Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select WR Alec Pierce

tvturner

39 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

If that was a reference to my post, then it's not all plausible.

I didn't even bring up Skyy Moore or say they should have drafted him. A couple other posters made a comp, so I made my own comp.

But apparently to some people here, a well-reasoned argument (with statistical analysis) equates to nothing more than me complaining that they didn't pick the guy I wanted.

Not surprising though, as I have come to expect that level of condescension and narrow-mindedness from some here.

As for who I did want, Robinson was one, especially having been able to watch all of his games at UK. But I always figured they might seem him as similar to Hines, who they have said they want to get more involved. So wasn't sure if he was a fit.

I can’t speak for Four2itus. My reply to his comment was not in reference to you, individually, no. I don’t even have a huge beef with your argument. My only objection was specifically to you saying Moore definitely has more upside than Pierce. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Come on NCF. Of course I can say Campbell.

He has been hurt, but he's also played a number of NFL games, right? In those games, what has there been to suggest that they got it right with that pick? Not a whole lot.

But even if he's not a hit or a miss, you have Cain, Fountain, Strachan, Patmon and Pittman. From that list, you have one WR who has produced more than 100 yards in the NFL. 

But the skepticism I am talking about is in reference to is the annual offseason hype for Colts WRs, which has been going on since the days of Duron Carter.

Again….  Getting hurt is NOT part of the scouting process which is what you referred to.   When he’s played he’s flashed.  First game of the 2020 season, 6 catches, I think 75 yards.   Second game, knee injury.  So he’s barely played at all.  

I see Fountain and Cain and that’s it.   Ballard has said from the jump that Patmon and Strachan were long term projects.   They have physical skills you can’t teach.  They came to the NFL raw and unrefined.  They needed time and opportunity, 

Your frustration would seem more appropriate at fans who got overly excited for no apparent reason.  The team has always preached patience.   

But look at what the Colts DIDN’T do this off-season.   We didn’t sign a single name free agent WR this off-season, not even after we acquired Matt Ryan.   No one.   And while many media outlets predicted the Colts would draft TWO wide receivers, we only took one.   And with FA guys like Landry and Hilton and Jones and others still out there, we signed NONE of them so far.   What does that tell you?  

That at the least, we’re giving our kids a chance in May and June.  And if they perform, it’s a huge vote of confidence.   And remember, all this with Ryan who has a ticking clock we don’t want to waste.   

The staff wants to see these kids.   So far, they’re showing a great deal of faith in them.  I see no reason why we shouldn’t have faith in the kids at this point as well.  I believe until the kids give me a reason not to. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But look at what the Colts DIDN’T do this off-season.   We didn’t sign a single name free agent WR this off-season, not even after we acquired Matt Ryan.   No one.   And while many media outlets predicted the Colts would draft TWO wide receivers, we only took one.   And with FA guys like Landry and Hilton and Jones and others still out there, we signed NONE of them so far.   What does that tell you?  

That at the least, we’re giving our kids a chance in May and June.  And if they perform, it’s a huge vote of confidence.   And remember, all this with Ryan who has a ticking clock we don’t want to waste.   

The staff wants to see these kids.   So far, they’re showing a great deal of faith in them.  I see no reason why we shouldn’t have faith in the kids at this point as well.  I believe until the kids give me a reason not to. 

Just jumping in on this point. I'm tired of these kids, personally. 

Campbell can't be relied on, anything he might give us is a bonus. Anyone drafted on Day 3, or signed as a UDFA, has a chance to win a roster spot, but if they aren't really good in the offseason/preseason, they shouldn't expect to be here. So to me, there are two guys that should count on having a roster spot come Week 1 -- Pittman, and Pierce, and everyone else should be on notice.

This is my major disagreement with what the staff did. We should have added another vet WR, IMO. We have one guy we can reasonably count on, Pittman, and he's not a superstar player, so he should have been supplemented anyways. Everyone else is a huge question mark, or entirely unproven, and I think that's a mistake. 

Now I think the WR market quickly got away from them, and I don't mind passing on MVS for $10m/year. But there are several 2nd/3rd tier money guys that would have fit, and I certainly would have been okay with Jarvis Landry for $3m (plus incentives). I'm sure there are other factors to be considered. They might intend to include the TEs/RBs more in the passing game, for example.

But I think we're undermanned at WR, as it sits right now, and unless one of our late round guys suddenly looks like a good WR3/4, or Parris Campbell stays healthy -- and both are longshots, realistically speaking -- it's easily the thinnest spot on the roster.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Campbell can't be relied on, anything he might give us is a bonus. Anyone drafted on Day 3, or signed as a UDFA, has a chance to win a roster spot, but if they aren't really good in the offseason/preseason, they shouldn't expect to be here. So to me, there are two guys that should count on having a roster spot come Week 1 -- Pittman, and Pierce, and everyone else should be on notice.

This is my major disagreement with what the staff did. We should have added another vet WR, IMO. We have one guy we can reasonably count on, Pittman, and he's not a superstar player, so he should have been supplemented anyways. Everyone else is a huge question mark, or entirely unproven, and I think that's a mistake. 

Now I think the WR market quickly got away from them, and I don't mind passing on MVS for $10m/year. But there are several 2nd/3rd tier money guys that would have fit, and I certainly would have been okay with Jarvis Landry for $3m (plus incentives). I'm sure there are other factors to be considered. They might intend to include the TEs/RBs more in the passing game, for example.

