Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would be fair compensation for Matt Ryan?

32 minutes ago, Indeee said:

What does any of this even mean? 

Listen carefully. If ZERO of the remaining QBs left from the Colts to choose from are going to give this team a legit shot at winning a championship, then who cares which one we sign right? Right. So, with that being said, why would we choose the QB that costs the most if none of them are going to ultimately get this team to where it needs to go?

This isn't about making the playoffs. STOP focusing on making the playoffs as you stated earlier. This is about finding a QB to line up behind center for a year or two while we search for a better one. A bridge, nothing more.

So, if you are a team knowing this is what having one of these remaining QBs actually gets you, time to find a better one, then again why waste money on that?

It's like knowing you are going to be saving up for a Mercedes, knowing that is the car you really want, and your plan is to go out and do whatever it takes to get one, but decide to spend your money on a Porsche instead of a Volkswagon while you are saving up. 

You can't understand why this logic is totally stupid and donkey backwards?

Finnaly we AGREE! $TART $am he is dirt cheap, draft another QB with our comp 7th rounder (really cheap) until we sign or draft our next can't miss QB.

$ave the $$$ and $ave the draft picks. The players will all still be all-in.  Yeehaaa! 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Finnaly we AGREE! $TART $am he is dirt cheap, draft another QB with our comp 7th rounder (really cheap) until we sign or draft our next can't miss QB.

$ave the $$$ and $ave the draft picks. The players will all still be all-in.  Yeehaaa! 

Again. Oh my God I keep repeating myself. Why are you ok with the idea of starting a sixth round QB? You're saying screw the 2022 season.

1 hour ago, FootballMom said:

Falcons fan here and I came here to tell you about Ryan from a Falcons fan point of view.

The Falcons never gave Ryan the proper OL he needed to be the QB he could be. 1 year in the 14 years he has been here did he had a good OL. That year he was MVP and took us to the SB and if not for our OC with an over inflated ego who decides to pass the ball instead of running it 3 times, we win the game on Matt's arm. The Falcons have consistently had the worse OL in the league, year after year after year. Last year we were ranked 29th overall. 

Matt has been running and ducking for his life. He is not the most nimble QB, but he will give it his all and dive head first for the first down. He is one heck of a competitor! 

He is a good guy. Never any issues with him, not a big ego, a lunch pail worker. I really hope if we lose him, he goes to the Colts and I will be a big fan of the Colts! I know y'all have had a pretty good OL, you got the best center in the NFL, ROLL TIDE.

And for the record, the Falcons organization have done Matt wrong over and over again. I hate to see him go and will always be a fan of him no matter where he goes.

An Atlanta fan who cheers for Bama?  

That's allll kindsa blasphemous....lol

Thanks for the take on Ryan though!!!

5 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Alabama Alumni and have 2 kids there now. I was raised in a family full of Bulldogs and being the 5th of 5 I just had to do something different! 

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Again. Oh my God I keep repeating myself. Why are you ok with the idea of starting a sixth round QB? You're saying screw the 2022 season.

so let me get this straight.. it was ok to start Andrew Luck without complaint because he was a frist rounder but its not ok to start sam because he's a 6th rounder i'm sorry i dont see the differance cause in the end you have to start to see what you got and we did that with luck and he was fine sam would be fine too

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What are you telling the team then if you trade for Mayfield and don't extend his contract? You already have Darius * off on Twitter. You think continuingly going through QB after QB is gonna go well with the guys?

My friend if it's Ryan you will be going through him as well. The younger QBs available right now maybe not but Ryan doesn't have more than a year or two left, so doesn't that constitute going through another QB anyway? Ryan IS NOT the solution here and you are focused on Ryan. pick Winston and we would not be having this conversation

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

so let me get this straight.. it was ok to start Andrew Luck without complaint because he was a frist rounder but its not ok to start sam because he's a 6th rounder i'm sorry i dont see the differance cause in the end you have to start to see what you got and we did that with luck and he was fine sam would be fine too

Oh for the love of god. I'm not gonna even waste my time explaining to you why that is a ridiculous post.

Just now, Indeee said:

My friend if it's Ryan you will be going through him as well. The younger QBs available right now maybe not but Ryan doesn't have more than a year or two left, so doesn't that constitute going through another QB anyway? Ryan IS NOT the solution here and you are focused on Ryan. pick Winston and we would not be having this conversation

Atleast the team understands that Matt Ryan is the temporary solution. Mayfield you can't do that because you'd need to convince the team he's the answer long term. You don't get how much morale plays into this.

8 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The team would support the starting of a generational qb as a rookie.  U start Sam who can't throw a ball more than 20  yards, I'm exaggerating, and u would have a revolt. U would be saying to the players that the season is over before it begins.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The team would support the starting of a generational qb as a rookie.  U start Sam who can't throw a ball more than 20  yards, I'm exaggerating, and u would have a revolt. U would be saying to the players that the season is over before it begins.

As i recall Brady was drafted in the 6th round and people said alot of bad things about his mechanics too but he proved them all wrong...just saying give sam a chance..hes had a year under his belt

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

As i recall Brady was drafted in the 6th round and people said alot of bad things about his mechanics too but he proved them all wrong...just saying give sam a chance..hes had a year under his belt

That is one in a million plus Brady has an NFL arm. Sam does not have an NFL arm. His intangibles are off the charts. 

