need another Josh situation.

1 minute ago, Virtuoso80 said:

48 more pages to go before the official announcement.

Tonight after the game or tomorrow?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

My comment about not being a fan was aimed at Pep Hamilton….  Not at Zack Hicks.   Just want to be clear.   Sorry if it wasn’t before. 

I wasn't confused. Your comment was the latest response that I happened to read the was related to the tweet.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

That's the NFL. It's all(mostly?) about who knows who and who has worked with whom. Steichen has worked with Hamilton on the Chargers(OC and QB coach) and with Kevin Patullo with the Eagles last 2 years. 

Well….  If Steichen has worked with Pep  before then I’ll hope he knows Pep is not a very good coach.   Not a very good person either.  (Stanford story). 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  If Steichen has worked with Pep  before then I’ll hope he knows Pep is not a very good coach.   Not a very good person either.  (Stanford story). 

Yeah... no idea. They had good success developing Herbert and getting him ready to play early, no idea how to apportion the credit for that. But again - we don't know for sure what their relationship is. Maybe they hate eachother :D But if they don't I don't think it's an outlandish guess. 

41 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only thing I don't understand is why Callahan didn't make the final 4. Why did Saturday get to that point? Was there a coaching flaw in Callahan that we are unaware of?

Other than a few bits and pieces, we don't know much about all of these guys

Im willing to bet the Eagles system isn't very different from the Colts system.   They may have done a few things differently based on the uniqueness of Hurts, but when it comes to what's actually in their playbook versus what's in ours I bet it's not drastically different.  Im sure there are some new things he will do that's different from Frank, but I don't think it will be a situation where there's a steep learning curve.  If Im correct in my thinking then that will be more of the new QBs teammates who can help to get him in sync with everybody else. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree, but generally the real GM should have a much better track record picking a HC than an "armchair GM". I won't hold Saturday against Ballard as he is against him being the HC, but he missed with Reich and would have missed with Mcdaniels based on his coaching records with Dever and Las before and after we attempted to hire him. 

It's just funny how often a real GM sometimes misses on a coaching candidate he interviews for 8-12 hours. Nathaniel Hackett is the most recent example last year for the Broncos. That's a hire a fan would make with limited info, not a GM that has more info than any Bronco fans. 

So if LUCK hadn't QUIT you are certain Reich was "a miss"?
  Hahaha how bout them "arm chair" GM's. 

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im willing to bet the Eagles system isn't very different from the Colts system.   They may have done a few things differently based on the uniqueness of Hurts, but when it comes to what's actually in their playbook versus what's in ours I bet it's not drastically different.  Im sure there are some new things he will do that's different from Frank, but I don't think it will be a situation where there's a steep learning curve.  If Im correct in my thinking then that will be more of the new QBs teammates who can help to get him in sync with everybody else. 

So then Sam can be that veteran leader starter from the get go.  :hat:

24 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I take back everything.... Ballard you are now on the RIGHT track!!!! Now let's get the qb so we can ROCK!!! Man I'm stoked.... :thmup:

SORRY, no take backs. It will forever be your and many other's :headspin: legacy.

And of course there will be endless more :monkeydance:to come. 

"We are what you think we are". Who said that? chuckle

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

What we’ve assumed for several pages now…

A bunch of us wanted Steichen to be “the guy.”  Myself included.  We arm chair QB, complain when things don’t go our way and blame anyone within ear/keystroke shot.  I mentioned after Ballard’s press conference where he accepted a lot of responsibilities for the overall failures of the team that I would stop complaining and give him a shot and support.  I’ll start with that support right here.  If he’s wrong with this hire, I was wrong in my desire to see it as well.

I hope Ballard and, if this actually happens, Coach Steichen nothing but success because that will mean success for the team the majority of us here love.  

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s what I thought. Makes sense he could be OC under  Steichen. It’s still kind of funny how this is all coming back full circle.

It will be interesting to see if Steichen gives up the play calling duties or keeps it like Reich.  Reich did say he has not yet decided whether to keep them in Carolina. 

7 minutes ago, joecolts said:

A bunch of us wanted Steichen to be “the guy.”  Myself included.  We arm chair QB, complain when things don’t go our way and blame anyone within ear/keystroke shot.  I mentioned after Ballard’s press conference where he accepted a lot of responsibilities for the overall failures of the team that I would stop complaining and give him a shot and support.  I’ll start with that support right here.  If he’s wrong with this hire, I was wrong in my desire to see it as well.

I hope Ballard and, if this actually happens, Coach Steichen nothing but success because that will mean success for the team the majority of us here love.  

It feels like Ballard has a fresh start now and I hope things turn around for him. I wanted him gone but after the emotion wore off he is well respected around the league so it was important to keep him and let him make this hire. That way there wasn’t to much disruption. 

The fact the defense looks like they will have some stability now that he should be keeping Bradley. 

Archived