Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Cap space is really non-existent. Many teams like the Chiefs and Rams are proof of that. You wanna make space, you can one way or another.

Seriously?    You say that roughly a week after the Packers trade Devonte Adams and the Chiefs trade Tyreke Hill.   BOTH due to cap space, or the lack thereof.  

I think your view is the typical fans view.   It’s doable if the team wants to.   You think the Packers and Chiefs didn’t want to bring back Adams and Hill?    Come on, now….  

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The leverage the Giants have is that multiple teams are said to want Bradbury.   So the teams are bidding against themselves.   Still, I like our chances. 

Im not the least bit sold on Mathieu.  I think he’s going to want top dollar as he’s still under 30.   So, I’m guessing he’s looking for at least $10 mill per, which would be a pay cut from what he’s used to.  My guess is he’s interested in the Colts driving up the price, and since we rarely play that game, I don’t see this happening.   I’d be happy to be wrong.   

Still, even if I’m wrong and we’re serious players, to get both we’d likely have to be on the hook for roughly $15 mill per for the duo.   And since we’ve only got $21-ish left, I’d be beyond stunned to see that happening. 

Could we re-work several contracts?   Sure.  But I can’t help but notice that we’ve only re-worked Ryan, and not anyone else as of yet, and we still haven’t done our deal with Quenton yet.   Feels like we’re behind the curve financially from where I thought we’d be. 

I dont really think we need Mathieu. I havent looked at many alternatives just yet or whats in the draft. Are there any Darnell Savages in this draft?

8 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Here are some exerts from his zaks story. Remember when we said he had no plan.

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Let’s just call it what it is. They got lucky.

“Damn right we did,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard said Monday, peeling back the curtain on a wild few weeks for his franchise, a stretch that saw it punt on the Carson Wentz experiment after just one season and, somewhat stunningly — even to Indianapolis — stumble upon an available upgrade in Matt Ryan just 12 days later.

“To sit here and say we just had a flat-out plan that the QB (position) was going to work out, we didn’t,” Ballard said Monday during a break from the NFL owners’ meetings in Palm Beach.

“Look, it’s going to work out,” Irsay kept reminding them. “Just have some patience.”

“Continuing to force that decision down your throat just to prove yourself right, it’s just not how we operate,” Ballard said.

We didn’t want to have seller’s remorse,” Reich added, noting that the three of them — after some lengthy, heated discussions — eventually got on the same page. “I think we already determined that was not gonna happen.”

Privately, they never held any serious interest in Mitch Trubisky. They studied San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo but were never convinced he was the right play, worried about, among other things, his offseason shoulder surgery. The Colts never made a trade offer. Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield, who was interested in Indianapolis while the Browns made their run at Deshaun Watson, was never a target, either.

“Once that became an option, that became the No. 1 option the whole way, as far as I’m concerned,” Reich said. “Now, you always want the opportunity to go younger, but we didn’t have a lot of options.”

No, they didn’t. If they hadn’t landed Ryan, the Colts were looking at either Winston or Mariota lining up under center next fall.

Don’t forget we have our first back next year and probably 2 seconds. Tons of ammo to move up.

Ryan’s arrival affords the team the chance to take a quarterback in the next two drafts — as opposed to forcing one this year — and my bet is that move comes in 2023, when the Colts have more capital at their disposal, including a first-round pick.

“Frank is a really good head coach — this guy’s good,” the GM said. “We’ve had all these different quarterbacks. That falls on my shoulders. I’m never going to blame him for that.”

On WR

“Do we need to add? Yes,” Ballard said. “But do I feel totally lost and helpless? No.”

woah good news
“Nyheim we need to use more,” Ballard said. “Frank knows that, and I think they will. They’re going to play him more in the slot.”

Good old CB. When challenged with a question that makes him a bit

uncomfortable (the WR question) he always reaches for the 'straw man'.

