Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select WR Alec Pierce

tvturner

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want TY back. He has put his heart and soul into the franchise. 3rd best WR ever in Indy. This may be a chance that he gets a ring, who knows? Let him play 1 more year and retire as a Colt. He can play with Matt Ryan, a legit QB.

Take history out of the equation, I still think he is above average and could give us 4 or 5 good games in clutch moments. So this isn't just a history thing with me. 1 more year and add his Vet leadership. We have nothing to lose.

I think I’d be fine with TYH.   But he’s going to have to want to be a Colt.   I’m not expecting Irsay to push Ballard to up the offer.  I think it will be a low base (not the Vet minimum) and ok incentives.  TY is going to have to want to play as opposed to wanting a lot of money.  

That’s my read of things….. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First off, I think this highly unlikely to ever happen for a variety of reasons.  

That said, it simply struck me there are now precious few WRs who might move the needle..    So guys like Hilton and Jones also have health issues and would play limited snaps to one degree or another.   And if we’re considering guys on a limited pitch count then a player like Fuller who seems to alter defenses would offer some value even if his actual catches were somewhat limited.  

Just thinking out loud with the realization that chances of this happening are between slim and none and Slim is riding out of town. 

Question:  do you think we honestly want TYH back on a very reduced contract?   Or are we secretly hoping he signs with someone else? 

I get keeping TY, he's a Colt. I get bringing in Julio, he has history with Matt Ryan. I wouldn't expect very much out of either of them, it would be vet leadership, maybe a big moment here or there on the field, but it's more about the locker room than reliable, weekly production.

I don't see that value with Will Fuller, and I'm skeptical that he'd be on the field enough to make a difference for us. Doesn't even seem worth taking the chance, even on a really cheap contract.

Another idea is OBJ, which also is unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons. But if you're willing to deal with Fuller's issues, why not sign and shelve Odell on a two year deal? Maybe he gives us a few games at the end of this year, but more likely he's a big boost in 2023. But there's the money (very different than Fuller, in all likelihood), and then there's his reputation/personality.

But more importantly, it seems like the staff is content with what we have. They've passed on a lot of lower cost veterans that I think would help, most recently Landry. I don't think we're good enough at WR, but I hope the staff is proved to be right in this case.

I think the only reason to sign TY is sentimentality. I guess there's a chance he can give us some good production, but that seems like wishful thinking at this point. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I get keeping TY, he's a Colt. I get bringing in Julio, he has history with Matt Ryan. I wouldn't expect very much out of either of them, it would be vet leadership, maybe a big moment here or there on the field, but it's more about the locker room than reliable, weekly production.

I don't see that value with Will Fuller, and I'm skeptical that he'd be on the field enough to make a difference for us. Doesn't even seem worth taking the chance, even on a really cheap contract.

Another idea is OBJ, which also is unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons. But if you're willing to deal with Fuller's issues, why not sign and shelve Odell on a two year deal? Maybe he gives us a few games at the end of this year, but more likely he's a big boost in 2023. But there's the money (very different than Fuller, in all likelihood), and then there's his reputation/personality.

But more importantly, it seems like the staff is content with what we have. They've passed on a lot of lower cost veterans that I think would help, most recently Landry. I don't think we're good enough at WR, but I hope the staff is proved to be right in this case.

I think the only reason to sign TY is sentimentality. I guess there's a chance he can give us some good production, but that seems like wishful thinking at this point. 

Given Landry's low cost, disappointed we weren't in that mix.

Would be nice to have OBJ, but I think it'll likely be too of an asking price for someone who won't likely play till mid season at best. His age, 2 ACLs in two years, etc. are of course concerns beyond just the dollars.

Agree on TY, that it's mostly sentimentality, but we're also very lean on a true z type WR. 

If we would use the deep ball more, I'd be fine with a low/modest deal for Fuller. But deep really hasn't been a big part of our O. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Given Landry's low cost, disappointed we weren't in that mix.

Would be nice to have OBJ, but I think it'll likely be too of an asking price for someone who won't likely play till mid season at best. His age, 2 ACLs in two years, etc. are of course concerns beyond just the dollars.

Agree on TY, that it's mostly sentimentality, but we're also very lean on a true z type WR. 