4 hours ago, Architects08 said:

Matt Ryan doesnt move the needle in the stacked AFC. Especially when you consider the massive cap hit he would have on our cap. Kiss the rest of FA goodbye. Then you have to give up picks for him? 

Dude is a statue, we dont have a LT. Our starting RG is gone. 2nd best WR is our WR coach. 

Fair compensation isnt anywhere close to what the Colts should be willing to give up. I wouldnt mind Ryan if he cost a 4th and Atlanta ate his salary. Thats not happening though. 

Give me a guy like Winston. We can still be competitive, keep our draft picks, and use them (along with that potential Washington 2nd) to move up and get the future. 

. 2nd best WR is our WR coach

LOL Best one liner ever. you win

30 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I'd like Matt as our bridge (2 or 3 years if he plays well) QB. As a bonus, he is best friends with the Bears new GM ( Ryan Poles) who is from the town I live in. Matt was in Ryan's wedding and was in town that weekend and was at The Sand Bar. ( Bar on the lake)

Get it done Ballard!

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

This is moot point now. Watson is going to Cleveland so no way is Ryan being traded

He is? Oh no!!!!

Please trade for Jimmy G then. Not Mayfield. The players don't want him.

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

Colts getting Baker, Watson has chosen the Browns

Please no.!!!!

9 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Colts getting Baker, Watson has chosen the Browns

Who knows, could end up with a 3-way trade that results in Baker heading to ATL and Ryan to us, depending on if Ballard has a preference between the two.

10 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Colts are going for the cheapest option

As long as it isn't Mayfield. I'd rather have Mariota as a bridge. Mayfield is toxic.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

Who knows, could end up with a 3-way trade that results in Baker heading to ATL and Ryan to us, depending on if Ballard has a preference between the two.

I hope so

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How bour Ballard juat sits back k and waits for the niners, Browns and Falcons to call him?

I think this is the best approach till the end of next week. Then he can see how Winston’s rehab is going and continue talks. We’re getting damaged goods to an extent with those choices and might as well have the ball in our court to reduce draft pick damage.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:14 PM, throwing BBZ said:

This post was dog dodoo in response to another post that i seriously disagreed with. 
 Buckner, Q, Leonard and others will hate giving up their bodies knowing we COULD have been more competitive. 

How unfortunate Wentz was available to us when he was.

Depends on what the Falcons want to do in the draft. What if they think Picket in a franchise QB, or Willis. The Falcons might want to dump his salary and get some compensation. If they do like a QB in this draft they will ask for a 1st, but I'm sure would settle for a 2nd and 4th..

On 3/18/2022 at 10:57 AM, MPStack said:

Minimum 2nd Rd pick. Book it!

I tend to agree. Falcons have no urgency to move him. Had they traded for Watson then yeah, but unless they are planning to write off 2022 and get a top 5 pick next year there is no reason to trade him.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:52 AM, CR91 said:

I'd give up one of our third round picks. I think that's more then fair.

Apparently the Falcons were willing to take a 6th rounder.  Now they want a 2nd rounder since they lost out on Deshaun. I would stand pat. Ryan has a no trade clause ,so he can pick the team. He could force a trade as he is probably not to happy the way this all went down and he has a huge cap hit

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Apparently the Falcons were willing to take a 6th rounder.  Now they want a 2nd rounder since they lost out on Deshaun. I would stand pat. Ryan has a no trade clause ,so he can pick the team. He could force a trade as he is probably not to happy the way this all went down and he has a huge cap hit

Tuesday might be when we see a move because that is when Ryan's roster bonus is due. I still Matt Ryan is the play here.

Whether it’s competing ito win something or just being a bridge Ryan is the best solution.  He would immediately be the best QB in the AFC South. If the Colts do draft a young QB this year or next who do you want being a mentor?  Baker ? He ll no!  Do you want Winston, a player with multiple sexual assault allegations in his past, giving one of his finger licking pep talks on the sidelines.  Ryan, would be a perfect example of how to be a pro.  That’s worth something. Unfortunately, Ryan’s price tag went up a little when Watson went to Cleveland. 

On 3/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, Hoose said:

I know this is being generally discussed elsewhere but as the Matt Ryan to Colts possibility heats up, I’d like to hear the Board’s specific thoughts on what the Colts should give up to get Ryan in a trade. 
To me, it would seem the Falcons have to move quickly to sign Watson, meaning they have to have a trade for Ryan in place to make the deal work for them. They can’t mess around haggling over compensation or they risk losing Watson to NO. 
So, here are my thoughts:

1. The Colts are one of the few if only QB needy teams that have the cap space to take Ryan and would actually want him. 

2. The Colts have other options, meaning the Falcons don’t have much leverage. 
3. So, IMO, the compensation should be minimal, with perhaps a low draft pick (5?) headed to Atlanta this year with a mid rounder (4?) coming back to the Colts next year. Period. 
I know this return to the Falcons may seem low, but the Colts should be in the catbird’s seat here, and if I’m right, they can low ball Atlanta and get their QB at minimal cost. 
Thoughts?

It will take a 3rd.

Archived