Did Keefer imply that CB felt lost and helpless ?  Of course not.

59 minutes ago, indykmj said:

The Plan doesn't change.

Do what's best for the TEAM. Adapt Adapt Adapt

Get the BPA to you.
    The Wentz failure was a huge setback. We looked headed to a sub .500 season almost certainly.
   Then the unexpected happened. But now i look at Atlanta's position, and resetting this year, without Ryan, made sense. And just as it magically APPEARED last season that Wentz needed a reset and could come to Frank and a talented roster to get back to being his best with big possibilites, Ryan magically appears and comes to the same franchise to fulfill his best hopes for success. One door closes, another opens. 
 Stafford was ready to come here but another door opened. 
  I'm going to wonder till my last days how did Frank not understand Carsons mental approach/accumen to the passing game? Perhaps he just thought he was the best available and crossed his fingers.

10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Here are some exerts from his zaks story. Remember when we said he had no plan.

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Let’s just call it what it is. They got lucky.

“Damn right we did,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard said Monday, peeling back the curtain on a wild few weeks for his franchise, a stretch that saw it punt on the Carson Wentz experiment after just one season and, somewhat stunningly — even to Indianapolis — stumble upon an available upgrade in Matt Ryan just 12 days later.

“To sit here and say we just had a flat-out plan that the QB (position) was going to work out, we didn’t,” Ballard said Monday during a break from the NFL owners’ meetings in Palm Beach.

“Look, it’s going to work out,” Irsay kept reminding them. “Just have some patience.”

“Continuing to force that decision down your throat just to prove yourself right, it’s just not how we operate,” Ballard said.

We didn’t want to have seller’s remorse,” Reich added, noting that the three of them — after some lengthy, heated discussions — eventually got on the same page. “I think we already determined that was not gonna happen.”

Privately, they never held any serious interest in Mitch Trubisky. They studied San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo but were never convinced he was the right play, worried about, among other things, his offseason shoulder surgery. The Colts never made a trade offer. Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield, who was interested in Indianapolis while the Browns made their run at Deshaun Watson, was never a target, either.

“Once that became an option, that became the No. 1 option the whole way, as far as I’m concerned,” Reich said. “Now, you always want the opportunity to go younger, but we didn’t have a lot of options.”

No, they didn’t. If they hadn’t landed Ryan, the Colts were looking at either Winston or Mariota lining up under center next fall.

Don’t forget we have our first back next year and probably 2 seconds. Tons of ammo to move up.

Ryan’s arrival affords the team the chance to take a quarterback in the next two drafts — as opposed to forcing one this year — and my bet is that move comes in 2023, when the Colts have more capital at their disposal, including a first-round pick.

“Frank is a really good head coach — this guy’s good,” the GM said. “We’ve had all these different quarterbacks. That falls on my shoulders. I’m never going to blame him for that.”

On WR

“Do we need to add? Yes,” Ballard said. “But do I feel totally lost and helpless? No.”

woah good news
“Nyheim we need to use more,” Ballard said. “Frank knows that, and I think they will. They’re going to play him more in the slot.”

It pretty much confirms what most of us knew, that the plan was to wait to get lucky until you have to sign one of the remaining free agent QBs.  The plan worked.  The Colts got lucky.  Got lucky because ATL alienated their starting QB by making their first dumb move by trying to get DW.

And now it appears that Ballard is taking this similar circling-vulture approach with other players.  Offer trades with teams who have telegraphed that they want out of certain player contracts, and make those teams eat the contract.

Not a bad strategy.  Be the NFL garbage man who builds the team by picking up the remains of other teams' failed forward looking activities.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont really think we need Mathieu. I havent looked at many alternatives just yet or whats in the draft. Are there any Darnell Savages in this draft?