But I think we're undermanned at WR, as it sits right now, and unless one of our late round guys suddenly looks like a good WR3/4, or Parris Campbell stays healthy -- and both are longshots, realistically speaking -- it's easily the thinnest spot on the roster.

I think we will sign one more vet. Whether TY wants to come back here or it is someone else we will see. The biggest issue is Campbell gets injured them say Pittman gets injured. We are toast.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think we will sign one more vet. Whether TY wants to come back here or it is someone else we will see. The biggest issue is Campbell gets injured them say Pittman gets injured. We are toast.

TY it’s obviously a money thing. He thinks he’s worth more than anyone is offering. Now with Landry gone, I think his market is set and about dried up. TY is holding out for a training camp injury.

Just now, csmopar said:

TY it’s obviously a money thing. He thinks he’s worth more than anyone is offering. Now with Landry gone, I think his market is set and about dried up. TY is holding out for a training camp injury.

By now he knows his market. Maybe he doesn’t want to do OTA LOL.  Even if there is a TC injury I don’t think that makes his potential pay day any more then it would be now. It’s just weird. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

All I can say is to repeat what Ballard said prior to the draft talking about the receivers.   “Everyone is so afraid of the unknown.”   And then added, he’s not.    

And if I may add….  In the words of @Superman when other posters have, in the past, questioned some of the curious decisions this staff have made….  And that is this….   This is what the coaches and front office guys do for a living.  It’s their livelihood.  Get it wrong, and they can get fired and have to move the family.   And, as I noted,  they’re standing pat for now.   I think that speaks volumes. 

Who knows?   Maybe after spring camp, we sign a vet and he becomes WR3 or 4 in mid-June?   You’re tired of Campbell?  If he gets hurt again, maybe Ashton Dulin steps in?   Or Coutee?   Or maybe Galloway?   Or maybe it’s time for Hilton or Jones.   I’m fine waiting and seeing what happens.  

As for “being on notice”….  Can’t imagine that they’re not. 

Is it a misread by me, or are you not terribly impressed by our off-season?   I know you’re not posting much, but I don’t get a sense that you’re a happy Colts fan?   Hope I’m wrong. 

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again….  Getting hurt is NOT part of the scouting process which is what you referred to.   When he’s played he’s flashed.  First game of the 2020 season, 6 catches, I think 75 yards.   Second game, knee injury.  So he’s barely played at all.  

I see Fountain and Cain and that’s it.   Ballard has said from the jump that Patmon and Strachan were long term projects.   They have physical skills you can’t teach.  They came to the NFL raw and unrefined.  They needed time and opportunity, 

Your frustration would seem more appropriate at fans who got overly excited for no apparent reason.  The team has always preached patience.   

ballard has not been good with picking wide receivers, hard to have hopes with ballards poor draft record on receivers

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All I can say is to repeat what Ballard said prior to the draft talking about the receivers.   “Everyone is so afraid of the unknown.”   And then added, he’s not.    

And if I may add….  In the words of @Superman when other posters have, in the past, questioned some of the curious decisions this staff have made….  And that is this….   This is what the coaches and front office guys do for a living.  It’s their livelihood.  Get it wrong, and they can get fired and have to move the family.   And, as I noted,  they’re standing pat for now.   I think that speaks volumes. 

Who knows?   Maybe after spring camp, we sign a vet and he becomes WR3 or 4 in mid-June?   You’re tired of Campbell?  If he gets hurt again, maybe Ashton Dulin steps in?   Or Coutee?   Or maybe Galloway?   Or maybe it’s time for Hilton or Jones.   I’m fine waiting and seeing what happens.  

As for “being on notice”….  Can’t imagine that they’re not. 

Is it a misread by me, or are you not terribly impressed by our off-season?   I know you’re not posting much, but I don’t get a sense that you’re a happy Colts fan?   Hope I’m wrong. 

Absolutely. I'm stating my opinion, not lambasting the staff. I think we should have done more at WR, they're okay relying on the young guys, which is risky business. (They also might add a veteran still, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.) I hope to be proven wrong on this.

As for the offseason in general, I thought we needed a new DC. I'm not thrilled with who they went with. I thought we needed help at pass rush, we added Ngakoue, I'd have liked another player at edge, but I think we've upgraded. Especially if the young guys step up. I thought we needed help at corner, we signed Gilmore, and added other pieces in the secondary. Probably not counting on Blackmon, anything from him is a bonus.

And on offense, I think the OL is okay, not great. Raimann can help if he's ready to play right away, but I figure he's either at RG or LT, and that's probably not great right away, at either spot. Depth is a question mark. Matt Ryan is an upgrade, and for a couple weeks I assumed we'd have a weak retread like Mariota... so I'm good with what we did there. I like Pierce and Woods. We're set at RB. It's really just lack of proven WRs that I have a problem with on this side of the ball. 

Overall, I think the AFC is going to be a gauntlet, and I think the greatness we saw in the playoffs last year makes it clear that we are not quite ready to compete at that level. If we take a big jump this year, great, but I think we're still a step behind Buffalo, KC, probably behind the Bengals, Chargers, Raiders, and we can talk about the Titans, Browns and Ravens also. So I'm not over the moon about where we are right now, but I don't have a problem with the way the offseason has gone. Except at WR.

3 hours ago, C_Lew said:

I can’t speak for Four2itus. My reply to his comment was not in reference to you, individually, no. I don’t even have a huge beef with your argument. My only objection was specifically to you saying Moore definitely has more upside than Pierce. 

It’s all good. His post clearly was directed, so I was responding to it. 

