Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select WR Alec Pierce

tvturner

I'm watching his tape now. He would've had at least 3 more touchdowns if Ridder doesn't underthrow him. He makes great adjustments to the ball mid-air. We got a solid player here.

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

This kid fights for the ball like someone is trying to steal his lunch. What's his 50/50 ball catch rate?

I am telling you - Ed McCaffrey / Anquan Boldin that is moved around is what I see here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I kind of wanted Moore but this makes so much sense.  We lost Pascal, who was really good in the run game but an average threat as a receiver, at best.

This kid is a very good blocker, and has the speed to keep that extra guy out of the box.  

Great pick!

I think you hit the nail on the head that separated him from others for the Colts.  He’s a blocker.  Ballard even mentioned he can do the ugly stuff Pascal did in the offense.  That’s important for the Colts run game.  Again, everything with the offense is built around Taylor running behind Nelson and Kelly.  It all starts there and everything else is added to it.  So to get a guy who can be a play maker at WR and a blocked.  Yeah this was a no brainer for Ballard and company.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Actually,Simms loved his route running and explosion.  Only time will tell. He is our DK Metcalf in terms of physical tools. His three cone was horrible much like DK's and that is what scared a lot of teams away from DK. Kind of a one tick pony, which is fine with me. He will fit in well with this offense. Play action over the top. Plus, he should take the safety out of the box.

Not a huge fan of Simm's evals. but I hope he's right.

He is not DKish. DK was low 4.3s. That's elite and freakish at his size. 4.4s is good for AP's size, but it's not freakish.

DK also did what he did in the SEC, which is a feat on it's own. AP was in the AAC. 

Not saying AP can't be a stud, but I've watched a decent amount of film on him tonight. He'll need time. 

And bigger than that, DK had a play caller that would unleash him deep. Reich has not been that kind of guy scheme or personnel usage wise.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I wouldn’t call him unpolished at all.

I mean, I guess it depends on what skill set you’re referring to, but his hands and body control in traffic, ability to high-point the ball, and the ability to show a wide variety of releases to get off the line of scrimmage and into his route are advanced and the reason why he’ll contribute immediately.

I’m not considered about his agility given his overall athleticism.

Just my take, but I watched him a fair bit last year.

Poor 3 cone, poor shuttle. That's not good from an agility perspective. 

You can do great things in the AAC with just size and speed. The comp is just not high.

You need more in the NFL. Not sure what position he'll play, but I'll take him over Pascal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Not a huge fan of Simm's evals. but I hope he's right.

He is not DKish. DK was low 4.3s. That's elite and freakish at his size. 4.4s is good for AP's size, but it's not freakish.

DK also did what he did in the SEC, which is a feat on it's own. AP was in the AAC. 

Not saying AP can't be a stud, but I've watched a decent amount of film on him tonight. He'll need time. 

And bigger than that, DK had a play caller that would unleash him deep. Reich has not been that kind of guy scheme or personnel usage wise.

I meant in terms of what I think he means to the Colts. Maybe not as fast in  the 40 but ultra explosive and some kind of player I think in terms of what he will be asked to do. 

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I meant in terms of what I think he means to the Colts. Maybe not as fast in  the 40 but ultra explosive and some kind of player I think in terms of what he will be asked to do. 

Don't expect a pineapple to grow well in Iceland. 

I would encourage you to watch DK and AP's tape, and then look at the O scheme they both went to in the NFL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Campbell is 6’1” at most...that’s giant?

Not a giant but everyone is over 6 feet.  So yea, I would consider that a trend in terms of picking pass catchers.

5 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Granson is also 6'2

7 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

PC has decent size for Z or traditional speed slot. He has/had elite speed for his size as well. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not a giant but everyone is over 6 feet.  So yea, I would consider that a trend in terms of picking pass catchers.

Granson is also 6'2

Granson is small for a TE. He's more of a HB/slot combo. Not horrible for what we have used him for (move TE), but he's definitely small for a traditional TE. He's definitely more in the Burton mold. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

PC has decent size for Z or traditional speed slot. He has/had elite speed for his size as well. 

Granson is small for a TE. He's more of a HB/slot combo. Not horrible for what we have used him for (move TE), but he's definitely small for a traditional TE. He's definitely more in the Burton mold. 

Agreed, I was referring to the

pass catchers as a whole. Almost a prerequisite to be very 6 feet.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed, I was referring to the

pass catchers as a whole. Almost a prerequisite to be very 6 feet.

