HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Possible. Yes.

Likely. Perhaps

I think there have been a lot of things in this process that have seemed un-Jeff like. But they have still happened.

I think the other things that have happened that seem un-Jeff-like, are almost minor and trivial in comparison.   

Wanting your own GM is on an entirely different level.   Several rungs up the ladder.   The head coaches who get that are in demand.   They have leverage.   Jeff doesn’t have any of that.   I’m not even sure he has that with Irsay?  

So, color me very skeptical on this one….

PS — if someday we all find out it was actually true, then I will think Jeff handled this moment as badly as possible. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the other things that have happened that seem un-Jeff-like, are almost minor and trivial in comparison.   

Wanting your own GM is on an entirely different level.   Several rungs up the ladder.   The head coaches who get that are in demand.   They have leverage.   Jeff doesn’t have any of that.   I’m not even sure he has that with Irsay?  

PS — if someday we all find out it was actually true, then I will think Jeff handled this moment as badly as possible. 

Personally I don't believe that it's true.  It's just some media guy wanting attention.  

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your attempt to insult me falls short because nothing in this forum is serious. For your insult to effect me I would have to care.  

Literally posting what and how other people should interact with an internet message board.....  And mere posts later......claiming "not to care" lol.

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's a pretty infantile response.

What I originally wrote that triggered your response was true. And I believe you know it.

We are both fans of the Colts. We want the Colts to succeed. Why don't we just move on?

Will this post make it to 200 pages? Do some of you not think these reporters make up things to try and get attention and disarray started it happens EVERYDAY.  It would be pretty funny if Ballard hires Jeff.. I can see Ballard saying "hey look I don't care what anybody outside the building thinks. We did our due diligence on this search and I think Jeff is the best guy for the job." 

Now if he says that I will be on every news station as a psychic. lol  

Just now, t-rex said:

I think they have decided. But they are respecting the NFL's wishes to not "break news" during SB weekend.

Maybe they leak it to Shefter or Rap.. and they announce it in the middle of the super bowl... Payback for the luck ordeal.

Just now, strt182 said:

Maybe they leak it to Shefter or Rap.. and they announce it in the middle of the super bowl... Payback for the luck ordeal.

Adam Schefter at SB½

"Breaking News The Indianapolis Colts are hiring Shane Steichen OC for the NFC Champion Philadelphia Eagles as Head Coach"

Nick Sirianni to Steichen 

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair point.

However, if this story is true, I actually don't think it's close to his worst moment.

During his opening press conference, Saturday said this (direct quote):

"Here's the deal man. None of us are promised a good job. I may be terrible at this and at the end of eight games I'll say 'God bless you. I am no good."

There is no objective measure in which Saturday was a good interim coach. In fact, he is factually among the worst interim coaches in the 102 year history of professional football.

If he were a person of his word, he would have ended his head coach pursuit at the end of the season.

He did not.  And this, based on the public persona I had of Jeff before this process started, is very un-Jeff like. 

3 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Fair point.

However, if this story is true, I actually don't think it's close to his worst moment.

"Here's the deal man. None of us are promised a good job. I may be terrible at this and at the end of eight games I'll say 'God bless you. I am no good."

There is no objective measure in which Saturday was a good interim coach. In fact, he is factually among the worst interim coaches in the 102 year history of professional football.

If he were a person of his word,  he would have ended his head coach pursuit at the end of the season.

He did not.  And this, based on the public persona I had of Jeff before this process started, is very un-Jeff like. 

I think Ballard was being honest when he said at his year end press conference when he said no one should judge Jeff based on his time as HC.   That Jeff inherited a really bad situation.  That he’d do better if he was able to build his own staff. 

I’m firmly in the “No on Jeff” side of things.   But I believe Ballard when he said Jeff would do better than he did with his own staff.  The problem is, that’s a very low bar to clear.   He’d still be learning on the job.  The franchise can’t afford an experiment that stands a good chance of failing.   The franchise can’t, Ballard can’t, and whether he knows it or not, Irsay can’t either.  The loss of credibility would be devastating. 

I think it’s a stacked deck against Jeff.   Nice guy.  Can help the franchise as a consultant.  But he’s not a head coach. 