If we would use the deep ball more, I'd be fine with a low/modest deal for Fuller. But deep really hasn't been a big part of our O. 

Im hoping Harris fills the z type, he looked solid 2 seasons ago

32 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Im hoping Harris fills the z type, he looked solid 2 seasons ago

He really didn't run Z routes a lot though. He was more of a gimmick guy. I think most of his touches were scheme/gimmick stuff, and only had like 2-3 routes. And I think one or both may have come out of the slot. But he did look good. I do recall 2 nice routes, especially the one where Rivers hit him vs TN. Can't remember though if he started inside (slot) or out (z).

If he can run routes, I'd be happy to see him get some targets at Z/slot. He was very productive in terms of touches. 

He's just so tiny lol, and doesn't seem like Reich has a lot of confidence in him. Really thought we'd see him some last season after his 2020. 

I'd like to see Coutee get a fair shot too. 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Again, IMO it depends on what the goal is. If we are not going all in for a championship, I see no problem with letting the young guys sort out the rotation, find their spots on the team and get some playing time to develop their game. But if we are going for it this year, right now(!!) IMO OBJ should be in heavy consideration. Why OBJ - because he gives the highest ceiling IMO and that highest ceiling will be available for the playoffs, when it will be most needed. He also fits the best from every other option... well maybe TY fits pretty well too, but there is definitely a question about just how much left he has in the tank. In general, I tend to lean towards vets that have reached incredibly high level in the past. I think it's easier to project an all-pro/pro-bowl vet being able to get back to a level we've seen he can reach, than project really high level of development from players who have failed to reach that level before. And this is especially true for short periods of time and runs of several games of high leverage situations(like a playoff run).

So what does that mean for us(if we are going all in now)? IMO OBJ should be priority with players like Julio and TY still being good options. For example, even though TY has been injured and has fallen off I would still believe he has a better chance to be a difference maker in the playoffs than the likes of Parris Campbell, Ashton Dulin, Keke Coutee, etc. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I’d be fine with TYH.   But he’s going to have to want to be a Colt.   I’m not expecting Irsay to push Ballard to up the offer.  I think it will be a low base (not the Vet minimum) and ok incentives.  TY is going to have to want to play as opposed to wanting a lot of money.  

That’s my read of things….. 

It will be interesting to see what we are offering him compared to other teams. None of us know?

I personally slightly prefer Emmanuel Sanders or Cole Beasley to Julio or TY. They would compliment what we have a little bit better imo.. but really I think ANY of the vets take this offense to the next level. I'm thinking Super Bowl when that happens. A vet WR makes this team as complete as it's been in a while.

I'm all for letting the young guys get a shot at regular play... but you've got to compete and earn it, especially on a win-now team. I'm not too sympathetic in that regards. 

I love the idea of watching Julio catch passes from Ryan, but I truly think he is done from an injury standpoint. 

But all of these guys are injury risks. Which is why I would swing for the 28 year-old WR, who (from 2018-20) averaged 71 yds/game, 10.7 yds/target and caught 70% of his targets.

Fuller adds a proven deep threat to the offense, but he also really started to diverse his route tree in 2020 with DHop gone.

Obviously, the injuries are a very real concern and you would have to basically throw out last season (a thumb injury that he has had surgery one). But that would be baked into his contract.

If he does get hurt, then the Colts can just backfill from the current depth chart.

If he doesn't get hurt, they might have a legit WR2 who could not only open up the offense, but could also move around and play some slot as well. Outside of OBJ, I don't really see anybody else with that upside...and when he will return is a big question mark.

I don't really see any downside, but since he's not signed, maybe he is asking for too much. I actually expected him to be in GB by now.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Again, IMO it depends on what the goal is. If we are not going all in for a championship, I see no problem with letting the young guys sort out the rotation, find their spots on the team and get some playing time to develop their game. But if we are going for it this year, right now(!!) IMO OBJ should be in heavy consideration. Why OBJ - because he gives the highest ceiling IMO and that highest ceiling will be available for the playoffs, when it will be most needed. He also fits the best from every other option... well maybe TY fits pretty well too, but there is definitely a question about just how much left he has in the tank. In general, I tend to lean towards vets that have reached incredibly high level in the past. I think it's easier to project an all-pro/pro-bowl vet being able to get back to a level we've seen he can reach, than project really high level of development from players who have failed to reach that level before. And this is especially true for short periods of time and runs of several games of high leverage situations(like a playoff run).

