Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenny Moore absent from OTAs, wants new contract


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

(copy from other thread)

 

Moore started believing his hype way too much if that's true. He was one of the main reasons (defensively) for those two disastrous games at the end of the season and now he has the gall to demand more money after he just signed his contract last year? Are you serious? If he wants more, how much should Hunter Renfrow who made him look like an amateur get? How much should the Jags' scrubs that put 170 yards against him in coverage get? Get your * to practice and show what you deserve, because that last season wasn't it... 

 

Kenny had a down year for sure , and I don’t want to hear about him making the probowl please , 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is his prerogative but I feel KM has lost a step and has taken a step backwards, not the best case you can make on the heels of last year. 

 

His PFF rating was close to 75 in 2019 and 2020 while it was 66 in 2021. 

 

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/kenny-moore/51596?season=2021

 

He gave up the most reception in the league last year lol 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

(copy from other thread)

 

Moore started believing his hype way too much if that's true. He was one of the main reasons (defensively) for those two disastrous games at the end of the season and now he has the gall to demand more money after he just signed his contract last year? Are you serious? If he wants more, how much should Hunter Renfrow who made him look like an amateur get? How much should the Jags' scrubs that put 170 yards against him in coverage get? Get your * to practice and show what you deserve, because that last season wasn't it... 

 

 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is his prerogative but I feel KM has lost a step and has taken a step backwards, not the best case you can make on the heels of last year. 

 

His PFF rating was close to 75 in 2019 and 2020 while it was 66 in 2021. 

 

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/kenny-moore/51596?season=2021

 

 

This is the business. He's a good player, just made his first Pro Bowl (which earned him an extra $300k over the next two years), likely at the peak of his powers. There's no more guaranteed money on his contract. He'll be 27 at the start of the season, 29 when his contract expires. This represents a good chance for him to lock up more money and maximize his earning potential. As a UDFA, he was able to sign his new deal a year early, so now only five years into his career he has a rare chance for a third contract while his 30s are still a little ways away. He's the 24th highest paid corner in the NFL, making about 40% of what the highest paid corners make, and he's the 2nd highest paid on the roster now that Gilmore is here. He also might be uncertain about his future in the new defense, and wants to lock up more money/guarantees before that uncertainty costs him some standing.

 

I agree that he wasn't great last season, especially at the end of the year. But his reasoning is obvious, and I think the team knows better than to say 'Kenny, get back to work, we're not going to extend you or give you more money, plus you kind of let us down last season.' 

 

Also, his 'holdout' is kind of as peaceful and reasonable as it could be. It's like 'hey, I would like to be taken seriously, but I don't want to rock the boat too much.' Hopefully it gets resolved without too much trouble, but it's possible they just move some money around. They could give him some more guaranteed money in 2022 and bring his cap hit down, without extending him. I kind of thought they should restructure him anyway, he seemed like an obvious candidate to create some cap space.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

 

This is the business. He's a good player, just made his first Pro Bowl (which earned him an extra $300k over the next two years), likely at the peak of his powers. There's no more guaranteed money on his contract. He'll be 27 at the start of the season, 29 when his contract expires. This represents a good chance for him to lock up more money and maximize his earning potential. As a UDFA, he was able to sign his new deal a year early, so now only five years into his career he has a rare chance for a third contract while his 30s are still a little ways away. He's the 24th highest paid corner in the NFL, making about 40% of what the highest paid corners make, and he's the 2nd highest paid on the roster now that Gilmore is here. He also might be uncertain about his future in the new defense, and wants to lock up more money/guarantees before that uncertainty costs him some standing.

24th highest paid corner... There are at least 30 corners I would rather have than him. Sounds reasonable pay. Especially when we gave him that contract at a time he had proven very little in the league.  

 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I agree that he wasn't great last season, especially at the end of the year. But his reasoning is obvious, and I think the team knows better than to say 'Kenny, get back to work, we're not going to extend you or give you more money, plus you kind of let us down last season.' 

Maybe they actually should tell him that? Honestly... 

