Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor on Carson Wentz

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Agreed.  The thing is, early in the season, he was taking check downs and throwing it away occasionally, so I know he is capable.   Just need some consistency.

Exactly, midseason looked like we robbed the Eagles. Then it all collapsed it started to get ugly. Got faith in him with a second season with team.:goodluck:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, King Colt said:

As bad as the team looked in their final two games I can't see targeting one player. I have never heard or read of an explanation as to the reason for the total collapse of a franchise with so much at stake.

I hope the local media at some point this off-season asks Ballard to re-visit the epic two game collapse with everything on the line.

What went wrong?   And if he won’t say, follow up asking Ballard if he knows what steps to take to ensure it doesn’t happen again?   Too many things seemed to go wrong with so much at stake.   History cannot be allowed to repeat itself.   

17 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

When your pro bowl and all pro running back make comments like that you sit up and listen.  It was clear from hard knocks Taylor and Wentz had a very close bond.

Not close enough for wentz to throw him open passes on them check down routes and think of a couple game we lost cause if that 

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

As bad as the team looked in their final two games I can't see targeting one player. I have never heard or read of an explanation as to the reason for the total collapse of a franchise with so much at stake.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What went wrong?

If the real answer is covid and vaccines then they wont be able to say it or do much about it.  they will have to dance around it like we do too on the forums.  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope the local media at some point this off-season asks Ballard to re-visit the epic two game collapse with everything on the line.

What went wrong?   And if he won’t say, follow up asking Ballard if he knows what steps to take to ensure it doesn’t happen again?   Too many things seemed to go wrong with so much at stake.   History cannot be allowed to repeat itself.   

They won’t say because it will look like excuses. But when you start 1-4 and climb all the way back like they did it takes a lot of energy. Then the start was easily explainable with camp injuries ect. Then covid hit and they  ran out of gas with all the energy they  had to use to even get back in it. They have to start not having such huge swings in the season so that doesn’t happen. It’s one of the reasons we need to stick with Carson. We don’t need to be starting over with another QB again causing a slow start.  

19 hours ago, stitches said:

When the pope tells you "God is great" this is not news. Now if he says the opposite, then that would be news. 

The players know the game they are playing with the media. They get extensive media training in their pre-draft process and then usually only get more polished with the way they interact with media. This sounds like a typical canned answer you would get on a question like this, regardless of how you feel about the guy. In essence, they give the response that's least likely to cause drama, especially since they have nothing to gain by causing the drama and even moreso when their personality seem to be low key, which I believe Taylor is... :dunno: 

BTW I have no reason to think Wentz is not liked by the players. This is not why people don't want him to be our QB. 

I still think Ballard's end of year press conference came on the heels of the emotions still not having cooled down with 2 losses down the stretch and a talk with Irsay. It felt like a small echo chamber for Irsay, his owner that wanted answers, that is how I felt. He gave a bit too much to the media, a piece of his raw mind at that time though he acknowledged they will have to go back and review things more. When the emotions settle down and they see what they can do better with Wentz and if they feel they can do it, it might / will be presented differently to the media the next time Ballard talks, I feel.

Irsay is a fan primarily, a BIG TIME invested fan, no doubt. However, Ballard has to walk the line between appeasing the owner that is the fan (who is like a lot of fans here underwhelmed with QB play and some livid as well), and making objective practical decisions by discarding the noise. Not an easy job.

25 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I don't care to hear what JT or any of the other players have to say. They and the coaches quit the final two weeks of the season. They embarassed the entire Colt nation. Hang that banner in the locker room as a reminder.

Probably should have avoided this thread then

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I still think Ballard's end of year press conference came on the heels of the emotions still not having cooled down with 2 losses down the stretch and a talk with Irsay. It felt like a small echo chamber for Irsay, his owner that wanted answers, that is how I felt. He gave a bit too much to the media, a piece of his raw mind at that time though he acknowledged they will have to go back and review things more. When the emotions settle down and they see what they can do better with Wentz and if they feel they can do it, it might / will be presented differently to the media the next time Ballard talks, I feel.

Irsay is a fan primarily, a BIG TIME invested fan, no doubt. However, Ballard has to walk the line between appeasing the owner that is the fan (who is like a lot of fans here underwhelmed with QB play and some livid as well), and making objective practical decisions by discarding the noise. Not an easy job.

I think I heard Ballard and Reich will talk again right before the NFL combine. It will be interesting to see if his tune is different.

20 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You all were trashing Wentz because you said it looked like his teammates didn’t stick up for him. Now they do and you go what was he supposed to say. Can’t win with some of you.