So what does that mean for us(if we are going all in now)? IMO OBJ should be priority with players like Julio and TY still being good options. For example, even though TY has been injured and has fallen off I would still believe he has a better chance to be a difference maker in the playoffs than the likes of Parris Campbell, Ashton Dulin, Keke Coutee, etc. 

I don't have big hopes for most of the young guys, if one of them should break out it would be a pleasant surprise, but not something we should be relying on through the season. I think we need better, more consistent play on offense to win the division. If we don't get that, then a bonus in the playoffs doesn't matter.

I agree with projecting OBJ more confidently than other options. It's also probably the option with the most potential for volatility, and the least potential to help us during the regular season. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't have big hopes for most of the young guys, if one of them should break out it would be a pleasant surprise, but not something we should be relying on through the season. I think we need better, more consistent play on offense to win the division. If we don't get that, then a bonus in the playoffs doesn't matter.

I agree with projecting OBJ more confidently than other options. It's also probably the option with the most potential for volatility, and the least potential to help us during the regular season. 

IMO if we think we are this close to contention we should be able to survive not having OBJ in the regular season, especially in this division and with this weak schedule. IF! 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO if we think we are this close to contention we should be able to survive not having OBJ in the regular season, especially in this division and with this weak schedule. IF! 

I think we haven't won the division since 2014, and the AFC is a powerhouse, so I'd rather see us force the door open, than try to wiggle through a cracked seam. 

It's probably irrelevant, I don't see them adding OBJ no matter what. If they were interested in a player like him, they could/should have signed someone weeks ago. Maybe the door is open for TY or Julio, given their connections to the team, but I'm thinking they're going to roll with what they have.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think we haven't won the division since 2014, and the AFC is a powerhouse, so I'd rather see us force the door open, than try to wiggle through a cracked seam. 

It's probably irrelevant, I don't see them adding OBJ no matter what. If they were interested in a player like him, they could/should have signed someone weeks ago. Maybe the door is open for TY or Julio, given their connections to the team, but I'm thinking they're going to roll with what they have.

Same, it feels like Reich and Ballard like this group... at least they've repeatedly said so, even unprompted. We'll see I guess... I am very much in agreement with your point - we needed more at WR this off-season and there are way too many questionmarks in this WR corps. In essence we have ONE player who we for sure can say is starting quality WR. Everything else is youth and projection or marginal NFL talent. 

If we go this route, I would prefer TY.  All the players mentioned careers are really behind them.  I look at what the player can bring to the team.  As everyone here says they can bring experience and leadership.  Say we're at home in a dogfight.  Julio gets a touchdown and place is excited, YEAH.  Ty gets the same touchdown the crowd is excited but because he is a hometown favorite the excitement level is higher and last longer.  Nothing wrong with a little homerism.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

It is a bit strange that they haven't added one single proven pass catcher at TE or WR this offseason (despite many being available), especially since they lost 3 proven pass-catching options in Hilton, Doyle and Pascal. That's their TE1 and their WR

Instead, they are relying on a rookie WR and a rookie TE, along with development of other young players, including one that has been oft-injured. 

Somebody mentioned it before, but that is eerily similar to the approach they took ER/DL last year.

But instead of Paye (arguably the best ER in the class), they got Pierce (the WR12) and instead of Dayo (brought along slow due to injury), they have Woods (brought along slow by position). And instead of relying on Lewis or Turay to not get hurt again, they are relying on Campbell.

But it clearly didn't work out last season. And the end result was them trading for Ngakoue this offseason.

Knowing that, it just seems risky to try that approach again, at an even more important area of the team, with even higher stakes.

It's probably even more surprising that they went out and got a 37 year-old vet QB to to apparently try to contend this upcoming season and next, but didn't get him any additional proven weapons to work with. Especially since Ryan is a guy who has always had weapons in ATL.  

Going to make a prediction on our WR group. Ballard said he wanted to evaluate what he has before signing a vet. If he likes what he sees  this will be the WR.

