Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select WR Alec Pierce

tvturner

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Superman said:

I hope Pierce over Moore isn't something we regret 3 years from now.

Pro Football Focus gave Moore a 91.8 receiving grade last season, the second-highest mark in the FBS among receivers. Some models compared him to Texans wideout Brandin Cooks, in large part due to his consistency as a route runner. Moore had 262 yards after contact in 2021 (tied for ninth in the FBS, per PFF) and forced 26 missed tackles on receptions (tied for the most in the FBS).

Moore went to the right team where Andy Reid schemes YAC like crazy for numbers. Pierce went to the right team where he is bound to see plenty of 1-on-1s on the outside and is moved around for us to play possession football. Yes, that will be the baseline for us Colts fans at least over the next 3 years. However, in a pass happy offense of Reid, don't be surprised if Moore puts up very good numbers.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Pro Football Focus gave Moore a 91.8 receiving grade last season, the second-highest mark in the FBS among receivers. Some models compared him to Texans wideout Brandin Cooks, in large part due to his consistency as a route runner. Moore had 262 yards after contact in 2021 (tied for ninth in the FBS, per PFF) and forced 26 missed tackles on receptions (tied for the most in the FBS).

Moore went to the right team where Andy Reid schemes YAC like crazy for numbers. Pierce went to the right team where he is bound to see plenty of 1-on-1s on the outside and is moved around for us to play possession football. Yes, that will be the baseline for us Colts fans at least over the next 3 years. However, in a pass happy offense of Reid, don't be surprised if Moore puts up very good numbers.

Moore also has better catch percentages too. That said, seems like this Pierce kid has a bit of a chip and wants to show the world that he’s been under studied and under recruited his entire life. 

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Moore also has better catch percentages too. That said, seems like this Pierce kid has a bit of a chip and wants to show the world that he’s been under studied and under recruited his entire life. 

Pierce is 6'3, Moore 5'10. I think that is one reason why Ballard chose him over Moore when he had both options there. Matt Ryan loves tall WR's. I am not comparing Julio to Pierce but Julio is 6'3, Julio is Hall of Fame material. I do think Pierce is the type of WR that can win jump balls and beat you with his speed deep. 

1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

Seeing that I’m in the minority, taking Pierce over Moore will be as big a mistake as Campbell over McLaurin. I like the other picks a lot, but Pierce will be a surprise to me if he turns out to be a productive player. 

I would have preferred Moore, personally.  Just out of curiosity, what would you consider productive for Pierce?

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pierce is 6'3, Moore 5'10. I think that is one reason why Ballard chose him over Moore when he had both options there. Matt Ryan loves tall WR's. I am not comparing Julio to Pierce but Julio is 6'3, Julio is Hall of Fame material. I do think Pierce is the type of WR that can win jump balls and beat you with his speed deep. 

I had already said that Ballard was going to go with the size prospect over the smaller framed one.  He rarely if ever selects anybody who is undersized with a high draft pick.  I didnt expect the pick to be Pierce but he's not a bad player though.  I think he's very similar to Ed Mcaffrey. 

2 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Seeing that I’m in the minority, taking Pierce over Moore will be as big a mistake as Campbell over McLaurin. I like the other picks a lot, but Pierce will be a surprise to me if he turns out to be a productive player. 

Pierce isn't injury prone and he is bigger/taller and stronger than Campbell is. I could honestly see Pierce being as good as Pittman is.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I had already said that Ballard was going to go with the size prospect over the smaller framed one.  He rarely if ever selects anybody who is undersized with a high draft pick.  I didnt expect the pick to be Pierce but he's not a bad player though.  I think he's very similar to Ed Mcaffrey. 

I look at him as a taller Jordy Nelson as well. I will take that all day.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pierce isn't injury prone and he is bigger/taller and stronger than Campbell is. I could honestly see Pierce being as good as Pittman is.

Good Comp

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There was one GB site that had Jordy Nelson listed at 6'2 but Wiki has him listed at 6'3. Pierce could be his clone lmao 

12 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Check the catch at 3:20. Damn/..

You do realize what is most telling in your highlight reel/video right?

