Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh dear Harbaugh and Luck meeting with Irsay

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

If Irsay really is bringing Harbaugh in to recruit him for a head coaching job, I want to know what Ballard thinks.  Because it seems to me that more and more, Irsay is doing Ballard's job instead of Ballard.  I'm going to dictate which quarterback is starting.  I'm going to dictate you fire this coach.  I'm going to dictate you hire that temporary coach. I'm going to recruit this coach to come to the team.  Ballard's gotta be like, I don't know why I'm here.  I'm being overruled and usurped at every turn by the owner.  Do I even make any of the decisions anymore?

Maybe he's being interviewed for Ballard's job. Did you ever think of that?

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

Maybe he's being interviewed for Ballard's job. Did you ever think of that?

I did, actually.  Harbaugh may also want GM responsibilities along with the HC title.  And if Irsay already knows that Ballard is on his way out, and if he wants to hire Harbaugh, he may be doing this on purpose.

Of course, this all conjecture compounded upon conjecture.  And we won't really know until January.  Or later.

It might be easier than we think to get JH out of Michigan . Reportedly he was in hot water with Michigan after he almost took the Vikings Job. Reports on ESPN and NFL Channel had him ready to accept when the Brian Flores Suit was filed, and then the Vikings backed off.  JH returned to Michigan for a reduced salary. Reportedly $7 @ year.

I’m not saying he wants to come here, I’m just saying he may not be tied as tightly to Michigan as we think.  As it’s always said- he tends to wear out his welcome everywhere he goes.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay knows that Harbaugh would sell a lot of tickets. 

Personally I don't think Harbaugh would make a good head coach for the Colts.  

Maybe he would but I’ve never understood those who buy tickets for the coach.  He’s not playing and personally that’s what I buy a ticket to see.

I'm getting some serious late 2017-early 2018 vibes here. Remember when Jim flew Gruden in for a meeting? 

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe he would but I’ve never understood those who buy tickets for the coach.  He’s not playing and personally that’s what I buy a ticket to see.

It's the nostalgia factor. You'd be surprised at how many Hoosiers still support Harbaugh from his Colts days. I'm cautiously a fan, but I'm biased because I grew up on the 90's Colts. 

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I can buy Irsay is interested in Harbaugh. That part makes total sense. 

Andrew Luck coming back is a pipe dream before anyone thinks I think he is coming back. I know it is. Having said that if he did, it would be the story of the year. I would feel like this again, like 10 years youngerhappy homer simpson GIF- Harbaugh as coach or GM is possible though and I would be for that and do this Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Msybe we do, and maybe we don’t.   The point is Harbs is not someone you hire with the plan he’ll be there for 8-10 years. 

He’s the guy you hire if you think your window is roughly 3-5 years.   Because after that odds are the entire building will want him gone.   Players, coaches, scouts, support staff,  everyone. 

That was his history at San Diego, Stanford and San Francisco.  Three stops.  Michigan has been somewhat the exception to the rule.   We’ll see…

This. Harbaugh wears everyone out. Michigan was close to moving on but kept him when he agreed to some concessions. He’s stubborn to a fault and has a dinosaur mentality on offense. And some people on this board would want to not only hire him as coach but also make him GM? Please no. I want a modern coach who knows how to run a modern offense…… or at least would hire the correct personnel to run one. The Colts can and I think will do better than Jim Harbaugh. 

2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

This. Harbaugh wears everyone out. Michigan was close to moving on but kept him when he agreed to some concessions. He’s stubborn to a fault and has a dinosaur mentality on offense. And some people on this board would want to not only hire him as coach but also make him GM? Please no. I want a modern coach who knows how to run a modern offense…… or at least would hire the correct personnel to run one. The Colts can and I think will do better than Jim Harbaugh. 

When Michigan gave him a paycut  because he couldn't beat Ohio St aged well didn't it??chuckling homer simpson GIF- Michigan is going win it all this year IMO. He punked Ohio twice.

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Harbaugh is and has been a fan favorite every since he played for the team. His name is on the ring of honor even though he only played for the Colts for 4 years. Some fans see the 1 year he took the 49ers to the SB and think he could do the same here. He more than wore out his welcome with the 49ers. IMO his personality fits the collage level, not the pros. Irsay should give this more thought. 

13 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’m uh… hmmm. Kinda surprising honestly. Michigan is 2nd in CFP standings. I find it kind of hard to believe he’s potentially willing to leave there. 

