Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh dear Harbaugh and Luck meeting with Irsay

Restinpeacesweetchloe

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I can't get over how hardly nobody complained about John Lynch becoming a GM but some lost their crap when Jeff got hired as a head coach. As Denzel said in the Philadelphia, "explain that to me like I am a 6 year old" lmao 

Right....An INTERIM head coach.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well Harbaugh is and has been a fan favorite every since he played for the team. His name is on the ring of honor even though he only played for the Colts for 4 years. Some fans see the 1 year he took the 49ers to the SB and think he could do the same here. He more than wore out his welcome with the 49ers. IMO his personality fits the collage level, not the pros. Irsay should give this more thought. 

Alex Smith stunk before Harbaugh took over with SF, he also made a SB with Kaep at QB, Why you think he can't coach at the pro level baffles me. Not trying to start a debate but I think he has proved he can coach on the pro level really well with average QB's.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

If they end up 5-11-1 or something, I wouldn't put it past him. I can't imagine it will help an actual HC search to have a GM on the hot seat anyways. Irsay could give Ballard a vote of confidence, but I doubt HC candidates would buy it. And they would know that Ballard could be gone within a year, which would put their job security in jeopardy.

Ballard out of the picture allows the Colts to go in a new direction without limitations.

But, in this fanciful hypothetical, Irsay won't have to because Ballard will step down (ala his mentor, John Dorsey) to pursue other opportunities.

But this is truly just conjecture. There still has to actually be a HC search.

Just because your opinion of Ballard is low does not mean his reputation as a GM in the league is low. I am quite sure there would be a few candidates for the head coaching job that would like to work with Ballard. This narrative that Ballard is thought of as a bad GM is ludicrous.   

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Max Duggan is not a highly regarded prospect anywhere on the rating services.  Looks like another late round prospect possibly.   Don't need another one of those. 

He is really good. I would not be on here saying so if I did not think so. He runs a 4.4 40, his TD/INT ratio is off the charts, his team is also 11-0. Facts that nobody can dispute. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just because your opinion of Ballard is low does not mean his reputation as a GM in the league is low. I am quite sure there would be a few candidates for the head coaching job that would like to work with Ballard. This narrative that Ballard is thought of as a bad GM is ludicrous.   

One of 2 things can be true:

1. Ballard gave Reich the players he wanted and the players still didn't achieve a high level on offense.

2. Ballard didn't give Reich the players he wanted and that was why the players didn't achieve a high level on offense.

The first one is an indictment on Ballard's evaluation or Reich's ineptitude to maximize the talent or both, the second one is an indictment on Ballard's stubbornness. Either is a cause for concern. Bring in a strong headed HC like Harbaugh, 2. will not work, 100%

Again, this is all speculation but none of us know the truth there. Typically, the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Football Operations is what I expect Saturday to be part of next year, not HC or GM. Lots of teams have VP or Head of Football Operations as a position. Plus if Irsay's daughters don't feel like they want to be heavily involved in running the team, the Football Operations guy can be the HC/GM liaison etc.

Yeah that was my thinking when Saturday was first hired, and I'm still very curious how it all works out in January. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I can't get over how hardly nobody complained about John Lynch becoming a GM but some lost their crap when Jeff got hired as a head coach. As Denzel said in the Philadelphia, "explain that to me like I am a 6 year old" lmao 

You keep saying this, even though it's not true. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yeah that was my thinking when Saturday was first hired, and I'm still very curious how it all works out in January. 

You keep saying this, even though it's not true. 

I read the link you sent me but most people had very little problem with John getting that job. Not only that John has been great. I think Jeff can coach (last 3 games showed me that) but at this point it would not surprise me if we lost the rest of our games.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

1. Ballard gave Reich the players he wanted and the players still didn't achieve a high level on offense.

2. Ballard didn't give Reich the players he wanted and that was why the players didn't achieve a high level on offense.

The first one is an indictment on Ballard's evaluation or Reich's ineptitude to maximize the talent or both, the second one is an indictment on stubbornness. Either is a cause for concern. Bring in a strong headed HC like Harbaugh, 2. will not work, 100%

Again, this is all speculation but none of us know the truth there. Typically, the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

There's no question in my mind that Ballard and Reich were on the same page regarding player acquisition. 

Also, any thinking that Ballard isn't respected around the league, or that he's difficult to work with, is not based in reality. And I know it's been up for debate, but it seems pretty clear to me that Ballard didn't want Reich fired, at least not when it happened. 

The questions about Ballard are whether he's still in control, can he build a great roster, and will he use his resources the way teams do in 2022 to acquire a good QB and compete in free agency. I don't think there are going to be any HC candidates who need Irsay to vouch for Ballard; more likely it would be the other way around.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The first one is an indictment on Ballard's evaluation or Reich's ineptitude to maximize the talent or both, the second one is an indictment on stubbornness. Either is a cause for concern. Bring in a strong headed HC like Harbaugh, 2. will not work, 100%

The offense has stalled as it has due to the complete failure of the O-line.   The Oline has gone from roughly top-5, top-10 to the bottom of the pile.   About 31/32.  

