Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank being Frank

bleed blue4life

Frank Reich is probably the 2nd worst coach in the league at this point. The only reason he's not the worst is because Nathaniel Hackett is making a joke out of himself and the Denver Broncos. Put yourself in my situation. A colts fan living in Colorado and people wonder why I care more about fantasy than real life lol. Frank Reich will do that to you. Absolute downer coach who offers no hope.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

ok, AND?!  Just because it works against one team it’s going to work against another?  And if it does work and then stop working, we’re just gonna keep doing it?  Frank Reich, is that you?  Lol

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.  Hopefully you are

The game plan against TEN has been the same game plan.  And we have always been in tight games, because it works.  It also worked this time but didn't result in a win when your playmakers like QB and number 1 receiver turn the ball over at critical times. 

Prove that running JT more would have resulted in more scoring.

Sarcastic?  That was your assertion, that we should have been using the TEs more because TEN was blitzing a lot.  I assume you weren't being sarcastic and was saying that the times TEN was blitzing LBers was the time the play call should have had the TE as the first read.   How does the play caller from the sideline know when the defense is going to blitz?

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

.   How does the play caller from the sideline know when the defense is going to blitz?

Especially when the play caller is Reich, who is not able to keep up with what is happening in the game.   

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I've not seen Colts games to tell... How many big play throws have they tried this season? Like the TD Ryan threw to Alec Pierce to win the Jags game. Why don't they mix up throws down the sideline to outside receivers more? It seems like the offense doesn't utilize the entirety of the field as a threat to the defenses in the passing game. 

Hey, I was asking that question a while ago after seeing all the tight throws on a rope Matt was making in TC down the sideline to Pierce. We thought we can compensate for OL issues with quick hitters but even when there is time, I am not seeing the best play calling or QB decision making consistently. So it is a combination of several issues.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Hey, I was asking that question a while ago after seeing all the tight throws on a rope Matt was making in TC down the sideline to Pierce. We thought we can compensate for OL issues with quick hitters but even when there is time, I am not seeing the best play calling or QB decision making consistently. So it is a combination of several issues.

That dump off to the defender yesterday was…

well it was something. 

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Or involving our TE did we even attempt a pass to them ok I know there was couple to Granson. Also whatsup with JT. 5 attempts for rushing each half. I bet he is * off I wonder how many players have similar feelings for our HC as Hines have been vocal lately.

The seat, that Frank is sitting in, is pretty hot right now.   I don't know anyone who still supports him.  Many people have defended him in the past (myself included) but I don't feel or see it anymore.  His stubborn refusal to change has reached the limit.

JT get hurt? He got pulled for several plays and a few series. They put Hines and Jackson in which made me think he was injured but I guess he could have been on a pitch count. 

Matt Ryan is a turn over machine… a lot of fundamentals are being ignored in practice it would seem. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The game plan against TEN has been the same game plan.  And we have always been in tight games, because it works.  It also worked this time but didn't result in a win when your playmakers like QB and number 1 receiver turn the ball over at critical times. 

Sarcastic?  That was your assertion, that we should have been using the TEs more because TEN was blitzing a lot.  I assume you weren't being sarcastic and was saying that the times TEN was blitzing LBers was the time the play call should have had the TE as the first read.   How does the play caller from the sideline know when the defense is going to blitz?

Uh, it is up to the QB to see the blitz and the OC should have ample use of TE's built into the offense for those hot reads. FB 101.

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He did limp off the field after getting up from a pile in the first half.  They didnt seem to mention this on the broadcast or post game for some reason 

JT looked a bit unsteady after taking a helmet to helmet hit.

Just now, T-Cubed said:

JT looked a bit unsteady after taking a helmet to helmet hit.

Thanks for clarifying that, i didnt get a great look at it myself but i did see him walking off looking shaky

They didnt say much if anything on tv but people on reddit and twitter pointed it out too 

46 minutes ago, Myles said:

The seat, that Frank is sitting in, is pretty hot right now.   I don't know anyone who still supports him.  Many people have defended him in the past (myself included) but I don't feel or see it anymore.  His stubborn refusal to change has reached the limit.

His seat is getting hot by the fans only. I doubt that Irsay sees what y'all see.

I think Irsay believes that Reich and Ballard are the right guys.  That Irsay feels, and has felt, like they are only a QB away but that they have not gotten it right the past couple of years.   He thinks that once they find the QB, all is great.

And Irsay is right there with the QB decisions being made...ready to send the plane for Jameis Winston before Ryan came available last spring.  He thinks that all three of them have not gotten the QB right yet, but once they do, it will be division winning and SB contention.

41 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Uh, it is up to the QB to see the blitz and the OC should have ample use of TE's built into the offense for those hot reads. FB 101.

The offense uses TEs.  No TE was allowed to go into a hot read short 5 yard pass pattern to fill the spot vacated by the blitzing LBer when Ryan sees a blitz?  QBing 101.

If not, Ryan kept Mo in for blocking for obvious reasons.  JT got a lot of catches, instead of the TEs apparently. 