The choices are more, less or even upside. I don’t think it’s that crazy to suggest that one player, based on what we know, has more upside…especially when they went B2B in the draft. My only conviction is based on the data we have. I admit it’s not 100%.

I think you will find a lot of people saying the same about Moore too when it comes to upside.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Campbell has played 15 NFL games and averaged 24 yds/game. That is not flashing. The last we saw of him he was dropping an accurate deep pass from Wentz against JAC. 

He’s also the same guy that fumbled 1 out of every 7 touches as a rookie.

He’s a whiff. And this is coming from somebody who really liked Campbell in the draft.

I was wrong about him…and so was the org. But what I really don’t get is how so many fans won’t admit it. Fans still hype Campbell, yet most had no problem dumping Dorsett after only two years (and calling him a bust) or writing off Moncrief.

Those two players were actually more productive in Indy on a per game basis than Campbell. 

As for the kids, I am 100% with @Superman in that I wish they would sign a vet WR. Especially since Ryan has a ticking clock, as you put it. 

But I am not frustrated. Maybe a bit confused. If Ryan is a move to truly compete, then why not get him a weapon or two that is proven?

I have often seen people reference Ryan’s lack of weapons last year in ATL. But as of now, it’s Pitt and a bunch of unknown. 

You say you have no reason to NOT have faith in these young guys, but I ask what is the reason you DO?

If it’s because it’s Ballard, that’s fine. But there hasn’t been nearly enough proof of concept (at WR) for me.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Absolutely. I'm stating my opinion, not lambasting the staff. I think we should have done more at WR, they're okay relying on the young guys, which is risky business. (They also might add a veteran still, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.) I hope to be proven wrong on this.

As for the offseason in general, I thought we needed a new DC. I'm not thrilled with who they went with. I thought we needed help at pass rush, we added Ngakoue, I'd have liked another player at edge, but I think we've upgraded. Especially if the young guys step up. I thought we needed help at corner, we signed Gilmore, and added other pieces in the secondary. Probably not counting on Blackmon, anything from him is a bonus.

And on offense, I think the OL is okay, not great. Raimann can help if he's ready to play right away, but I figure he's either at RG or LT, and that's probably not great right away, at either spot. Depth is a question mark. Matt Ryan is an upgrade, and for a couple weeks I assumed we'd have a weak retread like Mariota... so I'm good with what we did there. I like Pierce and Woods. We're set at RB. It's really just lack of proven WRs that I have a problem with on this side of the ball. 

Overall, I think the AFC is going to be a gauntlet, and I think the greatness we saw in the playoffs last year makes it clear that we are not quite ready to compete at that level. If we take a big jump this year, great, but I think we're still a step behind Buffalo, KC, probably behind the Bengals, Chargers, Raiders, and we can talk about the Titans, Browns and Ravens also. So I'm not over the moon about where we are right now, but I don't have a problem with the way the offseason has gone. Except at WR.

Right, with all that being said what more do you want them to do?

As you said above, they did address everything that was a concern of yours. Sure maybe you want more WR, more edge, but doesn't every team? Also you mentioned previous that pittman isn't a "superstar", 1k+ yards in your 2nd year is pretty decent i'd say... Additionally, Pierce is a physical specimen, and it's not debatable. Pierce immediately upgrades this WR corps. If you look at it the room we are really only missing a specialist slot, and it has been on repeat this offseason that hines likely takes many of those snaps. 

I'm a little confused why people feel unfufilled with this offseason, they literally addressed every single major need, and manuevered out of Wentz who had no value. (Washington was the only bidder). 

I can't get behind the monologue of same old same old. 

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Campbell has played 15 NFL games and averaged 24 yds/game. That is not flashing. The last we saw of him he was dropping an accurate deep pass from Wentz against JAC. 

He’s a whiff. And this is coming from somebody who really liked Campbell in the draft.

I was wrong about him…and so was the org. But what I really don’t get is how so many fans won’t admit it. Fans still hype Campbell, yet most had no problem dumping Dorsett after only two years (and calling him a bust) or writing off Moncrief.

Those two players were actually more productive in Indy on a per game basis than Campbell. 

As for the kids, I am 100% with @Superman in that I wish they would sign a vet WR. Especially since Ryan has a ticking clock, as you put it. 

But I am not frustrated. Maybe a bit confused. If Ryan is a move to truly compete, then why not get him a weapon or two that is proven?

I have often seen people reference Ryan’s lack of weapons last year in ATL. But as of now, it’s Pitt and a bunch of unknown. 

You say you have no reason to NOT have faith in these young guys, but I ask what is the reason you DO?

If it’s because it’s Ballard, that’s fine. But there hasn’t been nearly enough proof of concept (at WR) for me.

I'm 100% with you on the need to sign a vet.

I'm not with you when you say he hasn't flashed. 

Once he had a little time with Wentz (and fully inserted), his last two games he had 50+ a game before injury, including his last catch which was a long 50 yard TD.

And in his only full game in 2020, he had 70 yards. 

I agree his chances for a full season seem foolish to expect given the history, but to say he hasn't flashed upside isn't accurate.

Last thing I think we could do WR-wise is sign Julio Jones. That would give Matt Ryan a security blanket, and someone he has had chemistry with most of his career. The downside could be that he overuses Julio too much and it affects the other WRs negatively (like Luck and TY did), but it could be a great one-year contract to stabilize the WR core, and protect us against injuries.

