Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*

dw49

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's not an objective way to look at it.  Autry performed on a DL that has Simmons and Landry.  Autry's addition improved TENs no doubt from last year when he wasn't there, but Simmons and Landry are no drop off from Autry's  Defo and Houston teammates last year.  Not to mention TN has a better secondary and better defensive players throughout.

I'll take Vrabel & Co. as a defensive mind over Flus in general, sure, but I'm not pinning Autry's performance on that.

Houston is old and a part time player so that variable is all over the place for any type of judgment, IMO.

Anthony Walker arguably had a worse year at Clev than he had with the Colts last year.  Is there a way to look at it to convince us that Flus is bad?

If a person continually takes one the side in the chicken or the egg debate, he can make compelling arguments if he wants to.

Not objective... lol... good one... You should just say, "the facts don't fit my narrative..." lol...

You yourself want credit Simmons and Landry, who had a combined 8.5 sacks last year... We had Defo, Autry, and Houston.... And TN had Clowney last year too. It's easy to see that Autry took them to a new level, and that both Simmons and Landry performed much better this year with Autry. Why didn't Autry/Defo/Houston look good lol... 

And then, you actually try to steal my original point (scheme/coaching) is an issue by saying Vrabel and Co are better than Flus.... lol...

Houston played almost as many snaps this year as he did last year, but graded out much better. So if he was part time this year, he was just as part time last year. Sure he's getting older, but he graded 78.4 (579 snaps, 61%) this year vs 2020's 62.8 (608 snaps, 59%). His % of snaps was actually higher.....

Walker had a worse year in Cleveland.... What? You smoking, or is this another one of your nights for higher thinking lol.

2020 48.0

2021 68.6

That's a 20pt improvement lol.... worse... good lord... 

So.... One guy has a career year stat wise (Autry), and two others improve their grades by 16 and 20 points.......

It's all coincidence right lol... 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This hasn’t been mentioned so I will stick it here. I am kind of surprised by this.

Joe Brady's honeymoon is over, I guess, with Matt Rhule. But has Scottie called plays? OC???

They have also interviewed Jay Gruden, so I am thinking Jay Gruden gets the nod eventually.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:23 PM, DougDew said:

IIRC, Vangio prefers a 34.  Switching schemes to get the right players in the right spots would take a couple of drafts.  Some would carry over, but not all.  Or fund the new roster quickly with mid level FAs ala Grigson.

Ballard has said since day one that he knows what kind of defense he wants and he has drafted and signed players to fit the mold he wants (at least post-Pagano). 

We won't see a scheme change (at least not a major one) on D while Ballard is still our GM.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:43 PM, luv_pony_express said:

I’ll never understand this.

Matt Eberflus is not our problem.  For his defense to perform as well as it has with below average pass rushers and some middling DBs is remarkable.  It’s not his fault Ballard hasn’t filled those spots better.

I’m not the least bit surprised he’s held in high esteem around the league.  Mark my words:  we’ll miss him if/when he’s gone.

I think Flus has done a lot of good here. Also, it seems like the players like playing for him.

That said, where I get frustrated with Flus is his lack of consistency. Sure, he doesn't have studs at every position and the players have to be held liable for some stuff... but, when players don't show up to play a lot of that has to fall on the coaches for either not preparing the players well enough or not putting them in a game plan to maximize their talent.  I know Reich has a ton of say on the O. I'm not sure how much say he has with the D. Keep in mind, Flus was here before Reich and kind of forced on Reich (as much as Reich says it is a perfect fit, it has to be somewhat uncomfortable being a first time head coach and not being able to hand pick your entire staff, especially 1/3 of the coordinator positions).  I  would love to see what Reich does if Flus leaves.  I kinda doubt it, but maybe if he got more involved in D planning and play calling, then maybe he would release his reins on his O play calling. 

It is very frustrating to me that Flus can have our D come out and dominate or at least look very good in some games versus good offenses (eg, Pats, Cards, Bills) and then be abysmal against garbage teams a week or 2 later (eg, Jags).  This is where I think the blame it on the players argument goes out the window. If he's got the players to shut down good teams, he darn well has the players to be able to stop a bad team (or at least not let a rookie qb on the worst team in the league dice us apart).

Joel Erickson has a good point why Eberflus is so appealing. He mentioned how in every interview he talks about culture and process. Those are good qualities for a head coach. They tend to not worry to much about results. That is kind of the point I was trying to make when I said he very well might make a great HC even though he had mixed results as DC.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

It is very frustrating to me that Flus can have our D come out and dominate or at least look very good in some games versus good offenses (eg, Pats, Cards, Bills) and then be abysmal against garbage teams a week or 2 later (eg, Jags).  This is where I think the blame it on the players argument goes out the window. If he's got the players to shut down good teams, he darn well has the players to be able to stop a bad team (or at least not let a rookie qb on the worst team in the league dice us apart).