Pittman

Campbell

Pierce 

Dulin 

Coutee (he will be insurance for Parris )

then last spot will be Patmon or Strachan 

Kevin Bowen said Hines looked good in the slot with Ryan too.  Next few weeks will be critical if we bring Hilton back. If Ballard doesn’t like what he sees in OTA then Hilton will be back. If he isn’t signed next few weeks he likes what he sees. 

There hasn’t been one WR named on this page that excites me. TY really is a ghost now. 23 catches last year and he flexed and celebrated after every single one like he did something special. Maybe it was bc he knew he just made another half million. That’s what it cost. Yeah I know I’m being petty but I found it annoying. 

I say let the young guys play and try again next offseason. Pittman is solid, Pierce should contribute as he learns the position.  It’s not a stellar group but I think a few will surprise us. Between Hines, MAC and Campbell, one of them should breakout. Add that to JT and MPJ and it will make a good trio that can win ballgames. 

On 4/29/2022 at 11:12 PM, Superman said:

Chase Claypool is the best comparison, IMO. 

There is definitely a "thing" with comparing white receivers -- inside or out -- to other white receivers. There's also some coded language, and once a person notices it, it's pretty hard to miss moving forward. "Hard working," "deceptive speed," "quicker than fast," etc. I think a lot of it is ignorance. I don't know that it hurts white receivers, but it's definitely a thing, and I now roll my eyes at it.

(There's a similar "thing" with black QBs. "Freak athlete," "not great in the pocket," "a runner learning to be a QB," etc. While white QBs are more "natural passers," "game managers," etc. I don't think it's intentional, but maybe it influences the general perception of a black QB in negative ways. But this is not necessarily intentional. Stephen A Smith called Dwayne Haskins (RIP :( ) a "running QB," when he had barely over 100 yards rushing his last year in college, and was NOT a running QB at all. I think he racially profiled Haskins, unintentionally, and it was an obvious example of what sometimes happens when describing and comparing prospect players. It's weird.)

And while it doesn't matter, I'll tell you this. I watched a lot of Desmond Ridder, and Alec Pierce stood out to me on the tape, so I watched some of Pierce. But I couldn't tell for sure at first, and had to stop the video and figure out his ethnicity. Not that it mattered, but I wanted to know. And I think part of that is him being a tall, outside, downfield receiver, who happens to be white. Kind of an outlier.

Same thing with Matt Corral, just wanted to know for sure. (Here's a pick of him and his family: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXSXU20DkC2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link ) 

I heard that Pierce went to a predominantly "deceptively quick" school and lived in "deceptively quick" neighborhoods his entire life. With that said, he is a very inclusive individual, and has many "fast and quick" friends and teammates.

My cousin used to date a guy who was "deceptively quick."

(this sounds like a Fresh Prince episode, for those who remember) haha

On 5/26/2022 at 8:28 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Going to make a prediction on our WR group. Ballard said he wanted to evaluate what he has before signing a vet. If he likes what he sees  this will be the WR.

Pittman

Campbell

Pierce 

Dulin 

Coutee (he will be insurance for Parris )

then last spot will be Patmon or Strachan 

Kevin Bowen said Hines looked good in the slot with Ryan too.  Next few weeks will be critical if we bring Hilton back. If Ballard doesn’t like what he sees in OTA then Hilton will be back. If he isn’t signed next few weeks he likes what he sees. 

Not sure why you think Coutee is favored over Patmon or Strachan, but you do.  Not sure anyone bangs the table louder or harder for Coutee than you do.   

Could he win a spot in the final 6 to make the team?   Yes, but I think he’s a long shot.  I can’t even recall the last time anyone in the organization has even talked about him?    I think the staff wants Patmon and Strachan to make it.  They have traits you can’t coach.  If one of them doesn’t make the final 6, I think the staff will consider it a disappointment. 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure why you think Coutee is favored over Patmon or Strachan, but you do.  Not sure anyone bangs the table louder or harder for Coutee than you do.   

Could he win a spot in the final 6 to make the team?   Yes, but I think he’s a long shot.  I can’t even recall the last time anyone in the organization has even talked about him?    I think the staff wants Patmon and Strachan to make it.  They have traits you can’t coach.  If one of them doesn’t make the final 6, I think the staff will consider it a disappointment. 

This year will be interesting. Not sure who ends up where. And with Reggie now coaching WRs, might see some different philosophies/strategies. Ryan will likely impact those things as well. 