I don’t know.   But wasn’t Savage a surprise first round pick?    I don’t want a high pick being used on a safety, especially not this draft when I think there are other, more pressing needs.    But others might disagree with that….  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?    You say that roughly a week after the Packers trade Devonte Adams and the Chiefs trade Tyreke Hill.   BOTH due to cap space, or the lack thereof.  

I think your view is the typical fans view.   It’s doable if the team wants to.   You think the Packers and Chiefs didn’t want to bring back Adams and Hill?    Come on, now….  

Yes and no! Andy Reid said yes they want Hill but they aren’t paying him 30mil per year. So was cap a factor yes but also knowing you aren’t paying crazy money and getting draft picks now is a bigger factor. Now the Rams as previously mentioned shows a different picture of cap manipulation and CR91 has a valid point of the tactics they use pushing multiple players under contracts and being able to push money down the road. We could restructure but Ballard doesn’t seem to do it or hasn’t shown a huge consideration in doing it with multiple players. 

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay doesn’t realize the bad position he put Ballard in. If Ryan hadn’t fallen in their laps Ballard and Reich would be gone after this season.

It makes me wonder if Irsay wasn't in contact with the Falcons for a while and all a long he wanted him maybe thinking he would be available. I say that because the Falcons were strapped with his contract and they talked about wanting rebuild after the season ended. I mean to get Ryan for just a 3rd was a straight out fleece.. Hell we had to give up a 1 and 3 for Wentz and Ryan is better.

9 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If the plan is to really use Hines in the slot that takes a little pressure off WR situation  A little bit.

I don't think they've ever said they were going to do that. Utilize him more? Yes, but I haven't seen where they said they intend to use him out of the slot on a regular basis. I feel like when he's been asked about it in the past, Reich has said that wouldn't be the case. Unless you read something recently that's contrary his previous statements.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I don't think they've ever said they were going to do that. Utilize him more? Yes, but I haven't seen where they said they intend to use him out of the slot on a regular basis. I feel like when he's been asked about it in the past, Reich has said that wouldn't be the case. Unless you read something recently that's contrary his previous statements.

Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea using Hines in the Slot. He has good hands and great speed.

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Yes and no! Andy Reid said yes they want Hill but they aren’t paying him 30mil per year. So was cap a factor yes but also knowing you aren’t paying crazy money and getting draft picks now is a bigger factor. Now the Rams as previously mentioned shows a different picture of cap manipulation and CR91 has a valid point of the tactics they use pushing multiple players under contracts and being able to push money down the road. We could restructure but Ballard doesn’t seem to do it or hasn’t shown a huge consideration in doing it with multiple players. 

We just re-structured at least one deal, if not more last year.   And I wouldn’t rule out doing it this year as the need arises.   We’re down to 21/22 mill and will likely need more.  

Notice teams like New Orleans have to cut/trade players because their way over the cap.   A number of years ago, the Saints went 7-9 three straight years.  They were in salary cap Hell.   Sean Payton is a great coach and Drew Brees was at his peak.   But they had trouble escaping the financial mess they created for themselves. 

Im just saying at some point the bill comes due and there are consequences.   

21 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay doesn’t realize the bad position he put Ballard in. If Ryan hadn’t fallen in their laps Ballard and Reich would be gone after this season.

Take a look at the profile for Jim Irsay.   It’s on this website and there’s a Wikipedia page as well. 

Jim Irsay has been a general manager.   He knew exactly what he was doing.   And NO,  Ballard and Reich were not going to be gone had things gone different. 

That’s another over-reaction based on your opinion only. 

16 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You folks are humorus. It is not difficult to understand that there is a time to consider putting yourself in roster and cap he!!. 
 If you can't see that we haven't been in position at QB since Luck left, or with roster experience levels in the same period (Castonzo quitting was huge btw), only then can you come up with this silliness.
 New QB, new DC, and a lot of holes. It is another developmental year.

We are likely to be as good or better than half the other teams that are striving to become SB contenders. 

