Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would be fair compensation for Matt Ryan?

I know this is being generally discussed elsewhere but as the Matt Ryan to Colts possibility heats up, I’d like to hear the Board’s specific thoughts on what the Colts should give up to get Ryan in a trade. 
To me, it would seem the Falcons have to move quickly to sign Watson, meaning they have to have a trade for Ryan in place to make the deal work for them. They can’t mess around haggling over compensation or they risk losing Watson to NO. 
So, here are my thoughts:

1. The Colts are one of the few if only QB needy teams that have the cap space to take Ryan and would actually want him. 

2. The Colts have other options, meaning the Falcons don’t have much leverage. 
3. So, IMO, the compensation should be minimal, with perhaps a low draft pick (5?) headed to Atlanta this year with a mid rounder (4?) coming back to the Colts next year. Period. 
I know this return to the Falcons may seem low, but the Colts should be in the catbird’s seat here, and if I’m right, they can low ball Atlanta and get their QB at minimal cost. 
Thoughts?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spitballing here. Maybe a 6th this year and a 4th next year. Nothing in the 1st three rounds.

As far as contract structure, i'd expect that whatever we do (whether ATL pays the entire salary or splits it), we have a quick out next year. I'd also expect that Ryan thinks he is QB1 but knows that we're going to get our future QB in the draft this year or next.

Basically, ATL or SF are going to hate Chris Ballard because they'll see what he got for Wentz and want him to match that but he's not going to.

Taking on that contract and the Falcon's need to move on it should provide favorable trade conditions.  I'd agree with avoiding and Day 1-2 picks.  Maybe a 4th and a 5th split between this year and next year.  I'm not personally a fan of trading for Matt Ryan (or really any QB right now, tbh) but if we did then it'd have to be minimal trade compensation.  We need to either draft a QB this year or hold on/build up our assets for next year to maneuver in the 2023 draft.  I'm patient enough to wait if needed.  Playing the FA/trade QB game isn't typically my preference.

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

R. Wilson goes for a bounty of picks at 33 and A. Rodgers would too, at 38.

Sorry, the Colts aren’t getting Ryan cheap folks. 

Matt Ryan is not a top 5 QB like Rodgers and Wilson. He's not even top 15

I really think we can get him for very minimal cost.  We are the only team who can take his contract.  I would guess a fourth this year.  The most I am willing to give is a 3rd this year.  Frankly, he has not been great recently.  His last playoff  was five years ago and his last pro bowl was 6 years ago.   He is like Phil Rivers in 2019.  

Ryan is a statue in the backfield and ranked #22 by PFF for 2021. The lat time he had a 100 plus passing rating in a game was 2018. We should not give up anything in the first 3 rounds. Why do it, we are not contenders next year with Ryan. Save the Draft capitol. Sign a free agent or roll with Sam for 1 year. 

5 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Ryan is a statue in the backfield and ranked #22 by PFF for 2021. The lat time he had a 100 plus passing rating in a game was 2018. We should not give up anything in the first 3 rounds. Why do it, we are not contenders next year with Ryan. Save the Draft capitol. Sign a free agent or roll with Sam for 1 year. 

What free agent? You're basically just saying F the 2022 season. Go and actually watch Matt Ryan. He's not washed. Do you have any idea how bad the falcons were last year supporting cast and defense wise? Cordaralle flipping Patterson had to have a career year for them to win.

Matt Ryan doesnt move the needle in the stacked AFC. Especially when you consider the massive cap hit he would have on our cap. Kiss the rest of FA goodbye. Then you have to give up picks for him? 

Dude is a statue, we dont have a LT. Our starting RG is gone. 2nd best WR is our WR coach. 

Fair compensation isnt anywhere close to what the Colts should be willing to give up. I wouldnt mind Ryan if he cost a 4th and Atlanta ate his salary. Thats not happening though. 

Give me a guy like Winston. We can still be competitive, keep our draft picks, and use them (along with that potential Washington 2nd) to move up and get the future. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

What free agent? You're basically just saying F the 2022 season. Go and actually watch Matt Ryan. He's not washed. Do you have any idea how bad the falcons were last year supporting cast and defense wise? Cordaralle flipping Patterson had to have a career year for them to win.