 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, his 'holdout' is kind of as peaceful and reasonable as it could be. It's like 'hey, I would like to be taken seriously, but I don't want to rock the boat too much.' Hopefully it gets resolved without too much trouble, but it's possible they just move some money around. They could give him some more guaranteed money in 2022 and bring his cap hit down, without extending him. I kind of thought they should restructure him anyway, he seemed like an obvious candidate to create some cap space.

He's still rocking the boat. But that's not the main reason I'm miffed. It's because he didn't play well last year... and he still wants more money. If he'd played like a top 20 corner, I'd be good with us giving him extension and more money. But what do we win by that? Lets say he has another year where he gets beat all the time and crumbles in the most important games. But now he's on the books for 12-15m a year over the next X years? What then? 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Colts fans aren't used to this kind of stuff. It's not often we have players outperforming their contracts. It's hard to remember any contract standoffs over the last decade that aren't related to rookie contract guarantees or offset language. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

So the 15th best corner for the duration of his previous contract. Now do the same for last year. Because he's certainly not anywhere close to top 15 last year. Maybe top 50.... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who was worse during the final two game debacle, Wentz or Kenny?  Honestly.

 

Imagine if Wentz were back and were holding out for more money.  lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stitches said:

24th highest paid corner... There are at least 30 corners I would rather have than him. Sounds reasonable pay. Especially when we gave him that contract at a time he had proven very little in the league.  

 

Maybe they actually should tell him that? Honestly... 

 

He's still rocking the boat. But that's not the main reason I'm miffed. It's because he didn't play well last year... and he still wants more money. If he'd played like a top 20 corner, I'd be good with us giving him extension and more money. But what do we win by that? Lets say he has another year where he gets beat all the time and crumbles in the most important games. But now he's on the books for 12-15m a year over the next X years? What then? 

 

Again, this is the business, and it's one part that the Colts haven't been affected by in many years. 

 

I think the bolded is pretty ridiculous. The Colts didn't "give" him a contract, he earned his contract, and was paid accordingly. And if the Colts don't value him enough to consider meeting whatever his new salary demands are -- and we don't know what they are, or whether they're reasonable, or how far off the two sides are; we really don't know much about the nature of the disagreement at this point -- then they have some decisions to make. But the NFL is a league where plays have very little leverage, and are encouraged to exercise that leverage when they have it. Get used to it. But acting like the Colts have done him a favor by paying him is too far on the pro-team end of the spectrum for me.

 

I agree, he didn't have a great season last year. It's still his best opportunity to maximize his earning potential. And that's the entire reason he's taking this route. It's understandable. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Superman said:

 

Again, this is the business, and it's one part that the Colts haven't been affected by in many years. 

 

I think the bolded is pretty ridiculous. The Colts didn't "give" him a contract, he earned his contract, and was paid accordingly. And if the Colts don't value him enough to consider meeting whatever his new salary demands are -- and we don't know what they are, or whether they're reasonable, or how far off the two sides are; we really don't know much about the nature of the disagreement at this point -- then they have some decisions to make. But the NFL is a league where plays have very little leverage, and are encouraged to exercise that leverage when they have it. Get used to it. But acting like the Colts have done him a favor by paying him is too far on the pro-team end of the spectrum for me.

Yes, he earned that contract and the Colts gave it go him. I have no problem with his current contract. And he is still UNDER THAT CONTRACT!! For TWO MORE YEARS! So how about he gets on the field and practice with his teammates as if he's actually being paid by the Colts and as if it's actually HIS SIGNATURE under that contract. 

 

Just now, Superman said:

 

I agree, he didn't have a great season last year. It's still his best opportunity to maximize his earning potential. And that's the entire reason he's taking this route. It's understandable. 

His best opportunity to maximize his earning potential is to get his * on the practice field and have a good season. If he had played well, I bet Ballard wouldn't mind giving him an extension and a good contract he would be happy with. But what he wants is something entirely different - he wants to play like % and still get paid. Well, no.... I'd be good with the Colts just telling him - no, prove it. Unless that whole accountability thing was just for show and Wentz was indeed the only scapegoat who deserved any beef for what this team did last year. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is under contract that both he and the colts agreed on.  

 

Why should it matter if he has outperformed his contract?  If he underperformed, would he be asking for less money than his contract stipulates?  lol

 

If he wanted to bet on himself with a prove it contract, then he should have just signed a 1 year contract.  He didn't.