Welp, IMO, we still have not addressed our biggest need, which is a Z type WR. Pierce is not that guy. 

So they are either expecting PC to stay healthy, Dulin or Coutee to feel that spot, or they will draft another WR. Either that, or they are simply happy to go without a Z type WR.... Which means they're even more possession heavy. meh

There are still Zs left (good deep draft). Calvin Austin and Shakir might be targets. We'll see. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

HAD* elite speed...Campbell is cooked and depending on him as anything more than a luxury this year is foolish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

No idea who he is but heck yeah!! 

He was in the Final 4 with Cincinnati last year. How do you not know who he is. This was a good pick. I wasn't even sure he would be there at 53.  We got lucky he was. I wanted either Pickens or Pierce going into today so I got my wish. Great thing about Pierce is, he is 100 percent healthy where Pickens had had that acl injury. One more great thing about today, we didn't take a QB lol.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I am telling you - Ed McCaffrey / Anquan Boldin that is moved around is what I see here.

Daniel Jeremiah said he reminds him of a faster Jordy Nelson.  And the one thing we know Jordy could do was run the go route.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Welp, IMO, we still have not addressed our biggest need, which is a Z type WR. Pierce is not that guy. 

So they are either expecting PC to stay healthy, Dulin or Coutee to feel that spot, or they will draft another WR. Either that, or they are simply happy to go without a Z type WR.... Which means they're even more possession heavy. meh

There are still Zs left (good deep draft). Calvin Austin and Shakir might be targets. We'll see. 

Venturi said Pierce was his top choice at WR for our 42nd pick.  He said he views him as a Z who can take the top of the defense and stretch the field.  Said he projects him as the day 1 starter at Z with Pittman at X and Campbell in the slot.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

HAD* elite speed...Campbell is cooked and depending on him as anything more than a luxury this year is foolish.

He showed plenty of speed when he did play last season.

That's a big "when" though. 

His injuries have been freak, so I won't poo poo him like most. Watching the tape on the player coming down on his heel last season was pretty ugly. It would have killed most player's seasons. But I will say the dude needs to improve his luck. Perhaps he needs to go see a lady in Orleans about some improved juju. I'd donate some silver, some water that has never touched a pipe, and some ashes from a love one (that's a reference from a movie lol). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Venturi said Pierce was his top choice at WR for our 42nd pick.  He said he views him as a Z who can take the top of the defense and stretch the field.  Said he projects him as the day 1 starter at Z with Pittman at X and Campbell in the slot.

Watching his film, and looking at his RAS, Pierce is not a true Z.

A Z (at least to me) is shifty, can float from traditional slot (inside) or blazing outside.

He's good straight line, but not great in terms of agility. And many question his route running, which is 101 for a true Z.

Not saying he can't be a great Z, just saying he's not that guy yet. And the fact he got that criticism in the AAC, is a flag.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Watching his film, and looking at his RAS, Pierce is not a true Z.

A Z (at least to me) is shifty, can float from traditional slot (inside) or blazing outside.

He's good straight line, but not great in terms of agility. And many question his route running, which is 101 for a true Z.

Not saying he can't be a great Z, just saying he's not that guy yet. And the fact he got that criticism in the AAC, is a flag.

Yeah. I don’t see him as shifty either.  Just saying what Rick Venturi said.  He was super excited about him.  Even said he viewed him as better than Drake London (because of the speed).

And I’m Team Ballard but his white whale seems to be the receiver position (Pittman is the outlier). Campbell’s injuries have really held this offense back.  It’s not like Ballard hasn’t used two 2nd round picks on receivers.  Just maybe picked the wrong one and we’ve been playing catch up since.

Now here we go again.  I know they’re different receivers but Pierce has to hit unlike Campbell.  Unfortunately, the last receiver we took from a school in Ohio didn’t pan out.  While the local kid we passed on, McLaurin balled out.  God forbid Bell balls out in Cleveland (he could immediately fill the Landry role) and Pierce struggles.  We could be right back in the same place and Ballard will again be taking heat for the lack of weapons. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah. I don’t see him as shifty either.  Just saying what Rick Venturi said.  He was super excited about him.  Even said he viewed him as better than Drake London (because of the speed).

Someone else posted the Venturi didn't like the pick and wanted Rainmann...... 

Just saying. 

Anyway, I need to dig more. But I just don't see a Z. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Just saying. 