Possibly Winston on a short term deal. We do not even have a proven LT to support a immobile QB. The bigger picture is colts need to build their draft capitol to at least make it possible to move up in the draft next year. Regardless of how you look at at it whoever we bring in now is going to be another short term answer. As far as the 2022 season, the team should have put themselves into position to have a deal in place to replace Wentz before they showed him the door. That is what Atlanta is doing. Instead our fate rests on where Deshaun Watson wants to play football . Not ideal.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Right, and Watson is dumb enough to prefer that situation to N.O. because he was a ballboy for the birds 20 years ago?  

Tyquan Lewis, Kenny Moore, a 5th round comp pick, a 5th round pick next year; two ham sandwiches and a bottle of Coke (since its ATL).  

We would be taking ATLs salary cap hit so they could accommodate DW and their new franchise guy.

There are not many teams that have the space for Ryan.

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Possibly Winston on a short term deal. We do not even have a proven LT to support a immobile QB. The bigger picture is colts need to build their draft capitol to at least make it possible to move up in the draft next year. Regardless of how you look at at it whoever we bring in now is going to be another short term answer. As far as the 2022 season, the team should have put themselves into position to have a deal in place to replace Wentz before they showed him the door. That is what Atlanta is doing. Instead our fate rests on where Deshaun Watson wants to play football . Not ideal.

I'm not putting a QB with a 30 pick season in charge of my team. As far as LT goes, there are still options out there and it's not signing Matt Ryan destroys our Cap space. It's only 23.5 mil. And if we still need more space, we can restructure Buck's and Kelly's contracts.

8 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

Matt Ryan doesnt move the needle in the stacked AFC. Especially when you consider the massive cap hit he would have on our cap. Kiss the rest of FA goodbye. Then you have to give up picks for him? 

Dude is a statue, we dont have a LT. Our starting RG is gone. 2nd best WR is our WR coach. 

Fair compensation isnt anywhere close to what the Colts should be willing to give up. I wouldnt mind Ryan if he cost a 4th and Atlanta ate his salary. Thats not happening though. 

Give me a guy like Winston. We can still be competitive, keep our draft picks, and use them (along with that potential Washington 2nd) to move up and get the future. 

We know how many times Wentz had to get out of trouble because our LT Fisher was on skates. We can't afford a statue there, a guy that can somewhat use his legs like Winston makes the most sense to me. I will take Sean Payton's words after working with Winston the last couple of years and not get carried away with the lazy narrative about his INTs. Both Rivers and Wentz cut down their INTs after playing in Reich's offense. That is proof enough for me, between Sean Payton's assessment and Reich improving QB numbers for Rivers and Wentz.

6 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Right, and Watson is dumb enough to prefer that situation to N.O. because he was a ballboy for the birds 20 years ago?  

I honestly don't know what the falcons are selling, but apparently it's working. Perhaps a certain faculty that starts with an S, but this is a family forum haha

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

We know how many times Wentz had to get out of trouble because our LT Fisher was on skates. We can't afford a statue there, a guy that can somewhat use his legs like Winston makes the most sense to me. 

Wentz never had any pocket presence. Matt Ryan excels at that. We can still go after a LT.

2 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

My thoughts too. But, no QB’s available right now are going to take us far in the playoffs with our lack of weapons.

The only way we can compete with these AFC powerhouses soon is to draft a rookie this year or in the 1st next year & hope they are a stud & ready in year 2. 

KC, Buffalo, Den, LV, LAC, Baltimore, & Cincinnati are all better than us right now as they have made big moves to upgrade their team + have a star QB.  

Tennessee, NE, Pittsburg, & Cleveland, & the Colts are all tier 2 IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

HAHA! That is a classic line. Nicely done.  

"Win now" or settle for a slug at the QB position for the next season? I don't see any QB up for consideration being a winner over Tennessee. The AFC West will probably fill all playoff slots. Then what moves do the Colts make to secure a top QB or 2023? Ballard is going to have to earn his pay.  

People are still living in this fantasy world where the Colts are going to find their own Mahommes tomorrow, stock up on weapons and begin playing like the Bills and Chiefs did the final few minutes of their playoff game. Back in the real world, the Colts are riding Taylor for the foreseeable future. 