That’s mostly on Ballard.   Frank had his issues too,  but I think the primary responsibility on this mess is with the GM. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I read the link you sent me but most people had very little problem with John getting that job. Not only that John has been great. I think Jeff can coach (last 3 games showed me that) but at this point it would not surprise me if we lost the rest of our games.

You're not acknowledging the truth. People were just as critical of Lynch's lack of experience as they were about Saturday's lack of experience.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're not acknowledging the truth. People were just as critical of Lynch's lack of experience as they were about Saturday's lack of experience.

I didn't see one person act like Bill Cowher when John got his job, Bill acted like it, it was the end of the world when Jeff got a few games being an Interim. Bill is a big baby.  

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Alex Smith stunk before Harbaugh took over with SF, he also made a SB with Kaep at QB, Why you think he can't coach at the pro level baffles me. Not trying to start a debate but I think he has proved he can coach on the pro level really well with average QB's.

It's not a point of him not knowing what a head coaches job is its his problem with knowing how to deal with grown men. Coaching very young players wanting a pro contract is a whole different ball game than coaching grown-up men who are already in the league. Treating pro players like they're collage players doesn't work.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not a point of him not knowing what a head coaches job is its his problem with knowing how to deal with grown men. Coaching very young players wanting a pro contract is a whole different ball game than coaching grown-up men who are already in the league. Treating pro players like they're collage players doesn't work.

Neither one of us know whether Jim would be a good coach here. I won't pretend too but his track record is good on the pro level and nearly great in college. Hard telling.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is really good. I would not be on here saying so if I did not think so. He runs a 4.4 40, his TD/INT ratio is off the charts, his team is also 11-0. Facts that nobody can dispute. 

You like him that's great but the people who do this for a living apparently do not.  And they have more information at their disposal besides watching games on TV.  I tend to trust the evaluations of the professionals.  They are not always right but would still lean on their expertise. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You like him that's great but the people who do this for a living apparently do not.  And they have more information at their disposal besides watching games on TV.  I tend to trust the evaluations of the professionals.  They are not always right but would still lean on their expertise. 

Only thing I can think of is maybe it is his attitude? You are right, I have no ability to interview the guy but I haven't heard of him being a bad person or not a leader.

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not even a little.   And Lynch has demonstrated his ability by doing a great job with the 49ers.   

I don’t even know why you’d think that?  

But, unless I'm forgetting something, Lynch had no such demonstrated ability before he was hired for that job, no?

14 minutes ago, buccolts said:

But, unless I'm forgetting something, Lynch had no such demonstrated ability before he was hired for that job, no?

Yes….   You are correct.   No real world experience.   My response was to the poster who says Saturday is just as qualified if not MORE qualified than Lynch.   

What is that based on?   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….   You are correct.   No real world experience.   My response was to the poster who says Saturday is just as qualified if not MORE qualified than Lynch.   

What is that based on?   

Yeah, "if not MORE" is a stretch. 

Maybe Jeff's extensive knowledge, and working relationship (consultant) with the same franchise is the theory?

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What is that based on?   

Both were qualified the same- big difference is a GM job is miles ahead of a coaching job, where was Bill Cowher when Lynch got hired with his teenage rant is what I want to know. Jeff will not even be the head coach next year, IMO. He was hired on to evaluate things more than anything and it is only for 8 games. We could easily be 3-0 with someone off the street which is funny. Superman sent me a link of some being critical of Lynch of getting his position but none of them acted like Cowher, Joe Thomas, La Confora, or ol' boy from the Pats that you say I never heard of when Jeff got hired to be a coach for 8 games lmao .

16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I know but that has nothing to do with Luck.

Andrew Luck was the quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts.

The Indianapolis Colts are owned by Jim Irsay

The Colts play at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Big Ten Football Championship Game will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Michigan Wolverines are playing in the Big Ten Football Championship Game.

Jim Harbaugh is the head coach of Michigan.

Jim Harbaugh was head coach of the Stanford Cardinals.

Andrew Luck was the quarterback of the Stanford Cardinals.

It all begins and ends with Andrew Luck.

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

To me it seems in bad taste for Irsay to be interviewing coaches while Saturday is busting his hump as current HC.

What happened to never interviewing for a coaches job while that coach is still employed ?

Yeah, I agree. I doubt Irsay will do a formal interview though. It is all hearsay now and league rules need to be followed for official interviews.

8 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

To me it seems in bad taste for Irsay to be interviewing coaches while Saturday is busting his hump as current HC.

What happened to never interviewing for a coaches job while that coach is still employed ?

You make a good point.   

Honestly, I seriously doubt there would be an actual job interview this week.  That shouldn’t happen until January.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Saturday becomes…..   the GM?