 

Time for him to shut up and play for his next contract.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite honestly this is what I’ve been expecting from Nelson.   The fact that he’s been in camp working out I view as a good sign that the two sides are working on a new deal for Q. 
 

As for Moore….   At the moment this is a soft holdout.   But cornerback salaries have exploded these last two years, even for zone corners.    So this is not that big a surprise.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So disappointing.  Maybe the last Colt I’d have expected this from.

 

One thing I hate about pro sports is that contracts just don’t seem to be honored the way they are in other walks of life.  Too many players seem to honor contracts only so long as they still like them…:as soon as they no longer like them, they act as if they never signed it.

 

Imagine if one of the teams tried to do something like this whenever they get buyer’s remorse on a contract.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, shasta519 said:

He was a PBer, but he also played really bad the end of last season.

 

Interested to see where this goes.

It wasn't just the end of the season. I didn't like his play throughout the whole season, there was a very clear step down from his previous years... the last two games were hust the exclamation point of the whole thing. The PB was nonsense. He didn't deserve that spot(for this year... maybe he deserved it for previous ones), 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 So what if he "outperformed" his contract. If he "underperformed" he wouldn't demand a paycut so let's not act like he's a fricken Saint here.

 

He willingly signed it and was "speechless" as I recall......see linked article!

 

https://www.colts.com/news/kenny-moore-ii-speechless-after-signing-new-contract

 

From Sportrac

Kenny Moore signed a 4 year, $33,300,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including $9,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,325,000. In 2022, Moore will earn a base salary of $6,500,000 and a roster bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,750,000.

Contract: 4 yr(s) / $33,300,000

Guaranteed at Signing: $9,000,000

Average Salary: $8,325,000

 

Edited by NFLfan
Removed expletives / masked profanity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

So the 15th best corner for the duration of his previous contract. Now do the same for last year. Because he's certainly not anywhere close to top 15 last year. Maybe top 50.... 

 

Dear God,  these rants are embarrassing.   Moore is one of the top nickel corners in the game.   No, he didn’t have a great year last year.   He also had injuries and Covid.  And the market for corners has exploded.  Did you just see what Alexander in GB got?   $21m per.   
 

Kenny will likely get some more guaranteed money despite your moral outrage and indignation.   Good grief. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

It wasn't just the end of the season. I didn't like his play throughout the whole season, there was a very clear step down from his previous years... the last two games were hust the exclamation point of the whole thing. The PB was nonsense. He didn't deserve that spot(for this year... maybe he deserved it for previous ones), 

 

I think he's a bit of an overrated player because he has limitations. But I still love the guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yes, he earned that contract and the Colts gave it go him. I have no problem with his current contract. And he is still UNDER THAT CONTRACT!! For TWO MORE YEARS! So how about he gets on the field and practice with his teammates as if he's actually being paid by the Colts and as if it's actually HIS SIGNATURE under that contract. 

 

His best opportunity to maximize his earning potential is to get his * on the practice field and have a good season. If he had played well, I bet Ballard wouldn't mind giving him an extension and a good contract he would be happy with. But what he wants is something entirely different - he wants to play like % and still get paid. Well, no.... I'd be good with the Colts just telling him - no, prove it. Unless that whole accountability thing was just for show and Wentz was indeed the only scapegoat who deserved any beef for what this team did last year. 

 

Yeah, this is typical, rabid fan, bitter nonsense, turning hard on a player using the only leverage he has to maximize his earning potential. 

 

The Colts could cut Kenny Moore tomorrow, and pay him absolutely nothing more. If Moore is practicing in OTAs and blows an Achilles or an ACL, the Colts would IR him and force an injury split into his contract, reducing his 2022 earnings. Let's not talk about the sanctity of the contract, when that sanctity is one-sided. 

 

It's also pretty extreme to undermine a player's entire career because he had a couple bad games at the end of the season. Kenny Moore and Carson Wentz are not the same guy just because they both played poorly in the last two games. 

