Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

So I am listening to the blue stable podcast. Destin goes into more detail why he thinks Baker isn’t a option. He said his sources are telling him that bakers name has not been mentioned inside the building. He says they have heard all the other names. This raises my eyebrow. This tells me they could be going after him. Ballard keeps things close to his chest and may just be keeping this quiet between him and Reich.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IinD said:

I was actually talking stadium gameday money. Nobody will be showing up buying things. Unless I'm wrong and they don't make money on things like drinks, food, parking, merch?? 

I definitely don't think Jim is cheap. I was just saying Ballard would need his blessing if we go the rookie route and have a losing season because Jim would be taking the biggest hit, his wallet.

Okay miss understood what you were talking about.  I think Ballard would be more concerned about hey are you going to fire me if I go the rookie route and they don’t have a great year.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I actually read once the restructure is done and the Falcons pay the roster bonus, the cap hit would 23 mil this year and 28 mil next year. Very doable

Not to mention the Colts haven’t done much of anything in terms of reworking deals because they haven’t had too and there Is the whole voidable years thing.  If the Colts needs cap space for a guy they’ll make it happen.

6 hours ago, bestQBever said:

If that was a rule. Unless the carousel happened before the draft, A QB would never be drafted in the NFL draft again. Why waste time developing a guy thats gonna leave

Of course you're right, and the only serious aspect of my idea was the :(possible) boost to TV ratings.

My post was so bad that I later tried to delete, but waited too long, after which the only options were 'report' and 'share'...even 'edit' had been removed from the options menu.

Seriously, though, some of these 'demanding' QBs may have commandeered too much attention from the media, some fans, and some GMs.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

With all of the noise around QBs, not much has happened.  Which teams need QBs now, as of late 3/17? 

Would ATL and CLE truly need a QB after Hurricane DW entered and left their spheres?  ATL and NO seem to be the landing spots, but that would only impact Ryan or Winston (who would probably go back to NO)

DC Wentz

LVR secured Carr.

MIN secured Cousins.

PIT got Trubisky.

Are there any teams actually vacant at QB besides us?

Seattle
New Orleans 

Carolina

Houston.    (Maybe)

Cleve.         (Maybe)

Next year there could be more, including possibly…..

Tampa

Miami

NYGiants

And possibly a few more depending on performance in 2022. 

More and more it seems like we are waiting on Watson to make his decision so we can trade for whoever is left. IMO it's almost certain we trade for our next QB rather than we go the free agency route. If we wanted Mariota/Winston we would have signed them already. 

The player Ballard really wants is likely in the Mayfield/Ryan/Garoppolo group IMO and Winston/Mariota are the ones he would settle for if he cannot outbid teams for the player he wants. 

This has the potential to be really bad for the Colts. Or it might be a really good bandaid/stopgap... it will all depend on the price we pay. I just really really hope we don't give premier assets for another bandaid. :nono:

I didn't realize they pushed the bonus back, but gives Falcons some time to let the Watson trade happen and make their move from there.

Edit: I would have realized it if I read 2 pages back.....when this was originally mentioned.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

None of them are long term solutions :dunno: In essence you are getting the same thing in all of them and none of them are good enough to get you to where you want to be... the question is how much you would pay for bandaid and is it worth having slightly better bandaid for the price you are going to pay? 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seattle
New Orleans 

Carolina

Houston.    (Maybe)

Cleve.         (Maybe)

Next year there could be more, including possibly…..

Tampa

Miami

NYGiants

And possibly a few more depending on performance in 2022. 

Thanks.  And my point is that if DW has narrowed it down to ATL and NO, then are other teams are waiting to see where Ryan and Winston go?.  Since its down to two teams, it really isn't about DW anymore.  Its about who might want Ryan and Winston, no?

Not necessarily.  Rumors are that SEA is trying to trade for Mayfield, which makes sense because they do not want Ryan or Winston.

What about Carolina, Ryan or Winston for them?

Are we waiting on Ryan or Winston?  because we like them better than JG, MM that much more; or Mayfield?

IDK, the situation seems odd, going back to Irsay meeting with the FO after Jax and the Wentz move-on leak.  Could there be some sort of personal/nonfootball issue that is part of this whole thing?  Just speculation, but this has been an odd offseason

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

More and more it seems like we are waiting on Watson to make his decision so we can trade for whoever is left. IMO it's almost certain we trade for our next QB rather than we go the free agency route. If we wanted Mariota/Winston we would have signed them already. 

