Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select WR Alec Pierce

tvturner

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Have any of you here that are complaining done what Ballard asked and watched the Notre Dame game with Pierce going against a top 5 defense?

The Packers bloggers broke down several clips from that game

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/06/packers-film-room-why-cincinnati-wr-alec-pierce-is-great-fit-in-2022-nfl-draft/

One game does not a player make. Go look at his entire body of work, it's lackluster. Ballard falling in love with this guy after one game is a joke. His whole film is 80% contested catches. For whatever reason he cannot separate consistently. If he can't consistently in college, do you actually think he can in the NFL where the talent level is 10x better? Winning jump balls is nice but on 80% of opportunities? Come on, what are you all trying to convince yourself into?

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

The angst is hilarious. Try going back to his game film and picture a QB getting him the ball right after his break....in stride. His highlight film will look completely different. Of course there is going to be contested balls if the QB has to wait for you to look at him before he releases.

I know but now you know why I created the Bell-ache Draft thread lmao . We pretty much nailed every need we had with players that have good-great potential and a handful still Belly-ache Homer Simpson Doctor GIF

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

One game does not a player make. Go look at his entire body of work, it's lackluster. Ballard falling in love with this guy after one game is a joke. His whole film is 80% contested catches. For whatever reason he cannot separate consistently. If he can't consistently in college, do you actually think he can in the NFL where the talent level is 10x better? Winning jump balls is nice but on 80% of opportunities? Come on, what are you all trying to convince yourself into?

So besides the suggestion to trade up to get Watson, staying put who would you have taken?

3 minutes ago, Nate! said:

May have said this to you yesterday. Obvious only way to have traded up would’ve been giving a first from 2023.  Colts would’ve been killed for doing that.  That would’ve been desperation

That 2023 1st that would've most likely been a backend pick from 20-32 range, so would giving up that for a player that most believe Watson will become worth it? H*** YES!!! What you are stating makes zero sense. This Colts team is not going to be a bottom feeder where a top 10 pick next year would be lost. Come on

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Sir do you really believe Ballard and their entire scouting staff drafted this player on the basis of one game?  Are you selling this to us?  You haven't even taken the time to look at the clip I posted much less gone back and looked at his entire career.  On the flip side Im quite sure the Colts have looked at pretty much every game the guy played. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Sir do you really believe Ballard and their entire scouting staff drafted this player on the basis of one game?  Are you selling this to us?  You haven't even taken the time to look at the clip I posted much less gone back and looked at his entire career.  

Were you or were you not the one that just posted the link with clips from the ND game only based on fact that Ballard brought this game up during his evaluation of Pierce? I believe you did, so that is why I responded as I did, because you posted the link to one game. I don't care if they liked more of his game, his game is not what this team needed/still needs. This team needs ELEVATED game. We have enough average gamers. 

From CBS..

53. Colts: Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati

Grade: C+

Prototypical Colts pick. They love the size/athleticism specimens, and Pierce rocked his combine workout. Big, tall, explosive. Routes are a little rounded. Change-of-direction a bit stiff. Plays decently big downfield. Minimal YAC capabilities.

Lol at the bolded. No, he plays magnificently large downfield. 

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

What exactly are you asking me in reference to? 

You said you know that Watson was their guy. How do you know this? Or is it speculation?

and I’m pretty clearly asking who you would have taken at 53 or even 42 for that matter, limited to only available players at that time

Just now, Four2itus said:

From CBS..

Prototypical Colts pick. They love the size/athleticism specimens, and Pierce rocked his combine workout. Big, tall, explosive. Routes are a little rounded. Change-of-direction a bit stiff. Plays decently big downfield. Minimal YAC capabilities.

I will say this, I saw on a TON of his routes, he had to slow up or even stop for Ridder to get him the ball. So he adjusts very well when the ball is in the air. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So besides the suggestion to trade up to get Watson, staying put who would you have taken?