Hint: It's all the contested catches. Like 80% or more. 

Now, on one hand you could be pleased that he can win these types of situations, however the reality here is that his knock is he cannot gain enough separation which has 80% of his catches/targets contested by the DB's. These contested catches will not be so friendly in the NFL.

This has been the Colts major problem with their wideouts all along. They can't separate in the NFL within the 12-20 yard box, and we go add another in hopes the player will work on it and become better? <That's what Ballard meant where he said he has work to do when referring to Pierce. You realize that yes?

When everyone realizes you have issues with receivers gaining separation you don't go add another one in the same mold and yet that's exactly what Ballard just did.

Will Pierce be okay at times? Sure, but overall, another JAG that would be another teams WR3 at best. 

Conclusion: Epic Fail and a desperation pick. 

I tru

I truly hope I am wrong, although I don't think that I am

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wonder if he's got plans for another WR?  Im leaning more towards no but we shall see. 

I think Ballard might be done with the WR position. Dulin, Patmon and Strachan will get their chances, Dulin can fly on post routes, he has shown that. I am thinking there won't be any more WRs drafted for us.

It will be mostly defense on Day 3. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Ballard might be done with the WR position. Dulin, Patmon and Strachan will get their chances, Dulin can fly on post routes, he has shown that. I am thinking there won't be any more WRs drafted for us.

Yeah I think we need DL /Edge depth and maybe add one more reserve CB.  I think Tell is good depth at one of the CB but we need another guy or two added to the rotation.   I think he also needs to add some depth at Guard potentially. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I must disagree. These “kids” are getting upwards of 200-300 grand or more in education for free and getting set up to make MILLIONS over their lives.  They get free room and board, free tuition, free books, free food, and often free clothes. To play a game. 

I don’t think they should be paid nor do I think think they should be allowed to do endorsements and sponsors and such. 

but we should probably continue this discussion elsewhere . My apologies for further de-railing this thread 

Yeah I could go on and on about this topic that would quickly derail this thread.  My bad for bringing it up. 

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wonder if he's got plans for another WR?  Im leaning more towards no but we shall see. 

They could but I think they add a vet after the draft to go with all the young guys in that locker room.  My gut says TY ends up back for one more year.

14 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Now, on one hand you could be pleased that he can win these types of situations, however the reality here is that his knock is he cannot gain enough separation which has 80% of his catches/targets contested by the DB's. These contested catches will not be so friendly in the NFL.

This has been the Colts major problem with their wideouts all along. They can't separate in the NFL within the 12-20 yard box, and we go add another in hopes the player will work on it and become better? <That's what Ballard meant where he said he has work to do when referring to Pierce. You realize that yes?

When everyone realizes you have issues with receivers gaining separation you don't go add another one in the same mold and yet that's exactly what Ballard just did.

Will Pierce be okay at times? Sure, but overall, another JAG that would be another teams WR3 at best. 

I tru

I’m not sure how I can see it being a desperation pick. Desperation pick would be if all the top WRs were gone and then you go ahead and chase WR anyways.  That’s not what happened here.

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I really see him as a bust. Hope to be wrong on him, but just hate the pick. 

Eh as a year one day one starter, maybe. But I think he’s definitely going to be some solid depth at a minimum. I think the floor is a Joe Haeg type player with the ceiling maybe being an Eric Fisher, which isn’t bad for a late 2nd rounder. 

Just now, Nate! said:

I’m not sure how I can see it being a desperation pick. Desperation pick would be if all the top WRs were gone and then you go ahead and chase WR anyways.  That’s not what happened here.

It's desperation as, like us, the Colts knew that they needed a WR who was taller than 6'. Enter Pierce. Of the wideouts remaining at that time, it was Pierce who fit that bill.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are some that will not like this, because they will say he is too old but I see TY back on a cheap deal. I would be fine with it with Matt at QB. 

I noticed something that Ballard said in his conference. He said they’re not afraid to take a small, burner type guy but it hasn’t worked out that way... yet. With an increase in tone in the yet. I think they’ll look to either trade up or find that burner in the 5th

Just now, Indeee said:

It's desperation as, like us, the Colts knew that they needed a WR who was taller than 6'. Enter Pierce. Of the wideouts remaining at that time, it was Pierce who fit that bill.