The player Ballard really wants is likely in the Mayfield/Ryan/Garoppolo group IMO and Winston/Mariota are the ones he would settle for if he cannot outbid teams for the player he wants. 

This has the potential to be really bad for the Colts. Or it might be a really good bandaid/stopgap... it will all depend on the price we pay. I just really really hope we don't give premier assets for another bandaid. :nono:

Yeah but the Saints still want Winston so there may be some back and forth there until the Deshaun Watson thing is settled.   I won't say that is 100 percent that we could have signed Winston already, but I do agree it's likely they want Mayfield because Mayfield openly has spoken out of his own mouth about Indy along with all the other outside reports of us acquiring him.   I dont really see or maybe it's I just dont want Matt Ryan because I don't think he can take us any further than Mariota so why spend the money?  The last time the Falcons made the playoffs under Ryan was 5 years ago and I don't think he's even the same QB today that he was then. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

None of them are long term solutions :dunno: In essence you are getting the same thing in all of them and none of them are good enough to get you to where you want to be... the question is how much you would pay for bandaid and is it worth having slightly better bandaid for the price you are going to pay? 

Why wouldn't Mayfield be a long term solution?

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why wouldn't Mayfield be a long term solution?

Mayfield is a bit different and probably the most interesting of all of them, but there are serious red flags there. He is another rebuilding project in the Wentz mold. I have no idea what kind of confidence one would have in our ability to fix him and more importantly on his willingness to be fixed when the reports from the Browns are ... and I quote they "need an adult at QB" ... 

I just think I'm done with reclamation projects and QBs that need fixing. It's the height of hubris for us to think that what other great coaches couldn't fix, we will be able to... it's just not very likely to succeed. :( 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Mayfield is a bit different and probably the most interesting of all of them, but there are serious red flags there. He is another rebuilding project in the Wentz mold. I have no idea what kind of confidence one would have in our ability to fix him and more importantly on his willingness to be fixed when the reports from the Browns are ... and I quote they "need an adult at QB" ... 

I just think I'm done with reclamation projects and QBs that need fixing. It's the height of hubris for us to think that what other great coaches couldn't fix, we will be able to... it's just not very likely to succeed. :( 

I'd like to know what he hasn't been an adult about.  The man played injured last year and all so what specifically are they talking about with the adult stuff when you try to replace the guy with someone(Watson) who got himself in a situation that mature responsible adults with a lot riding on the table don't get themselves in.  They can accept the childishness of Watson but they can't accept Bakers childishness?  And then immediately after they get rejected by the 1st Child(Watson) they all of a sudden don't want to let the 2nd child(Mayfield) go?  They like child now!  LOL

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd like to know what he hasn't been an adult about.  The man played injured last year and all so what specifically are they talking about with the adult stuff when you try to replace the guy with someone(Watson) who got himself in a situation that mature responsible adults with a lot riding on the table don't get themselves in,

No idea but those were the reports coming from the Browns. He's had falling out with 3 different coaches so far in the span of 4 years in the NFL. I'm done doubting such reports from other teams. There were the exact same reports about Wentz and they all proved correct and he left the Colts with the exact same problems reportedly appearing during the  season. 

We cannot be paying teams premier price for damaged goods in the hopes that we will repair them. We just cannot keep doing this. If you are getting him, treat him as a 1 year bandaid/prove it deal. You don't pay premier price for that... you pay 3d-4th round pick and that's it. If he works out and it seems like he can be long-term solution, great! If not just move on without having paid premier picks that should be used for strengthening the team or for finding your true QB of the future. 

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

So this is really coming down to which teams want Winston, and which teams want/afford Ryan.  SEA and CLE could trade Mayfield independent of what DW decides.

I just don't see where Ryan and Winston are such hot commodities that its holding up other teams from getting their QB.

If everything is going to be waiting on DW, then there is going to be a flurry of teams competing over the next best QB.  If they wait, he may be gone or more expensive because now another team is looking. 

It just seems that if a team truly wants a QB, they should go do their thing now before the market starts its flurry. 

I guess this says that we are interested in either Ryan or Winston....or nobody.  

