Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh dear Harbaugh and Luck meeting with Irsay

Restinpeacesweetchloe

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Top-100?!? 

I would’ve guessed you have me in the top-1000!     Or top-10,000!!    And I’d be fine with either.     :thmup:

As to living in Cali….   I’m 65 and have lived here 61 years.   There are lots of very good reasons for AND against living here.   And I respect anyone’s view on either side. 

But to live out here, you need money.  And lots of it.   Otherwise, it’s a tough place to live.   Plenty of downside issues besides the insane price of buying a home.  And before anyone decides to make a move, come visit and see for yourself.  You might change your mind either way before you make your ultimate decision. 

Some people would probably have me in the top 1000 if I am lucky happy homer simpson GIF

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a heckuva post.   One of your very best!   I’ll give you one of my highest compliments by simply saying I’m sorry I didn’t think of it. 

I’d say the one area where I might offer some pushback is the issue of his arrogance.  First, I think this is the first year for me that it’s really come to the surface in ways that are glaring.   Second, compared to most GMs Ballard’s arrogance is mild, honestly.   I thought Grigson was FAR more arrogant, I don’t think it’s even close, at least not for me as a former media guy.  

But if Ballard’s son ever reads this I’d tell him to pass this along to his dad.   If CB can’t handle the Indy media, good luck handling media most anywhere else.  If he ever becomes the GM elsewhere he’d be eaten alive in most any other media market, large or small. 

When CB meets the media in early January he needs to be much, MUCH more humble because his hour long final presser is going to much, MUCH harder than he’s used to.   And deservedly so. 

Thanks NCF!!! Even when I came up with the post I felt arrogant was little strong to describe Ballard. I agree that Grigson wore that sleeve more than Ballard. To me Ballard is VERY media savvy and by all accounts he is approachable too BUT at this point moving forward whether it's with the Colts next season or another team down the line he NEEDS a slice of HUMBLE pie. 

Being in charge of anything for the FIRST time usually requires some type of trial and error to figure out what works to garner LONG TERM success. Whatever the approach may be the "great" ones are able to adapt and adjust accordingly.

Initially I was skeptical about the hiring of another first time gm so soon after the Grigson failure. My eyebrow was further raised on HOW the whole Josh McDaniels NON hire went down by signing his staff and announcing Josh's hire BEFORE they had his signature on the dotted line allowing the weasel to back out with no compensation for the Colts.

Ballard did GAIN my respect later on with some solid moves, good drafts picks and by the initial handling of Luck's unexpected departure but as time went on it became clear to me that his LONG TERM team build would led to MEDIOCRITY at best with little chance to CONTEND for at minimum a division title or SB run.

Now six years in and a BELOW .500 record I do believe Ballard has rested on the EARLY narrative of him being one of the best which in turn has kept him from taking a HARD look at his approach as gm. Ballard can media blame all he wants but at the end of the day it is HIS responsibility and job to build an UPPER TIER type of team for the Indianapolis Colts. Like everything else in the workforce if he can't get it done then it's time to move on and find someone who can....

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why would Harbaugh prefer Ballard. I think this means he has his own GM and Ballard would be gone. Not that he likes one of the GM better.

Because Ballard does have some strengths.  He has assembled a good scouting staff and supportive office personnel. Not to mention they do a great job managing the cap.  If Ballard leaves there is a good chance many staffers and scouts leave as well.  A big turnover in front office will take a number of years to absorb.   Keeping continuity in the front office would probably make the transition to Harbaugh easier.  I don't think Ballard would have a problem working with a coach like Harbaugh.  He did everything he could to help Reich.  I don't see why that would change with Harbaugh as the coach.  He does not strike me as a confrontational type of GM.  More of a supportive type of GM.  I think Jim likes Harbaugh and Ballard. I think that would be his preferred combination right now. 

39 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Thanks NCF!!! Even when I came up with the post I felt arrogant was little strong to describe Ballard. I agree that Grigson wore that sleeve more than Ballard. To me Ballard is VERY media savvy and by all accounts he is approachable too BUT at this point moving forward whether it's with the Colts next season or another team down the line he NEEDS a slice of HUMBLE pie. 