At that point, if I would've stayed put, I would've taken the LB Dean as BPA. I only thought Pickens and Watson had the ceilings we really needed out of all WR's left. They were both gone. That's why I keep saying Ballard got took by not being aggressive on those two guys. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I will say this, I saw on a TON of his routes, he had to slow up or even stop for Ridder to get him the ball. So he adjusts very well when the ball is in the air. 

Thats what I have been saying! Imagine him turning at the top of his route just as the ball arrives. One stiff arm and he's got another 10 yards in two steps. 

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Were you or were you not the one that just posted the link with clips from the ND game only based on fact that Ballard brought this game up during his evaluation of Pierce? I believe you did, so that is why I responded as I did, because you posted the link to one game. I don't care if they liked more of his game, his game is not what this team needed/still needs. This team needs ELEVATED game. We have enough average gamers. 

So several clips of him ELEVATING his game against a top 5 defense isn't enough ELEVATION for you?  And of course he's had more production than that but you're too butt hurt and set on expressing your feelings to see that.  Your elevation claim is nonsense.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:10 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Given our situation, our needs, i have zero doubt that Irsay & Ballard haven't given strong and proper consideration to the great value in a 5-6 wins next season to draft in the top ten. Irsay has stated publicly in the past to his disdain at being an 8-8 type franchise.

But then, from out of nowhere, they get Mayfield, sign Armstead, B Wagner, Calais C, P Peterson, and we are what?  ALLLLLLLL- INNNNNN!   HAHAHA!

Enjoy your own fantasy Colts Fans!  

24 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I honestly am surprised that you really don't get it here. The Colts were took. Watson WAS their guy and the Packers hoodwinked them all because Ballard didn't make a play and move into backend of round one or at least top of round 2 and it really cost them. For those who keep comparing Pierce to Jordy and Kupp, entirely off. Watson is that comparison and it's why the Packers went and got him.

This team needed a true WR1 or a player that had that ceiling and the only two that had that ceiling remaining on day 2 was Watson and Pickens and the Colts got neither so they are stuck with a career low-end WR2 or top WR3 at best. It's pathetic and you should stop overlooking this and making excuses for this blatant protocol all because Ballard wont be aggressive and or know how to read the room

Thought I would chime in here.  Colts just drafted a guy who could potentially be a #1in Pitman. What the colts did was give him some competition. Should make him a better player. This pick to me signals that they believe Hines is going to have a big role this coming season. He will be wide open on every drop back with Michael, Alec and Taylor all demanding attention. Hell throw in Strachan as someone who could have a coming out party in his second season. WR was not huge need but they really needed someone to push Michael.  Another positive with Alec is he will make our special teams elite with his speed and change of direction

in his game. All I'm all  happy today. Should be a great season.

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

From CBS..

Sounds right. "C+" for Catastrophic + Terrible, Underwhelming, Disappointing, and Mediocre :funny:

5 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

how's his route running? that's what i think is most important in a WR. cant catch a ball if you don't get open. all these great WR in the league all have great route running ability and that can get open.

I agree to a point. It's also what the player can do within his catch radius if it is contested. Hines Ward became a HOF player by winning most every battle within his catch radius. 

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

From CBS..

Yeah I listen to CBS Talk radio a lot and one of the host had this pick as a B, that is where I grade it. I gave it a B. The talk show host I listened too never said he a problem with separation. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

So several clips of him ELEVATING his game against a top 5 defense isn't enough ELEVATION for you?  And of course he's had more production than that but you're too butt hurt and set on expressing your feelings to see that.  Your elevation claim is nonsense.

Dude, he is a JAG. I don't care of you refuse to see it. He will be a fine player I'm sure but he does not have the make-up to ever become truly elite. The Colts need Elite. Pierce will play hard, practice well, who cares. He does not have the ceiling to become elite. Pickens and Watson have those traits at least. Does it mean Watson and Pickens will become Elite? No, however they were the top two out of those three and we got the latter. That is a failure. 