Not desperation at all, Pierce was slated to go somewhere in Round 2. He is tall with speed. He contributed big time against elite Comp on the college level getting to the Final 4. Desperation would be drafting someone on a gut in Round 2 that was slated to go in Round 4 or 5.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

It’s splitting hairs but I wouldn’t call it desperation. A desperation pick is trading the farm to move up to take a guy a full round or better than where he normally would go due to a run at that position. And those are the guys that typically bust and bust fast

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah I think we need DL /Edge depth and maybe add one more reserve CB.  I think Tell is good depth at one of the CB but we need another guy or two added to the rotation.   I think he also needs to add some depth at Guard potentially. 

I think we’re good on DL/Edge for the moment but I can see a flyer on CB and G for sure

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I noticed something that Ballard said in his conference. He said they’re not afraid to take a small, burner type guy but it hasn’t worked out that way... yet. With an increase in tone in the yet. I think they’ll look to either trade up or find that burner in the 5th

Yeah I posted earlier, I would take another WR in hopes that he turns out good.

24 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I tru

Noted. We shall see. I’m not drinking the kool aide on this pick nor am I totally screaming bust either. I can see the potential, but I, like you, think the jury is gonna be out for a while on this guy, as well as every single other prospect. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is always someone in the crowd lmao What would've been was is taking a QB like a handful of people wanted to do in here. Ballard has common sense though :thmup:

I honestly am surprised that you really don't get it here. The Colts were took. Watson WAS their guy and the Packers hoodwinked them all because Ballard didn't make a play and move into backend of round one or at least top of round 2 and it really cost them. For those who keep comparing Pierce to Jordy and Kupp, entirely off. Watson is that comparison and it's why the Packers went and got him.

This team needed a true WR1 or a player that had that ceiling and the only two that had that ceiling remaining on day 2 was Watson and Pickens and the Colts got neither so they are stuck with a career low-end WR2 or top WR3 at best. It's pathetic and you should stop overlooking this and making excuses for this blatant protocol all because Ballard wont be aggressive and or know how to read the room

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s splitting hairs but I wouldn’t call it desperation. A desperation pick is trading the farm to move up to take a guy a full round or better than where he normally would go due to a run at that position. And those are the guys that typically bust and bust fast

Yep. The only desperation around here right now is those straining to underscore Ballard's decisions in this draft. 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think we’re good on DL/Edge for the moment but I can see a flyer on CB and G for sure

I don't think our depth is good.  The main line starters are fine but we dont' have much depth behind them besides Lewis. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I honestly am surprised that you really don't get it here. The Colts were took. Watson WAS their guy and the Packers hoodwinked them all because Ballard didn't make a play and move into backend of round one or at least top of round 2 and it really cost them. For those who keep comparing Pierce to Jordy and Kupp, entirely off. Watson is that comparison and it's why the Packers went and got him.

This team needed a true WR1 or a player that had that ceiling and the only two that had that ceiling remaining on day 2 was Watson and Pickens and the Colts got neither so they are stuck with a career low-end WR2 or top WR3 at best. It's pathetic and you should stop overlooking this and making excuses for this blatant protocol all because Ballard wont be aggressive and or know how to read the room

I did compare him to Jordy but not Kupp. Kupp is the best WR in football. Pierce will be good, at least IMO he will be.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Desperation could be viewed a couple ways. I clearly mean grabbing the player where they did as no one else was left with a couple measurables they were seeking. Problem here is that Pierce is not as talented as the two they should have aggressively gone after on day 2,. being Watson or Pickens. 

The angst is hilarious. Try going back to his game film and picture a QB getting him the ball right after his break....in stride. His highlight film will look completely different. Of course there is going to be contested balls if the QB has to wait for you to look at him before he releases.

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

May have said this to you yesterday. Obvious only way to have traded up would’ve been giving a first from 2023.  Colts would’ve been killed for doing that.  That would’ve been desperation

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

And you know this how? 

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think it’ll depend on who’s on the board and where

Archived