38 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Ballards direction can only be explained by a wide consensus by our staff that among our Many offensive weapons, Campbell, Patmon, and Strachan have shown the physical and psychlogical abilities to become good NFL Contributors. And Reggie Must believe it also.
 I think were stacked as a passing game Unit. But, as always with a new QB mixed with some young receivers, the first 5 games will be a great challenge.
 CB will add a veteran for depth for injury. Taking a flyer on Calaway or another younger guy with upside fits our mold.

The Colts had an offer on the table to Landry weeks ago. At the time it was the largest offer given to Landry.  The Colts moved on and I’m fine with it. They made an offer to Alan Robinson but the Colts hadn’t secured a QB yet. 

I believe the Colts will give Ryan time to work with the current group against the Colts secondary and see if they feel they need to bring in another WR or not.  It also pretty obvious the Colts’ staff feels like Wentz missed plenty of open receivers.  They saw the film and know what they’ve got. Ryan will have more credibility than Wentz if he feels a WR needs to be brought in.   Let’s not forget Hines is going to see a lot of action in the slot. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Colts had an offer on the table to Landry weeks ago. At the time it was the largest offer given to Landry.  The Colts moved on and I’m fine with it. They made an offer to Alan Robinson but the Colts hadn’t secured a QB yet. 

I believe the Colts will give Ryan time to work with the current group against the Colts secondary and see if they feel they need to bring in another WR or not.  It also pretty obvious the Colts’ staff feels like Wentz missed plenty of open receivers.  They saw the film and know what they’ve got. Ryan will have more credibility than Wentz if he feels a WR needs to be brought in.   Let’s not forget Hines is going to see a lot of action in the slot. 

Didn't see that (Colts offering Landry). Got a link?

If true, we must have really low-balled the offer given he took a one year 6M contract. 

Also, has anyone like Reich come out said Hines will see a lot of action in the slot?

18 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Last thing I think we could do WR-wise is sign Julio Jones. That would give Matt Ryan a security blanket, and someone he has had chemistry with most of his career. The downside could be that he overuses Julio too much and it affects the other WRs negatively (like Luck and TY did), but it could be a great one-year contract to stabilize the WR core, and protect us against injuries.

I wouldn't mind a cheap year of Julio if Ryan wants it. He's clearly on the decline though, and read that he's hardly practiced (even when he played) the last 3 seasons due to injury. But unless Ryan is lobbying, probably a pass. We already have a ton of 6-3 or more guys that need development. Pittman, Pierce, Strachan, Patmon, etc... What we don't have is depth in the traditional slot / Z space. Some decent prospects though. 

If he were truly healthy, I'd be all for it though. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I have faith because the coaches and front office have faith.   If they believe, then I believe.   I think this front office and staff have earned the trust.   

As to your view of Campbell….  I think it’s a fans view.   It’s not the view of a GM, or HC, or scout.  Ballard himself said this off-season that whenever Campbell has been healthy he has flashed. So you’re not disagreeing with me, you’re disagreeing with the GM. 

My last view of PC was catching a long TD pass against Houston where he got hurt.   I didn’t see the season ender and by the sound of things, I missed the right game.   I’m sorry we disagree here.  I’m not saying PC will be a star, or will even make the team.   All I’m saying is if he can stay healthy — admittedly a BIG IF — he can contribute to this team.  Health is everything. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have faith because the coaches and front office have faith.   If they believe, then I believe.   I think this front office and staff have earned the trust.   

As to your view of Campbell….  I think it’s a fans view.   It’s not the view of a GM, or HC, or scout.   My last view of PC was catching a long TD pass against Houston where he got hurt.   I didn’t see the season ender and by the sound of things, I missed the right game. 

Purely my opinion, and while I think his take is overly harsh around "flash", I'm just not sure the FO/Coaching are going all-in with the expectation that PC will last the season. I think reality is somewhere in between. I think also weighing on this is he's locked up on a cheap contract for one more year. So IMO, he's shown flashes, he's cheap and under contract, but he's got an undeniable injury history. My guess is that they are just choosing to roll the dice one more year, but should, and will, have a clear plan B. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, and while I think his take is overly harsh around "flash", I'm just not sure the FO/Coaching are going all-in with the expectation that PC will last the season. I think reality is somewhere in between. I think also weighing on this is he's locked up on a cheap contract for one more year. So IMO, he's shown flashes, he's cheap and under contract, but he's got an undeniable injury history. My guess is that they are just choosing to roll the dice one more year, but should, and will, have a clear plan B. 

I want to be clear…. I don’t think Campbell is a lock at all.   Far from it.   Any more injuries could spell the end for PC’s time with the Colts.   He could easily be cut.   I think the Colts would like PC to make the team, but aren’t married to him at all.  They’ll cut him if they think it’s best.   

Your guy Dulin is next in line, and if he shows well in camp, he could get a good amount of snaps at the Z.   He’s flashed too!   And I’m not ruling out bringing in a vet like TYH.   I just think it won’t happen until mid-June, after the kids have had a chance to make an impression, one way or the other….  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I want to be clear…. I don’t think Campbell is a lock at all.   Far from it.   Any more injuries could spell the end for PC’s time with the Colts.   He could easily be cut.   I think the Colts would like PC to make the team, but aren’t married to him at all.  They’ll cut him if they think it’s best.   

Your guy Dulin is next in line, and if he shows well in camp, he could get a good amount of snaps at the Z.   He’s flashed too!   And I’m not ruling out bringing in a vet like TYH.   I just think it won’t happen until mid-June, after the kids have had a chance to make an impression, one way or the other….  

