Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carlie Irsay-Gordon

CheezyColt

I absolutely and unequivocally LOVE Jim Irsay as the owner of my favorite football team. I've always been a supporter and loved his passion for his team. Despite his demons, which resonate extremely strongly with me and the drug infested hometown I came from I'm Southern Indiana, he's shown that there's a road back, even if not everyone has access to those same exact roads. He's at least given an example and that's admirable.

That said, 2 things can be true. It's time for him to give up the operation of this team. I just watched the presser and whoo boy, it's like the heavens opened up on me. It's clear that this team is now just the last straws of a desperate man. I appreciate his passion and wanting to do what's right for the team he loves, more than you know... But he's done. I've always loved his passion for this team, it's what set him apart from other owners, even despite the bad publicity. He's now become meddlesome though. He's basically incoherent when trying to discuss his moves and everything he's saying comes with the caveat of "Chris and I decided" even though it's clear Ballard is uncomfortable as hell (understandably based on his now flimsy job security). I'm not saying Ballard is blameless, before you wolves come to strike. The Saturday hire seems like a desperate jab at hoping he can prove something to himself and others that he knows more about football operations than anyone else. I've loved him as the owner of my favorite team... But it's time to make the move on. Things won't get better until a new dawn rises. Time for Carlie to take the reigns.

Interest in the family business wanes as the generations get farther away from the founder.  Jimmy refers....Paul Brown, Al Davis, etc and is still tied to those legacies.  Carly never met them or was playing with toys when she did.

I think Carly eventually takes the money and runs...sells out.  And the franchise moves to London, lol.

When I heard Jim say he called Saturday to talk football and the conversation picked up fast that scares me .  He even said after he offered the job to Jeff over the phone he went to tell chris Ballard .   

why is the owner handing out head coaching jobs to his buddies and then telling the gm .  That is terrifying to me .  Ballard should be in full control . 

I don’t wanna us to be the next cowboys with jerry jones making draft picks . 

Nonsense. Irsay has never in his life been press conference champ. This is the same guy he had always been. 

There is no win here. When you have to change FO in the middle of the season like Jim did for the first time in his ownership, you aren’t getting a Sean Payton to show up mid season. I think people forget how bad Gus was in Jacksonville. Historically bad.

Jim should be graded on what he does Jan/Feb. 2022 season is effectively a player’s audition.

11 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

When I heard Jim say he called Saturday to talk football and the conversation picked up fast that scares me .  He even said after he offered the job to Jeff over the phone he went to tell chris Ballard .   

why is the owner handing out head coaching jobs to his buddies and then telling the gm .  That is terrifying to me .  Ballard should be in full control . 

Because Ballard built this roster. He paid those Lineman. He believed Pryor could be an effective lineman. Not sure why Ballard is still in Indy, other than Jim is king of last chances.

15 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Because Ballard built this roster. He paid those Lineman. He believed Pryor could be an effective lineman. Not sure why Ballard is still in Indy, other than Jim is king of last chances.

We don't know feedback Ballard got from Strausser and Reich on the topic. And we know both Pinter and Pryor did well last year... And we know Ballard drafted Raimann, and also added DKelly. So obviously, he was not 100% on Pryor... 

I'm more disappointed that Ballard let Glow/Reed go. Reed IIRC wanted to get closer to home, but I'm sure Glow wanted to stay here. 

25 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I've always thought Jim was more involved than most believed.

Jim was the GM 10+ years (only one playoff appearance IIRC)... and was from 84ish until Polian in like 97ish.. 

So an owner who was also a GM 10+ years, stops making ops decisions? Never thought so....

I could be wrong on this, and I really have no interest in listening to the presser again, but I thought Jim said after he spoke to Saturday, that he called Ballard to "talk about it" or "discuss it," not tell him this is what we're doing. Again, not 100% sure.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Interest in the family business wanes as the generations get farther away from the founder.  Jimmy refers....Paul Brown, Al Davis, etc and is still tied to those legacies.  Carly never met them or was playing with toys when she did.

I think Carly eventually takes the money and runs...sells out.  And the franchise moves to London, lol.

The selfish fan in me would love this, seeing as I live in the UK, but that would be terrible news for the franchise in general. Plus, a move to the UK would probably involve an entire rebrand and at that point, is it even really the same team? 

