Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

22 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I agree with all of that.

So they had a plan.  And the plan had some backup options they could wait on.  And Keefer implying CB might be forced in this year's draft to get a QB is just that - implying.  We don't know what conversations Ballard, Reich and Irsay have had.

For me I am glad we picked up Ryan but not thrilled.  I still see him as a temporary solution although I hope he has at least 3 really good years left.  I would have been much happier to get a guy like him when we signed Rivers.  But I appreciate that they saw an opportunity now and took it for a good price.

Sure.  The plan was to wait for other teams to do stuff, then pick at the leftovers.  Hopefully a leftover that was a casualty of some other team's actions would provide a better QB option than the free agents that were going to be leftover.  I guess you can call that a plan.  Ballard admitted as much.

As far as the 2022 draft.  I agree that it read like Keefer's opinion, but there is some credibility that CB was indeed going to "force it"...or was thinking about it...because we also heard previously that they like three QBs in the draft.  Pickett, Willis, and Ridder.  And then after they acquired Ryan, it was then reported that the Colts didn't bother to attend any QBs pro day.

Prior to getting Ryan, they were interested in 2022 QBs, and after getting Ryan they were not.   Just data to connect the dots and gives some cred to Keefer's opinion.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

Hahaha how many receivers does one team need?  I find it wild how fast this league transitioned into practically a pass only league

It's a passing league now and teams need top end receivers if you plan on contending. Sadly, I can think of one GM that can't grasp this concept.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

I don't think they've ever said they were going to do that. Utilize him more? Yes, but I haven't seen where they said they intend to use him out of the slot on a regular basis. I feel like when he's been asked about it in the past, Reich has said that wouldn't be the case. Unless you read something recently that's contrary his previous statements.

In Keefer a article he had a quote from Ballard that said this. I posted it with all the other exerts.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sure.  The plan was to wait for other teams to do stuff, then pick at the leftovers.  Hopefully a leftover that was a casualty of some other team's actions would provide a better QB option than the free agents that were going to be leftover.  I guess you can call that a plan.  Ballard admitted as much.

As far as the 2022 draft.  I agree that it read like Keefer's opinion, but there is some credibility that CB was indeed going to "force it"...or was thinking about it...because we also heard previously that they like three QBs in the draft.  Pickett, Willis, and Ridder.  And then after they acquired Ryan, it was then reported that the Colts didn't bother to attend any QBs pro day.

Prior to getting Ryan, they were interested in 2022 QBs, and after getting Ryan they were not.   Just data to connect the dots and gives some cred to Keefer's opinion.

They were at Willis's pro day.  Ridder too I believe 

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I do like Dax Hill for our system if safety is being considered. Having said that, given the run we had on OTs last year in the 2nd round, it seems like a good OT might still be available to groom for the future at LT at No.42, which could be why Ballard moved up to No.42 from No.47.

It might not be an LT ready to start right away but in a year, we will be looking good with that pick. At least that is my thought process.

But, the famous but, if Ballard gets offered a 2nd and a 3rd by a playoff team like KC Chiefs to move up from No.50 to No.42 (picks No.50 and No.94 or No.103), don't be surprised if he moves back. 

Another guy I really like so far as a FS is Jaquon Brisker from Penn State.  Sorta reminds me of Bethea.

I don't think it would take him long to come in and be productive. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Kyle Hamilton looks pretty darn good but I doubt we can get to him

We have absolutely no chance at Hamilton. He's most likely a top 5-10 pick. He's really good though.

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im just kind of getting familiarized with guys literally today.  The write up doesn't necessarily match what Im seeing on film so far but JT Woods from Baylor has my attention.  He makes a lot of plays/picks on the ball in coverage.   NIce size and speeed. 

JT Woods is an intriguing prospect. Seems a bit raw, but he's a hell of an athlete at safety.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Another guy I really like so far as a FS is Jaquon Brisker from Penn State.  Sorta reminds me of Bethea.

I like him, but I don't see him as a CF type of guy, more of an interchangeable FS/SS that is a bit better suited for SS.

22 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

In Keefer a article he had a quote from Ballard that said this. I posted it with all the other exerts.

I saw the first part of that about getting him more touches and somehow completely negated the 2nd part about the slot. I see it now, thanks!

