Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*

dw49

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

Careful what you ask for. There are a helleva lot worst coaches out there and hopefully we get one that is better. We do not have 3-4 personnel as some are wanting and it would take a few years to retool if we went 3-4.

Good luck to Flus. I wasn't as unhappy as most were with him. I am more concerned with the offensive side of the ball.

QB is still an issue but that will take a while.

Maybe the football gods will bless us and we’ll actually get a DC who knows how to call blitzes and stunts...wouldn’t that be great, especially for a front four that gets very little pressure by themselves...and it’s almost like we have an all-pro LB who is great at blitzing....HMMMM

4 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

An average QB can be masked by a lockdown D. Just look at Peyton’s last year in Denver, or the 49ers this year. Maybe the D can help mitigate the bad side of Wentz this year.

True + we have a Taylor. I am not a Wentz hater, I think he had a good year in reality but he was also bad in crucial situations. I guess it could be worse, I still like him better than someone like Baker or even Tannehill. Many in here thought I was nuts when I kept saying Tannehill was average and would be one and done. I said watch vs Cincy,The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I won big money on that game too :thmup:

The problem is people think we will get a DC whose scheme will solve all our defensive problems and make us the best defense in the game. The truth is we don't have the talent. And if we don't have talent to execute simple schemes, we cannot be the best at anything.

Eberflus will take the same defensive strategy to Chicago and even if he has a DC, the philosophy will be the same, and i fully expect him to have outstanding success because they have more talented pieces than we do. If he can get a great OC with a complimentary offensive mindset, watch out. They are going to be a problem.

Congrats and good luck to Matt Eberflus. Now we need to nail the next hire, we need someone who has a philosophy that compliments what Frank wants to do. We need someone who can teach that to his players. Most of all we need talent, over to you Chris Ballard, get more talent and hire that correct DC....no pressure.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

The problem is people think we will get a DC whose scheme will solve all our defensive problems and make us the best defense in the game. The truth is we don't have the talent. And if we don't have talent to execute simple schemes, we cannot be the best at anything.

Eberflus will take the same defensive strategy to Chicago and even if he has a DC, the philosophy will be the same, and i fully expect him to have outstanding success because they have more talented pieces than we do. If he can get a great OC with a complimentary offensive mindset, watch out. They are going to be a problem.

Congrats and good luck to Matt Eberflus. Now we need to nail the next hire, we need someone who has a philosophy that compliments what Frank wants to do. We need someone who can teach that to his players. Most of all we need talent, over to you Chris Ballard, get more talent and hire that correct DC....no pressure.

Apparently Flus was such a bad DC that he kept us from having a lock down D.

But CHI felt highly of him enough to promote him to HC.

Something doesn't add up.  And I think I know who is using the bad math.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think he has all the traits to be a good HC. I don’t think he is good at situational play calling in critical times.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

YESssssssssssssssssss! Goodbye! Best news I have heard all day.

@Four2itusI seen the sad face but he needed to go brother. I can't always be nice, I hated his scheme. That was the worse part of my season. When you continue to make QB's look like Joe Montana that are average it gets ridiculous after a while. Carr, Lawrence, and Lamar looked like Hall of Famers against us, even Tannehill played good. Can't have it man. The Jets QB's even looked good.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Most of the problems we had on D this past season were about personnel, not scheme or coaching.

I agree that Eberflus did not have the talent needed to effectively run his system to its fullest potential.

I also agree that Eberflus ran a very basic defensive scheme, thus not conducive to defensive players winning their battles, (few stunts, few blitzes, very little aggressiveness).

Both things can be true.

45 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Interesting thing here, Eberflus coached as Colts DC, which lead to a HC position for him, so any other defensive coach aspiring to become a HC again, may now view the Colts position as being very desirable. :)

Exactly.

And Eberflus did that with less talent on his unit than many other teams. THAT is why he was a hot candidate. When folks say his defense sucked, and he didnt do this or that YET teams all want to interview him, and even in years where there were only offensive coaches in the interview circuit, he'd be the sole DC on the list....did people never wonder WHY that was? It's because others (who are paid professionals to look at these things) saw that this was a guy with a good scheme, who was organized, and could TEACH and lead. Thats why he kept getting the calls and is now the coach of the Chicago Bears.

So yes, there'll be guys who want to coach us but we need to ensure they have the mindset to bring success. All that's missing is a pass rush. Maybe also add a dominant safety (in house already or not). The scheme is readymade for today's offensive philosophy in the league. If Ballard gets that personnel issue righted, we will be great in this scheme. Folks will then say it was coaching and give the flowers to the new guy and really doesnt matter whether they give Flus credit or not, as long as we're great that's all that counts...but hear me now, the seeds Flus planted are what will get us there.

