Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hopefully Sam keeps improving not impressed with draft qbs

Stephen

The colts number 1 need is to fix the oline. If they want to drafta qb to compete against Sam to start Im fine with that but none of them should be handed the job. Hooker in particular needs some work as he is staring down wrs in his highlights. Levis would be a turnover machine behind our current oline. We arent going to lose enough games to get stroud

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The colts number 1 need is to fix the oline. If they want to drafta qb to compete against Sam to start Im fine with that but none of them should be handed the job. Hooker in particular needs some work as he is staring down wrs in his highlights. Levis would be a turnover machine behind our current oline. We arent going to lose enough games to get stroud

i hope you are right but all college qbs have warts. Also to say that you have more faith in a 6th rounder long term over say a top 5 pick is getting a little head of yourself. I hope Same balls out for this reason. If he is the answer then we dont have to use a high pick on a qb next year and say draft a LT. The question also must be asked. Do you draft a top 5 pick qb and put him behind this Oline? He will get killed and his development will be limited

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Maybe Frank will convince Chris and Jim that he can fix Derek Carr.:lol:

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i hope you are right but all college qbs have warts. Also to say that you have more faith in a 6th rounder long term over say a top 5 pick is getting a little head of yourself. I hope Same balls out for this reason. If he is the answer then we dont have to use a high pick on a qb next year and say draft a LT. The question also must be asked. Do you draft a top 5 pick qb and put him behind this Oline? He will get killed and his development will be limited

Put a top 5 pick behind this line and they will retire early. Havent seen the same level of pocket presence with the draft guys. Thats why I would have them compete to start.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Maybe Frank will convince Chris and Jim that he can fix Derek Carr.:lol:

No more vet qbs unless we signing lamar jackson

If Sam can show that he is the best all-around QB the Colts have had since Luck, then I'm fine with building around him.  He doesn't have to be elite, just better all around than the last 4 QBs.

The college prospects all have talent, but here are my concerns:

Stroud: I don't think we have enough ammo to outbid anybody who wants him.

Young:  Very Small.  I wouldn't use a high pick on that small of a QB.

Levis:  Lots of arm.  Lots of attitude.  Reminds me of Wentz.  Excitable, aggressive, can make bad decisions.

Hooker:  Good all around game...but the guy is 25 years old.  Is his success in college simply because he is a man among boys?  Will he be exposed in the NFL?

If Sam shows to be only backup quality, then maybe take a risk with one of the three above.  If Sam is starter quality (and I think he will show us that he is), then there are a couple of prospects that I might drop a third rounder or later on as competition.

Jaren Hall, BYU

Max Duggan, TCU

?  McGee, Stanford.

We can use our 1st for an OT then.

Every player coming out of college will have question marks. Stroud plays in a very dumbed down system so can he learn to play at the NFL level? Young has injury question marks already surrounding him like Tua coming into the league. Hooker may be the best of the bunch, but nobody is ever a sure thing.

Maybe Sam lights it up the rest of the way and surprises us. If not Colts may be in QB purgatory for a while unless they want to give up a ton of draft capital to get one of those guys. That’s also if those guys pan out.

4 minutes ago, FanOutOfTown said:

Every player coming out of college will have question marks. Stroud plays in a very dumbed down system so can he learn to play at the NFL level? Young has injury question marks already surrounding him like Tua coming into the league. Hooker may be the best of the bunch, but nobody is ever a sure thing.

Maybe Sam lights it up the rest of the way and surprises us. If not Colts may be in QB purgatory for a while unless they want to give up a ton of draft capital to get one of those guys. That’s also if those guys pan out.

Every drafted QB needs to be put in a system where the HC and the GM provide the maximum support to bring out his strengths and minimize his weakness. Vince Young with Jeff Fisher, and RG3 with Mike Shanahan were classic examples of how a QB can be destroyed by trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and then Lamar Jackson with John Harbaugh is an example of how well you tailor your offense and provide the right support. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Put a top 5 pick behind this line and they will retire early. Havent seen the same level of pocket presence with the draft guys. Thats why I would have them compete to start.

