Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select WR Alec Pierce

tvturner

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

I don't believe Hill will be good in Miami at all until Tua is replaced and that is coming you can bet on that. Tua can't throw the ball 30 yards in the air...Ha!!

Miami will be in a SB in the next 3 years you can bet on that too. They will build that team like KC did. All players and QB last. This is what should have happened here and it's a shame as we have a much better defense than KC or Miami, but Ballard wants a QB to make stars out of a bunch of Jags. It's comical. 

he is drafting for position of need because of the glaring holes his method has created, he is passing on best talent available to fill position of need with average prospects

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

he is drafting for position of need because of the glaring holes his method has created, he is passing on best talent available to fill position of need with average prospects

I've always wondered how you can evaluate "best" between different positions when you obviously have a "need" at one position. Is "best" whatever someone says it is? That's not good.

4 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

TY Hilton has taken notice! I think a Pitman X, Pierce Z and TY in the slot would be a pretty good starting WR group.

I wouldn’t mind bringing TY back one more year on a minimum deal. He could help Reggie coach the guys up with his understanding of the game, techniques, and verbiage. That being said, I am really hoping Reich views Hines as our primary slot guy this year. It just makes too much sense! 

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

That's what I have been trying to relay, and thanks for seeing that. That of the three left at top of day two, being Pickens, Watson, and Pierce, I saw more upside in Watson and Pickens, and I would've been more aggressive in trying to acquire them and the Colts weren't and settled for Pierce, and that has been the issue with many of us on this forum when speaking of Ballard's approach. He isn't aggressive enough in times where it is warranted and, in some cases, especially at wideout, it has been at the detriment to the Colts team. 

No one is saying Pierce is better than Watson or Pickens.   I’m certainly not.  Pickens is a good player.   

But he’s a head case.  Pickens would not be a good fit in our building.   Million dollar talent; 10 cent head.   Ballard has no tolerance for guys like that — and certainly not with a puck in the 40’s or 50’s.  

And I love how you say Pierce will play hard and practice hard and then add — who cares!
Ballard does.  Reich does.  Everyone in the building does.   Elite is great, I’m not downplaying, but Ballard wants elite character too.    This is Year 6 for Ballard,  and this is who he is.   And Irsay supports him. 

You also write, if Ballard wins, he’ll “likely” be forgiven.   Likely?    Ya think?!?   

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one is saying Pierce is better than Watson or Pickens.   I’m certainly not.  Pickens is a good player.   

But he’s a head case.  Pickens would not be a good fit in our building.   Million dollar talent; 10 cent head.   Ballard has no tolerance for guys like that — and certainly not with a puck in the 40’s or 50’s.  

And I love how you say Pierce will play hard and practice hard and then add — who cares!
Ballard does.  Reich does.  Everyone in the building does.   Elite is great, I’m not downplaying, but Ballard wants elite character too.    This is Year 6 for Ballard,  and this is who he is.   And Irsay supports him. 

You also write, if Ballard wins, he’ll “likely” be forgiven.   Likely?    Ya think?!?   

The case to be made here is that if you take that chance. Ballard chose not to but Colbert did. You think Colbert is trying to set up Tomlin and the Steelers Organization on his way out? I don't. 

Talent vs. Passivity

Reward vs Risk

Everybody touting Pierce as a great blocker, have you seen Pickens block? He's Nelson on the outside

There is something else going on here with Ballard and wideouts.

If he makes that Pick and it fails because of Pickens head case junk do you really believe that anyone media or otherwise, especially fans would've been screaming that he should've drafted Pierce? The answer is no. 

Do you believe it would have set this team back if Pickens didn't work out? The answer is no because Ballard already had all these little JAGS anyway. All he did was just add another one and that is my point. 

Ballard is gun-shy in crucial areas of talent. Maybe he just doesn't ever want to pay that type of talent and doesn't want to be put in a spot considering he always jacks up the "pay our own" narrative. Honestly, that is nothing but pure speculation but it's really the only thing that makes any sense.

Right now Ballard should be on the horn trying o see what it would take to pry Claypool away from the Steelers because something really is going on there especially as they just took Austin as well. Steelers certainly are not going to give up Johnson or maybe they will. Either way, Ballard needs to jump that call asap. Claypool or Johnson in Indy? Yes please

53 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

TY Hilton has taken notice! I think a Pitman X, Pierce Z and TY in the slot would be a pretty good starting WR group.