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

Congrats to him. The NFL apparently is really impressed with his work with this Colts roster. Now lets see if he can do better with better defensive pieces. 

Also lets see if we end up in "careful what you wish for" situation. A lot of Colts fans seem to have wanted him gone and now it's done. So who will replace him now? Is Ballard stuck on his team playing this defense? Because that significantly will limit the pool of candidates... Or are we open to something new... something more modern? 

I agree.  Eberflus was a good coach.  There were times where he made a banquet out of ramen noodles with our defense.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think he has all the traits to be a good HC. I don’t think he is good at situational play calling in critical times.

Do you think that situational play calling kept us from having a lockdown D, that could elevate average QB play?

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree.  Eberflus was a good coach.  There were times where he made a banquet out of ramen noodles with our defense.

It would be like Tim Jennings playing with a cushion under Ron Meeks / Dungy and going to the Bears and playing press coverage and lighting it up, making plays. :) 

Wishing Matt Eberflus the best as the new Bears HC. 

Opportunity for the Colts to develop a better DL and defensive scheme. My choice is Zimmer from Minnesota for the following reasons:

1- He has a strong reputation in putting a great DL and LB (front seven). He is old school and tough mindedness.

2- His play calling is aggressive and sets high standards for his coaches and players. Eberflus was predictable.

3- He is a Head Coach caliber and I see it as an Assistant HC to Reich. 

4- Irsay, Ballard and Reich are all from his generation and knows what Zimmer is all about. They trust his evaluation and assessments. 

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Situational play calling? Give me one example and let's dissect it, and we can truly answer that thought you just laid out.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It would be like Tim Jennings playing with a cushion under Ron Meeks / Dungy and going to the Bears and playing press coverage and lighting it up, making plays. :) 

2021 Colts:  "Ok, Flus.  We're gonna give you rookie DE's and lesser talent, only 1 truly strong 3 tech DT, fast undersized LB's, iffy talent at CB, and young safeties.  Oh, and they'll all get hurt from time to time."

2021 Eberflus:  "Results -- 16th ranked in total yards, 9th ranked in points against, 10th ranked in rushing yards, 18th ranked in passing yards, 2nd ranked in turnovers, 1st ranked in fumbles forced.  All while being nearly dead last in sacks."

2022 Bears:  "You're hired."

10 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Flus got IT.

Folks will say that his defense was slow and conservative and blah blah but yet they fail to understand or concede that his defense did exactly what it was made to do i.e. slow down explosive offenses. This defensive philosophy isn't one that is wrong. It's very right and a perfect fit for the offenses in the league today. Now, we need talent....

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He gets players to play hard for him. His processes are good. He knows how to manage players. That’s what it takes. His DC His DC will be  running the defense.

I bet the Bears don't win more than 8 games with him as coach unless some major moves happens with them.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I would hope they go externally. Internally hasn’t worked as far as establishing a consistent pass rush. 

I agree I want Flores, if not, then Zimmer.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bet the Bears don't win more than 8 games with him as coach unless some major moves happens with them.

Well with a 2nd year QB they might not. His offensive staff will be big hires.

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

They'll have to look externally. I think the only other person in house with any DC experience is their safety coach, and I'm blanking on his name right now.

Allen Williams 

I cant believe people are saying we dont have talent. My biggest issue with him is how we made average Quarterbacks look like hall of famers. I do think we are lacking talent in a few areas but you cannot have stars at every position. We just didnt look like a fully functional defense at times. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Brian Flores / Jim Schwartz / Wink Martindale / Mike Zimmer in that order for me.

Wink Martindale for DC with Anthony Weaver of Ravens for DL coach would be nice. 

• Flores - He'll be hired as a HC, so I he isn't even a legitimate consideration right now.
  • Schwartz - For a "re-tread" he's my favorite.
  • Martindale - I'm not convinced that he would be a good fit schematically and him just recently being fired from his job doesn't make me feel good about bringing him in.
  • Zimmer - I really like his scheme and on paper, he's a hell of a DC. With our focus on character and locker room fit, I don't think he fits. Previous players of his do not have great things to say about how he interacted with them, mainly being extremely rude and ignoring them.

Anthony Weaver as DL coach sounds great, but I don't see why he would make a lateral move when he's the DL coach for Baltimore, or if he's even able to make that move (contractually).

Just now, Aaron86 said:

I cant believe people are saying we dont have talent. My biggest issue with him is how we made average Quarterbacks look like hall of famers. I do think we are lacking talent in a few areas but you cannot have stars at every position. We just didnt look like a fully functional defense at times. 

Thank you man! Your 2 first sentences says it all. I have been saying that all morning.

Archived