1 minute ago, Shive said:

We have absolutely no chance at Hamilton. He's most likely a top 5-10 pick. He's really good though.

JT Woods is an intriguing prospect. Seems a bit raw, but he's a hell of an athlete at safety.

I like him, but I don't see him as a CF type of guy, more of an interchangeable FS/SS that is a bit better suited for SS.

I saw the first part of that about getting him more touches and somehow completely negated the 2nd part about the slot. I see it now, thanks!

I don't agree. You want Brisker in coverage not in the box

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes.  You obviously know more than the front office

I believe that other GMs have proven it's a passing league. Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Bengals, Bills, Patriots, Ravens, Browns (getting Watson now), all have franchise QBs and are building around them now. That's just the AFC. 

Ballard may know more than us fans, but he has shown he doesn't know more than the average GM. BTW, Ballard traded for Matt Ryan, so he agrees with @cdgacoltsfan that it's a passing league in at least some way. He just doesn't believe in elite receivers, which other teams and GMs have proven you need.

By all means though, continue to believe Ballard knows best.

49 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I agree with all of that.

So they had a plan.  And the plan had some backup options they could wait on.  And Keefer implying CB might be forced in this year's draft to get a QB is just that - implying.  We don't know what conversations Ballard, Reich and Irsay have had.

For me I am glad we picked up Ryan but not thrilled.  I still see him as a temporary solution although I hope he has at least 3 really good years left.  I would have been much happier to get a guy like him when we signed Rivers.  But I appreciate that they saw an opportunity now and took it for a good price.

The belief that the brain trust did not have a multi faceted plan is imo blatantly wrong

daniel cormier false statement GIF by UFC

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

JT Woods is a guy with a lot of great traits who you want to take the time and groom.  I wouldn't necessarily say take him with a high draft pick. because he has some issues with busted alignments and coverages.  Probably somewhere around 3rd or 4th round maybe.  He kind of reminds me of Derwin James a little bit.  He's got that size and track speed like him. 

33 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They were at Willis's pro day.  Ridder too I believe 

I had read that the scouts skipped all of them.  Can't always trust the source though.  I assume they have no intention of trading up for Willis at this point.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think the knock on him is that he gets dinged up and out of the game. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Woah who could the young QB have been that would of required that much draft capital. Had to be Murray. I can’t think of anyone else.

Tua, Jordan Love, Lance, or Hurts. I think it could have been Watson too since the Colts were in his original top 5

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Tua, Jordan Love, Lance, or Hurts. I think it could have been Watson too since the Colts were in his original top 5

None of those guys would of required multiple first round picks except Lance and SF Wasnt trading him. My first is Murray but AZ smoothed things over with him.

Watson  makes sense

4 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Tua, Jordan Love, Lance, or Hurts. I think it was Watson if the Colts put up 3 FRP

Tua, Love, lance and Hurts would not have cost multiple first rounders If they were even available (I am mostly talking about Lance with the availability statement)

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

None of those guys would of required multiple first round picks except Lance and SF Wasnt trading him. My first is Murray but AZ smoothed things over with him.

The other one would have been that’s what they were going to offer for Watson had the Texans not said not interested.

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe that other GMs have proven it's a passing league. Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Bengals, Bills, Patriots, Ravens, Browns (getting Watson now), all have franchise QBs and are building around them now. That's just the AFC. 

Ballard may know more than us fans, but he has shown he doesn't know more than the average GM. BTW, Ballard traded for Matt Ryan, so he agrees with @cdgacoltsfan that it's a passing league in at least some way. He just doesn't believe in elite receivers, which other teams and GMs have proven you need.

By all means though, continue to believe Ballard knows best.

Ok.  Thanks.   I will.   You keep thinking it's like Madden franchise mode

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It was probably Murray.

Probably Murray could be Watson in that he wasn’t available to them.  The last one could have been Carr depending on how Irsay defines “young” but that’s a reach on the age and the multiple first round picks part.  Murray or Watson make way more sense.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That’s the key, Irsay understands they aren’t perfect, fans here often expect them to be and react that if they aren’t they aren’t good enough.  They often do this with the benefit with of hindsight as well.  However, no coach and GM are perfect.  Irsay has seen bad ones of both and I think he knows when he has good ones and that good ones are hard to find which is why he’s not in a rush to show them the door as a result.  Yes he COULD do better but odds are he’s going to do worse.  