No more vet qbs unless we signing lamar jackson

You lost me at 'Lamar Jackson'.

I agree with the OP, and I really don't care that Sam was a 6th round pick.

He played above his draft spot, and if he progresses from there (I fully expect him to digress against the Pats), he'll be plenty good enough to go after the OL, which would help all aspects of the offense.

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Every drafted QB needs to be put in a system where the HC and the GM provide the maximum support to bring out his strengths and minimize his weakness. Vince Young with Jeff Fisher, and RG3 with Mike Shanahan were classic examples of how a QB can be destroyed by trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and then Lamar Jackson with John Harbaugh is an example of how well you tailor your offense and provide the right support. 

Very true. Heck we saw it in our own division with Tannehill. He was considered major bust in Miami. 

It is probably best to keep the keys to the BUS in the garage this coming week, and hold off on judging Sam to severely next week versus the Patriots.

Belichick has absolutely confused and dominated rookie quarterbacks for years. Since 2003 First and 2nd year opposing quarterbacks have a 3-42 record in Foxboro. 

Against the Redskins in his first start I was impressed most with the fact he went through his progressions ( When he had time ) without pocket panic, and showed he could throw the ball down field with accuracy. A very good first game.

New week, It may be a rough one. but, If Sam can play decently against the Pats, a lot of questions may start to be answered regarding the direction of the team.

Good points. People are clamoring for the Colts to draft a QB--ANY QB--as if it's a foregone conclusion that Sam can't be the guy. And this is all based on the fact that he was a 6th rounder and a back-up. But I suspect the low rate of success among late-round NFL quarterbacks is skewed by the fact that most are never given the chance to start in the first place. So it' a self-fulfilling prophecy. The narrative around late-rounders is always tied to the scouting reports, which is a reflection of where the player was at that point in time. But players can develop, and I think that applies to Sam. I'm having a hard time imagining how any other quarterback would've done behind this o-line yesterday. Certainly, there would've been more sacks. I don't think quarterback is the weakest link. I'd focus on fixing the offensive line.

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

100 % agree

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

Unfortunately, Reich has not shown the ability to scheme for a players talents.  In 2f years, he has forgotten to have his current starting QB practice a snap from under center.

19 hours ago, DougDew said:

If Sam can show that he is the best all-around QB the Colts have had since Luck, then I'm fine with building around him.  He doesn't have to be elite, just better all around than the last 4 QBs.

The college prospects all have talent, but here are my concerns:

Stroud: I don't think we have enough ammo to outbid anybody who wants him.

Young:  Very Small.  I wouldn't use a high pick on that small of a QB.

Levis:  Lots of arm.  Lots of attitude.  Reminds me of Wentz.  Excitable, aggressive, can make bad decisions.

Hooker:  Good all around game...but the guy is 25 years old.  Is his success in college simply because he is a man among boys?  Will he be exposed in the NFL?

If Sam shows to be only backup quality, then maybe take a risk with one of the three above.  If Sam is starter quality (and I think he will show us that he is), then there are a couple of prospects that I might drop a third rounder or later on as competition.

Jaren Hall, BYU

Max Duggan, TCU

?  McGee, Stanford.

We can use our 1st for an OT then.

Hooker being older is just fine with me.

He seems like a good kid that can come in and start day one

Great arm, Great mobility   21 TDs vs ONE Int  Completes 71% of his passes IN THE SEC

This guy may go much earlier than expected

DJ from Clemson had one bad day, but the kid is amazing this year

17 TDs vs 4 Ints

This kid would be a viable option

Jaren Hall has really slid for me this year

Tanner McKee  is highly rated, but does not have a team around him 

You mentioned Max Duggan

I am very impressed with the kid  22Tds vs 2 Ints

4.5 - 4.6 40 time.... Not sure he is a round 1 QB (at least for now)

The kid is tough.....  