You keep building the roster, train them up, and maybe someday you hit the mark enough to make a run. We have a number of high quality pieces but need to get considerably better as individuals and as units.  

I am a FAN of the Colts and enjoy the journey, through highs and even Mannings 7 very sad one and dones.

36 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

(Castonzo quitting was huge btw), only then can you come up with this silliness.

The most recent Castonzo "quitting" was the second time he "quit".  The current two year contract came after he was strongly considering retiring some time ago.   He's was sitting on the retirement fence for about three years.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

It pretty much confirms what most of us knew, that the plan was to wait to get lucky until you have to sign one of the remaining free agent QBs.  The plan worked.  The Colts got lucky.  Got lucky because ATL alienated their starting QB by making their first dumb move by trying to get DW.

And now it appears that Ballard is taking this similar circling-vulture approach with other players.  Offer trades with teams who have telegraphed that they want out of certain player contracts, and make those teams eat the contract.

Not a bad strategy.  Be the NFL garbage man who builds the team by picking up the remains of other teams' failed forward looking activities.

@NewColtsFan.  Perhaps my comment was too abstract for you to not be confused.  And this one still might be.

It's becoming apparent that CBs plan is to maintain enough cap space in order to be in a position to get good players that must be discarded from other teams because of their cap management bind.  The Colts acquired Ryan primarily because we are one of the few teams that had the cap space.  No wonder Ryan picked the Colts...as did Mayfield apparently...duh.

Now we may be signing Mathieu, because of KCs cap problem.  We may be trading for Bradberry because NYG doesn't want the contract, and will force the NYG to eat the dead cap...which is still a savings to them.  We discarded Wentz, but made WAS take our cap issue.

Picking up other teams discarded players, that is akin to a circling vulture or a garbage collector.   Not that they are bad players, and you can certainly find good players that way, but its not much different than finding treasures by dumpster diving for other people's discards.  Ever watched the show "Storage Wars"?  LOL.

Its been said that Ballard shops at Dollar Tree.  I think Goodwill is a better analogy.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Not sure I agree this with.  Irsay has been around football a long time and I bet he knew exactly what he did. I bet he was part of the meetings where they discussed what the options were and what they would do.  It seems pretty obvious that after the decision was made to trade Wentz that the leadership believed having a patient approach to finding the next QB was required and I can't see how Irsay was not involved in all of that.  And I would expect one of the options was to sign Mariota if nothing else worked out and plan to draft a QB next year and Irsay knew all of this. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

It pretty much confirms what most of us knew, that the plan was to wait to get lucky until you have to sign one of the remaining free agent QBs. 

I'm sure they thought through many options, including doing nothing and waiting until 2023 to draft a QB.  These guys spend huge hours doing their jobs - they live and breath football.  I just don't believe the plan was to wait and get lucky.  I would think the plan was to look at all options as they became available and assess the feasibility, cost, and potential outcome of each option based on the knowledge they had on each possible option.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Take a look at the profile for Jim Irsay.   It’s on this website and there’s a Wikipedia page as well. 

Jim Irsay has been a general manager.   He knew exactly what he was doing.   And NO,  Ballard and Reich were not going to be gone had things gone different. 

That’s another over-reaction based on your opinion only. 

This can go both ways, though.

Was Irsay aware of the rumors about Wentz while he was with the Eagles? Was he aware about the rumors about the lack of leadership? Was Irsay aware of the poor performance by Wentz in 2020?

Like all of us casual fans, I'm sure Irsay was aware of all of this and yet he still signed off on going after Wentz. I'm sure at that time, the plan was to be patient with Wentz and let him join the team and learn how to lead. They would have to be patient and slowly see progress with Wentz, which they did, compared to 2020.

However, after just 1 season, Irsay was tired of the plan and decided to move on, despite how Ballard and Reich felt. They had a plan and Irsay turned away from it after just 1 year.