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd like to know what he hasn't been an adult about.  The man played injured last year and all so what specifically are they talking about with the adult stuff when you try to replace the guy with someone(Watson) who got himself in a situation that mature responsible adults with a lot riding on the table don't get themselves in,

That's what I'm curious about. Was it just something said to justify wanting to bring another QB in or is there truly a maturity issue? I would hope we would have the opportunity to talk to Baker prior to making any moves and fully vet that comment with both him and the Browns Front Office.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

No idea but those were the reports coming from the Browns. He's had falling out with 3 different coaches so far in the span of 4 years in the NFL. I'm done doubting such reports from other teams. There were the exact same reports about Wentz and they all proved correct and he left the Colts with the exact same problems reportedly appearing during the  season. 

We cannot be paying teams premier price for damaged goods in the hopes that we will repair them. We just cannot keep doing this. If you are getting him, treat him as a 1 year bandaid/prove it deal. You don't pay premier price for that... you pay 3d-4th round pick and that's it. If he works out and it seems like he can be long-term solution, great! If not just move on without having paid premier picks that should be used for strengthening the team or for finding your true QB of the future. 

I can respect your angle although I say the Browns coaches haven't been that great over the years but I think Stefansky brought them some movement on that offense recently so Im not sure why Baker has problems there.   But yeah for sure a problematic personality can be a major issue if the reports are real. 

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd like to know what he hasn't been an adult about.  The man played injured last year and all so what specifically are they talking about with the adult stuff when you try to replace the guy with someone(Watson) who got himself in a situation that mature responsible adults with a lot riding on the table don't get themselves in.  They can accept the childishness of Watson but they can't accept Bakers childishness?  And then immediately after they get rejected by the 1st Child(Watson) they all of a sudden don't want to let the 2nd child(Mayfield) go?  They like child now!  LOL

I see your point and agree.

Just another: Ok, we know what Watson did, both on a personal level and how he treated HOU.  We know the specific incidents.

Do we know what Baker has done to earn the childish label?  Or what Wentz has done to earn whatever labels he has?

I hear labels,  I don't hear specific events.   I assume there are, I just have never followed CLE much.

Edit: okay, I see that you asked the same question above.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

That's what I'm curious about. Was it just something said to justify wanting to bring another QB in or is there truly a maturity issue? I would hope we would have the opportunity to talk to Baker prior to making any moves and fully vet that comment with both him and the Browns Front Office.

Well John Dorsey drafted him so I think Ballard has gotten a lot of his info from him as well. But yeah id be gathering info from them as much as I could. 

Right now I think Ryan is our 1st choice.  The funny thing is Watson reached out to Atlanta his home town team.  They were originally not in the sweepstakes.  That should tell everyone what you need to know.  He would love to play for his hometown team. Atlanta needs to show Watson they want him and trade Ryan to the Colts today.  I think that move would go a long way to convince Watson to pick the Falcons.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

Allbright has been reporting for a while that Stefanski wants Mayfield gone. This was not just about them trying to get Watson and souring that relationship because of it. It was the other way around - the relationship has been soured before that and this lead to them trying to get other QBs. 

I don't think we can sort out the complexities of what happened there in a meeting with Mayfield. They couldn't sort it out with Wentz either before we traded for him and that's with Frank having had personal relationship with both Wentz and Pederson. You just don't see the problems that appear until you are actually working with the guy day after day, week after week and see how he reacts in practice to what a season throws at you. 

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So this is really coming down to which teams want Winston, and which teams want/afford Ryan.  SEA and CLE could trade Mayfield independent of what DW decides.

I just don't see where Ryan and Winston are such hot commodities that its holding up other teams from getting their QB.

If everything is going to be waiting on DW, then there is going to be a flurry of teams competing over the next best QB.  If they wait, he may be gone or more expensive because now another team is looking. 

It just seems that if a team truly wants a QB, they should go do their thing now before the market starts its flurry. 

I guess this says that we are interested in either Ryan or Winston....or nobody.  

I'm not sure that's true. Reportedly 49ers expected higher interest in Jimmy G, so they postponed the decision for after the Watson's decision is done, because there are 4 teams there bidding for DW and 2 or 3 of them will be left without a QB they want. So that would be 2-3 more teams bidding for him. That might be the reason Jimmy G's decision has not been made. We know why the Mayfield and Ryan's decisions haven't been made - they were waiting for DW decision. And in the Mayfield's case - it's possible the Browns are now waiting to see if they can land Jimmy G, which again - is postponed for after the DW decision.... 

