Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select WR Alec Pierce


tvturner
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Whether or not it is a good take or a bad take, I think we keep 6 WR's:

1. Pittman

2. Pierce

3. Dulin

4. Campbell

5. Patmon

6. I think we re-sign TY, I could be wrong but we will see. Insurance for Campbell or if Dulin and Patmon do struggle at times. Hopefully TY will take something like 5 Mill for 1 year if it has incentives to make more money. As in a certain amount of total yards gained or catches for example to make an extra Mill. I look for Hines to catch 60 passes or so which will be critical. TY seems like he wants to retire a Colt and he only needs like 400 yards to get to 10,000 yards all-time.

 

This will not make Strachan fans happy but I could see this WR room happening. 

I still think it will be Strachan or Patmon. Then Coutee or TY for that 5th and 6th spot. Just because of body types and skill sets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think TY will be back, it is just a prediction :thmup:

 

It's going to be interesting the longer TY stays out there as a FA. 

I'd think Ballard would make a decision one way or another before training camp starts regardless. 

TY really wouldn't need a lot of time in the O scheme, but would need time with Ryan for chemistry. 

 

Overall though, I think it's going to be a very tough decision. I'd love TY to be able to come back, be productive, and hit the 10K mark as a Colt. But I also think we have promising group of guys, and I like the though of a pretty equitable rotation of Pitt, Campbell, Dulin, and Pierce. Of course that would put a lot of confidence in 3 of the 4 who are all unproven quantities. 

 

I'm guessing Ballard will be "cut-down-time" shopping late August (I think the 85-53 cut is due 8/30). 

While I think he'll look at all positions, I think he'll be interested in DB and pass catchers most. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will see?? Just because you and many others don't want him back doesn't mean he won't be. By the way Matt Ryan is the best QB we have had since Andrew Luck in 2018. Rivers was good but was on his last leg. Ryan could make TY look good.

I just think he is old and they have guys in camp who look good. I know it is camp but somw young guys looking good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm shocked to see so many Colts fans across social media that are actually upset with the Colts trading back to 53, added an additional third round pick which they were able to use to land Bernhard Raimann with the pick they received from Minnesota, only moments after selecting TE Jelani Woods. The Colts wanted Alec Pierce from the start and were not only able to draft him at 53, but in the process were able to land a guy who they believe could very well be their LT for the next decade. The more tape I watch on Alec Pierce the more I fall in love with the pick. I actually wanted the Colts to draft Alec Pierce weeks before the NFL Draft and still can't believe they were able to land a guy who could potentially be their #2 WR for the long haul while constantly putting up WR 1 numbers for a majority of his career.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Upon watching more of him, I'm gonna double down on what I said sorta ignorantly before...

 

The two specific traits I thought we needed injected into our WR room was run-after-catch ability and route running; two areas where Alec is lacking big time. I sure hope we can teach him to drop his hips and run crisp routes. It seems like he only did one thing well and that was run a 9 route if the CB fell for his move off the line (which was predictable). Do those size/body control guys ever really work out? Not consistently.

 

Again, happy we got a guy, just being critical. Maybe overly... I don't think there was really a COMPLETE guy where we were picking. Also acknowledge that our staff has a better idea than I of which archetypes we need. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, I wonder how much we see Pitt in the slot. I know he played there at times last year, but can't remember how much. For a guy his size, he can move after the catch. I wonder if that's the plan.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

Also, I wonder how much we see Pitt in the slot. I know he played there at times last year, but can't remember how much. For a guy his size, he can move after the catch. I wonder if that's the plan.

Pitt's slot snaps decreased from about 18% in 2020 to about 12% last season. 

 

The decrease was likely most of a product of lack of other outside options (TY and PC hurt), and unwillingness to use some of the younger guys.

 

I'd guess that number creeps back up this season to 20ish%, perhaps even more if PC stays healthy and Pierce comes on. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

Upon watching more of him, I'm gonna double down on what I said sorta ignorantly before...

 

The two specific traits I thought we needed injected into our WR room was run-after-catch ability and route running; two areas where Alec is lacking big time. I sure hope we can teach him to drop his hips and run crisp routes. It seems like he only did one thing well and that was run a 9 route if the CB fell for his move off the line (which was predictable). Do those size/body control guys ever really work out? Not consistently.

 

Again, happy we got a guy, just being critical. Maybe overly... I don't think there was really a COMPLETE guy where we were picking. Also acknowledge that our staff has a better idea than I of which archetypes we need. 

Yup, he has a lot of work to do route wise. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, he has a lot of work to do route wise. 

 

After watching highlights of him, I find his route running and run after catch ability to be great, as is his catch ability.

 

IMO he gets unfairly downgraded due to being "deceptively fast", if you get the inference. WHen his 40 and 3-cone drill time is faster than Skyy Moore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Whether or not it is a good take or a bad take, I think we keep 6 WR's:

1. Pittman

2. Pierce

3. Dulin

4. Campbell

5. Patmon

6. I think we re-sign TY, I could be wrong but we will see. Insurance for Campbell or if Dulin and Patmon do struggle at times. Hopefully TY will take something like 5 Mill for 1 year if it has incentives to make more money. As in a certain amount of total yards gained or catches for example to make an extra Mill. I look for Hines to catch 60 passes or so which will be critical. TY seems like he wants to retire a Colt and he only needs like 400 yards to get to 10,000 yards all-time.