One teammate said some nice things, I hardly call that sticking up for him. Not all of us are Huge Wentz fans. I had high hopes for him especially with Frank. And he literally crashed and burned. He came in with a fan base ready to back him as our next franchise QB. We all understood the slow start and the injuries. But those last two games he let us down big time. Those are the kind of games that stick around for a long time and sometimes you never get past. If Wentz is the starter week one. I sure hope he flips a switch. If not I have seen all I need to. 

42 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

One teammate said some nice things, I hardly call that sticking up for him. Not all of us are Huge Wentz fans. I had high hopes for him especially with Frank. And he literally crashed and burned. He came in with a fan base ready to back him as our next franchise QB. We all understood the slow start and the injuries. But those last two games he let us down big time. Those are the kind of games that stick around for a long time and sometimes you never get past. If Wentz is the starter week one. I sure hope he flips a switch. If not I have seen all I need to. 

The entire team crapped the bed those last 2 games.    He had zero time in the Jags game

I think a lot of fault goes to the D besides Wentz in those last 2 games. Wentz played like crap against Jacks but so did the D. My friend Mark puts the blame on Reich for the loss and we have went back and forth on that. He keeps saying Reich didn't have us prepared is why. I find that hard to believe but we did lay an egg.

I have gave Wentz a hard time but I have never said he is a bad guy. He even won me over during the season. Those last 2 games just sting so damn bad that it is tough to imagine with him at QB that we can win a SB. I have said the same thing about Tannehill for Tennessee, just don't see it and I was right again about his butt. I would hate to see us waste Taylor's career like Tennessee has with Henry. 

54 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

He came in with a fan base ready to back him as our next franchise QB.

Ya....that is not even close to a reality. You and I may have been on board, but significant portion of the fan base was not. 

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

They embarassed the entire Colt nation.

I still find this amazing. I might feel frustration, anger, or disappointment after a big loss, disappointment being the most common emotion.

Embarrassment? Never. I wasn't on the * field. 

Just now, Four2itus said:

Ya....that is not even close to a reality. You and I may have been on board, but significant portion of the fan base was not. 

I still find this amazing. I might feel frustration, anger, or disappointment after a big loss, disappointment being the most common emotion.

I love your new avatar by the way. Cool as hell :thmup:. I wasn't on board with the trade but he won me over until the last 2 games, now I have my doubts again. Who wouldn't??

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Ballard is usually very grounded in his pressers. Only two times I can remember him being on tilt a little bit -- the McDaniels presser, which was also on the heels of Edwin Jackson's death, so there was a lot of emotion involved there; and the end of season presser a few weeks ago. 

The McDaniels presser was on another level. But I think you're right, Ballard was upset after the season ended, and it showed. He was disappointed with the flameout, which we all were; in 2 weeks, we went from 'maybe we can get the two seed' / 'no one wants to play the Colts' to out of the playoffs entirely. It was a tragic crash and burn. Ballard and Reich had also recently been giving a talking to by Irsay, and couple that with some of the things Irsay said publicly, I bet there was some urgency conveyed in that meeting, and afterward. Ballard let some of that show, maybe more than he normally would.

And some of his tenses -- 'I thought it was a good trade at the time,' etc. -- kind of showed some doubt about whether Wentz was going to work out moving forward. 

But most of this comes from trying to read between the lines. In general, he was frustrated, upset, disappointed, bruised, tired, confused, angry, all at once. And that showed in his tone. But digging into his words and statements too much is probably a mistake. Aside from maybe a willingness to consider some adjustments here and there, I don't think Ballard necessarily revealed any intentions for next season. Like you said, it was too soon after the season ended, he was too upset, it was too raw (by his standards), and it's probably best that we just wait to see what he's saying at his next presser.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ballard is usually very grounded in his pressers. Only two times I can remember him being on tilt a little bit -- the McDaniels presser, which was also on the heels of Edwin Jackson's death, so there was a lot of emotion involved there; and the end of season presser a few weeks ago. 

The McDaniels presser was on another level. But I think you're right, Ballard was upset after the season ended, and it showed. He was disappointed with the flameout, which we all were; in 2 weeks, we went from 'maybe we can get the two seed' / 'no one wants to play the Colts' to out of the playoffs entirely. It was a tragic crash and burn. Ballard and Reich had also recently been giving a talking to by Irsay, and couple that with some of the things Irsay said publicly, I bet there was some urgency conveyed in that meeting, and afterward. Ballard let some of that show, maybe more than he normally would.