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

breaking news GIF by ATTN:
The owners overwhelmingly voted to change the playoff OT rules

You mean the vote that was being reported was going to be hard to get the votes for lol,  man the media loves to pretend there is drama that just isn’t there.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s the key, Irsay understands they aren’t perfect, fans here often expect them to be and react that if they aren’t they aren’t good enough.  They often do this with the benefit with of hindsight as well.  However, no coach and GM are perfect.  Irsay has seen bad ones of both and I think he knows when he has good ones and that good ones are hard to find which is why he’s not in a hurray to show them the door as a result.  Yes he COULD do better but odds are he’s going to do worse.  

You mean the vote that was being reported was going to be hard to get the votes for lol,  man the media loves to pretend there is drama that just isn’t there.

I think the was 29-3 but My morning has been focused on the WNBL

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We just re-structured at least one deal, if not more last year.   And I wouldn’t rule out doing it this year as the need arises.   We’re down to 21/22 mill and will likely need more.  

Notice teams like New Orleans have to cut/trade players because their way over the cap.   A number of years ago, the Saints went 7-9 three straight years.  They were in salary cap Hell.   Sean Payton is a great coach and Drew Brees was at his peak.   But they had trouble escaping the financial mess they created for themselves. 

Im just saying at some point the bill comes due and there are consequences.   

I don’t disagree with you but you are missing the point. It’s not doing it as needs arise. The point was like the Rams we just do it all now and spend the money on other key guys. Similar to the Rams as was said. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

@NewColtsFan.  Perhaps my comment was too abstract for you to not be confused.  And this one still might be.

It's becoming apparent that CBs plan is to maintain enough cap space in order to be in a position to get good players that must be discarded from other teams because of their cap management bind.  The Colts acquired Ryan primarily because we are one of the few teams that had the cap space.  No wonder Ryan picked the Colts...as did Mayfield apparently...duh.

Now we may be signing Mathieu, because of KCs cap problem.  We may be trading for Bradberry because NYG doesn't want the contract, and will force the NYG to eat the dead cap...which is still a savings to them.  We discarded Wentz, but made WAS take our cap issue.

Picking up other teams discarded players, that is akin to a circling vulture or a garbage collector.   Not that they are bad players, and you can certainly find good players that way, but its not much different than finding treasures by dumpster diving for other people's discards.  Ever watched the show "Storage Wars"?  LOL.

Its been said that Ballard shops at Dollar Tree.  I think Goodwill is a better analogy.

I think your first post was fine right up until the last sentence.    You know, the shot you gave Ballard about failing to look forward.  

Because not only is that 100 percent false,  what you yourself wrote and described IS FORWARD LOOKING.   It’s 180 degrees opposite if your view.   Ballard looked ahead and saw what no one else here could do, see the teams that were in trouble and determine who was likely to hit the market, either by trade or becoming a FA.  

Now, here, in this post, I’m again amused that you write that the reason Ryan and Mayfield wanted to come here is….   Cap Space. 

That’s the reason.   Cap Space. 

It couldn’t be that we have a good team, a well run franchise or a good head coach with a demonstrated record of success with every quarterback he’s worked with.   No.  It couldn’t be those reasons.   The only reason you gave us….   Cap Space. 

Do you see why I view what you write about Ballard and the Colts with great suspicion?  

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You folks are humorus. It is not difficult to understand that there is a time to consider putting yourself in roster and cap he!!. 
 If you can't see that we haven't been in position at QB since Luck left, or with roster experience levels in the same period (Castonzo quitting was huge btw), only then can you come up with this silliness.
 New QB, new DC, and a lot of holes. It is another developmental year.

We are likely to be as good or better than half the other teams that are striving to become SB contenders. 

You keep building the roster, train them up, and maybe someday you hit the mark enough to make a run. We have a number of high quality pieces but need to get considerably better as individuals and as units.  

I am a FAN of the Colts and enjoy the journey, through highs and even Mannings 7 very sad one and dones.

Well first read what I responded to because your nonsense response was not needed and didn’t pertain to anything. Good day sir!

Archived