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The offense uses TEs.  No TE was allowed to go into a hot read short 5 yard pass pattern to fill the spot vacated by the blitzing LBer when Ryan sees a blitz?  QBing 101.

If not, Ryan kept Mo in for blocking for obvious reasons.  JT got a lot of catches, instead of the TEs apparently. 

He definitely wasn't releasing his TE's after chipping for hot reads.

And JT was weak as a blocking back. That reminds me how good Edge was picking up bltzes. A Stud!

2 hours ago, Myles said:

The common denominator is Frank.  Every failure the past few years has Frank included in it.  

Brissett hasn’t looked as bad out from under frank as he did while he was starting here… Even wentz, as uninspiring as he’s been, has looked like getting out from under frank has been good for him. 

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He definitely wasn't releasing his TE's after chipping for hot reads.

And JT was weak as a blocking back. That reminds me how good Edge was picking up bltzes. A Stud!

Yeah, others have pointed out how JT is poor in pass blocking.

So if the opponent blitzes, would you rather have Mo get the ball in space and keep JT in to block, or get the ball to JT in space and keep Mo into block?   Kinda obvious looking at it that way.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

He did limp off the field after getting up from a pile in the first half.  They didnt seem to mention this on the broadcast or post game for some reason 

I was waiting for them to mention that JT was out and nothing came. 

42 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Brissett hasn’t looked as bad out from under frank as he did while he was starting here… Even wentz, as uninspiring as he’s been, has looked like getting out from under frank has been good for him. 

You weren't supposed to notice ...

11 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

To further your point about Frank's repeated passing gameplan against the Titans is that it doesn't STRETCH the field!!! They have a physical secondary and a stout front seven. It's easy for them to press and JUMP routes because they don't RESPECT that SHORT passing game that Frank brings against them OVER and OVER no matter WHO the qb is!!!!

PLEASE get rid of Hines up the middle!!!!! Cut it out! Those are WASTED downs that THIS team can't afford. Every defense shuts that play down! Get him in space like a Sproles type!!!! Play to his strengths. If you want to spell JT up the middle use Jackson. This team needs more EXPLOSIVE plays on offense. EVERYTHING is too hard. Drives have to be tight and METHODICAL with no room for error. A play that nets little or no yards for THIS team is usually a death blow leading to three and outs. The offense in general is too slow out the gates and still hasn't SCORED on a opening drive this season. Yikes!!!!!

Yup. TN has pretty some decent DBs. And a good DL. And TN is vulnerable intermediate and long. 

And we go super short every time. 

IIRC, almost all completions were under 15 yards. 

Ds congest things for the passing game and running game. They just defend West to East....

Our OL isn't helping this year, but he still did the same when our OL was great in the past.

Everyone trying to pin the blame, aside from the poor roster building, poor coaching, poor play calling, poor O-line play, poor QB-ing and poor punting....I think I have finally honed in on what the problem is,.... The Colts........lets just hope everyone can get their Ish together on the west side so we can watch some professional football, and be proud of our team again. Right now, I am struggling to believe anything they say, and doing the cocker spaniel head tilt to everything they do......

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Because his team lost another very winnable game.

Frank Reich has done a lot of stupid things in games that deserve a lot of criticism. But Sunday against the Titans, Frank made a lot of really good decisions. He wasn't overly aggressive, trying to go for it on 4th down every time. He trusted his defense, like he should in a tight game, when they are playing well... He was even correct to call the timeouts when he did. He read the game the right way. It is not his fault that Ryan threw picks, Haack couldn't punt longer than 25 yards or so, and Pittman fumbled. He will take the blame, I am sure. That's what a coach should do. Call Reich an * on many Sundays, and he would deserve it.... Last Sunday was not one of those days.

12 hours ago, John Waylon said:

That dump off to the defender yesterday was…

well it was something. 

Matt misread the play for sure... But that interception happens to a lot of QB's. He wanted to hit the crossing route but a linebacker jumped in the throwing lane, and when Ryan pulled it down and decided to come back over the middle, the linebacker read him and jumped into the throwing lane... It happens... Even to the best of them... That happens. Great play by the linebacker there. 

Pile it on Ryan... He deserves a lot of criticism for his poor play. There is no QB who doesn't make a mistake from time to time. 

The Pick 6, Ryan never had control of the ball and was late getting it out. You cannot be late to the sideline... Those are easy pick 6's...

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Frank Reich has done a lot of stupid things in games that deserve a lot of criticism. But Sunday against the Titans, Frank made a lot of really good decisions. He wasn't overly aggressive, trying to for it on 4th down every time. He trusted his defense, like he should in a tight game, when they are playing well... He was even correct to call the timeouts when he did. He read the game the right way. It is not his fault that Ryan threw picks, Haack couldn't punt longer than 25 yards or so, and Pittman fumbled. He will take the blame, I am sure. That's what a coach should do. Call Reich an * on many Sundays, and he would deserve it.... Last Sunday was not one of those days.

Don’t disagree, sir.  Just stating the cold truth of it.  The coach and QB nearly always take lion’s share of the blame.  Sorry, stating what you know so well.