I hope so.  I bet that wr room with him and Wayne coaching up these guys would be amazing 

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I hope so.  I bet that wr room with him and Wayne coaching up these guys would be amazing 

If TY isnt concerned with a big payday and is willing to come for one last championship run with his only team then i'd be all for it. I suspect he may want a multiple year deal but if i'm Ballard i'm not giving him that, maybe a one year deal with an option to extend if he hits certain markers. Either way, this has to be a deal done heavily in the Colts favor. Last year, we did him a solid, Wentz or no Wentz

10 hours ago, Indeee said:

I took that into consideration and that might be a factor as well, but you have to remember that Ryan's arm strength isn't what it used to be either. I'm not just doing this to validate my point on Pierce, I'm just saying that if his separation issues are a product of sporadic QB play too then how are we really ever going to tell if Ryan's QB play on deep balls is sporadic as well?

Are you saying a weak armed QB who consistently underthrows receivers would not present a problem for Watson? How can that be?

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

The case to be made here is that if you take that chance. Ballard chose not to but Colbert did. You think Colbert is trying to set up Tomlin and the Steelers Organization on his way out? I don't. 

Talent vs. Passivity

Reward vs Risk

Everybody touting Pierce as a great blocker, have you seen Pickens block? He's Nelson on the outside

There is something else going on here with Ballard and wideouts.

If he makes that Pick and it fails because of Pickens head case junk do you really believe that anyone media or otherwise, especially fans would've been screaming that he should've drafted Pierce? The answer is no. 

Do you believe it would have set this team back if Pickens didn't work out? The answer is no because Ballard already had all these little JAGS anyway. All he did was just add another one and that is my point. 

Ballard is gun-shy in crucial areas of talent. Maybe he just doesn't ever want to pay that type of talent and doesn't want to be put in a spot considering he always jacks up the "pay our own" narrative. Honestly, that is nothing but pure speculation but it's really the only thing that makes any sense.

Right now Ballard should be on the horn trying o see what it would take to pry Claypool away from the Steelers because something really is going on there especially as they just took Austin as well. Steelers certainly are not going to give up Johnson or maybe they will. Either way, Ballard needs to jump that call asap. Claypool or Johnson in Indy? Yes please

For some reason I get the impressionthhat you dislike Ballard.  You were super critical during FA and how did that work out? I pointed out at the time that you would find fault if he trade one of you so called JAGs for Maholmes. He can do nothing right by you and I think some have already pointed this out.

As for as Pickens, I feel he would be a locker room cancer and thank God Ballard will not let that happen. Must be sad to claim you are a Colt fan and despise the GM and the guys he's drafted before they even show up at the Colt complex. 

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

For some reason I get the impressionthhat you dislike Ballard.  You were super critical during FA and how did that work out? I pointed out at the time that you would find fault if he trade one of you so called JAGs for Maholmes. He can do nothing right by you and I think some have already pointed this out.

As for as Pickens, I feel he would be a locker room cancer and thank God Ballard will not let that happen. Must be sad to claim you are a Colt fan and despise the GM and the guys he's drafted before they even show up at the Colt complex. 

Because he does.  

9 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Notre Dame tape eliminated that AAC worry for me.

He had a nice game vs ND, but also had duds against some bad AAC teams. 

Would have to go back and watch the ND tape, but IIRC, he had some deep stuff, which I'm not sure he'll be used like that here.

Projecting 2022 with Alec Pierce. If this guy stays healthy, I think sometime in week 6-8 through the end of the season, this kid will put the league on notice like JT did, and Pittman to a lesser extent. Alec Pierce is a sublime receiver. Can win on all three levels, plays fast, good hands. He's not Cooper Kupp level agile but he has speed that Kupp never had and he can straight up dominate man coverage. I don't know who needs to hear this but the Colts offense is going to EAT next year. And if Parris Campbell can somehow escape the injury bug....watch out. There won't be enough balls to go around.

After we got Ryan, i said we were a good team trending on very good. After this weekend, provided health cooperates, we can hang with any team in this league. The ceiling is the Super Bowl, and this isnt just post draft hype. The pieces are there. We've known for a while that we can hang with the best. Did it last season, did it the season before. It's just been ill luck, inconsistency, and lack of necessary weapons and depth that's stopped us. 