How is he even qualified?    I think if JS stays he’d become something like assistant to the owner or some such title. 

Multiple Indpls Area Talk Show Hosts have been putting out the idea of JS being Future GM or at least Player Personnel Director since the day Jeff was appointed Coach.  They report that Jeff has been Irsay’s “inside man” for a while now, giving input on who should be kept, and who should be gone.  On the field, and in the office.   At least those are the prevailing rumors here…

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not at all what I am saying. I assume he’s very well-respected, as are most GMs.

It’s not as much what they think of Ballard or if they would want to work with him. It’s about having a clean slate and job security and avoiding potential instability.

If the incumbent GM is on the hot seat (and Ballard should be if they only win 5-6 games in his 6th year), then a HC could shortly be dealing with a new GM who didn’t hire him and maybe wants to go in a new direction or has a different philosophy. 

Most teams look for a new pairing. And I just think it’s the better course. 

If the plan is to just hire Saturday as HC, then it doesn’t matter I guess. But that’s a unique situation and I don’t think that’s the end game. 

3 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:
5 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Okay, so I've read this point of view a few times here and I keep asking myself "How long ago was that?  12 years ago?". Is his view even relevant at this point?

Jim Irsay must think it is relevant, hes having him come talk to him

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not even a little.   And Lynch has demonstrated his ability by doing a great job with the 49ers.   

I don’t even know why you’d think that?  

Oh man.... Did Lynch reach across the table representing the NFLPA,help negotiate and advert a lockout? Has Lynch coached for any amount of time at the NFL level? Please enlighten me on Lynches qualifications to be a GM.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Saturday becomes…..   the GM?

How is he even qualified?    I think if JS stays he’d become something like assistant to the owner or some such title. 

Well he wasn’t qualified for the HC role either. 

But I just used the GM title as one example of how this could play out. Ultimately, the FO is where I think he ends up. Something other than a bucket list had  to get him to take this opportunity. And Saturday strikes me as a guy who has a plan. 

As for his qualifications, he did lead the NFLPA and was critical in the 2011 labor negotiations. So I would think he understands that part of the business. And he seems to have cultivated strong relationships and is very well-respected in that circle. He’s also clearly a good leader. So he’s not your normal former NFL player. 

And it’s not unprecedented, as we saw with John Lynch taking over as SF GM after being in the broadcast booth. And he’s had tremendous success.

And the fact Saturday mentioned that he had discussions with Lynch on what he did to prepare to be GM just adds some fuel to the fire. Saturday said he used that discussion to prepare to be HC, but the lessons would apply to GM as well.

And I think he’s getting a chance right now to do a lot of hands-on learning to be GM or some FO exec. 

There are just a lot of parallels here to Lynch. This Harbaugh gossip only adds to it, as I would assume Harbaugh would want to have Shanahan’s level of control. And that would take some of the burden off Saturday.

It’s all just fun conjecture. Maybe nothing happens, but it just seems like there is more to it.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Well he wasn’t qualified for the HC role either. 

But I just used the GM title as one example of how this could play out. Ultimately, the FO is where I think he ends up. Something other than a bucket list had  to get him to take this opportunity. And Saturday strikes me as a guy who has a plan. 

As for his qualifications, he did lead the NFLPA and was critical in the 2011 labor negotiations. So I would think he understands that part of the business. And he seems to have cultivated strong relationships and is very well-respected in that circle. He’s also clearly a good leader. So he’s not your normal former NFL player. 

And it’s not unprecedented, as we saw with John Lynch taking over as SF GM after being in the broadcast booth. And he’s had tremendous success.

And the fact Saturday mentioned that he had discussions with Lynch on what he did to prepare to be GM just adds some fuel to the fire. Saturday said he used that discussion to prepare to be HC, but the lessons would apply to GM as well.

And I think he’s getting a chance right now to do a lot of hands-on learning to be GM or some FO exec. 

There are just a lot of parallels here to Lynch. This Harbaugh gossip only adds to it, as I would assume Harbaugh would want to have Shanahan’s level of control. And that would take some of the burden off Saturday.

It’s all just fun conjecture. Maybe nothing happens, but it just seems like there is more to it.

Great factual post. Not sure he will agree...in fact , I know he won't.

40 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Oh man.... Did Lynch reach across the table representing the NFLPA,help negotiate and advert a lockout? Has Lynch coached for any amount of time at the NFL level? Please enlighten me on Lynches qualifications to be a GM.

Oh man….   None of the things you listed make him the least bit qualified to be a GM. 

They might make him qualified to be the Vice President of the NFLPA. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Max Duggan is not a highly regarded prospect anywhere on the rating services.  Looks like another late round prospect possibly.   Don't need another one of those. 

Thank you.   I’ve been meaning to make the exact same post.  Glad you beat me to it.      :thmup:

Archived