I agree. He has finally got the recognition he has been looking for by beating Ohio and now he lives a Simi God status at Michigan. 

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well Harbaugh is and has been a fan favorite every since he played for the team. His name is on the ring of honor even though he only played for the Colts for 4 years. Some fans see the 1 year he took the 49ers to the SB and think he could do the same here. He more than wore out his welcome with the 49ers. IMO his personality fits the collage level, not the pros. Irsay should give this more thought. 

Yeah Harbaugh is a favorite of mine too.  I am not arguing people would buy tickets to see Harbaugh or any coach for that matter.  I know it happens I am just saying I don’t get it.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I'm getting some serious late 2017-early 2018 vibes here. Remember when Jim flew Gruden in for a meeting? 

It's the nostalgia factor. You'd be surprised at how many Hoosiers still support Harbaugh from his Colts days. I'm cautiously a fan, but I'm biased because I grew up on the 90's Colts. 

Yeah I am not arguing they would.  I am just saying I don’t get buying tickets for a coach in general.  Still I know it happens.

I think Irsay would love Jim as his coach.  I believe Irsay believes our window is still open for a SB and Jim can win it for him.   Jim just needs a quarterback to do it.  Would Jim leave Michigan and try to win it with a rookie quarterback?  I have my doubts.  But I could see him leaving if he could bring in a veteran quarterback like Jimmy G.   The team is pretty much built for Jim’s smash mouth football. Just missing the quarterback and a few other pieces.  I could see him being interested if he could get a quarterback he likes.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think Irsay would love Jim as his coach.  I believe Irsay believes our window is still open for a SB and Jim can win it for him.   Jim just needs a quarterback to do it.  Would Jim leave Michigan and try to win it with a rookie quarterback?  I have my doubts.  But I could see him leaving if he could bring in a veteran quarterback like Jimmy G.   The team is pretty much built for Jim’s smash mouth football. Just missing the quarterback and a few other pieces.  I could see him being interested if he could get a quarterback he likes.

You honestly think Harbaugh would leave his God like image job to jump into the pros? 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I did, actually.  Harbaugh may also want GM responsibilities along with the HC title.  And if Irsay already knows that Ballard is on his way out, and if he wants to hire Harbaugh, he may be doing this on purpose.

Of course, this all conjecture compounded upon conjecture.  And we won't really know until January.  Or later.

Love the conjecture. But after spending years running one of the top NCAAF programs, I have to imagine Harbaugh will want as much control as he can get.

After this season, Saturday moves into the GM role and Harbaugh takes over as HC and runs the team.

Basically, Saturday takes over the John Lynch role and Harbaugh is Shanahan.

If we recall, during his introductory presser, Saturday even referenced the conversations he had with....John Lynch.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You honestly think Harbaugh would leave his God like image job to jump into the pros? 

Maybe. He's been doing it for 8 years. If Michigan win the national championship, he will have accomplished the main goal. So the next step would be winning the SB.

He's 58, which is about the age that Carroll was when he jumped from his cushy status at USC to go back to the NFL. And Carroll had been at USC for about the same length of time.

History has a funny way of repeating itself.

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Love the conjecture. But after spending years running one of the top NCAAF programs, I have to imagine Harbaugh will want as much control as he can get.

After this season, Saturday moves into the GM role and Harbaugh takes over as HC and runs the team.

If we recall, during his introductory presser, Saturday even referenced the conversations he had with....John Lynch.

You forgot about Ballard.  I highly doubt Irsay will fire him. 

My theory on Jim and Jim is that Jim Harbaugh was picked by Bob Irsay under Tobin and Jim Irsay was never a fan of Harbaugh.  Tobin said JH's passion for winning was second to none and only equaled by Walter Payton or something to that effect.   When JI took the reigns and hired Polian, Harbaugh was gone  (of course this was mostly because of Manning but i just feel it didn't sit well with JH even though he was quoted as saying he would draft manning or leaf if he was in charge)

I know JI put JH in the ring of Honor but i believe that was only because of fan pressure.

This meeting may be to mend fences and see if they can work together.  I hope so.  I would love to have JH as the HC.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

You forgot about Ballard.  I highly doubt Irsay will fire him. 

If they end up 5-11-1 or something, I wouldn't put it past him. I can't imagine it will help an actual HC search to have a GM on the hot seat anyways. Irsay could give Ballard a vote of confidence, but I doubt HC candidates would buy it. And they would know that Ballard could be gone within a year, which would put their job security in jeopardy.