Now, we gotta go out and actually start fast, and follow up by winning the AFC South, but guys.....i think the pieces are all there. Lets see what happens. 

7 hours ago, CardiacColts said:

I wouldn’t mind bringing TY back one more year on a minimum deal. He could help Reggie coach the guys up with his understanding of the game, techniques, and verbiage. That being said, I am really hoping Reich views Hines as our primary slot guy this year. It just makes too much sense! 

It is about Matt Ryan more than Reich!!! If he makes the right reads when necessary, he will hit Hines more often in space than Wentz did, very much like Rivers. He liked throwing to Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman while with the Falcons plenty. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is about Matt Ryan more than Reich!!! If he makes the right reads when necessary, he will hit Hines more often in space than Wentz did, very much like Rivers. He liked throwing to Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman while with the Falcons plenty. 

This is an underrated comment! You are spot on! All I ask is that we have Hines on the field to create these opportunities!

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He had a nice game vs ND, but also had duds against some bad AAC teams. 

Would have to go back and watch the ND tape, but IIRC, he had some deep stuff, which I'm not sure he'll be used like that here.

That is the thing, how he is used and the QB he plays with. Matt Ryan, even though he had Julio Jones, he did not throw too many jump balls unless it was necessary in the red zone. He always led Julio Jones with good touch and accuracy or gave him back shoulder throws. Zone coverage, Julio was an easy big target if he found the zone right, that I am not worried about.

You are not going to get YAC from Alec Pierce against NFL DBs but he did go against a Top 10 CB in Sauce Gardner in practice every day and experienced plenty of man coverage. Think of it like Austin Collie coming to the perfect system for him to flourish (and to an extent a not so good system where Peyton left his slot guys like Stokley, Clark and then Collie to dry in the slot more often than not) with Peyton.

Alec Pierce would not flourish in a system of reverses and YAC like the Chiefs do but he will with us. He won't get too many underthrown balls like Wentz did with MPJ or even his own Cinci QB Ridder did with him. He will however get plenty of back shoulder fast balls like Rodgers did with Adams, you can bet on that in pressure situations. However, slants and digs, he probably won't win against NFL CBs much. That could also be a by product of his system in Cincinnati too where I rarely saw him used for those. Rodgers, when he got Jordy Nelson, the delivery and the space for Jordy after the catch was a beauty to watch. I don't think Pierce has the supreme hands Jordy had but it is close enough. We will find out soon enough. He is not good with out breakers or comebacks but with Matt Ryan's fading arm and Reich's system not using them as much as Tom Moore did with Marvin and Reggie, I doubt we will run such routes.

I'll admit I don't follow the college players like I used to, and I really didn't know much about Pierce. So I have spent the last 2 days digging up Cinncinnati games watching them. The very first thing that stood out about Pierce is he was constantly running by corners, getting wide open and then having to wait on a poorly thrown, under thrown ball and he would have to take the ball from the defender with great hands. He has tremendous hands.(just like Reggie Wayne). I wasn't excited about the pick when we made it, but now, this is a tremendous pick. Great job Ballard and staff. Pierce is a bigger faster Cooper Kupp and probably has better hands. One side note, Curtis Brooks did okay against the Alabama offensive line in the national semifinal game.

I think Alec Pierce is a good pick and has lots of upside and potential.  He has good hands, he is fast and has the frame and is physical enough to grab contested passes.  The only downsides I see with him are his lack of agility which will affect his ability to get yards after the catch and he has run a limited route tree consisting of mostly vertical routes so far.  A lack of separation from coverage may be another issue.  Hopefully some mentoring from Reggie Wayne and the coaching staff will teach him a more varied route tree and how to get separation from coverage.  ESPN compared him to Jordy Nelson and Cooper Kupp in their analysis and I can see why that may be valid.

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

Alec Pierce would not flourish in a system of reverses and YAC like the Chiefs do but he will with us. He won't get too many underthrown balls like Wentz did with MPJ or even his own Cinci QB Ridder did with him. He will however get plenty of back shoulder fast balls like Rodgers did with Adams, you can bet on that in pressure situations. However, slants and digs, he probably won't win against NFL CBs much. That could also be a by product of his system in Cincinnati too where I rarely saw him used for those. Rodgers, when he got Jordy Nelson, the delivery and the space for Jordy after the catch was a beauty to watch. I don't think Pierce has the supreme hands Jordy had but it is close enough. We will find out soon enough. He is not good with out breakers or comebacks but with Matt Ryan's fading arm and Reich's system not using them as much as Tom Moore did with Marvin and Reggie, I doubt we will run such routes.