In essence everything is waiting on DW. 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Right now I think Ryan is our 1st choice.  The funny thing is Watson reached out to Atlanta his home town team.  They were originally not in the sweepstakes.  That should tell everyone what you need to know.  He would love to play for his hometown team. Atlanta needs to show Watson they want him and trade Ryan to the Colts today.  I think that move would go a long way to convince Watson to pick the Falcons.

I think that's where he will be and Winston will end up signing back with the Saints most likely although I wouldn't trip at all if we signed him. 

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

I’m with you. Sadly, our only options are projects for at least this year. Even the upcoming rookie class has no clear surefire starter level talent.

2023 looks better on paper, but there are no guarantees.

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure that's true. Reportedly 49ers expected higher interest in Jimmy G, so they postponed the decision for after the Watson's decision is done, because there are 4 teams there bidding for DW and 2 or 3 of them will be left without a QB they want. So that would be 2-3 more teams bidding for him. That might be the reason Jimmy G's decision has not been made. We know why the Mayfield and Ryan's decisions haven't been made - they were waiting for DW decision. And in the Mayfield's case - it's possible the Browns are now waiting to see if they can land Jimmy G, which again - is postponed for after the DW decision.... 

In essence everything is waiting on DW. 

What are the 4 teams still in the hunt?  I thought DW narrowed it to just ATL and NO, scratched the others off of his list.  That's why I said it came down to teams competing over Ryan, whomever can afford him. Winston is a FA, and maybe his first choice is to go back to NO but can't at the moment.

I guess the question is, who are the 4 QBs that Hurricane Deshaun could uproot and scatter across the NFL, and what is their value/cap impact to other teams?  I got Ryan and Winston as two...and I don't see a bunch of teams competing over them more than any others..  

Example:  If Ballard is thinking about JG, it seems that if CLE wants him after the Mayfield trade, then wouldn't JG be cheaper now than waiting for whatever CLE does (DW/ Mayfield)?

I think this says that Ballard, potentially, doesn't want anybody.  Maybe a rookie?

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

Bringing Matt Ryan to Indy would be dumb.   He hasn't been very good over the past couple seasons.  He's old.  He's paid too much.  He's not an upgrade over Wentz.   

Last 3 season:

24 TDs

12.3 INT's

Ratings of 92, 93, 90.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What are the 4 teams still in the hunt?  I thought DW narrowed it to just ATL and NO, scratched the others off of his list.  That's why I said it came down to teams competing over Ryan, whomever can afford him. Winston is a FA, and maybe his first choice is to go back to NO but can't at the moment.

I guess the question is, who are the 4 QBs that Hurricane Deshaun could uproot and scatter across the NFL, and what is their value/cap impact to other teams?  I got Ryan and Winston as two.  

Yah, Winston possibly is a key cog there. ATL and NO are left. If I'm not mistaken NO are another team that might go after Jimmy G. I guess they are all interconnected but the key is still DW. If I had to guess the dominos will start falling relatively quickly once that decision is made. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yah, Winston possibly is a key cog there. ATL and NO are left. If I'm not mistaken NO are another team that might go after Jimmy G. I guess they are all interconnected but the key is still DW. If I had to guess the dominos will start falling relatively quickly once that decision is made. 

Yeah, that should break the log jam.  Someone made a joke about how Cleveland wanted an adult to play QB there.  Then they go after Watson.  

Talent cancels every flaw.  Unless you're Ballard...

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Right, so JGs price is only going to go up the longer Ballard waits.  Its obvious that CB doesn't want JG, at least to me based on what I see.  I just think that the prices of other QBs are going to go up later rather than sooner.

Maybe the QB agents are holding this up, not really the teams.  I'd think that if a team does not want Ryan or Winston, go get that guy now before he becomes more interesting to some other team.

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

Bringing Matt Ryan to Indy would be dumb.   He hasn't been very good over the past couple seasons.  He's old.  He's paid too much.  He's not an upgrade over Wentz.   

Last 3 season:

24 TDs

12.3 INT's

Ratings of 92, 93, 90.

I think we are screwed either way at this point. Ryan, Watson, Mayfield, Mariotta. We are in a rough spot

Archived