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

At that point, if I would've stayed put, I would've taken the LB Dean as BPA. I only thought Pickens and Watson had the ceilings we really needed out of all WR's left. They were both gone. That's why I keep saying Ballard got took by not being aggressive on those two guys. 

But aggressive at what cost?

and to be honest, while this draft class is deep in terms of WR2 &WR3 prospects, even at number 1 overall, there’s not a prospect in this class that just stands out to be a super star or even a WR1. Just my opinion . Just as much as yours is. 

that said, I think Pierce will be fine with a veteran like Ryan and Reggie Wayne teaching him. A super star? Probably not, but we need someone besides Pittman to carry the load. Which on the surface, I think Pierce can. I don’t think he’s gonna be a WR1 and I don’t think that was or is their intent here

4 minutes ago, Blindside said:

Thought I would chime in here.  Colts just drafted a guy who could potentially be a #1in Pitman. What the colts did was give him some competition. Should make him a better player. This pick to me signals that they believe Hines is going to have a big role this coming season. He will be wide open on every drop back with Michael, Alec and Taylor all demanding attention. Hell throw in Strachan as someone who could have a coming out party in his second season. WR was not huge need but they really needed someone to push Michael.  Another positive with Alec is he will make our special teams elite with his speed and twitch in his game. All I'm all  happy today. Should be a great season.

You hit the nail on the head with this comment! I have also been feeling like the transition is coming with Hines to the slot this year. I think he has all of the tools to breakout more consistently in that role. 

That being said, I am completely good with Alec coming into the fold to complement Pit’s game. I don’t think he has superstar potential, but I think he can be above average and consistent for us. Not only that, but I am really fascinated to see if we can develop Woods into an elite TE. Dude has freakish measurables, and his routes look super smooth. I think he could be a straight up gem for us. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I listen to CBS Talk radio a lot and one of the host had this pick as a B, that is where I grade it. I gave it a B. The talk show host I listened too never said he a problem with separation. 

Watch his tape. If the defender is consistently within a 2 yard or less radius of his body while attempting to catch the ball, he has a problem. It's not about him making the catches, it's he is always in that position to have to make those catches. Remember, these are college corners, not NFL corners. 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Dude, he is a JAG. I don't care of you refuse to see it. He will be a fine player I'm sure but he does not have the make-up to ever become truly elite. The Colts need Elite. Pierce will play hard, practice well, who cares. He does not have the ceiling to become elite. Pickens and Watson have those traits at least. Does it mean Watson and Pickens will become Elite? No, however they were the top two out of those three and we got the latter. That is a failure. 

And again, I asked you who at 42 would have been “elite” hell, who at number 1 would have been “elite”? And when asked, you called for a LB. you’re talking just to talk at this point. We get it, we’ve known it, you don’t like the FO or the Colts. At this point, you’re here to simply stir the pot, which is fine. But quit talking in absolutes. You have the same information we all do, none of us can say beyond a doubt that Pierce (or any of these guys in the draft) will be a bust or a boom. It’s all speculation and far too early to call this draft a failure. 

Watch his tape. If the defender is consistently within a 2 yard or less radius of his body while attempting to catch the ball, he has a problem. It's not about him making the catches, it's he is always in that position to have to make those catches. Remember, these are college corners, not NFL corners. 

And how many of those routes did Pierce have to slow down or stop for ridder to get him the ball? ALOT. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But aggressive at what cost?

and to be honest, while this draft class is deep in terms of WR2 &WR3 prospects, even at number 1 overall, there’s not a prospect in this class that just stands out to be a super star or even a WR1. Just my opinion . Just as much as yours is. 

that said, I think Pierce will be fine with a veteran like Ryan and Reggie Wayne teaching him. A super star? Probably not, but we need someone besides Pittman to carry the load. Which on the surface, I think Pierce can. I don’t think he’s gonna be a WR1 and I don’t think that was or is their intent here

I agree with you and that has been my knock on this organization since Ballard arrived. They don't value the wideout, even before this year where wideouts are getting all this dough.

