Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer a HC with Offense experience, there really isn't a good track record of Defensive head coaches with rookie QBs unless they have very good OCs but they get there own HC jobs.

Lets just say I don't want another Luck situation where he goes from Arians to Pep Hamilton to Chud. Young QBs need stable offensive philosophies.

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Thoughts on Kellen Moore?

I think I like his offense, at least the idea behind it. Could he lead a team, assemble a legitimate coaching staff, etc….that is what I don’t know.

I think he is overrated like most things cowboys haha, but in all seriousness the cowboys offense hasn't been to impressive outside lamb and Pollard. It seems their defense is what's been keeping them going

On the pregame show the CBS insider said Saturday is legitimate candidate for the job and Irsay thinks if he gets him an OC and a QB he can be a great coach.  I have a bad feeling it’s going to be Saturday.  

I know he’s really getting old but I wouldn’t be shocked if Irsay called Tom Moore to bring him back as the OC at least for a year or two if he keeps Saturday.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

On the pregame show the CBS insider said Saturday is legitimate candidate for the job and Irsay thinks if he gets him an OC and a QB he can be a great coach.  I have a bad feeling it’s going to be Saturday.  

I know he’s really getting old but I wouldn’t be shocked if Irsay called Tom Moore to bring him back as the OC at least for a year or two if he keeps Saturday.

I never trust cbs. They usually are talking more of who they think then any actual rumors. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I really think that move would fracture the organization.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think he is overrated like most things cowboys haha, but in all seriousness the cowboys offense hasn't been to impressive outside lamb and Pollard. It seems their defense is what's been keeping them going

Well, their offense has been one of the top offense in the league under him. He is the one that gets the credit for Dak’s improvement. 

He did well with Cooper Rush while Dak was injured. Dak has a lot of interceptions this year but I haven’t watched enough to see if it’s mainly on Dak or what?

I was mainly talking scheme/system. 

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Well, their offense has been one of the top offense in the league under him. He is the one that gets the credit for Dak’s improvement. 

He did well with Cooper Rush while Dak was injured. Dak has a lot of interceptions this year but I haven’t watched enough to see if it’s mainly on Dak or what?

I was mainly talking scheme/system. 

Dak looked really bad today. 

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I really think that move would fracture the organization.

Moore or Saturday?  If it’s Saturday it’s not what I want to happen just what I fear is going to happen based on the CBS insider and that Irsay doesn’t seem interested in talking to guys like Harbaugh or Payton.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Moore or Saturday?  If it’s Saturday it’s not what I want to happen just what I fear is going to happen based on the CBS insider and that Irsay doesn’t seem interested in talking to guys like Harbaugh or Payton.

Saturday, unless the people that objected to his hire in the first place changed their minds, but if Irsay makes the executive decision despite others saying its a bad move. Then I could see that fundamentally hurting the organization and an exodus of the front office

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Saturday, unless the people that objected to his hire in the first place changed their minds, but if Irsay makes the executive decision despite others saying its a bad move. Then I could see that fundamentally hurting the organization and an exodus of the front office

Fully agree he’s not who I want either.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ben Johnson 

I really like him in the sense of knowing how to run the ball and how he has made Goff good again. The only question marks is can he build a coaching staff and transition to HC (Not be Hackett). If they did hire him, I would hope he would bring Duce Staley with him as OC because it would be a promotion for Staley and I think the offense needs his  passion.

Candidates I would like to see be finalists would be:

OCs: Ben Johnson, Shane Steichen, Shane Waldron

College: Harbaugh (only if he is okay not having control of personnel, which is a hard sell) 

Former HC: Payton

DCs: DeMeco Ryans (only because I think he will bring an OC from the Shanahan tree)

Wildcards: Duce Staley

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hiring Saturday was thinking outside the box. If you kept him, you would really be going against the grain.

If Saturday had an elite QB, an OC and a few things were patched up, do I think you could win?  Probably, but keeping a coach with the type of record Saturday's had just isn't done.  Lol.  If Saturday were still on ESPN, he would call it crazy.  Only Irsay would try to pull it off.  I wouldn't put it past him.

Just now, #12. said:

Hiring Saturday was thinking outside the box. If you kept him, you would really be going against the grain.

If Saturday had an elite QB, an OC and a few things were patched up, do I think you could win?  Probably, but keeping a coach with the type of record Saturday's had just isn't done.  Lol.  If Saturday were still on ESPN, he would call it crazy.  Only Irsay would try to pull it off, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Yeah I am not pulling for it.  I am probably on team Harbaugh or Ryans with a really good OC.  

36 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Thoughts on Kellen Moore?

I think I like his offense, at least the idea behind it. Could he lead a team, assemble a legitimate coaching staff, etc….that is what I don’t know.

To me experience is a higher priority with this HC hire. If I am the Colts I am not trying to identify the next Bill Walsh but am trying to steady the ship and avoid a disaster. So from that standpoint I am not high on Moore. 

I wouldn't be opposed to a first time HC but I think all or most lack experience both in terms of number of years and variety. 

When Kyle Shanahan was hired by the 49ers that was after nearly 10 years (granted he got his first OC gig younger than most) and working for different coaches/organizations.

In addition to years as a position coach Brian Daboll was the OC for 1 year in Cleveland, Miami, KC, and Alabama before becoming the Buffalo OC and now the Giants HC.

That's the type of experience I would look for and I don't think any of the candidates have it. 

5 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Eric Bellamy? never seems to move up.

Eric Bieniemy isn't gonna get hired, he has to much of a bad history to get hired. Basically he is a PR nightmare for whatever team hires him.

February 1998: According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy and teammate Kanavis McGhee after a bar fight. Bieniemy was charged with disorderly conduct and fighting in public, but he pleaded no contest. He and McGhee received deferred sentences and performed court-mandated community service.

July 4, 1990: According to the Orlando Sentinel, Bienemy pleaded no contest after allegedly shoving a firefighter. The University of Colorado Boulder suspended Bieniemy for one game in the upcoming season.

September 1993: Colorado police arrested Bieniemy, then in the NFL. The Orlando Sentinel reports that Bieniemy allegedly grabbed a female parking attendant by the neck and threatened her. The University of Colorado Boulder banned Bieniemy from its campus for one year as a result.

April 2001: According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge, three months after he joined the football staff as a running back coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations. 

Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.

https://www.sportscasting.com/chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemys-troubling-rap-sheet-includes-a-disturbing-assault-charge-against-a-woman/

I would be prefer the head coach coming in have a strong background in offense (i.e. have experience as an offensive coordinator, putting together a playbook, etc)

IMO it would make it that much easier to aid in development of whoever we choose as a young QB.  

It would be really nice if we somehow caught lightning in a bottle and found the next Andy Reid, Sean McVay or Sean Payton.  

Archived