Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not sure salary for the HC is even talked about in interviews.   I think that’s done with the agent.    Way too awkward to do it face to face.   Too much potential to ruin the whole process.  

The one area money IS talked about interviews is salary for the coaching staff.  HC candidates want to know they can offer competitive salaries to bring their staff.   That’s a hot topic. 

I didn't mean to infer that the salary was discussed. What I meant was that Irsay probably asked him if he would take the job rather than stay with Philly as an assistant . Or at least give a good indication on that. 

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sorry I’m just getting caught up. Looks like Callahan too. So it’s down to Morris or Steichen if we’re assuming it’s not Saturday. Is Rich still in it?

Seems so; supposedly there are 4 candidates who would keep Bradley as DC. 

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sorry I’m just getting caught up. Looks like Callahan too. So it’s down to Morris or Steichen if we’re assuming it’s not Saturday. Is Rich still in it?

Wink Martindale

Eric Bieniemy

Rich Bisaccia

Aaron Glenn

Mike Kafka

Brian Callahan

Ejiro Evero

Raheem Morris

Shane Steichen

Jeff Saturday

This is the updated list. The candidates in bold are the likely two favorites.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Let's put it this way. The only two offensive coaches left are Steichen and some guy not named Sunday.

1 minute ago, t-rex said:

Wink Martindale

Eric Bieniemy

Rich Bisaccia

Aaron Glenn

Mike Kafka

Brian Callahan

Ejiro Evero

Raheem Morris

Shane Steichen

Jeff Saturday

Based on whatever being told online.

6 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Wink Martindale

Eric Bieniemy

Rich Bisaccia

Aaron Glenn

Mike Kafka

Brian Callahan

Ejiro Evero

Raheem Morris

Shane Steichen

Jeff Saturday

I'm a little worried. Darius Leonard gave the guy not named Sunday a huge endorsement on the Pat MCafee show today.

Just now, JColts72 said:

Morris report of interviewing well too 

I would not be surprised if he were the coach of the team next week.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But we didn’t know of a first either.

The fact Irsay met with Steichen before Ballard even interviewed him the next day I think says a lot.

I think it will be Steichen. But I believe Bieniemy is in play. He did get a first interview.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But we didn’t know of a first either.

The fact Irsay met with Steichen before Ballard even interviewed him the next day I think says a lot.

1 minute ago, t-rex said:

Should also be no surprise Jeff gets chosen by his owner.

12 minutes ago, t-rex said:

I think it will be Steichen. But I believe Bieniemy is in play. He did get a first interview.

The fact we didn’t know Eric didn’t have a first interview until colts posted it tells me there may have been a second. Also Ballard is close with him. So yeah it wouldn’t shock me. There seems to be some secrecy with him.

20 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Would be absolutely shocked if he is hired. I give him the least amount of odds to land the position.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/10/shaq-leonard-give-jeff-saturday-a-coaching-staff-full-offseason-and-itd-be-a-great-spot/

Shaq Leonard: Give Jeff Saturday a coaching staff, full offseason and it’d be a great spot

During an appearance on the Friday episode of the Pat McAfee Show, linebacker Shaquille Leonard called Saturday a “great coach,” adding it makes him “so mad” when he hears people say Saturday was bad...

Leonard also mentioned that Saturday was instrumental in shutting the linebacker down for the season, as Leonard was dealing with a nerve issue.

“I felt like I was out there on a dead leg. I had no feeling in my left side and I was just trying to fight through,” Leonard said. “I just wish I had someone to tell me, this is not good for you. Let’s take a seat and let’s get healed before you get back on the field.

That’s why I was happy Jeff Saturday came along. Jeff Saturday was like, ‘This is not you. And we’ve got to figure this thing out.’ And he was like, ‘I’m shutting you down.’

“That was by far the best thing he could’ve done for me.”

The three-time, first-team All-Pro added that he feels Saturday is unfairly evaluated given the circumstances of his hiring as interim coach.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The fact we didn’t know Eric didn’t have a first interview until colts posted it tells me there may have been a second. Also Ballard is close with him. So yeah it wouldn’t shock me. There seems to be some secrecy with him.