I think PC is a lock if he's healthy leading up to the season. Not to say he wouldn't get cut/IR'd if injured again. If he had a significant injury in camp, I'd cut or IR him in a heartbeat to make room for another, and simply move on permanently.

Given I have zero clue on what will happen scheme/route/personnel-position wise this season, it's just really hard for me to assume anything at this point. I think Dulin is likely a lock given his value on special teams, as well as experience in the O. But if I had to guess, given his past use at slot and X, not sure I'd project him at Z. It's not that he doesn't have the traits to play Z, it's just the way he's been used in the past. To be honest, I think he's a more natural Z/slot type guy, just not sure that's where he lands. Given we have a ton of bigs, I hope he's not used at X anymore. 

Aside from PC and Dulin, I hope Coutee gets a long look at Z or traditional slot. Harris too, but I think he's a long shot. As a pure slot, wouldn't be surprised if Young (UDFA from Cinci) got a long look if he can also contribute on STs. At this point though, with the majority of FA WRs off the board, I think it's likely that TY is back unless somehow the team wants to roll the dice on a guy like Callaway.

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

As you said above, they did address everything that was a concern of yours. Sure maybe you want more WR, more edge, but doesn't every team? Also you mentioned previous that pittman isn't a "superstar", 1k+ yards in your 2nd year is pretty decent i'd say... Additionally, Pierce is a physical specimen, and it's not debatable. Pierce immediately upgrades this WR corps. If you look at it the room we are really only missing a specialist slot, and it has been on repeat this offseason that hines likely takes many of those snaps. 

I'm a little confused why people feel unfufilled with this offseason, they literally addressed every single major need, and manuevered out of Wentz who had no value. (Washington was the only bidder). 

To the bolded... sign another receiver, right? 

Don't know what the point is here. I said Pittman isn't a superstar, and besides him we have nothing but question marks. I don't think either of those statements is debatable. I like Pierce, but he hasn't played a single down yet. Like I said, I think we're still weak at WR, with basically all our hopes resting on players that are unproven and/or unreliable. 

And as I said earlier, I think we're still off the pace of the best teams in the AFC, unless we suddenly take a big step forward. And that seems like wishful thinking at the moment. 

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

This is weirdly unreasonable. When a player who had virtually no injury history misses 35 out of 50 games to injury, the discussion about his lack of production begins and ends with his injuries. There's no reason to talk about anything else.

Dorsett and Moncrief had entirely different situations. 

I don't know if anyone is hyping Campbell. I think it's a mistake to try to rely on him in any meaningful way. I'm not expecting anything from him. So fine if you write him off. 

And it's fair to be critical of our 2019 draft class. Within 16 picks, we drafted Rock, Campbell and Banogu. We could have had Deebo, AJ Brown, DK, Hardman, or McLaurin, or any two of those three, plus another player. I'm not big on the 'what if' game, but looking at the way those three picks worked out for us, the staff definitely didn't maximize. 

But specific to Campbell, it's all about the injuries. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Didn't see that (Colts offering Landry). Got a link?

If true, we must have really low-balled the offer given he took a one year 6M contract. 

Also, has anyone like Reich come out said Hines will see a lot of action in the slot?

Reich, Ballard, Hines have all said they expect to see him in the slot more this year. The offense is more dynamic when Taylor and Hines are on the field together. 

Landry was trying to get a multi-year offer from teams who weren’t willing to give him one. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Reich, Ballard, Hines have all said they expect to see him in the slot more this year. The offense is more dynamic when Taylor and Hines are on the field together. 

Landry was trying to get a multi-year offer from teams who weren’t willing to give him one. 

I'm sure Landry wanted a better deal, just have seen zero about him being factually linked to Indy.

I recall Ballard's comments about Hines in the slot, but haven't heard/read anything else. We lined him up at slot some last season, but he wasn't really a target. More of a motion decoy (fear of the jet sweep for instance). If you've seen something from Reich, please post as I'd like to read it. I'd also love to see him actually line up at slot, but actually run slot routes. 

5 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

IMO to a huge degree this depends on where you think the team is and what a realistic goal for next season should be? Do we think we are in "win-now" mode? Do we think we are treading water/building up still? 

If we think we are still building and waiting on the youth to develop, I'm good with this off-season and it achieves both giving the young players the opportunity to show what they can do, while still securing some base level of performance at key positions (QB) that impact those young players' development. 

But if you think we should be contenders right away, this coming season, and if you think we should be competing against KC or Buffalo or hell... even the Bengals/Ravens/Chargers/Raiders/Broncos(?), I think there is a way to go and there are multiple positions that need upgrades and/or depth additions. 

At WR in essence we have ONE surefire starting level player. ONE! The rest are all questionmarks to one degree or another. This is in a league that favors teams with multiple high level receiving threats. 

At TE we have MAC who is a starter level and questionmarks everywhere else. None of them is proven receiving weapon

At LT - questionamarks?

At CB - past Gilmore and Rodgers, we have all questionmarks on the outside(some might eveninclude Rodgers in the ?-category, but I like him better than that). Depth highly questionable.

I think we need depth additions at DE too... especially when you know how much we rotate players in this scheme. 

But again - all this is good if you think we are still in a phase of developing youth and building the roster and we don't have any illusions about this team being ready to contend. I just don't want any leaks coming from Irsay or Ballard telling me they think this team is close(like we had last year), because IMO it's not. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

To the bolded... sign another receiver, right? 