I have a lot of respect for the Baltimore Colts fans who stuck with the team after that move, but at least they were still the Colts. A move to London would almost certainly involve a name and identity change - at least I would imagine... At that point, it would be like starting from fresh.

26 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

The selfish fan in me would love this, seeing as I live in the UK, but that would be terrible news for the franchise in general. Plus, a move to the UK would probably involve an entire rebrand and at that point, is it even really the same team? 

I have a lot of respect for the Baltimore Colts fans who stuck with the team after that move, but at least they were still the Colts. A move to London would almost certainly involve a name and identity change - at least I would imagine... At that point, it would be like starting from fresh.

The London Gee Gees?

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I don’t know maybe Irsay is feed up with Ballard too.

10 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

So I now am mocking you.  You deserve every bit of it too.  Homerism bias has to go.  

So does trolling. It is funny how I was right in 2020 when we got Rivers and said we would be good. Nobody is always right. You just show up when we are doing bad. You seem to relish when we are bad, sad, really sad. Keep it up though because everyone in here knows your angle by now. 

21 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I’m fed up slightly with Ballard but why not just fire him then ?

Who knows? Frank seems to be the sympathetic figure now with many on the shows I watched wondering why Ballard was not fired too. Said the mess at the qb spot, no LT, non explosive wrs, no stud de and having an overpaid o-line that is atrocious ALL fall on Ballard. Said that Irsay sounded a bit crazy with his ramblings at the presser and that right now this team is a disaster!!!! 

Among the funniest remarks in Jim’s typical rambling speech was his promise that he would never place higher expectations on any employee than he places on himself. Not sure what that meant for a guy whose only known major talent is being born the son of an NFL owner. Of course that father was also evil to the core, so some of Jim’s strangeness is certainly daddy-related.

11 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I was listening to a podcast and they did a timeline of the moves we know Irsay pushed and it didn't look good at all, his hands are all over this mess we call a franchise. Forcing the trade of Wentz, Forcing the move to Ehlinger, Firing the OC then firing the HC the following week, now hiring a tv analyst to be the interim HC. 

Irsay once said that he hired a GM because when his dad was in control and had Jim as the GM, he learned he was terrible at the job. Well Mr. Irsay you need to relearn that lesson and start trusting the people you are paying because you are too much of a fan and are clinging to the manning years a little too hard.

12 hours ago, coming on strong said:

anyone but ballard making the picks

29 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I was listening to a podcast and they did a timeline of the moves we know Irsay pushed and it didn't look good at all, his hands are all over this mess we call a franchise. Forcing the trade of Wentz, Forcing the move to Ehlinger, Firing the OC then firing the HC the following week, now hiring a tv analyst to be the interim HC. 

Irsay once said that he hired a GM because when his dad was in control and had Jim as the GM, he learned he was terrible at the job. Well Mr. Irsay you need to relearn that lesson and start trusting the people you are paying because you are too much of a fan and are clinging to the manning years a little too hard.

trusting his gm got the colts to this point of heading south

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We don't know feedback Ballard got from Strausser and Reich on the topic. And we know both Pinter and Pryor did well last year... And we know Ballard drafted Raimann, and also added DKelly. So obviously, he was not 100% on Pryor... 

I'm more disappointed that Ballard let Glow/Reed go. Reed IIRC wanted to get closer to home, but I'm sure Glow wanted to stay here. 

I've always thought Jim was more involved than most believed.

Jim was the GM 10+ years (only one playoff appearance IIRC)... and was from 84ish until Polian in like 97ish.. 

So an owner who was also a GM 10+ years, stops making ops decisions? Never thought so....

it is jims money that ballard is wasting

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

What do you base your idiocy on?

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Scary 

Here is my thought. Jim Irsay loves the Colts because he loves football, the history and all it has done for him and when he steps down it’ll be a sad day. *IMO*, others love the Colts because it gives them a platform to be involved in social issues. 

again, just my opinion based off observation. I’m probably wrong. 

3 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

it is jims money that ballard is wasting

Honestly it is Jim wasting Jim's money and often his comments are a detriment to negotiations and to the team. He was the one that told the media he wants to make Luck the highest paid QB. Every time Ballard tries to negotiate Irsay says just get it done and wants to overpay players he likes just like TY's last year. Heck even with Peyton's last contract Irsay wanted to make it fully guarantee but it was actually Peyton that wanted them to put a clause in to protect the team if he gets injured. 

Archived