I mean seriously, do you know how embarrassing it is as a fan to hear Irsay get on the phone with this kid and reference Marvin and Reggie and the HOF and what the Colts once had in their WRs when pumping up this kids' confidence knowing darn well this kid will never come close, and knowing that Irsay feels the same way as a lot of us do. Thie team needs an elite WR and Ballard just isn't the guy to get it done at this point. 

I agree with you and that has been my knock on this organization since Ballard arrived. They don't value the wideout, even before this year where wideouts are getting all this dough.

I mean seriously, do you know how embarrassing it is as a fan to hear Irsay get on the phone with this kid and reference Marvin and Reggie and the HOF and what the Colts once had in their WRs when pumping up this kids' confidence knowing darn well this kid will never come close, and knowing that Irsay feels the same way as a lot of us do. Thie team needs an elite WR and Ballard just isn't the guy to get it done at this point. 

Well I guess we shall see won’t we. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And again, I asked you who at 42 would have been “elite” hell, who at number 1 would have been “elite”? And when asked, you called for a LB. you’re talking just to talk at this point. We get it, we’ve known it, you don’t like the FO or the Colts. At this point, you’re here to simply stir the pot, which is fine. But quit talking in absolutes. You have the same information we all do, none of us can say beyond a doubt that Pierce (or any of these guys in the draft) will be a bust or a boom. It’s all speculation and far too early to call this draft a failure. 

Sorry, I honestly believe the Lions got the best in Williams who will be the best, Wilson second in the class with Watson tied with Pickens for third but only if Pickens can keep his head straight. Wilson will be pretty good, but I think Williams will be better

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And how many of those routes did Pierce have to slow down or stop for ridder to get him the ball? ALOT. 

I agree with you. I think QB play had a lot to do with the separation visible on tape. 

That being said, every draft pick is an unknown as you have mentioned. Heck, Cooper Kupp had a 6.20 prospect grade and was tagged with “will eventually be an average starter.” 

Alec could go on to be elite, or he could pan out below average. He has the tools to get it done. Not to mention, I don’t think his acclimation to NFL caliber corners will be very steep. I mean the guy legit went against Sauce everyday in practice. He could turn out to be more pro ready that some on here would like to believe. Not to mention, I have complete confidence that if anyone can clean up his route running, it will be Reggie! 

Personally, I am VERY excited about this off season! 

12 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I have actually watched him live and he looks good to me. I think you are nitpicking his game, not trying to debatable or anything but it seems like you are just trying to find stuff because you don't like the pick. I wanted either him or Pickens knowing both would be there at 42, Pickens went at 52 so we took Pierce at 53. 

18 minutes ago, Blindside said:

Thought I would chime in here.  Colts just drafted a guy who could potentially be a #1in Pitman. What the colts did was give him some competition. Should make him a better player. This pick to me signals that they believe Hines is going to have a big role this coming season. He will be wide open on every drop back with Michael, Alec and Taylor all demanding attention. Hell throw in Strachan as someone who could have a coming out party in his second season. WR was not huge need but they really needed someone to push Michael.  Another positive with Alec is he will make our special teams elite with his speed and change of direction

in his game. All I'm all  happy today. Should be a great season.

The Colts killed TY's career by never giving him a true WR1 and forcing him to be the Colts WR1. By adding Pierce and using your words in pushing Pittman to be a WR1 will kill his career as well. Pittman is not a WR1. Never will be. It's not what his make-up is. He is a Pro typical possession receiver who occasionally can beat you on the backend. If you think otherwise, then you are just wishful thinking. Now you have virtually two of the same player. Two guys who need a true WR1 to unlock their true potential. Higgins in Cincy would've never become the monster he was last year without chase on the field. Fact. Pittman needed a chase or at least a player that had the ceiling to get closer to that. Pierce is not that guy

Archived