Funny thing is we got Rainmann anyway. Pierce looks good to me. We will see how he pans out.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Funny thing is we got Rainmann anyway. Pierce looks good to me. We will see how he pans out.

I really don't care, just hope they all are studs. 

I'm pretty good in my predictions/evals though.

I just like the last two picks a lot better than the first two. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just saying. 

He was mad that we moved down.  He thought we should’ve picked at 42.  But when Ballard parlayed that pick into Pierce & an extra pick he was absolutely ecstatic.  They even joked how his mood did a complete 180 when Pierce was the pick.  Literally couldn’t contain his praise.  Said Pierce was who he wanted all along.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Nick Cross pick was sweet I have to admit.

Rainmann was super sweet. Can't believe he was there. 

I think Pryor will be good. Better than Fisher. And I think Rainmann will take a year or two, but I love the move. If Pinter can continue to mature at OG or OC, love the OL future. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

He was mad that we moved down.  He thought we should’ve picked at 42.  But when Ballard parlayed that pick into Pierce & an extra pick he was absolutely ecstatic.  They even joked how his mood did a complete 180 when Pierce was the pick.  Literally couldn’t contain his praise.  Said Pierce was who he wanted all along.

I like Venturi. Doesn't mean I agree with his draft logic. IMO, he's better when grading coaching and play calling. There's a reason though he's in the booth. 

Anyway, here's my prediction for year one. 

Pierce - under Reich, he'll end up sparingly used, and when used, on the sideline. 

Woods - under Reich, he'll be a decent step back in blocking and hands, but will make some medium to deep plays. He'll get a lot of reps, flash, but we'll suffer in blocking. 

Rainmann - Will end up our swing guy in year one.

Cross - Will challenge for starting FS by midseason if not sooner. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Superman said:

And I think you might as well forget about it. I love technical receivers, but the guys who have the prototypical size and speed along with the technique go early in the first, and Ballard isn't going to spend early first round picks on WR. 

Maybe you can grab Terry McLaurin, but that's probably a stroke of luck more than anything else. 

I think Skyy Moore is that technique guy, who has really good speed on the clock, but it wasn't all that obvious on tape (I think the world was shocked he ran such a good 40). And then his size is questionable, limiting him to a specific role in an NFL offense. And the Colts value blocking in WRs, especially if a guy is going to play a lot of slot. The Colts chose Pierce with Moore still on the board, says a lot about what they value.

In 2019, we took Banogu with AJ Brown still on the board, then drafted Campbell later in that round. I really liked AJ Brown as a technique guy that year. I liked Campbell also, for his speed and ability after the catch, and he wasn't a slouch as a route runner. Brown was the more refined route runner for sure. (And then DK was still there when Campbell was drafted, and that looks bad in hindsight, even though DK was absolutely not my kind of guy. End of the second round, I could have gotten on board, but he dropped that far because he played with basically no technique. Seattle figured out how to use him. We probably would have wasted him with JB and Rivers. Maybe Wentz would have gotten him going.)

I hope Pierce over Moore isn't something we regret 3 years from now.

Yeah Ballard emphasizes the measurables possibly to a fault at times.  For lots of positions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He showed plenty of speed when he did play last season.

That's a big "when" though. 

His injuries have been freak, so I won't poo poo him like most. Watching the tape on the player coming down on his heel last season was pretty ugly. It would have killed most player's seasons. But I will say the dude needs to improve his luck. Perhaps he needs to go see a lady in Orleans about some improved juju. I'd donate some silver, some water that has never touched a pipe, and some ashes from a love one (that's a reference from a movie lol). 

major league baseball GIF

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was in the Final 4 with Cincinnati last year. How do you not know who he is. This was a good pick. I wasn't even sure he would be there at 53.  We got lucky he was. I wanted either Pickens or Pierce going into today so I got my wish. Great thing about Pierce is, he is 100 percent healthy where Pickens had had that acl injury. One more great thing about today, we didn't take a QB lol.

I didn’t watch them play in the final 4.  Honestly I think I fell asleep and slept through the championship game as well.  
I watched part of the ND/Cincy game at my in laws but don’t remember him. I typically just watch the Vols 3-5 times a year. 

