Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What do you have against Jarvis Landry? We need a possession WR. He even blocks. He's a better version of Pascal

He’s dramatically over paid for who and what he is.    He gets cut by Cleveland because he makes too much (roughly $15m more) and I read he wants $20 mill per.   He just fired his agent for not getting him that. 

To me, he’s barely a $10 mill a year guy.   Look at his career numbers.   I think it’s 11 yards per reception.  Those are tight end numbers.   

The Colts need a speed guy to loosen up the defense.  The guy we wanted Parris Campbell to be.  Pittman is our possession receiver.   We need a threat, a weapon.  Landry is not that guy.   He’s never been that guy.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s dramatically over paid for who and what he is.    He gets cut by Cleveland because he makes too much (roughly $15m more) and I read he wants $20 mill per.   He just fired his agent for not getting him that. 

To me, he’s barely a $10 mill a year guy.   Look at his career numbers.   I think it’s 11 yards per reception.  Those are tight end numbers.   

The Colts need a speed guy to loosen up the defense.  The guy we wanted Parris Campbell to be.  Pittman is our possession receiver.   We need a threat, a weapon.  Landry is not that guy.   He’s never been that guy.

Hopefully PC can stay healthy 

Praying I Hope GIF by The Paley Center for Media

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Pitt can be a lot more then a possession WR. This might sound over the top, but I think can be as good as Mike Evans one day. As far as right now, the reason I want Landry is because he's a savvy vet who knows how to get open and can get you those hard yards on third down and in the red zone. Price wise, yes that is a concern which is why I think Landry needs to temper his value and not get caught up in all this overpriced nonsense.

We have a deep wr group in Coutee,Harris,Big Mike, Patmon......what we dont have is a dependable #2 but with a deep wr pool in this draft we should get this. I agree with most Wentz didnt let Patmon and Mike to develop because was too inaccurate, he tried and even had Patmon at his off season workouts but he will never be the type of QB to elevate his wr's. 

5 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Bradbury juice? 

I don't know. 

Can’t be Bradberry he’s not a FA.  The tweet implies both players have offers in front of them.  They just need to sign.  Pretty much has to be Landry and Tyrann.  I wouldn’t pay any attention to the 20m noise.  Just posturing.  I can see him signing with us with incentives.  Probably one year.  I think he would see the value of having Ryan as his QB.  JMO 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Colts need more than 1 WR though.

Im ALL IN on drafting a speed threat/weapon. With the cap space the Colts have left, still need some more help than just 1 drafted WR. Landry or Hilton would be a fine fill in for a year.

1.) MPJ

2.) Landry/Hilton

3.) Drafted WR/Speed threat

4.) Campbell??? Almost can’t even count at this point.

5.) Dulin

6.) Strachan/Patmon

Also going to need another TE somewhere.

Here are some exerts from his zaks story. Remember when we said he had no plan.

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Let’s just call it what it is. They got lucky.

“Damn right we did,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard said Monday, peeling back the curtain on a wild few weeks for his franchise, a stretch that saw it punt on the Carson Wentz experiment after just one season and, somewhat stunningly — even to Indianapolis — stumble upon an available upgrade in Matt Ryan just 12 days later.

“To sit here and say we just had a flat-out plan that the QB (position) was going to work out, we didn’t,” Ballard said Monday during a break from the NFL owners’ meetings in Palm Beach.

“Look, it’s going to work out,” Irsay kept reminding them. “Just have some patience.”

“Continuing to force that decision down your throat just to prove yourself right, it’s just not how we operate,” Ballard said.

We didn’t want to have seller’s remorse,” Reich added, noting that the three of them — after some lengthy, heated discussions — eventually got on the same page. “I think we already determined that was not gonna happen.”

Privately, they never held any serious interest in Mitch Trubisky. They studied San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo but were never convinced he was the right play, worried about, among other things, his offseason shoulder surgery. The Colts never made a trade offer. Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield, who was interested in Indianapolis while the Browns made their run at Deshaun Watson, was never a target, either.

“Once that became an option, that became the No. 1 option the whole way, as far as I’m concerned,” Reich said. “Now, you always want the opportunity to go younger, but we didn’t have a lot of options.”

No, they didn’t. If they hadn’t landed Ryan, the Colts were looking at either Winston or Mariota lining up under center next fall.

Don’t forget we have our first back next year and probably 2 seconds. Tons of ammo to move up.