And some of his tenses -- 'I thought it was a good trade at the time,' etc. -- kind of showed some doubt about whether Wentz was going to work out moving forward. 

But most of this comes from trying to read between the lines. In general, he was frustrated, upset, disappointed, bruised, tired, confused, angry, all at once. And that showed in his tone. But digging into his words and statements too much is probably a mistake. Aside from maybe a willingness to consider some adjustments here and there, I don't think Ballard necessarily revealed any intentions for next season. Like you said, it was too soon after the season ended, he was too upset, it was too raw (by his standards), and it's probably best that we just wait to see what he's saying at his next presser.

Yep, well said. I have watched football for 45 years and when we were 9-6 I thought we could beat anyone in the league. This flame out blind sided me like no other. 

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love your new avatar by the way. Cool as hell :thmup:

Thanks! I was perusing the Colt pics on the site and came across the one with him and Hines standing on the tarmac.  I thought they both looked badazz. When I first put it in with him centered, it clashed with the Colt emblem that is embedded on the left. I moved it over right until it looked like his stripe of Blue was flowing out of the emblem. First time I have spent the time to customize something like that. :hat:

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Thanks! I was perusing the Colt pics on the site and came across the one with him and Hines standing on the tarmac.  I thought they both looked badazz. When I first put it in with him centered, it clashed with the Colt emblem that is embedded on the left. I moved it over right until it looked like his stripe of Blue was flowing out of the emblem. First time I have spent the time to customize something like that. :hat:

Yeah that is really cool. I hope we bounce back next year and go deep. If Wentz is our QB I will be behind him, I always love the Colts no matter what :thmup:

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

Couldn't agree more. :thmup:

5 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

If the real answer is covid and vaccines then they wont be able to say it or do much about it.  they will have to dance around it like we do too on the forums.  

Ballard already said that wasn't an excuse because other teams have had to deal with it as well. But to your point, it's a pretty delicate topic when you several of your team leaders didn't get vaccinated.

The entire locker room loved JB it seemed. Doesn't really mean anything.

And JT's approach to the subject is certainly going to be different than Ballard or even Reich. They are colleagues who work closely together. There is no upside to JT saying anything different, only downside. Plus, he really seems like a genuinely stand-up guy.

39 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Ballard already said that wasn't an excuse because other teams have had to deal with it as well. But to your point, it's a pretty delicate topic when you several of your team leaders didn't get vaccinated.

He said it wasn’t a excuse but did admit he thought it had a effect those last two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Look, it's your discussion with Wentzen, but didn't you diminish the significance of her post of a Twitter by George Bremer, and are now elevating a Twitter post of Jason Spears?

You do make a good point however. It shows that a tweet can be taken in a positive and or a negative way. It’s all about how you view the information, and how significant it is. I’m not trying to start arguments, I prefer conversations.

24 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lmao. Jason likes to go around trashing colt fans. The guy is toxic. I don’t care if he gets some things right.

He isn’t wrong.  You don’t publicly bash teammates. To think someone like JT would say something else is ridiculous.  Leonard too . Leonard said, yes he’s a warrior. He also said we all have injuries in this league. They know most likely and unless told differently they’re sharing a locker room with Wentz next year. 

11 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

You do make a good point however. It shows that a tweet can be taken in a positive and or a negative way. It’s all about how you view the information, and how significant it is. I’m not trying to start arguments, I prefer conversations.

All good. Unfortunately we have went from the information age...to the misinformation age. Lol. 

I think it's a little of both. I think there is some truth...and some "NFL code" correctness in this whole discussion. 

48 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

He isn’t wrong.  You don’t publicly bash teammates. To think someone like JT would say something else is ridiculous.  Leonard too . Leonard said, yes he’s a warrior. He also said we all have injuries in this league. They know most likely and unless told differently they’re sharing a locker room with Wentz next year. 

I am talking about him in general. You can’t have any kind of conversation with him if your opinion is different. If you don’t believe what he thinks he trashes you.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

It's an old expression. 

I'm old. :D 

When I tell my siblings that I will use the slang term "Word!", they reply, "Please don't embarrass us." haha 

Edit:

Okay, I read it was a term used in the late 19th Century, early 20th Century. I'm not that old

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I dont know. If he would have played a bit better , I think they would have came around.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I know we have a lot of QB threads but I think this deserves its own thread. Clearly the players done hate Carson.

That’s a testament to JT’s diplomacy and team building mojo. Wentz is still no bueno.

Archived