I think the issue is the ability of the opponent to attack the weakness of our D.  And that can certainly be about personnel matchups.  Some teams defy their rankings if they have certain things they can be good at against certain opponents.

I know that your examples given are not exact, but the Pats were destroying the D late in the game once they stopped making Unpatriot mistakes.  We hung on to win by the JT run.  Cards aren't good anyways. And the Bills were one dimensional back then.

The issue with the Colts defense is that it does not get stops at critical times, like late in the first half or most of the 4th Q.  When the opponent finally stops playing in a way to avoid mistakes and starts pressing the gas pedal, the defense comes up short against most teams.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think the issue is the ability of the opponent to attack the weakness of our D.  And that can certainly be about personnel matchups.  Some teams defy their rankings if they have certain things they can be good at against certain opponents.

I know that your examples given are not exact, but the Pats were destroying the D late in the game once they stopped making Unpatriot mistakes.  We hung on to win by the JT run.  Cards aren't good anyways. And the Bills were one dimensional back then.

The issue with the Colts defense is that it does not get stops at critical times, like late in the first half or most of the 4th Q.  When the opponent finally stops playing in a way to avoid mistakes and starts pressing the gas pedal, the defense comes up short against most teams.

The Bills haven't been one dimensional all year. The Cards are a playoff team, so they have to be pretty good. At least some of the Pats mistakes we forced, against a good team.

Our D came out flat and seemingly unprepared against the Jags. At least some, if not most, of that is on the coaches.

If we have the ability to stop teams most of the game, that says our players aren't so bad.  If they're getting beat late in games or unable tomake plays at critical times, the coaches have to be held accountable for at least some of that.

Can our defense be improved with a few additional players? Sure, just like every other defense in the league. Should Eberflus get a pass for our Ds inconsistent play? Absolutely not. 

Just now, CurBeatElite said:

The Bills haven't been one dimensional all year. The Cards are a playoff team, so they have to be pretty good. At least some of the Pats mistakes we forced, against a good team.

Our D came out flat and seemingly unprepared against the Jags. At least some, if not most, of that is on the coaches.

If we have the ability to stop teams most of the game, that says our players aren't so bad.  If they're getting beat late in games or unable tomake plays at critical times, the coaches have to be held accountable for at least some of that.

Can our defense be improved with a few additional players? Sure, just like every other defense in the league. Should Eberflus get a pass for our Ds inconsistent play? Absolutely not. 

I don't disagree,  But there is a mild narrative floating around that suggests the problem with the defense is Flus, in particular a scheme or play calling.  That if the scheme was rectified to a scheme fans want then the D is going to improve materially.

I just don't see it.  I see where changing coaches or schemes is just rearranging the chairs.  I see where changing play calls might solve one problem, but will just expose other holes or problems elsewhere that are protected by the current scheme and play call.   

I don't know what flat means really.  If the team comes out with no emotion, I see that as the players lacking interest...maybe they thought they could mail it in against the Jags, or they didn't want to play after having to recover from illness.

I don't see how a coach can fire up millionaires right before a game.

I'm agnostic towards Flus.  If we had a chance to get Schwartz, I think that is an upgrade.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think we are a true FS and and DE away from being an elite D. We haven't had a shut down FS since Mike Adams. Hooker flashed but fell short. If we can land FA Marcus Williams for FS that would help a lot. Get a good DE vet to line opposite Paye and Defo will be freed up more. MAYBE Lewis comes back strong and becomes the DE we need him to be. I like RYS as #1 and Kenny Moore as Nickel, Rogers is good depth, but we my need a #2. Rhodes fell off a cliff. We have a lot of holes to fill on both sides...smh Ballrd will have to have his best FA off season yet to get us back to the playoffs. 

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree,  But there is a mild narrative floating around that suggests the problem with the defense is Flus, in particular a scheme or play calling.  That if the scheme was rectified to a scheme fans want then the D is going to improve materially.

I just don't see it.  I see where changing coaches or schemes is just rearranging the chairs.  I see where changing play calls might solve one problem, but will just expose other holes or problems elsewhere that are protected by the current scheme and play call.   

I don't know what flat means really.  If the team comes out with no emotion, I see that as the players lacking interest...maybe they thought they could mail it in against the Jags, or they didn't want to play after having to recover from illness.

I don't see how a coach can fire up millionaires right before a game.

I'm agnostic towards Flus.  If we had a chance to get Schwartz, I think that is an upgrade.

I understand the logic behind this post, I think. Essentially, you seem to be saying our players are not very good and Flus' job is to mask their deficiencies by scheming against the opponents weaknesses in hopes that we win some sort of guessing game, but once the opposing offensive coordinator figures out our game plan, we don't have the players to compete with any offense in the league. 