Ryan’s arrival affords the team the chance to take a quarterback in the next two drafts — as opposed to forcing one this year — and my bet is that move comes in 2023, when the Colts have more capital at their disposal, including a first-round pick.

“Frank is a really good head coach — this guy’s good,” the GM said. “We’ve had all these different quarterbacks. That falls on my shoulders. I’m never going to blame him for that.”

On WR

“Do we need to add? Yes,” Ballard said. “But do I feel totally lost and helpless? No.”

woah good news
“Nyheim we need to use more,” Ballard said. “Frank knows that, and I think they will. They’re going to play him more in the slot.”

20 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

“Damn right we did,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard said Monday, peeling back the curtain on a wild few weeks for his franchise, a stretch that saw it punt on the Carson Wentz experiment after just one season and, somewhat stunningly — even to Indianapolis — stumble upon an available upgrade in Matt Ryan just 12 days later.

“To sit here and say we just had a flat-out plan that the QB (position) was going to work out, we didn’t,” Ballard said Monday during a break from the NFL owners’ meetings in Palm Beach.

“Look, it’s going to work out,” Irsay kept reminding them. “Just have some patience.”

“Continuing to force that decision down your throat just to prove yourself right, it’s just not how we operate,” Ballard said.

We didn’t want to have seller’s remorse,” Reich added, noting that the three of them — after some lengthy, heated discussions — eventually got on the same page. “I think we already determined that was not gonna happen.”

Privately, they never held any serious interest in Mitch Trubisky. They studied San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo but were never convinced he was the right play, worried about, among other things, his offseason shoulder surgery. The Colts never made a trade offer. Cleveland’s Baker Mayfield, who was interested in Indianapolis while the Browns made their run at Deshaun Watson, was never a target, either.

“Once that became an option, that became the No. 1 option the whole way, as far as I’m concerned,” Reich said. “Now, you always want the opportunity to go younger, but we didn’t have a lot of options.”

No, they didn’t. If they hadn’t landed Ryan, the Colts were looking at either Winston or Mariota lining up under center next fall.

Don’t forget we have our first back next year and probably 2 seconds. Tons of ammo to move up.

Ryan’s arrival affords the team the chance to take a quarterback in the next two drafts — as opposed to forcing one this year — and my bet is that move comes in 2023, when the Colts have more capital at their disposal, including a first-round pick.

“Frank is a really good head coach — this guy’s good,” the GM said. “We’ve had all these different quarterbacks. That falls on my shoulders. I’m never going to blame him for that.”

On WR

“Do we need to add? Yes,” Ballard said. “But do I feel totally lost and helpless? No.”

woah good news
“Nyheim we need to use more,” Ballard said. “Frank knows that, and I think they will. They’re going to play him more in the slot.”

So your first reaction was Holy Crap!  Those quotes!

What surprised you?  What was unexpected? I’m glad Ballard and Reich went public, but I didn’t read anything that caught me off guard.  Not a thing. 

This is business in the NFL at the highest level. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Destin Adams is a fan with a podcast and a Twitter account.  Kyle Adams is just a fan.  

The answer to the question about WRs is (A) the Colts like their young receivers more than anyone else and (B) the free agent wide receivers we looked at turned out to be too expensive for us and (C) some FA’s wouldn’t seriously consider the Colts when we didn’t have a quarterback.    A, B, and C. 

If the colts do get Tyrann Mathieu and James Bradberry, defense could easily be top 5

CB - Rodgers

SS - Mathieu

FS - Blackmon

Slot - Moore

CB - Bradberry

LB - Leonard

LB/Box S - Okereke/Willis

Leo - Yannick

NT - Stewart

3T - Buckner

DE - Paye

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

If the colts do get Tyrann Mathieu and James Bradberry, defense could easily be top 5

CB - Rodgers

SS - Mathieu

FS - Blackmon

Slot - Moore

CB - Bradberry

LB - Leonard

Leo - Yannick

NT - Stewart

3T - Buckner

DE - Paye

I'd like that defense a lot.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

CB - Rodgers

SS - Mathieu

FS - Blackmon

Slot - Moore

CB - Bradberry

LB - Leonard

Leo - Yannick

NT - Stewart

3T - Buckner

DE - Paye

I doubt they get both because of money but that would be nice.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I doubt they get both because of money but that would be nice.

Cap space is really non-existent. Many teams like the Chiefs and Rams are proof of that. You wanna make space, you can one way or another.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Cap space is really non-existent. Many teams like the Chiefs and Rams are proof of that. You wanna make space, you can one way or another.