So, how do you know that if things went badly this year, Irsay wouldn't abandon the plan again and decided on a new GM and new coach. The answer is that you don't. It's likely that he sticks with the plan, but you don't know that with any level of certainty.

As Mike Tyson famously said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It had nothing to do with Cap space. Both teams offered the same or more contracts and neither one wanted to stay on their respected teams

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

This can go both ways, though.

Was Irsay aware of the rumors about Wentz while he was with the Eagles? Was he aware about the rumors about the lack of leadership? Was Irsay aware of the poor performance by Wentz in 2020?

Like all of us casual fans, I'm sure Irsay was aware of all of this and yet he still signed off on going after Wentz. I'm sure at that time, the plan was to be patient with Wentz and let him join the team and learn how to lead. They would have to be patient and slowly see progress with Wentz, which they did, compared to 2020.

However, after just 1 season, Irsay was tired of the plan and decided to move on, despite how Ballard and Reich felt. They had a plan and Irsay turned away from it after just 1 year.

So, how do you know that if things went badly this year, Irsay wouldn't abandon the plan again and decided on a new GM and new coach. The answer is that you don't. It's likely that he sticks with the plan, but you don't know that with any level of certainty.

As Mike Tyson famously said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

I think at the time Wentz was the best option so Irsay rolled with it knowing Reich had coached that guy before.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think at the time Wentz was the best option so Irsay rolled with it knowing Reich had coached that guy before.  

They gave him a long-term contract. That's an indication of a long term plan, right? It's now clear that Irsay shipped Wentz out of town, despite the owner, GM, and coach all being in agreement of this plan initially. 

The bottom line is that despite Ballard's and Reich's feelings on the situation, Irsay made the decision to change the plan. If he can do that in this instance, then my point stands. They can all have a plan on how they will move forward together, but if things go badly, of course Irsay, the owner, will reserve the right to change his mind and abort the plan.

7 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

They gave him a long-term contract. That's an indication of a long term plan, right? It's now clear that Irsay shipped Wentz out of town, despite the owner, GM, and coach all being in agreement of this plan initially. 

The bottom line is that despite Ballard's and Reich's feelings on the situation, Irsay made the decision to change the plan. If he can do that in this instance, then my point stands. They can all have a plan on how they will move forward together, but if things go badly, of course Irsay, the owner, will reserve the right to change his mind and abort the plan.

Not disagreeing with you, I am just saying why Irsay rolled with it. Matt Ryan is better so I am happy with the way it worked out. We wasted a year but luckily Taylor, Pittman, Leonard, and Nelson are still real young and gained experience off of last year.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know.   But wasn’t Savage a surprise first round pick?    I don’t want a high pick being used on a safety, especially not this draft when I think there are other, more pressing needs.    But others might disagree with that….  

Kyle Hamilton looks pretty darn good but I doubt we can get to him

22 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I don't think they gave him a long term contract, did they?  I remember folks saying if it doesn't work out the Colts can walk away without any cost after 2 years?  

But they walked away sooner.  Obviously something didn't work out they way they planned, but there wasn't a long term deal, say 6 years with the majority guaranteed or anything.  Not that I remember.

But I do agree that Irsay can change his mind and his plan whenever he wants.  He's the owner.

6 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I don't think they gave him a long term contract, did they?  I remember folks saying if it doesn't work out the Colts can walk away without any cost after 2 years?  

But they walked away sooner.  Obviously something didn't work out they way they planned, but there wasn't a long term deal, say 6 years with the majority guaranteed or anything.  Not that I remember.

But I do agree that Irsay can change his mind and his plan whenever he wants.  He's the owner.

I believe Wentz played on the contract given to him by Philly which had opt outs

23 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I believe that it was a 4-year contract. 

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

Kyle Hamilton looks pretty darn good but I doubt we can get to him

Yeah, I do like Dax Hill for our system if safety is being considered. Having said that, given the run we had on OTs last year in the 2nd round, it seems like a good OT might still be available to groom for the future at LT at No.42, which could be why Ballard moved up to No.42 from No.47.