This article states that EB had only one interview. I suppose it is possible there was some secret interview, but thats doubtful...

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/07/indianapolis-colts-eric-bieniemy-head-coach-interview-went-great/

Eric Bieniemy thought HC interview with Colts 'went great'

The Indianapolis Colts interviewed Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy for their head coach vacancy during the first round of meetings, but he didn’t get a second interview with the team.

Even though he wasn’t among the eight finalists who received a second interview with the Colts, Bieniemy said he felt the interview “went great” with general manager Chris Ballard.

Since we are all hearing how the Colts are doing such an extensive and thorough search, it would seem odd, if they were to select EB, having only had one single interaction with him 

I have not read the other 6538 pages in this thread so I'm jumping all in the kool aid right now......

It's gotta Shane Steichan due to his previous tenure with Gus Bradley in San Diego/Los Angeles.

Also, in SD/LA he coached Rivers and Herbert - very much traditional pocket passers and the offenses were successful.

Then he went to Philly and coached Hurts - very much an RPO running QB and has been successful as well.

So different styles of offense with different styles of QB's and has modeled his offense around their skillsets.

So, the Bryce Young and Will Levis pocket passers and the C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson mobile type QB's could be drafted, and he could feasibly coach them up as rookies as he has shown previously.

Best of both worlds with this hire because the defensive staff will have little to no turnover and he can bring in someone he trusts as OC and OLine coach......

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm a little worried. Darius Leonard gave the guy not named Sunday a huge endorsement on the Pat MCafee show today.

If you look at Leonards history he tends to always pump up and standby the guy hes in the building with. He did the same for Brisett before we got Rivers.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I have not read the other 6538 pages in this thread so I'm jumping all in the kool aid right now......

It's gotta Shane Steichan due to his previous tenure with Gus Bradley in San Diego/Los Angeles.

Also, in SD/LA he coached Rivers and Herbert - very much traditional pocket passers and the offenses were successful.

Then he went to Philly and coached Hurts - very much an RPO running QB and has been successful as well.

So different styles of offense with different styles of QB's and has modeled his offense around their skillsets.

So, the Bryce Young and Will Levis pocket passers and the C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson mobile type QB's could be drafted, and he could feasibly coach them up as rookies as he has shown previously.

Best of both worlds with this hire because the defensive staff will have little to no turnover and he can bring in someone he trusts as OC and OLine coach......

That's all good, but can he be "a leader of men" which Ballard and Irsay have said is vital

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

100 percent.   Your last two posts will be among my favorites of the day.   Thanks!

IMO,  because the franchise has mishandled the last two years so badly, I think politically speaking they are almost forced to take a QB this year, whether they think there’s a good one or not.  And that becomes even worse when people realize that next years QB class looks much better.   The USC kid, the North Carolina kid, and I think there’s a third kid who I can’t remember.  And my hunch is all of them might grade higher than the top kids this year.  But I don’t think Irsay and Ballard can preach patience, not take a QB this year, and tell the fan base we’ll take a QB next year.   Maybe they could have had 21 and especially 22 gone better, but not now.  I think they’ve painted themselves into a corner and I worry this is when bad decisions are often made. 

As you may know, I’m a longtime admirer of Ballard.  But I don’t envy his position now.   He has to nail this entire off-season.  Nail the HC hire.  Nail the QB pick.  Nail fixing the OL.   Nail the coordinators and coaching staff.   Nail the always difficult salary cap decisions.  That’s a gauntlet to navigate.  

A year from now there has to be reason for optimism, reason for hope, a brighter future.  Much easier said than done. 

Thanks again…. 

Thanks & I agree 100%. It’ll definitely be exciting to see how this works out.

And I venture to say that Ballard looks at this a little bit differently, yea he could pick the wrong one, get fired, and it wouldn’t be shocking or unusual.

But what if he gets all the decisions right and turns the franchise around. It’s a chance to cement himself in Colts history, if not NFL. This is what separates the good from the great.

9 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It's nearly 7000 pages due to how long the HC search process has been. Thankfully, the search will be coming to and end sometime next week. Unless Colts do Round 3 of interviews then it will be even more pages here.

Archived