Some people dont like this draft for QBs......  IMHO There are 5-6 that would dramatically improve the QB spot for the Colts

My first hope would be that Hooker would be there at 10-12 where we will be drafting

16 hours ago, masterlock said:

Good points. People are clamoring for the Colts to draft a QB--ANY QB--as if it's a foregone conclusion that Sam can't be the guy. And this is all based on the fact that he was a 6th rounder and a back-up. But I suspect the low rate of success among late-round NFL quarterbacks is skewed by the fact that most are never given the chance to start in the first place. So it' a self-fulfilling prophecy. The narrative around late-rounders is always tied to the scouting reports, which is a reflection of where the player was at that point in time. But players can develop, and I think that applies to Sam. I'm having a hard time imagining how any other quarterback would've done behind this o-line yesterday. Certainly, there would've been more sacks. I don't think quarterback is the weakest link. I'd focus on fixing the offensive line.

I hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but I respectfully do so

With very few exceptions you need a top 10-15 QB to win the SB

We can win it all with an average LT and a stud QB

Our odds are MUCH less with a stud LT and an average QB

Thats why I would keep drafting QBs, until we find the right one

IMHO

18 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

It is probably best to keep the keys to the BUS in the garage this coming week, and hold off on judging Sam to severely next week versus the Patriots.

Belichick has absolutely confused and dominated rookie quarterbacks for years. Since 2003 First and 2nd year opposing quarterbacks have a 3-42 record in Foxboro. 

Against the Redskins in his first start I was impressed most with the fact he went through his progressions ( When he had time ) without pocket panic, and showed he could throw the ball down field with accuracy. A very good first game.

New week, It may be a rough one. but, If Sam can play decently against the Pats, a lot of questions may start to be answered regarding the direction of the team.

Agreed. I’m not expecting a good outing next week. I’m more curious how he responds the following week

15 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Just has Andrews and is leading a team to wins. He’s better than the last 4 QBs we had by far

He’s good but no more vet qbs please. 

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

I’ve had the same concerns about this years QBs. Levi’s would probably be the worst behind this line because he panics when pressured. Young would be on the IR by week 6. Stroud will probably be out of reach, Hooker seems like the most realistic but Tennessee doesn’t run anything like a pro offense so would need a year to learn  

34 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Hooker being older is just fine with me.

He seems like a good kid that can come in and start day one

Great arm, Great mobility   21 TDs vs ONE Int  Completes 71% of his passes IN THE SEC

This guy may go much earlier than expected

DJ from Clemson had one bad day, but the kid is amazing this year

17 TDs vs 4 Ints

This kid would be a viable option

Jaren Hall has really slid for me this year

Tanner McKee  is highly rated, but does not have a team around him 

You mentioned Max Duggan

I am very impressed with the kid  22Tds vs 2 Ints

4.5 - 4.6 40 time.... Not sure he is a round 1 QB (at least for now)

The kid is tough.....  

Some people dont like this draft for QBs......  IMHO There are 5-6 that would dramatically improve the QB spot for the Colts

My first hope would be that Hooker would be there at 10-12 where we will be drafting

No idea why the 25 years old thing matters so much. If QBs are protected like they are with the current rules and also learn to protect themselves, most QBs can play till 35-40. So, if you strike it rich with a QB that is 25 years old and put the right roster around him, you can get at least a decade of high production out of him and maybe win a SB or two. That is all you can ask for nowadays, be that perennial contender.

23 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I’ve had the same concerns about this years QBs. Levi’s would probably be the worst behind this line because he panics when pressured. Young would be on the IR by week 6. Stroud will probably be out of reach, Hooker seems like the most realistic but Tennessee doesn’t run anything like a pro offense so would need a year to learn  

Hooker would need to sit for a year or two

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

My bad, I should have said taken snaps under center to either hand off or to sneak it in from the 2 inch mark.

In the limited time they had to practice with a new starting QB, what plays would you suggest they NOT practice in order to make time for the QB sneak practice?

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

In the limited time they had to practice with a new starting QB, what plays would you suggest they NOT practice in order to make time for the QB sneak practice?

I would suggest that in 1.5 years each QB on the roster should have spent some of the practice time doing common things that QB's do.  

Archived