All in all, I have no clue where guys will end up position wise..... Tons of questions. But Coutee making the cut wouldn't shock me at all. He's probably the best candidate trait wise to man the slot though. Dulin has those traits too. 

Anyway, new WR coach, new QB..... it'll likely come down to who has the best chemistry with Ryan for those last couple slots. It does seem that Strachan is getting some early opportunity that a lot of folks didn't expect. Way early though. 

On 5/30/2022 at 8:57 PM, Professor Farnsworth said:

I usually don't buy rookies jersey's but...I think I am going to make an exception in the case of this kid. I really really think he is going to be special.

Louis Riddick thinks Alec will be offensive rookie of the year.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I have no idea but since you have an agenda, I'm guessing he did. Do you know of anyone that has never been wrong on a prediction? 

I have no agenda. 

The Wentz prediction was brought up when we signed Wentz. Not sure it was Riddick but I think so.

I just don't put a ton of stock predictions. And to jump the shark and say OROY is a bit much. 

35 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Something I didn’t realize is pierce is from north eastern illinois. So he gets to play close to home. Then add college in  cincinatti. Colts have a couple players including Ryan Kelly that got drafted by a team not far from family. I think that is pretty cool. I am sure pierce will fit  right in down in Indy.

Yup. I think he'll be an excellent long term fit. I was a bit worried if Pitt would be a great fit due to his WC history, but he seems to have embraced the Colts and the MW. Pierce is a good smart kid. I think it might take him longer than some, but I do think he'll be a stud long term for us. Just needs to learn and polish that route tree up. My cousin played FB at Cinci not long ago, and he's super stoked about AP being in Indy. 

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I think he'll be an excellent long term fit. I was a bit worried if Pitt would be a great fit due to his WC history, but he seems to have embraced the Colts and the MW. Pierce is a good smart kid. I think it might take him longer than some, but I do think he'll be a stud long term for us. Just needs to learn and polish that route tree up. My cousin played FB at Cinci not long ago, and he's super stoked about AP being in Indy. 

Pittmans  wife mentions I think in a video on YouTube that Michael likes  the outdoors and wanted land. I noticed from some of their IG stories their new house seems to be just that.

Parris Campbell is another one that doesn’t play far from home.

Buckner has settled in too even though he is more a WC guy. He stays here pretty much all offseason. I know he is a big hunter too.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Pittmans  wife mentions I think in a video on YouTube that Michael likes  the outdoors and wanted land. I noticed from some of their IG stories their new house seems to be just that.

Parris Campbell is another one that doesn’t play far from home.

Buckner has settled in too even though he is more a WC guy. He stays here pretty much all offseason. I know he is a big hunter too.

Pitt is a good dude. His father, who was also a player, was from Louisiana originally and played longest at TB, so I'm sure the family is not purely a Cali family. I strong dislike USC lol, so that worried me too, but I knew based on reports he was a quality kid. So happy he's here.

Defo is originally from Hawaii. So way West lol. I wonder what he thinks of Indy. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I have no agenda. 

The Wentz prediction was brought up when we signed Wentz. Not sure it was Riddick but I think so.

I just don't put a ton of stock predictions. And to jump the shark and say OROY is a bit much. 

You don't put stock on predictions? Huh? You create topic after topic with polls asking forum members for predictions.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:15 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I predict Coutee asks to be cut or is cut prior to training camp.

7 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You don't put stock on predictions? Huh? You create topic after topic with polls asking forum members for predictions.

Uh... they're fan polls for fun to drive board participation.

Doesn't mean I put stock in them. 

Whether or not it is a good take or a bad take, I think we keep 6 WR's:

1. Pittman

2. Pierce

3. Dulin

4. Campbell

5. Patmon

6. I think we re-sign TY, I could be wrong but we will see. Insurance for Campbell or if Dulin and Patmon do struggle at times. Hopefully TY will take something like 5 Mill for 1 year if it has incentives to make more money. As in a certain amount of total yards gained or catches for example to make an extra Mill. I look for Hines to catch 60 passes or so which will be critical. TY seems like he wants to retire a Colt and he only needs like 400 yards to get to 10,000 yards all-time.

This will not make Strachan fans happy but I could see this WR room happening. 

Archived