Ballard out of the picture allows the Colts to go in a new direction without limitations.

But, in this fanciful hypothetical, Irsay won't have to because Ballard will step down (ala his mentor, John Dorsey) to pursue other opportunities.

But this is truly just conjecture. There still has to actually be a HC search.

20 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

My theory on Jim and Jim is that Jim Harbaugh was picked by Bob Irsay under Tobin and Jim Irsay was never a fan of Harbaugh.  Tobin said JH's passion for winning was second to none and only equaled by Walter Payton or something to that effect.   When JI took the reigns and hired Polian, Harbaugh was gone  (of course this was mostly because of Manning but i just feel it didn't sit well with JH even though he was quoted as saying he would draft manning or leaf if he was in charge)

I know JI put JH in the ring of Honor but i believe that was only because of fan pressure.

This meeting may be to mend fences and see if they can work together.  I hope so.  I would love to have JH as the HC.

Harbaugh was 35 and pretty much toast at that point. Plus, they had the #1 pick. Polian traded him to BAL to play with Marchiboda.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Harbaugh was 35 and pretty much toast at that point. Plus, they had the #1 pick. Polian traded him to BAL to play with Marchiboda.

I know.  I think he even knew deep down but I think his competitiveness made him a little bitter about it.  Just a theory.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Well Luck knows JH, played for him and was a good to great player.  Irsay might want to interview him about his thoughts on JH as a coach

Okay, so I've read this point of view a few times here and I keep asking myself "How long ago was that?  12 years ago?". Is his view even relevant at this point?

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

You think Saturday becomes…..   the GM?

How is he even qualified?    I think if JS stays he’d become something like assistant to the owner or some such title. 

Harbaugh would easily build upon the defensive players drafted too, IMO, and IF, a big IF, Vic Fangio is open to coming back, we can still run hybrid fronts with the players in place. JT would also flourish with Harbaugh, who probably would get a FB drafted and more quick hitting West Coast principles installed, IMO. 

Harbaugh, in other words, is a great match for the players on the roster, outside probably Matt Ryan, IMO. Having said that, Harbaugh might go after a QB with more mobility for starters that can run boot legs, use his legs and throw on the run well (describes Max Duggan well, yeah have to shameless plug my guy :)).

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Saturday becomes…..   the GM?

How is he even qualified?    I think if JS stays he’d become something like assistant to the owner or some such title. 

It is really tough to say what Irsay is thinking. I am sure Jeff will be in the plans in some way. He will talk to Harbaugh, Luck it sounds like, and probably even Peyton after the crapshow we have had here in 2022. Hell, Matt Ryan could even be the OC next year. Nothing would shock me at this point. Sounds crazy I know.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Harbaugh would easily build upon the defensive players drafted too, IMO, and IF, a big IF, Vic Fangio is open to coming back, we can still run hybrid fronts with the players in place. JT would also flourish with Harbaugh, who probably would get a FB drafted and more quick hitting West Coast principles installed, IMO. 

Harbaugh, in other words, is a great match for the players on the roster, outside probably Matt Ryan, IMO. Having said that, Harbaugh might go after a QB with more mobility for starters that can run boot legs, use his legs and throw on the run well (describes Max Duggan well, yeah have to shameless plug my guy :)).

Max Duggan is my guy. I am just basing that on the year he has had this year, he is fast/mobile, accurate, and has winning intangibles. He may not be great but I would put money on him not stinking. He will be much better than Sam IMO

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is really tough to say what Irsay is thinking. I am sure Jeff will be in the plans in some way. He will talk to Harbaugh, Luck it sounds like, and probably even Peyton after the crapshow we have had here in 2022. Hell, Matt Ryan could even be the OC next year. Nothing would shock me at this point. Sounds crazy I know.

Football Operations is what I expect Saturday to be part of next year, not HC or GM. Lots of teams have VP or Head of Football Operations as a position. Plus if Irsay's daughters don't feel like they want to be heavily involved in running the team, the Football Operations guy can be the HC/GM liaison etc.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Max Duggan is my guy. I am just basing that on the year he has had this year, he is fast/mobile, accurate, and has winning intangibles. He may not be great but I would put money on him not stinking. He will be much better than Sam IMO

Max Duggan is not a highly regarded prospect anywhere on the rating services.  Looks like another late round prospect possibly.   Don't need another one of those. 

Archived