I guess the better way to put it is, how the Colts use the salary cap I doubt we get both

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would prefer to just get Bradberry and a mid-round rookie. Start Bradberry with Rodgers and Moore IMO. 

I just like big body corners. Rogers is okay out there but i still like him better as a nickle

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

On WR

woah good news

I guess that's why we aren't investing too much in WRs.  Gonna let Cambell, Hines, and Coutee run the slot while Pittman, Strachan, and Patmon man the outside.  Considering the draft, I guess I see what Ballard is thinking

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

CB - Rodgers

SS - Mathieu

FS - Blackmon

Slot - Moore

CB - Bradberry

LB - Leonard

Leo - Yannick

NT - Stewart

3T - Buckner

DE - Paye

With the possible jump from Paye and odeyengbo, this defense would make me sleep soundly at night.  Leonard would be licking his chops every Sunday with this much help

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

CB - Rodgers

SS - Mathieu

FS - Blackmon

Slot - Moore

CB - Bradberry

LB - Leonard

Leo - Yannick

NT - Stewart

3T - Buckner

DE - Paye

Both?!?    You think we have a shot at both Mathieu AND Bradbury?!?     Wowza!!

You're hoping for Christmas in April!   I’d be thrilled with Bradbury.    Mathieu seems like a pipe-dream.  

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Both?!?    You think we have a shot at both Mathieu AND Bradbury?!?     Wowza!!

You're hoping for Christmas in April!   I’d be thrilled with Bradbury.    Mathieu seems like a pipe-dream.  

Well according to Jason Spears, Colts have a contract offer for Mathieu. As far as Bradberry goes, Giants don't have much leverage as their just trying to get off the contract. No team is gonna bargain with them without eating the dead cap.

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well according to Jason Spears, Colts have a contract offer to Mathieu. As far as Bradberry goes, Giants don't have much leverage as their just trying to get off the contract. No team is gonna bargain with them without eating dead cap.

The leverage the Giants have is that multiple teams are said to want Bradbury.   So the teams are bidding against themselves.   Still, I like our chances. 

Im not the least bit sold on Mathieu.  I think he’s going to want top dollar as he’s still under 30.   So, I’m guessing he’s looking for at least $10 mill per, which would be a pay cut from what he’s used to.  My guess is he’s interested in the Colts driving up the price, and since we rarely play that game, I don’t see this happening.   I’d be happy to be wrong.   

Still, even if I’m wrong and we’re serious players, to get both we’d likely have to be on the hook for roughly $15 mill per for the duo.   And since we’ve only got $21-ish left, I’d be beyond stunned to see that happening. 

Could we re-work several contracts?   Sure.  But I can’t help but notice that we’ve only re-worked Ryan, and not anyone else as of yet, and we still haven’t done our deal with Quenton yet.   Feels like we’re behind the curve financially from where I thought we’d be. 

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The leverage the Giants have is that multiple teams are said to want Bradbury.   So the teams are bidding against themselves.   Still, I like our chances. 

Im not the least bit sold on Mathieu.  I think he’s going to want top dollar as he’s still under 30.   So, I’m guessing he’s looking for at least $10 mill per, which would be a pay cut from what he’s used to.  My guess is he’s interested in the Colts driving up the price, and since we rarely play that game, I don’t see this happening.   I’d be happy to be wrong.   

Still, even if I’m wrong and we’re serious players, to get both we’d likely have to be on the hook for roughly $15 mill per for the duo.   And since we’ve only got $21-ish left, I’d be beyond stunned to see that happening. 

Could we re-work several contracts?   Sure.  But I can’t help but notice that we’ve only re-worked Ryan, and not anyone else as of yet, and we still haven’t done our deal with Quenton yet.   Feels like we’re behind the curve financially from where I thought we’d be. 

The colts are going to need to re-work contracts anyway. We currently only have 59 players on the roster so unless Ballard is gonna bring in a butt ton of UDFAs, we need to create cap space to fill the roster

5 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

On WR

woah good news

We got lucky to get Matt. It fell our way when the Falcons wanted Watson and it failed. I am sure Matt wasn't happy at that point and wanted out. Where the Falcons did us a solid was, they traded Matt to the team he wanted to go to and it was us for only a 3rd. Mariota or Baker wasn't taking us anywhere. At least with Matt we can win the division and he gives us a punchers chance to get a sb.

Archived