25 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Will this post make it to 200 pages? Do some of you not think these reporters make up things to try and get attention and disarray started it happens EVERYDAY.  It would be pretty funny if Ballard hires Jeff.. I can see Ballard saying "hey look I don't care what anybody outside the building thinks. We did our due diligence on this search and I think Jeff is the best guy for the job." 

Now if he says that I will be on every news station as a psychic. lol  

Or psychotic? :dunno: haha

46 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Adam Schefter at SB½

"Breaking News The Indianapolis Colts are hiring Shane Steichen OC for the NFC Champion Philadelphia Eagles as Head Coach"

Nick Sirianni to Steichen 

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Had me busting out laughing with that one haha 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Ballard was being honest when he said at his year end press conference when he said no one should judge Jeff based on his time as HC.   That Jeff inherited a really bad situation.  That he’d do better if he was able to build his own staff. 

I’m firmly in the “No on Jeff” side of things.   But I believe Ballard when he said Jeff would do better than he did with his own staff.  The problem is, that’s a very low bar to clear.   He’d still be learning on the job.  The franchise can’t afford an experiment that stands a good chance of failing.   The franchise can’t, Ballard can’t, and whether he knows it or not, Irsay can’t either.  The loss of credibility would be devastating. 

I think it’s a stacked deck against Jeff.   Nice guy.  Can help the franchise as a consultant.  But he’s not a head coach. 

What happens if it results in a playoff birth by his second season , let alone if it brought in  Big Trophy .

19 minutes ago, strt182 said:

What happens if it results in a playoff birth by his second season , let alone if it brought in  Big Trophy .

Then Irsay will have been proven right about Jeff.    But at what cost?

I think Jeff will have a hard time attracting quality coordinators and assistants.   I think the franchise will have a hard time attracting quality free agents.  Who would want to hitch themselves to this franchise?  

I don’t think the franchise would be taken seriously for a long, long time.  Saturday would have to have a long string of good years before things would change.  

That’s a lot of risk to accept for any franchise. 

The franchise needs a fast return to respectability.   I don’t think Saturday is the man best qualified to do that. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I am probably the biggest supporter of Jeff being the new HC on the forum,  after reading your post I have to agree with most of it.  In my opinion This team's credibility has been suspect since Ballard screwed up trying to hire Mcdaniels, and settled on hiring Reich.  The team culture started to decline at that moment, and has been in the decline ever since.  I still think Saturday can be a successful HC for us, I think he already has the players endorsement and I think the attitude and the culture of the team would greatly improve if he is named our new HC.

2 hours ago, t-rex said:

Fair point.

If he were a person of his word, he would have ended his head coach pursuit at the end of the season.

I think all of this is unnecessarily harsh. No, he was not a good coach by any measure. But he didn't give his word that he was going to step aside if his eight games didn't go well. He made an off hand comment suggesting he might not even decide to pursue the permanent job. But people are acting like he promised to bow out if he didn't win a certain number of games, and he did not.

10 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I am probably the biggest supporter of Jeff being the new HC on the forum,  after reading your post I have to agree with most of it.  In my opinion This team's credibility has been suspect since Ballard screwed up trying to hire Mcdaniels, and settled on hiring Reich.  The team culture started to decline at that moment, and has been in the decline ever since.  I still think Saturday can be a successful HC for us, I think he already has the players endorsement and I think the attitude and the culture of the team would greatly improve if he is named our new HC.

I’m sorry that after 5 years you think Ballard screwed up the McDaniels hire.  He didn’t.   McDaniels did.  

Did you know that Ballard and McDaniels shared the same agent?   He’s Bob LeMonte, considered the top agent for coaches and execs.  And LeMonte told McDaniels NOT to back out of the deal.  And when JM did anyway, LeMonte fired him as a client.   Ballard did nothing wrong. 
And his credibility was so damaged, that he was voted GM of the year after the 2018 season, Frank’s first year. 

Ballard has twice been voted fairest GM to deal with by agents.   And is repeatedly acknowledged as one of the best judges of talent.  

CB is not perfect.  He’s made plenty of mistakes that have been widely discussed right here.   But CB didn’t lose any credibility over the McDaniels situation.  McDaniels did. 

Sorry for the long rant. 

Archived