It might not be an LT ready to start right away but in a year, we will be looking good with that pick. At least that is my thought process.

But, the famous but, if Ballard gets offered a 2nd and a 3rd by a playoff team like KC Chiefs to move up from No.50 to No.42 (picks No.50 and No.94 or No.103), don't be surprised if he moves back. 

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

I'm sure they thought through many options, including doing nothing and waiting until 2023 to draft a QB.  These guys spend huge hours doing their jobs - they live and breath football.  I just don't believe the plan was to wait and get lucky.  I would think the plan was to look at all options as they became available and assess the feasibility, cost, and potential outcome of each option based on the knowledge they had on each possible option.

I think it's interesting that Keefer's article said something about how the acquisition of Ryan gave CB some breathing room in being able to wait until 2023 to find a QB and not having to "force it" this draft....implying that CB might have.  It reads like it was Keefer's opinion, but I assume the opinion was based upon his conversations with the FO about how they were approaching the QB issue before Ryan became available.

DW going to ATL wasn't on anybody's radar, not even DW, until ATL reached out to him after the process of talking to teams began.  That's what made Ryan available.  That surprising action by ATL that emerged from nowhere was nothing other than pure luck for the Colts.

The plan was obviously to wait for some other team(s) to do something, probably fail at something, then swoop in like a vulture to pick at the carcass of somebodies failed efforts.

Unless every other team did things smoothly enough to where they did not fail.  That's when the Colts would have had to sign Mariota or Winston, and they knew that.

1 minute ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

Hahaha how many receivers does one team need?  I find it wild how fast this league transitioned into practically a pass only league

AFC trade wars, and Les Snead and Sean McVay thinking in the back of their heads "we know, we started this..." :) 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think it's interesting that Keefer's article said something about how the acquisition of Ryan gave CB some breathing room in being able to wait until 2023 to find a QB and not having to "force it" this draft....implying that CB might have.  It reads like it was Keefer's opinion, but I assume the opinion was based upon his conversations with the FO about how they were approaching the QB issue before Ryan became available.

DW going to ATL wasn't on anybody's radar, not even DW, until ATL reached out to him after the process of talking to teams began.  That's what made Ryan available.  That surprising action by ATL that emerged from nowhere was nothing other than pure luck for the Colts.

The plan was obviously to wait for some other team(s) to do something, probably fail at something, then swoop in like a vulture to pick at the carcass of somebodies failed efforts.

Unless every other team did things smoothly enough to where they did not fail.  That's when the Colts would have had to sign Mariota or Winston, and they knew that.

I agree with all of that.

So they had a plan.  And the plan had some backup options they could wait on.  And Keefer implying CB might be forced in this year's draft to get a QB is just that - implying.  We don't know what conversations Ballard, Reich and Irsay have had.

For me I am glad we picked up Ryan but not thrilled.  I still see him as a temporary solution although I hope he has at least 3 really good years left.  I would have been much happier to get a guy like him when we signed Rivers.  But I appreciate that they saw an opportunity now and took it for a good price.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I do like Dax Hill for our system if safety is being considered. Having said that, given the run we had on OTs last year in the 2nd round, it seems like a good OT might still be available to groom for the future at LT at No.42, which could be why Ballard moved up to No.42 from No.47.

It might not be an LT ready to start right away but in a year, we will be looking good with that pick. At least that is my thought process. But, the famous but, if Ballard gets offered a 2nd and a 3rd by a playoff team like KC Chiefs to move up from No.50 to No.42 (picks No.50 and No.94 or No.103), don't be surprised if he moves back. 

Im just kind of getting familiarized with guys literally today.  The write up doesn't necessarily match what Im seeing on film so far but JT Woods from Baylor has my attention.  He makes a lot of plays/picks on the ball in coverage.   NIce size and speeed. 

Archived