Don't know what the point is here. I said Pittman isn't a superstar, and besides him we have nothing but question marks. I don't think either of those statements is debatable. I like Pierce, but he hasn't played a single down yet. Like I said, I think we're still weak at WR, with basically all our hopes resting on players that are unproven and/or unreliable. 

And as I said earlier, I think we're still off the pace of the best teams in the AFC, unless we suddenly take a big step forward. And that seems like wishful thinking at the moment. 

I guess my point is pretty simple... they've addressed most of your concerns, as well as mine, because they are mostly the same. I think I'm a little higher on Pittman than you are. Superstars to me are names that are reconizable and players that produce. I think Pittman has shown that he can be a number one WR, and getting to 1k yards is a good achivement for any 2nd year wideout. I won't lecture you on WR's who hit 1k in their second year and what they've gone on to do in the future.

Is he a jefferson, chase, or diggs? definitely not. Can he have a career simillar to big Mike of TB? I think so, I see ,many similarities. For me, superstar is not the top WRs. There are many stars in the league, and then there are the top 3 WRs, and only a few teams have those X factor type players.

I guess I am confused because who would you want them to sign that is better than pittman? Who available is equal? Julio Jones? A guy that can't get ahead of his hamstrings, Beckham, Landry?... I mean most of the guys available are aging veterans who lack upside. Sure, I would have had to like a guy like Landry, especially at the price he was had at. Did he want to come to indy? Hard to tell.

I think you've got a good take overall, I guess my point is that if all we are lacking is a regular vet at WR, then we really aren't missing much. I think we have time to add if we want to, I just don't see it helping immensely or really making much of a difference at all with the guys that are available. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

IMO to a huge degree this depends on where you think the team is and what a realistic goal for next season should be? Do we think we are in "win-now" mode? Do we think we are treading water/building up still? 

If we think we are still building and waiting on the youth to develop, I'm good with this off-season and it achieves both giving the young players the opportunity to show what they can do, while still securing some base level of performance at key positions (QB) that impact those young players' development. 

But if you think we should be contenders right away, this coming season, and if you think we should be competing against KC or Buffalo or hell... even the Bengals/Ravens/Chargers/Raiders/Broncos(?), I think there is a way to go and there are multiple positions that need upgrades and/or depth additions. 

At WR in essence we have ONE surefire starting level player. ONE! The rest are all questionmarks to one degree or another. This is in a league that favors teams with multiple high level receiving threats. 

At TE we have MAC who is a starter level and questionmarks everywhere else. None of them is proven receiving weapon

At LT - questionamarks?

At CB - past Gilmore and Rodgers, we have all questionmarks on the outside(some might eveninclude Rodgers in the ?-category, but I like him better than that). Depth highly questionable.

I think we need depth additions at DE too... especially when you know how much we rotate players in this scheme. 

But again - all this is good if you think we are still in a phase of developing youth and building the roster and we don't have any illusions about this team being ready to contend. I just don't want any leaks coming from Irsay or Ballard telling me they think this team is close(like we had last year), because IMO it's not. 

I think we are ready to contend now.

I just don't think it will be through the passing game. The offense will run through 28, literally. Everything else should be off play action, misdirection, screens, and short crossing routes. 

I think Pierce fills the deep WR need, and I think Hines see an increase in snaps significantly. 

(I'll go through the needs you listed above) 

--------------------------------------------------------------

WR - Pittman and Pierce (I am totally okay with this combination, I am really high on pierce and I think that his speed will force teams into more 2 high looks, which will clear the box some, I think people are sleeping on his speed)

TE - I am happy with our room. We have MAC who will slide into that Doyle role (yes i know he doesn't block at the same level, but it ain't far off). I think Granson takes more snaps at F this year. I think Woods is the perfect TE to sit right behind MAC and I see him taking most snaps at TE2. (Also happy with Ogletree as that rotational piece)

CB - I've been very high on Rogers ever since I've seen him on Deestroying's channel before he even played. His speed and change of direction is absolutely next level especially at CB. Most people came onto him after the BUF game, but I won't harp too much on all the people who will have to eat crow when it comes to him. If you check his numbers he is very good in coverage. I was sad to see RYS go, but in my mind we win that trade. CB for DE still is an improvement in our coverage because of pass rush help. I also think we see Cross play quite a bit of CB, or third safety. I am very high on Cross as well, I think he fits zone schemes perfectly, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Facyson is also a good depth piece and fringe starter (reminds me of our TJ Carrie signing). I think he can see some playing time on the outside in cover 3, 4 looks. 

LT - Pryor played well at LT, and recently he was quoted saying something like "the more positions you play, the less you get paid". To me this signals he is really hunkering down and our competition at LT between him and Raimann will be intense. This is excactly what I wanted and asked for in our draft want threads. I believe that compeittion there will be a very close one, and that's the best thing to have there. (Outside of a bonefied starter)

I agree we probably need another DE, I was severely disappointed with the Rochell signings last year. Is it a huge glaring hole? Negative. We still have Lewis, Paye, Ben, Dayo, and Yannick. I think another unknown steps up and at least gets some rotational snaps at some point. 

Overall I think we are ready to contend. It won't look like the Bengals or Rams, but it will definitely be a potent offense. People forget we were just top 10 with the leading rusher in the league... We definitely need more production out of the pass game this year, and I think we get it. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think we are ready to contend now.

I just don't think it will be through the passing game. The offense will run through 28, literally. Everything else should be off play action, misdirection, screens, and short crossing routes. 

I think Pierce fills the deep WR need, and I think Hines see an increase in snaps significantly. 