Every week, every team and coach in the NFL are watching hours of tape trying to exploit mismatches with their opponent. In the salary cap Era of the NFL, it is very rare for there to ever be a team who has an advantage over their opponent at every position.  Therefore, it is essential for coaches to come up with good game plans and adjust them within games to be consistently successful. 

We have a stud at 3tech DT, which many agree is the most important position in this D. We have arguably the best LB in the game. According to PFF we have 2 top 20 CBs.  I tend to think Moore ii is overrated, but we have a probowl Nickel back. We've got solid LBs after Leonard in Oke, Speed, Adams. We'd certainly be better off if we had an allpro FS and if our DEs got more sacks, but it's not like our DL outside of Stewart is awful. The D has been good enough to shut some pretty good teams down. If we're shutting a team down most of the game, that's a sign that our D players aren't so bad. If your concerns are that our D gets beat late in games, that's either 1) poor coaching adjustments compared to the other team, or 2) lack of conditioning.. or a combination of both. 

In terms of Jacksonville, our guys knew what was at stake.  All week they said it's win or go home, they have to step up, have to change the narrative of us losing in Jacksonville, etc. The players didn't come out flat because they overlooked Jax or because they didn't care or know what was at stake.  They came our flat because they were put into a game plan which was to play a soft D that allowed a rookie Qb on the worst team in the league to cut through our D like a hit knife through butter.

If we're capable of shutting down good teams, there is no excuse for us to get embarrassed by the worst team in the league. The defensive coach has to be held accountable for that loss.

It's not like that is a stand alone issue. Since Flus has been here, the D has at time looked lights out and like a force to be reckoned with and at other times it looks embarrassing. That inconsistent level of play, at some point, has to come back to the coaches. 

There is not a team in the league which has a D with no weaknesses, nor is their an O inthe league that is perfect. Admittedly, I watch the Colts more than any other team, so I may not be 100% right here, but from watching the scoreboards and other highlights it doesn’t seem like there are many teams who have defenses that are as inconsistent as ours.

14 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think we are a true FS and and DE away from being an elite D. We haven't had a shut down FS since Mike Adams. Hooker flashed but fell short. If we can land FA Marcus Williams for FS that would help a lot. Get a good DE vet to line opposite Paye and Defo will be freed up more. MAYBE Lewis comes back strong and becomes the DE we need him to be. I like RYS as #1 and Kenny Moore as Nickel, Rogers is good depth, but we my need a #2. Rhodes fell off a cliff. We have a lot of holes to fill on both sides...smh Ballrd will have to have his best FA off season yet to get us back to the playoffs. 

Ballard doesn't have to do anything crazy for us to make the playoffs. We were huge favorites in the last 2 weeks of the season and we just had to win 1 game to get into the playoffs. For whatever reason, we collapsed. It's not like Ballard is rebuilding a 2-14 team. He has a solid foundation and just has to plug in a few pieces and our young guys need to develop some more.

I hope one of the pieces he plugs in is a FS. 

Just one other comment, Adams wasn't a shut down FS. He was a journeyman in the league. He had some good years for us and provided solid vet leadership. He was a nice fit in our D scheme at the time.  He played well enough to be voted to the probowl.  But when I think shutdown, dominant safeties, guys like We Reed, Bob sanders, etc. come to mind. Adams wasn't that, though he was solid.

21 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I understand the logic behind this post, I think. Essentially, you seem to be saying our players are not very good and Flus' job is to mask their deficiencies by scheming against the opponents weaknesses in hopes that we win some sort of guessing game, but once the opposing offensive coordinator figures out our game plan, we don't have the players to compete with any offense in the league. 

Every week, every team and coach in the NFL are watching hours of tape trying to exploit mismatches with their opponent. In the salary cap Era of the NFL, it is very rare for there to ever be a team who has an advantage over their opponent at every position.  Therefore, it is essential for coaches to come up with good game plans and adjust them within games to be consistently successful. 

We have a stud at 3tech DT, which many agree is the most important position in this D. We have arguably the best LB in the game. According to PFF we have 2 top 20 CBs.  I tend to think Moore ii is overrated, but we have a probowl Nickel back. We've got solid LBs after Leonard in Oke, Speed, Adams. We'd certainly be better off if we had an allpro FS and if our DEs got more sacks, but it's not like our DL outside of Stewart is awful. The D has been good enough to shut some pretty good teams down. If we're shutting a team down most of the game, that's a sign that our D players aren't so bad. If your concerns are that our D gets beat late in games, that's either 1) poor coaching adjustments compared to the other team, or 2) lack of conditioning.. or a combination of both. 