Being in charge of anything for the FIRST time usually requires some type of trial and error to figure out what works to garner LONG TERM success. Whatever the approach may be the "great" ones are able to adapt and adjust accordingly.

Initially I was skeptical about the hiring of another first time gm so soon after the Grigson failure. My eyebrow was further raised on HOW the whole Josh McDaniels NON hire went down by signing his staff and announcing Josh's hire BEFORE they had his signature on the dotted line allowing the weasel to back out with no compensation for the Colts.

Ballard did GAIN my respect later on with some solid moves, good drafts picks and by the initial handling of Luck's unexpected departure but as time went on it became clear to me that his LONG TERM team build would led to MEDIOCRITY at best with little chance to CONTEND for at minimum a division title or SB run.

Now six years in and a BELOW .500 record I do believe Ballard has rested on the EARLY narrative of him being one of the best which in turn has kept him from taking a HARD look at his approach as gm. Ballard can media blame all he wants but at the end of the day it is HIS responsibility and job to build an UPPER TIER type of team for the Indianapolis Colts. Like everything else in the workforce if he can't get it done then it's time to move on and find someone who can....

At this point,  Ballard can eat the whole darn humble pie!!    :thmup:

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Because Ballard does have some strengths.  He has assembled a good scouting staff and supportive office personnel. Not to mention they do a great job managing the cap.  If Ballard leaves there is a good chance many staffers and scouts leave as well.  A big turnover in front office will take a number of years to absorb.   Keeping continuity in the front office would probably make the transition to Harbaugh easier.  I don't think Ballard would have a problem working with a coach like Harbaugh.  He did everything he could to help Reich.  I don't see why that would change with Harbaugh as the coach.  He does not strike me as a confrontational type of GM.  More of a supportive type of GM.  I think Jim likes Harbaugh and Ballard. I think that would be his preferred combination right now. 

Ben wasn’t saying Harbaugh preferred a GM already in place. He was saying he has a GM he would like hired if he does go somewhere. Ballard and Harbaugh I think would be a bad mix.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Have you seen the new Top Gun movie? It is awesome. I won't give out any spoilers.

My wife and I saw it in the theater early!   It was GREAT!

And our experience was made even better by the fact that a mile from our home is a new state of the art movie theater with all the latest bells and whistles. 

So whenever the planes were talking off your seat would start to vibrate and that would increase the faster the jet would go! That was…..   AWESOME!   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

My wife and I saw it in the theater early!   It was GREAT!

And our experience was made even better by the fact that a mile from our home is a new state of the art movie theater with all the latest bells and whistles. 

So whenever the planes were talking off your seat would start to vibrate and that would increase the faster the jet would go! That was…..   AWESOME!   

Great stuff! I don't go out my way to watch many movies anymore but Tom gets an A+ in that one. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ben wasn’t saying Harbaugh preferred a GM already in place. He was saying he has a GM he would like hired if he does go somewhere. Ballard and Harbaugh I think would be a bad mix.

See I don’t think it would be.  I can see Ballard getting Harbaugh the types of players or players he wants.  I could see Jim convincing Harbaugh that Ballard should be his GM if he even has his doubts.  We shall see I guess.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

At this point,  Ballard can eat the whole darn humble pie!!    :thmup:

You were like me defending him a lot but the way this year is going it is hard too now. He just never adjusted to Andrew retiring. He has been a good GM in a lot of area's but bad in other area's. We are a mess brother.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You were like me defending him a lot but the way this year is going it is hard too now. He just never adjusted to Andrew retiring. He has been a good GM in a lot of area's but bad in other area's. We are a mess brother.

Honestly, as bad as this year is, and I think it’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen,  I don’t think we’re as bad as it might appear.

I’ll be writing about that that this coming week when we have a bye.   I’m guessing I’ll be writing that post Tuesday.  