 

This will not make Strachan fans happy but I could see this WR room happening. 

That looks right to me.  1,2,4 are locks.  I think 3 is a near lock.   I hope TY is back. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

Also, I wonder how much we see Pitt in the slot. I know he played there at times last year, but can't remember how much. For a guy his size, he can move after the catch. I wonder if that's the plan.

He played a lot there with rivers. With all those crossers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

After watching highlights of him, I find his route running and run after catch ability to be great, as is his catch ability.

 

IMO he gets unfairly downgraded due to being "deceptively fast", if you get the inference. WHen his 40 and 3-cone drill time is faster than Skyy Moore.

I watched all the highlights, and some full games. 

 

His route tree and use were very limited. His highlights are almost completely boundary 9s.

As stated by others, he needs to work on his breaks, especially the hips. He's overly upright.

His release needs work and was impacted a lot by decent press corners. He's got decent hand violence but needs to work on release footwork. He could get away with this a lot in college, but won't be able to at the NFL level. 

 

I'm not downgrading him at all for being "deceptively fast". IMO, he's fast period. But it's mostly straight line fast, and his total route pace needs work. The agility scores are good, so it gives me hope that with work on hips and footwork, his breaks will get less upright, less rounded, and less telegraphed. 

 

Skyy Moore's route tree and polish are much more advanced that AP's. His footwork and hips are better, his release is better, and his pace through breaks and through routes in general are just plain better. Moore won't run a 9 near as good as AP, but he'll be able to run every route in the book inside or out. 

 

To put it simply, speed and cone agility are great places to start. But it's not everything. Slower guys (like Kupp and Renfrow) can be elite in their route running and be much more productive than fast guys. AP has a great set of raw tools to draw from, so I expect him to be good. He's a smart kid that will work hard. It's just likely to take some hard work. And I think he'll bust his ace working hard and getting good. Not being negative about the kid. Just being realistic about his timeline and current stage of development. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He played a lot there with rivers. With all those crossers.

 

I love him on those crossers. Once his stride opens up, he's up field! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

Upon watching more of him, I'm gonna double down on what I said sorta ignorantly before...

 

The two specific traits I thought we needed injected into our WR room was run-after-catch ability and route running; two areas where Alec is lacking big time.

 

IMHO, 

 

I think you will see some much better YAC with an accurate passer vs what he had last year.

 

Desmond Ridder would throw very few balls that would hit a player in stride. They had to reach back for the ball in many cases, which kills YAC

 

We are getting an accurate passer that can actually hit a player in stride

 

MUCH better than Ridder and much better than Wentz

 

Accurate passing and even a bit of separation equals YAC (Its new Math)  AP+SEP=YAC

 

 

I think we will be fine

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2022 at 11:12 PM, Superman said:

 

Chase Claypool is the best comparison, IMO. 

 

There is definitely a "thing" with comparing white receivers -- inside or out -- to other white receivers. There's also some coded language, and once a person notices it, it's pretty hard to miss moving forward. "Hard working," "deceptive speed," "quicker than fast," etc. I think a lot of it is ignorance. I don't know that it hurts white receivers, but it's definitely a thing, and I now roll my eyes at it.

 

(There's a similar "thing" with black QBs. "Freak athlete," "not great in the pocket," "a runner learning to be a QB," etc. While white QBs are more "natural passers," "game managers," etc. I don't think it's intentional, but maybe it influences the general perception of a black QB in negative ways. But this is not necessarily intentional. Stephen A Smith called Dwayne Haskins (RIP :( ) a "running QB," when he had barely over 100 yards rushing his last year in college, and was NOT a running QB at all. I think he racially profiled Haskins, unintentionally, and it was an obvious example of what sometimes happens when describing and comparing prospect players. It's weird.)

 

And while it doesn't matter, I'll tell you this. I watched a lot of Desmond Ridder, and Alec Pierce stood out to me on the tape, so I watched some of Pierce. But I couldn't tell for sure at first, and had to stop the video and figure out his ethnicity. Not that it mattered, but I wanted to know. And I think part of that is him being a tall, outside, downfield receiver, who happens to be white. Kind of an outlier.

 

Same thing with Matt Corral, just wanted to know for sure. (Here's a pick of him and his family: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXSXU20DkC2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link ) 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2022 at 12:12 AM, Dark Superman said:

I'm shocked to see so many Colts fans across social media that are actually upset with the Colts trading back to 53, added an additional third round pick which they were able to use to land Bernhard Raimann with the pick they received from Minnesota, only moments after selecting TE Jelani Woods. The Colts wanted Alec Pierce from the start and were not only able to draft him at 53, but in the process were able to land a guy who they believe could very well be their LT for the next decade. The more tape I watch on Alec Pierce the more I fall in love with the pick. I actually wanted the Colts to draft Alec Pierce weeks before the NFL Draft and still can't believe they were able to land a guy who could potentially be their #2 WR for the long haul while constantly putting up WR 1 numbers for a majority of his career.

 

 

 

  CB hit a Grand Slam with his 1st 4 picks.
  And it is a major miracle we have Ryan to lead our Offense.
   Always tough in the NFL, we have a good shot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...