Ryan absolutely makes you a better team.  With Ryan in 2021, you make the playoffs and go on a run.  

It depends on how much the Falcons need to dump his salary. If they do get Watson they will need to dump his 35-40 million number. How many teams have that cap space? We might end up getting something out of the deal to take the cap hit. He's 37, not like there would be a huge line.

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm not putting a QB with a 30 pick season in charge of my team. As far as LT goes, there are still options out there and it's not signing Matt Ryan destroys our Cap space. It's only 23.5 mil. And if we still need more space, we can restructure Buck's and Kelly's contracts.

Fair enough on Winston. I am not a fan either. But I believe "All In" to mean putting your team in position to secure your QB for the next decade whatever it takes, and not the next year. I don't believe  there are too many people who believe Ryan will put this team on his back and take us to the SB. I believe we should stock pile draft capitol for when the right opportunity arises. Just seems like a prescription for mediocrity.

4 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

It depends on how much the Falcons need to dump his salary. If they do get Watson they will need to dump his 35-40 million number. How many teams have that cap space? We might end up getting something out of the deal to take the cap hit. He's 37, not like there would be a huge line.

I'm not sure the Colts have enough cap space to do some type of Osweiller deal.

And yes there has been interest in Ryan.  Reportedly, Washington and other teams called before the Watson thing hit and were turned away.

2 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Fair enough on Winston. I am not a fan either. But I believe "All In" to mean putting your team in position to secure your QB for the next decade whatever it takes, and not the next year. I don't believe  there are too many people who believe Ryan will put this team on his back and take us to the SB. I believe we should stock pile draft capitol for when the right opportunity arises. Just seems like a prescription for mediocrity.

Matt Ryan most likely isn't winning us a championship, but he is the prototypical QB the colts love. A leader who has poise and holds players accountable. He'll run the offense the way it's supposed to go and not play off-script. Matt Ryan can also help groom the next QB we bring in after 2 or 3 years that he might have left.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I know this is being generally discussed elsewhere but as the Matt Ryan to Colts possibility heats up, I’d like to hear the Board’s specific thoughts on what the Colts should give up to get Ryan in a trade. 
To me, it would seem the Falcons have to move quickly to sign Watson, meaning they have to have a trade for Ryan in place to make the deal work for them. They can’t mess around haggling over compensation or they risk losing Watson to NO. 
So, here are my thoughts:

1. The Colts are one of the few if only QB needy teams that have the cap space to take Ryan and would actually want him. 

2. The Colts have other options, meaning the Falcons don’t have much leverage. 
3. So, IMO, the compensation should be minimal, with perhaps a low draft pick (5?) headed to Atlanta this year with a mid rounder (4?) coming back to the Colts next year. Period. 
I know this return to the Falcons may seem low, but the Colts should be in the catbird’s seat here, and if I’m right, they can low ball Atlanta and get their QB at minimal cost. 
Thoughts?

They dumped Wentz and may trade for Ryan. This team ain’t all in to even consider that.

Trading for Ryan would be the worst move the colts could make. And yes I have watched Ryan play lately. He is a complete statue and unlike Rivers holds on to the ball too long. With our poor pass pro and no receivers that is a recipe for disaster. We need a QB that at least can scramble some.

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I disagree Ryan is not a statue look at his 2021 highlights. He made alot of plays on the run and was way more accurate than Wentz with Pitts being his number 1 wr

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

Trading for Ryan would be the worst move the colts could make. And yes I have watched Ryan play lately. He is a complete statue and unlike Rivers holds on to the ball too long. With our poor pass pro and no receivers that is a recipe for disaster. We need a QB that at least can scramble some.

Clearly you haven't

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Matt Ryan most likely isn't winning us a championship, but he is the prototypical QB the colts love. A leader who has poise and holds players accountable. He'll run the offense the way it's supposed to go and not play off-script. Matt Ryan can also help groom the next QB we bring in after 2 or 3 years that he might have left.

It will come down to the actual cost to aquire another short term QB while helping the Falcons secure their QB of choice.

Archived