Agreed.  Before we pass judgment or pigeon hole him has being able to do certain things but not other, lets see what he can do if he actually gets a crosser or a post route with some space in front of him. 

I don't think his tape is a very good judge of what he might be able to do.   It looks like the Cincy offense was a bit limited. (to accommodate Ridder?)

What kind of YAC are we talking about?  Deebo Samuel or Lockett shifty to go in motion and take a 10 yard slant through the defense?  Probably not.  I'm guessing that he has enough agility to make a guy miss and get some YAC when he's thrown to like an outside receiver usually is....gets a step on his man and has open space in front of him.

There is a reason that Pierce lasted to 53, and why guys like Jamar Chase are top 10, so lets tailor the expectations to what he is supposed to fulfill.  

On 4/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, csmopar said:

You said you know that Watson was their guy. How do you know this? Or is it speculation?

and I’m pretty clearly asking who you would have taken at 53 or even 42 for that matter, limited to only available players at that time

Would have taken Sky Moore instead of Pierce. We now have too many tall receivers that have trouble getting seperation. I predict that Moore will have a better career than Pierce. Book it.

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

Would have taken Sky Moore instead of Pierce. We now have too many tall receivers that have trouble getting seperation. I predict that Moore will have a better career than Pierce. Book it.

Moore will have a good career and he should with Mahomes throwing him the ball lmao . I don't get this stuff about Pierce doesn't get separation. A couple of other people had said in here as well. I watched at least 3 or 4 Cincy games last year, including the Notre Dame game where his separation was fine. Pierce will be good.

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

That’s not Pierces fault, I don’t think you can knock a player because the Colts have too many tall receivers.

Pierce does get separation, he was also one of the quickest tall receivers in CFB last year.

Ballard and Reich have made it pretty obvious they prefer bigger guys over small speed guys.

6 minutes ago, tvturner said:

The amount of plays that Alec Pierce was open during or had his CB beat without getting the ball this year was way too many.

Ridder missed a lot of chances with him

Exactly and this myth we only go for tall WR's is false, Campbell is only 6'0 and a speedy WR and that hasn't worked out at all.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Exactly and this myth we only go for tall WR's is false, Campbell is only 6'0 and a speedy WR and that hasn't worked out at all.

That’s hardly proof of a false myth. 

We haven’t drafted a single wide receiver below 6’0”.    Not in any round.   I don’t think we’ve signed a March free agent under 6’. 

We’ve only grabbed a few guys off the street like Harris and Coutee who are under, and I think Coutee is 5’11”…?

We clearly, obvious much prefer taller  receivers.   I have no idea why you or anyone would try to argue otherwise.  Campbell getting hurt isn’t proof that we don’t prefer tall receivers.   The evidence is overwhelming. 

This is a strange one for you.   This isn’t a myth.  It’s fact.   

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Well he is with mahomes so no surprise  there. I will say he actually  does get separation but the way his qb threw the ball he had to come back  to it more often than not 

I don’t understand how some folks on this board can find enough energy to breath for themselves with all of the effort they put in spewing dislike for everything and anything that GM Ballard does.  It’s exhausting.  

Alec Pierce has some areas to work on before he is the next Jerry Rice but, he’s far from the next Na’Keal Henry.  This kid has speed, height, hands and desire.  He has a chip on his shoulder also.  Just like his college and now Colts teammate.  That will bode very well for them as they “prove” themselves to the doubters and the haters.  Raimann is the same way.  Great athlete who is still learning the game but on the fast track to success.  

I’m going to pin this response and check back in 3 years to revisit to see if I was right or wrong but, I’m extremely happy with the draft and additions to the Colts through free agency.  

If you just want to be negative all the time and it makes you so disgusted at the way this team is managed, organized and constructed, maybe you should get a hobby or give up football.  Just my opinion. 

I think hes a real 4.33. This kid can play especially if hes put with a vet like Ryan.

Ive seen enough cut ups of his to know he will make plays on the NFL level. And especially with a master like Reggie teaching him how to get off the line and how to sell his routes.

Archived