Spoiler Alert:  it’s all about the OL. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To be fair, he has owned up to his mistakes and openly talked about them in the past. With everything going down with Irsay, it’s hard for me to fully contextualize our off-season moves from last year on who was calling the shots… Was it mostly Irsay who brought Ryan in? We know he was the main driving force for getting rid of Wentz. What else has he been doing behind the scenes in regards to major player contacts? 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, as bad as this year is, and I think it’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen,  I don’t think we’re as bad as it might appear.

I’ll be writing about that that this coming week when we have a bye.   I’m guessing I’ll be writing that post Tuesday.  

Spoiler Alert:  it’s all about the OL. 

Yeah I posted earlier, we aren't as bad as many say. We have lost 4 games by 7 points or less. Injuries have played a big part in this too. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

To be fair, he has owned up to his mistakes and openly talked about them in the past. With everything going down with Irsay, it’s hard for me to fully contextualize our off-season moves from last year on who was calling the shots… Was it mostly Irsay who brought Ryan in? We know he was the main driving force for getting rid of Wentz. What else has he been doing behind the scenes in regards to major player contacts? 

I don't think Ryan has been the main problem. Has Ryan played like the Hall of Famer he is = NO but Taylor has been half the player he was last year and our O.Line has been bad.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Ryan has been the main problem. Has Ryan played like the Hall of Famer he is = NO but Taylor has been half the player he was last year and our O.Line has been bad.

Ryan and Taylor both have suffered from the terrible o-line play.  

Just saying 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why would Harbaugh prefer Ballard. I think this means he has his own GM and Ballard would be gone. Not that he likes one of the GM better.

I found this from last year that speculates that Jeff Ireland (Saints AGM) might be one of the people Harbaugh would want as GM. It's just based on a connection. Ireland is the grandson of a Bears scout Harbaugh was close with when he played there.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/jim-harbaugh-may-already-have-gm-in-mind-if-he-gets-bears-job/

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I found this from last year that speculates that Jeff Ireland (Saints AGM) might be one of the people Harbaugh would want as GM. It's just based on a connection. Ireland is the grandson of a Bears scout Harbaugh was close with when he played there.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/jim-harbaugh-may-already-have-gm-in-mind-if-he-gets-bears-job/

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well I'm sure your aware of my admiration for Bert Jones, my all time favorite. That should have tipped you off I'm not a puppy lol. 

If I ever go to Hawaii, it would be more for the scenery than beaches.  I'm surrounded by beaches here, only like 1.5 miles away and the Bahamas aren't far and the US Virgin islands, St..Vincent etc....and their all beautiful.  But I'd guess Hawaii's beaches are tough to beat. But Hawaii is so far but like everyone else It's a place that's desirable to visit and dream vacation for many, especially for those that don't live on the coast.

Yeah, I'm not thinking about moving..its nice here but the people seem to be getting less nice since I was a kid. A lot of them come from the  East like NY,.Boston etc.... My brothers and I are some of the few Florida natives we know. My.grandfather and father and his brothers  came here in the '50's and said some of the busiest roads use to be swamp land when they arrived. He was born in NY and went to school in Boston. I couldn't imagine being.a.red.sox/Patriot fan lol.

Florida is.similar to what your used too, I'm sure you will like it. Miami can be interesting to you and has a lot more stuff going on than the the palm beaches.  

I would hate to see us partying at 21, we would be tearing it up. It would be like Bert Jones to Marvin Harrison all day on the beach even talking to the ladies :banana:

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would hate to see us partying at 21, we would be tearing it up. It would be like Bert Jones to Marvin Harrison all day on the beach even talking to the ladies :banana:

We did that, my cousin, brother, cousin Deb, friends.and whoever came over to join us. There was No Out of Bounds on east side, cause it.was the ocean. It was.just up to the ball carrier how deep he wanted to go....and girls sometimes joined  too. You reminded me of Playing football on the Beach.which.was Fun.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We did that, my cousin, brother, cousin Deb, friends.and whoever came over to join us. There was No Out of Bounds on east side, cause it.was the ocean. It was.just up to the ball carrier how deep he wanted to go....and girls sometimes joined  too. You reminded me of Playing football on the Beach.which.was Fun.