(I'll go through the needs you listed above) 

I just fundamentally don't agree that in today's league relying on the run game is a recipe for success. If you look at almost every single contender in recent years, the huge area of overlap between them is one - prolific passing game.... offensively that is. Is it impossible to contend as a run team - no... but you need a whole lot other things to go right for you and for your defense to be a lot more dominating than ours has shown the ability to be. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

--------------------------------------------------------------

WR - Pittman and Pierce (I am totally okay with this combination, I am really high on pierce and I think that his speed will force teams into more 2 high looks, which will clear the box some, I think people are sleeping on his speed)

TE - I am happy with our room. We have MAC who will slide into that Doyle role (yes i know he doesn't block at the same level, but it ain't far off). I think Granson takes more snaps at F this year. I think Woods is the perfect TE to sit right behind MAC and I see him taking most snaps at TE2. (Also happy with Ogletree as that rotational piece)

CB - I've been very high on Rogers ever since I've seen him on Deestroying's channel before he even played. His speed and change of direction is absolutely next level especially at CB. Most people came onto him after the BUF game, but I won't harp too much on all the people who will have to eat crow when it comes to him. If you check his numbers he is very good in coverage. I was sad to see RYS go, but in my mind we win that trade. CB for DE still is an improvement in our coverage because of pass rush help. I also think we see Cross play quite a bit of CB, or third safety. I am very high on Cross as well, I think he fits zone schemes perfectly, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Facyson is also a good depth piece and fringe starter (reminds me of our TJ Carrie signing). I think he can see some playing time on the outside in cover 3, 4 looks. 

LT - Pryor played well at LT, and recently he was quoted saying something like "the more positions you play, the less you get paid". To me this signals he is really hunkering down and our competition at LT between him and Raimann will be intense. This is excactly what I wanted and asked for in our draft want threads. I believe that compeittion there will be a very close one, and that's the best thing to have there. (Outside of a bonefied starter)

I agree we probably need another DE, I was severely disappointed with the Rochell signings last year. Is it a huge glaring hole? Negative. We still have Lewis, Paye, Ben, Dayo, and Yannick. I think another unknown steps up and at least gets some rotational snaps at some point. 

Overall I think we are ready to contend. It won't look like the Bengals or Rams, but it will definitely be a potent offense. People forget we were just top 10 with the leading rusher in the league... We definitely need more production out of the pass game this year, and I think we get it. 

There is one big problem with just assuming every question will find its solution. Do you know why? Because we have seen that movie already - we had the exact same thing happen last year and almost none of them found their solutions. Which is why second year in a row the questions in front of this team in the off-season were exactly the same - QB, WR, LT, pass-rush, etc... 

Now some of them might find their solutions... like last year Pittman for example emerged as a real starting WR for us(but we lost TY as one). Just I would advise against just assuming it will happen with players who have not shown it before, especially ones that have had the chance to show it and not done it...yet. And with rookies ... I would almost by default count their rookie season as an introduction to the league without huge expectations, especially when we are talking about 2nd and 3d round rookies(highest pick at 53). 

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ballards direction can only be explained by a wide consensus by our staff that among our Many offensive weapons, Campbell, Patmon, and Strachan have shown the physical and psychlogical abilities to become good NFL Contributors. And Reggie Must believe it also.
 I think were stacked as a passing game Unit. But, as always with a new QB mixed with some young receivers, the first 5 games will be a great challenge.
 CB will add a veteran for depth for injury. Taking a flyer on Calaway or another younger guy with upside fits our mold.

I get that. I am sure they do have faith in their group of pass catchers. But they also had faith in the the 2020 and 2021. And in both of those seasons, the lack of pass catchers became an issue (at least to many in the the local media and much of the fanbase).

They also still had Hilton, Pascal and Doyle, all proven pass catchers that provided production.

Now, those 3 players are gone...and all they have added is a rookie WR and a couple of rookie TEs.

In 2-3 years, guys like Pierce and Woods might be better/more productive than those guys were. But for now, they are both raw players, who are somewhat of an unknown.

And who knows if Ryan will still be here in 2-3 years to take advantage of their development.

They have clearly made other win-now moves across the roster...trading for a proven ER, signing a proven 32 year-old PB CB and a 32 year-old S.

So if they are definitely looking to compete with Ryan at QB, why not give him a proven weapon or two on offense?

As of right now, the pass catching group (WRs and TEs) accounted for 1,886 receiving yards in the NFL last year. 

Ballard likes to say people are afraid of the unknown. Well, he's damn right I am. And I am not afraid to admit it either. But they also redshirted many of these guys for a reason.

Mostly, I want Ryan to have somebody beyond Pitt that he can rely on early and often. If Pitt goes down, it could get ugly.  

It just makes a lot of sense to add one, which is why I won't be surprised if they do sign somebody before TC. 

You can win Super Bowls with no name receivers.
  Learn your job, and do it.
   Now we have a QB that is a coach on the field and will do a good job using all the pieces. CB and Reich believe one of Patmon or Strachan can have a breakout season. Let's expect a nice 2nd year jump from both based on our insiders knowledge. 
 While anything is possible, with all the new pieces, Super Bowl expectations make little sense.  But next year...

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I just fundamentally don't agree that in today's league relying on the run game is a recipe for success. If you look at almost every single contender in recent years, the huge area of overlap between them is one - prolific passing game.... offensively that is. Is it impossible to contend as a run team - no... but you need a whole lot other things to go right for you and for your defense to be a lot more dominating than ours has shown the ability to be. 