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

His seat is getting hot by the fans only. I doubt that Irsay sees what y'all see.

I think Irsay believes that Reich and Ballard are the right guys.  That Irsay feels, and has felt, like they are only a QB away but that they have not gotten it right the past couple of years.   He thinks that once they find the QB, all is great.

And Irsay is right there with the QB decisions being made...ready to send the plane for Jameis Winston before Ryan came available last spring.  He thinks that all three of them have not gotten the QB right yet, but once they do, it will be division winning and SB contention.

Earth to Jim, you are fielding a dumpster fire team and we the fan's are tired of the same old false promises.  ALL IN ??? or just selling tickets?  Ballard and Reich are just spending your money and making a fool out of you and this team, and your reputation.  You are the owner, MAN UP.

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Vegas had Reich on the hot seat odds before the year started... 

Not just fans... 

1070 wrote another article saying "outcoached again" or something like it. So media too. 

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

- regarding the game plan, what I’m saying is that if it works it works, if it doesn’t then you adjust.  Vrabel isn’t stupid, he’s going to make a game plan to stop what was working.

- I can’t prove it.  But what I do know is that you have to be balanced.  43 passes vs 10 rushes from our best player on offense is not balanced.  It’s a reason why the titans were jumping routes and teeing off on us.

- and yes, tight ends can be used for that.  If the titans are sending multiple players to blitz then that means someone is open underneath.  You get defenses to back off blitzing by hitting quick strikes.  And NO, dump offs to JT is not a quick strike lol

9 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Earth to Jim, you are fielding a dumpster fire team and we the fan's are tired of the same old false promises.  ALL IN ??? or just selling tickets?  Ballard and Reich are just spending your money and making a fool out of you and this team, and your reputation.  You are the owner, MAN UP.

Yeah.  I think Jimmy thinks that he is just a QB away, and has thought that for about 3 years.  We all know better.

But, since Ballard let the talent on the oline wane relative to what Frank and Strausser has been coaching for years now, Jimmy might have a different view of things.

The Sam to starter move that Irsay at last endorsed if not pushed is still him looking for a QB...either its Sam or a bad record and a draft pick.  I don't know if he's interested in finding a HC or a GM too along with a new QB.   Even if Sam develops into a competent backup, that's a feather in the caps of Reich and Ballard.

51 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

- regarding the game plan, what I’m saying is that if it works it works, if it doesn’t then you adjust.  Vrabel isn’t stupid, he’s going to make a game plan to stop what was working.

- I can’t prove it.  But what I do know is that you have to be balanced.  43 passes vs 10 rushes from our best player on offense is not balanced.  It’s a reason why the titans were jumping routes and teeing off on us.

- and yes, tight ends can be used for that.  If the titans are sending multiple players to blitz then that means someone is open underneath.  You get defenses to back off blitzing by hitting quick strikes.  And NO, dump offs to JT is not a quick strike lol

You can go to what ever stats you want, the one I go to is the scoreboard.  We have never gotten blown out by TEN.  The game plan, whatever it is, has kept it close enough to win in the 4th quarter....which is the entire Ballard/Reich philosophy, IMO.  I believe the last two games have been decided in the 4th Q. 

Complain all you want about balance, but the goal is to keep it competitive rather than take risks by trying to go up 14-0 when the opposite result could be wasted downs and 3 and out against a tough opponent. 

No proof that having balanced play calls against TEN would have made a difference.

Nah, I'd rather have JT break the LOS and catch a quick pass in the middle rather than MO, provided MO could actually block the blitzer better than the RB...maybe that's the problem, lol.  But that quick blitz read would be the QBs call, not the sidelines call.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Vegas had Reich on the hot seat odds before the year started... 

Not just fans... 

1070 wrote another article saying "outcoached again" or something like it. So media too. 

I don't know that Irsay feels the same way, was my point.  I think he has thought that he is just a QB away from Division title and a few pieces a way from SB.  Not sure that he sees the need to blow up the coaching staff when he himself doesn't like the QBs and the team achieves a near 500 record.  

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You can go to what ever stats you want, the one I go to is the scoreboard.  We have never gotten blown out by TEN.  The game plan, whatever it is, has kept it close enough to win in the 4th quarter....which is the entire Ballard/Reich philosophy, IMO.  I believe the last two games have been decided in the 4th Q. 

no, the DEFENSE is what kept us from getting blown out lol.   The OFFENSE is the main reason why that scoreboard hasn’t showed us winning. Yeah, I’m convinced you’re Frank Reich.

17 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

no, the DEFENSE is what kept us from getting blown out lol.   The OFFENSE is the main reason why that scoreboard hasn’t showed us winning. Yeah, I’m convinced you’re Frank Reich.

I think the defense held TEN to like 38 points last year...lol.  And the unbalanced offense scored 35 and took it to OT.

And we just beat the Jags by being unbalanced.  You'd think our star RB would do better than Jackson with his 7 catches and break one or two for a big play?  

Balance sounds like its becoming a religion or something,....show me the proof.  I think you've been swayed by too many repetitive forum sermons, LOL.

Archived