It would be all day brother. Just be like Bert with his great accuracy as I know you would and I will be like Marvin, grab a beer, say hi to a nice looking lady and make the catch 1 handed while holding a beer in the other hand Snoop Dogg Dancing GIF by Romy

On 12/2/2022 at 1:48 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I have great concern with Irsay's behavior the last 2 years. It is quite obvious that he has injected himself into the decision making. If u step back, they have been the wrong decisions. 

You mean like getting rid of Wentz? Or signing Gilmore? Or firing Reich? I could go on. lol please 

5 hours ago, jonjon said:

You mean like getting rid of Wentz? Or signing Gilmore? Or firing Reich? I could go on. lol please 

What makes you think signing Gilmore was an Irsay idea and not a Ballard idea?

By the way, it’s a move that has worked well for the Colts.   I expect Gilmore back next year.   

Right or wrong, I think some players and coaches on the team think Jim Irsay is a loose cannon, willing to kill friend and foe alike. We've let too many good players and coaches go, and kept the weakest or broken people on the team for too long.

I hope I'm wrong. If not, there isn't anything anyone can do to fix our problems.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:53 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Harbaugh dueled with his GM in SF for most of his tenure with them.  There is zero chance of getting him if he doesn't get to pick the GM.  That hiring conversation won't even take place without the owner understanding that and agreeing to it because Harbaugh has options in this window.

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Harbaugh dueled with his GM in SF for most of his tenure with them.  There is zero chance of getting him if he doesn't get to pick the GM.  That hiring conversation won't even take place without the owner understanding that and agreeing to it because Harbaugh has options in this window.

I think Harbaugh would want a combined role like Belichick has.  Harbaugh has all the cards right now if Irsay wants him.  He's got a good life in Michigan and won't come anywhere where he has little control over his own destiny and where he doesn't think the team will win.  

9 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I think Harbaugh would want a combined role like Belichick has.  Harbaugh has all the cards right now if Irsay wants him.  He's got a good life in Michigan and won't come anywhere where he has little control over his own destiny and where he doesn't think the team will win.  

I definitely believe Harbaugh wants more control than just HC. Maybe not total GM powers, but he’s going to want someone who he can possibly have final say over if push comes to shove. 

Was there ever any additional news on this, or nah? This is literally the only place I’ve seen it so I’m guessing it was nothing. 

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I definitely believe Harbaugh wants more control than just HC. Maybe not total GM powers, but he’s going to want someone who he can possibly have final say over if push comes to shove. 

Was there ever any additional news on this, or nah? This is literally the only place I’ve seen it so I’m guessing it was nothing. 

Nothing but speculation on the internet.  In reality....Irsay had dinner with two former quarterbacks.  Andrew Luck can't even have a layover on a flight anywhere within a three hundred mile radius from Indy because someone somewhere will post that he's on his way to Indy to come back to the Colts.  

4 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

Nothing but speculation on the internet.  In reality....Irsay had dinner with two former quarterbacks.  Andrew Luck can't even have a layover on a flight anywhere within a three hundred mile radius from Indy because someone somewhere will post that he's on his way to Indy to come back to the Colts.  

He and Jimmy from the Colts are still close. haha

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Agree, I think Irsay really wants Harbaugh IMO. It comes down to what is Irsay really willing to give up to get him as the HC? Plus it comes down also on Harbaugh. Is he up to fixing this team? Maybe he is content where he is at.

None of us really know. This team is kinda in a rut with contracts that no other teams will want to take over and new contract signings coming up. I want a new GM but not sure getting rid of Ballard at this time is smart. See Bold

Kravitz: The Colts need a savior, and it ain’t Jeff Saturday. The Colts need Jim Harbaugh

https://theathletic.com/3969913/2022/12/05/colts-jim-harbaugh-jeff-saturday-jim-irsay/

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Whether it happened or not, we’ve finally lived long enough for the local media (And Kravitz, of all people!) to have started the clamor for Harbaugh…

Archived