I made it a point to chill out on watching film and other teams play. I even quit fantasy football.  I have a 10yr old that plays every sport she can and a nearly 2yr old boy that keep me busy.  I try to take it as it comes now and enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1

The thing with receivers now is; does he get separation/get open enough that he's someone you can target like 120 times per season? I'm not a scout or anything, but he doesn't really look like that kind of guy. He better be a hell of a deep threat, if not. In all seriousness, at first glance, this looks a bit average. But you never know until they play. 

10 hours ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Hahahahaha Paris will play maybe 3 games again. This fan base, smh.

First of all, you don’t know that. Secondly, why the animosity toward the fan base. You don’t like Ballard (who seems like he knows what he’s doing) and you criticize someone for being optimistic. What is wrong with you?

5 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

First of all, you don’t know that. Secondly, why the animosity toward the fan base. You don’t like Ballard (who seems like he knows what he’s doing) and you criticize someone for being optimistic. What is wrong with you?

Underwear Sydney GIF by Step One

27 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I didn’t watch them play in the final 4.  Honestly I think I fell asleep and slept through the championship game as well.  
I watched part of the ND/Cincy game at my in laws but don’t remember him. I typically just watch the Vols 3-5 times a year. 

I made it a point to chill out on watching film and other teams play. I even quit fantasy football.  I have a 10yr old that plays every sport she can and a nearly 2yr old boy that keep me busy.  I try to take it as it comes now and enjoy the ride. 

I hear you. I don't know much about Woods, the TE we took. I just figured every one knew who Pierce was. He was a dominant WR with Cincinnati. 52 catches, 884 yards, 8 TDs that made the Final 4. He is tall and fast. Has good hands as well. He may need to put on about 10 pounds of muscle but most guys do once they enter the pros. 

• Like 1

Remember, Pierce was taken with pick 53.  He's not Garrett Wilson or Chris Olave.  6 WRs went int eh top 18.

Is Platte messing with the RAS table?, because Skyy Moore's is bad.  

NFL.com shows that Moore ran a 7.13 3 cone and a 4.32 20 yd shuttle.  Pierce ran a 7.13 and 4.28....at 6'3" 215, with elite explosion. 

And while at higher levels, and ages ago, like Pierce,  Julio Jones' weak point was agility.  Of course, Jones was taken with pick #6 back in the day and not pick #53.

Matt Ryan will decide where he's throwing the ball, and might know how to use Pierce the best at this point.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ruf said:

i do see one problem with him that may not fly in the nfl and it looks like on a bunch of his receptions that he pushed off on the db's. 

did anyone else notice that and i think once you go beyond 5 yard from the line you cannot push off.

let me know if those plays were legal

thanks

i did notice that as well. While good at the college level, i think there will be a need to clean that up in the NFL. Wayne should be able to help with that.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hear you. I don't know much about Woods, the TE we took. I just figured every one knew who Pierce was. He was a dominant WR with Cincinnati. 52 catches, 884 yards, 8 TDs that made the Final 4. He is tall and fast. Has good hands as well. He may need to put on about 10 pounds of muscle but most guys do once they enter the pros. 

I’ve read his draft profile and watched a highlight video. Looks really good. 

About college sports, I had quietly boycotted it until the NIL came into play. I thought it was extremely unfair coaches and businesses were making millions off these kids and they couldn’t even accept a Jersey with their name on it. I make an additional $15-20k pressure washing the buses Purdue athletes use to travel. So much money is passed around due to college sports.  I think the NCAA is slowly figuring it out.  I’m sure I’m in the minority thinking these kids deserve the opportunity to try and make some money. For most it’s the best chance for them to jumpstart their life until their life after sports takes off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’ve read his draft profile and watched a highlight video. Looks really good. 

About college sports, I had quietly boycotted it until the NIL came into play. I thought it was extremely unfair coaches and businesses were making millions off these kids and they couldn’t even accept a Jersey with their name on it. I make an additional $15-20k pressure washing the buses Purdue athletes use to travel. So much money is passed around due to college sports.  I think the NCAA is slowly figuring it out.  I’m sure I’m in the minority thinking these kids deserve the opportunity to try and make some money. For most it’s the best chance for them to jumpstart their life until their life after sports takes off. 

I must disagree. These “kids” are getting upwards of 200-300 grand or more in education for free and getting set up to make MILLIONS over their lives.  They get free room and board, free tuition, free books, free food, and often free clothes. To play a game. 

I don’t think they should be paid nor do I think think they should be allowed to do endorsements and sponsors and such. 

but we should probably continue this discussion elsewhere . My apologies for further de-railing this thread 

• Like 1