 

And really, as was mentioned earlier, this is the weakest "holdout" I've ever seen. First, it's not a holdout because OTAs are voluntary -- another area where players get screwed in public perception, because if they choose not to show up to a non-mandatory team event then the fans and media turn on them, even though it's the players risking their career/health, especially with no guaranteed money on their contracts (like Moore right now).

 

Second, the dude is actually present, and just not practicing on the field. Aaron Rodgers -- who flamed out in the playoffs again, and who has held his team hostage the last two offseasons, and who signed a massive contract to make him the highest paid player in the league -- is literally on the golf course as I type this, advancing his own agenda, while his teammates are at OTAs. 

 

And if the Colts tell Kenny Moore 'no, prove it, and we'll talk,' that's fine. It would not be the first time a team told a player with two years remaining on his contract that they weren't going to talk about a new deal. There are lots of ways they can handle this, and I'm sure they've weighed them out. Just because he wants a new deal doesn't mean they have to capitulate, and I'd be fine with them taking a hardline there. 

 

What I'm not fine with is people acting like he's "wrong" for making his wishes known, in literally the only way he can.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good for him. As long as his agent has a case, and he indeed can prove that case then he does deserve to get paid as much as he can, while he can.

 

This is NOT a negative thing, Colts fans. If our GM and his staff (inc coaching staff) did not anticipate this happening then we need a new GM. 

The way the BUSINESS of the sport works should be separated from the way the love and other mushy side of the sport works. As long as Moore shows up when he is mandated to, and that he plays up to the level of the wage he is asking for, then i don't see the problem. OTAs are optional, last i checked. I believe a great player used to once say that....ah yes, Edgerrin James was his name.

 

Good for Kenny, get paid dude. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

 

This is the business. He's a good player, just made his first Pro Bowl (which earned him an extra $300k over the next two years), likely at the peak of his powers. There's no more guaranteed money on his contract. He'll be 27 at the start of the season, 29 when his contract expires. This represents a good chance for him to lock up more money and maximize his earning potential. As a UDFA, he was able to sign his new deal a year early, so now only five years into his career he has a rare chance for a third contract while his 30s are still a little ways away. He's the 24th highest paid corner in the NFL, making about 40% of what the highest paid corners make, and he's the 2nd highest paid on the roster now that Gilmore is here. He also might be uncertain about his future in the new defense, and wants to lock up more money/guarantees before that uncertainty costs him some standing.

 

I agree that he wasn't great last season, especially at the end of the year. But his reasoning is obvious, and I think the team knows better than to say 'Kenny, get back to work, we're not going to extend you or give you more money, plus you kind of let us down last season.' 

 

Also, his 'holdout' is kind of as peaceful and reasonable as it could be. It's like 'hey, I would like to be taken seriously, but I don't want to rock the boat too much.' Hopefully it gets resolved without too much trouble, but it's possible they just move some money around. They could give him some more guaranteed money in 2022 and bring his cap hit down, without extending him. I kind of thought they should restructure him anyway, he seemed like an obvious candidate to create some cap space.

You, my friend, understand the business of football.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

So disappointing.  Maybe the last Colt I’d have expected this from.

 

One thing I hate about pro sports is that contracts just don’t seem to be honored the way they are in other walks of life.  Too many players seem to honor contracts only so long as they still like them…:as soon as they no longer like them, they act as if they never signed it.

 

Imagine if one of the teams tried to do something like this whenever they get buyer’s remorse on a contract.


Ok..    your last paragraph says you don’t follow football very closely.   Teams do this all the time.  Even the Colts.  We signed Pierre Desir to 3 years and 22 million.   One year later, we cut him.   Desir got zero more dollars from the Colts.  This happens every year.  
 

Don’t you notice every year just before free agency starts and some teams are way WAY Over The Cap and people here anticipate teams cutting expensive players?   This happens every year.   
 

Players laugh at fans who don’t get this.   Teams cut players all the time who have years left on their contract.   If we wanted, we could cut Kenny Moore today and we’d owe him zero. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont know if you can let Hunter Renfrow do what he did week 16 and try to hold out for a new contract... All jokes aside I really like Kenny one of my favorites on the Colts today but he did leave a bad taste in my mouth those last two weeks but hopefully they figure it all out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, he earned that contract and the Colts gave it go him. I have no problem with his current contract. And he is still UNDER THAT CONTRACT!! For TWO MORE YEARS! So how about he gets on the field and practice with his teammates as if he's actually being paid by the Colts and as if it's actually HIS SIGNATURE under that contract.  