There is one big problem with just assuming every question will find its solution. Do you know why? Because we have seen that movie already - we had the exact same thing happen last year and almost none of them found their solutions. Which is why second year in a row the questions in front of this team in the off-season were exactly the same - QB, WR, LT, pass-rush, etc... 

Now some of them might find their solutions... like last year Pittman for example emerged as a real starting WR for us(but we lost TY as one). Just I would advise against just assuming it will happen with players who have not shown it before, especially ones that have had the chance to show it and not done it...yet. And with rookies ... I would almost by default count their rookie season as an introduction to the league without huge expectations, especially when we are talking about 2nd and 3d round rookies(highest pick at 53). 

Yep. I think the point of the offense is to score points, or more specifically, score as many pts/drive as they can. That's the strongest correlation to winning in the NFL...scoring offense.

And it's not a surprise that the teams at the top of the league are passing offenses. Passing efficiency correlates to scoring.

But JT is a stud and the running game certainly has value. It can bring extra defenders into the box, set up the PA and it can be used to chew clock.

But good pass plays set up good pass plays too. And efficient pass plays are just much more important. 

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Hard pass.  Feels like Andre Johnson all over again for me.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Yup, exactly. For example, we have an average pass rush in 2020, and lose Autry and Houston, very replaceable players. We were hoping that the young guys would at least fill their modest shoes, which did not happen, and our average pass rush got worse in 2021. We can list names say needs have been addressed, but when all those names are unproven, that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

We've approached WR this year similar to how we approached edge last year. And I kind of glossed over it earlier, but LT is another sore spot, although we at least saw Matt Pryor perform well in limited time last season. I'm hoping that Matt Ryan helps out in both areas -- being a more reliable passer, and being more decisive to relieve some pressure in pass pro. But it's still unlikely that we have a dynamic passing game, without someone stepping up in a huge way. This is why my first question after we got Matt Ryan was 'who will he be throwing to?' Because it was Pittman + a bunch of shrug-worthy players.

I guess my point is pretty simple... they've addressed most of your concerns, as well as mine, because they are mostly the same. I think I'm a little higher on Pittman than you are. Superstars to me are names that are reconizable and players that produce. I think Pittman has shown that he can be a number one WR, and getting to 1k yards is a good achivement for any 2nd year wideout. I won't lecture you on WR's who hit 1k in their second year and what they've gone on to do in the future.

Is he a jefferson, chase, or diggs? definitely not. Can he have a career simillar to big Mike of TB? I think so, I see ,many similarities. For me, superstar is not the top WRs. There are many stars in the league, and then there are the top 3 WRs, and only a few teams have those X factor type players.

I guess I am confused because who would you want them to sign that is better than pittman? Who available is equal? Julio Jones? A guy that can't get ahead of his hamstrings, Beckham, Landry?... I mean most of the guys available are aging veterans who lack upside. Sure, I would have had to like a guy like Landry, especially at the price he was had at. Did he want to come to indy? Hard to tell.

I think you've got a good take overall, I guess my point is that if all we are lacking is a regular vet at WR, then we really aren't missing much. I think we have time to add if we want to, I just don't see it helping immensely or really making much of a difference at all with the guys that are available. 

Mike Evans is pretty much a superstar though. First WR to ever start his career with 7-straight 1k+ seasons. After their first two seasons in the NFL, Evans was averaging 75 yds/game...Pitt is at 53 yds/game. And Evans was nearly 2 years younger.

Plus Evans was catching passes from Josh McCown, Mike Glennon and a rookie Jameis Winston.

I like Pitt, but I think that's a lofty comp.

But it's more about supplementing the WR room, so there is at least one proven option beyond him...to offset some of the unknown. 

It seems like you think I'm being unfair to or critical of the staff. The WR market was crazy, it's understandable that they didn't sign a vet. I think they could have placed a higher priority on WR in free agency, but I get why they took the approach they did. I'm not saying the staff screwed up or doesn't know what they're doing, or anything like that.

What I'm saying is that, as it stands right now, I doubt that we're good enough at WR, unless something unexpected happens with one of the unproven players we have. I also understand that it's mid-May and the roster isn't necessarily complete yet.

And to stitches earlier point, this roster does not appear ready to hold up against the contenders in the AFC. Which makes me wonder why we traded for a 37 year old QB and are paying him $54m for two seasons. I like Matt Ryan, I think he raises our floor and maybe our ceiling, but if we weren't going to maximize his window, what was the point of adding him?

And the more troubling question is this: Is this what it looks like when Ballard is trying to maximize a window? We know he's not a huge swing, all-in kind of guy; he's patient, practical, and disciplined, and I appreciate that about him. But if there was ever a time to push a little bit more, to backload a FA contract or two to address a position of need, etc., it was this offseason. We're still in a stifled cap environment, for probably the last season, so allowing the future rising cap to absorb some of a big contract would make sense. We have an old QB, and an absolute stud at RB, and we know the window is short with both of them. We know Irsay would have supported anything Ballard wanted to do. And the decisions makers around the league are becoming more aggressive in general, especially when it comes to addressing premium positions -- QB, WR, LT, Edge, CB.

So yeah, I wonder if maybe we're either stuck between wanting to stay relevant in the present (maybe because Ballard and Reich have to protect their jobs?), and building toward the future, and it's complicating the team building strategy. Or perhaps worse, if we have a GM who simply will not ever break from his disciplined formula to make a big push, no matter what.

Archived