 

He was an UDFA, so he actually got his extension after only two years in the league. The Colts took a big leap in giving him a 4-year extension after one season starting. He knew the score too when he signed that deal...that he was trading some future earning potential to get some security really early in his career.

 

But I understand his position as well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Ok..    your last paragraph says you don’t follow football very closely.   Teams do this all the time.  Even the Colts.  We signed Pierre Desir to 3 years and 22 million.   One year later, we cut him.   Desir got zero more dollars from the Colts.  This happens every year.  
 

Don’t you notice every year just before free agency starts and some teams are way WAY Over The Cap and people here anticipate teams cutting expensive players?   This happens every year.   
 

Players laugh at fans who don’t get this.   Teams cut players all the time who have years left on their contract.   If we wanted, we could cut Kenny Moore today and we’d owe him zero. 

 

Yeah, the 'honor your contract!' crowd is out of touch in a real way.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DeFo is another who I thought might be a potential holdout at some point. The last two years of his contract have no gtd money, which is unusual for a player of his status. Plus, he will only be 29 and could still get another huge contract with some serious guarantees.

 

So that could be an interesting one to watch as well.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • This take is wild to me.   Imagine Tua being 'cleared' by the medical staff and then insisting that he doesn't feel right and refusing to go back in. Imagine the way that everyone - fans, media, teammates - would react to that. We've already got * fans of this team insisting that Leonard should be playing because he was able to stand on the sideline and cheer the team on against the Chiefs - people questioning his commitment.   Almost every player is likely to *want* to go back in because they're competitive and relentless by their very nature. It's tough to get to the NFL if you're not a little crazy like that. But even more importantly, every player is *forced* to want to go back in because their entire livelihood depends on it. Tua hasn't had a great start to his career. He's just getting hot and you expect him to say, 'Nah coach, stick Teddy out there. I'm gonna sit this one out. He can win the game as well as I can so it's all good.' You need a little head wobble of your own if you think that constitutes lying or if you think any player is going to say something like that.   It's the players that put their lives on the line when they take the field. They make a fantastic living doing it, and they do it by choice, but there are a huge number of people who also make a great living in the NFL without ever having to place themselves in equally dangerous situations. It's the responsibility of those people - owners, doctors, NFL staff, etc. - to safeguard the players on whom the league relies because they're not always in a position to safeguard themselves.
    • I want him to play but I absolutely want the medical staff to err on the side of caution. A random win in Week 4 isn't worth trading Leonard's long-term health for. You can't be messing around and rolling the dice when it comes to the back/spine.      It's the job of the NFL and its organisations to try to keep the players safe though, not place them in harm's way intentionally. At least, it should be.    That's like saying people shouldn't have to wear seatbelts when they drive because there's a chance that they'll crash and die anyway. I think that's silly.   He didn't pass the rules that were in place, which is a huge part of the problem. Gross Motor Instability is supposed to be an immediate removal from the game and he's placed into concussion protocol. Gross Motor Instability is exactly what Tua displayed but he returned to the game anyway. The only way this could happen is if his instability was proven to be orthopaedic rather than neurological, and there's simply no way that that was the case. 
    • Yeah, the last time Buckner was out vs. Henry - that went really well.  It was a demoralizing 2000s style rush defense performance.
    • taylor is mot running as well since glow is gone
    • I am betting Leonard plays.  The fact he hasn’t been ruled out means he’s very close.  Buckner I think the signs are pointing to him not playing and that’s concerning.  The one game he missed vs the Titans they ran wild.
  • Members

    • Myles

      Myles 5,883

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Miles

      Miles 8

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DEColtsLover36

      DEColtsLover36 1,328

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MikeCurtis

      MikeCurtis 3,361

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IrsaysArmy

      IrsaysArmy 977

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MarquisJ

      MarquisJ 447

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indy87

      Indy87 170

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Blindside

      Blindside 71

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dunk

      Dunk 745

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jshipp23

      jshipp23 427

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...