In terms of Jacksonville, our guys knew what was at stake.  All week they said it's win or go home, they have to step up, have to change the narrative of us losing in Jacksonville, etc. The players didn't come out flat because they overlooked Jax or because they didn't care or know what was at stake.  They came our flat because they were put into a game plan which was to play a soft D that allowed a rookie Qb on the worst team in the league to cut through our D like a hit knife through butter.

If we're capable of shutting down good teams, there is no excuse for us to get embarrassed by the worst team in the league. The defensive coach has to be held accountable for that loss.

It's not like that is a stand alone issue. Since Flus has been here, the D has at time looked lights out and like a force to be reckoned with and at other times it looks embarrassing. That inconsistent level of play, at some point, has to come back to the coaches. 

There is not a team in the league which has a D with no weaknesses, nor is their an O inthe league that is perfect. Admittedly, I watch the Colts more than any other team, so I may not be 100% right here, but from watching the scoreboards and other highlights it doesn’t seem like there are many teams who have defenses that are as inconsistent as ours.

Our safeties can't play deep.  RYS and a gimpy Rhodes have problems with their long speed too.   How do we play anything but a lot of soft zone with those conditions?   I mean the facts are there.  We know Rhodes is gimpy...we bash the safeties for not having deep ball skills.  Then we bash Flus for not calling more man coverage?

And the same lack of athleticism impacts tight zone coverage.  If you don't have the athleticism because of a bad leg (Rhodes) or a bad RAS (Rock) or what ever is going on with Moore, how can the DB keep the play in front of him without playing softer?

And with the myriad of coverages we run, against a lot of teams, have you ever seen Leonard or Oke contest a catch over the middle?  Not tackle 5 yards later, but recognize the play, make the lateral move and trail the receiver for a few yards and break up the pass?  Or coming from the other direction, step into the passing lane and contest the pass?  I've seen Leonard do it less than a hand full of times in 2 seasons, and Oke do it once this season.

Just can't coordinate or scheme well enough to over come those realities, IMO.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Our safeties can't play deep.  RYS and a gimpy Rhodes have problems with their long speed too.   How do they play anything but a lot of soft zone with those conditions?   I mean the facts are there.  We know Rhodes is gimpy...we bash the safeties for not having deep ball skills.  Then we bash Flus for not calling more man coverage?

And the same lack of athleticism impact tight zone coverage.  If you don't have the athleticism because of a bad leg (Rhodes) or a bad RAS (Rock) or what ever is going on with Moore, how can the DB keep the play in front of him without playing softer?

And with the myriad of coverages we run, against a lot of teams, have you ever seen Leonard or Oke contest a catch over the middle?  Not tackle 5 yards later, but recognize the play, make the lateral move and trail the receiver for a few yards and break up the pass?  I've seen Leonard do it less than a full hand full of times in 2 seasons, and Oke do it once this season.

Just can't coordinate or scheme well enough to over come those realities, IMO.

Moore is an example of talent at a position that isn't quite as vital. We DL, QN, and Moore probowlers at unnvital positions. Be careful how much money fills those spots... Leonard is the beat run stopper period, but because of our scheme or Leonard's ability he let's TEs burn him consistently. We have to get better as a team in pass blocking/release time, and pass coverage on D.

23 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard doesn't have to do anything crazy for us to make the playoffs. We were huge favorites in the last 2 weeks of the season and we just had to win 1 game to get into the playoffs. For whatever reason, we collapsed. It's not like Ballard is rebuilding a 2-14 team. He has a solid foundation and just has to plug in a few pieces and our young guys need to develop some more.

I hope one of the pieces he plugs in is a FS. 

Just one other comment, Adams wasn't a shut down FS. He was a journeyman in the league. He had some good years for us and provided solid vet leadership. He was a nice fit in our D scheme at the time.  He played well enough to be voted to the probowl.  But when I think shutdown, dominant safeties, guys like We Reed, Bob sanders, etc. come to mind. Adams wasn't that, though he was solid.

Bethea is an example of a FS that makes the Tampa 2 or modified Tampa 2 work. Mike Adams was solid in coverage. Something we haven't had at Safety in years. Hooker was a tease...many fans including myself undervalued his role to that D. He didn't get a lot of throws his way because he shut done his zone consistently allowing Bob Sanders to lay the wood and steal the spotlight...

On 1/18/2022 at 7:43 PM, luv_pony_express said:

I’ll never understand this.

Matt Eberflus is not our problem.  For his defense to perform as well as it has with below average pass rushers and some middling DBs is remarkable.  It’s not his fault Ballard hasn’t filled those spots better.

I’m not the least bit surprised he’s held in high esteem around the league.  Mark my words:  we’ll miss him if/when he’s gone.

Nope. Not one nano second. Can’t wait to see him go. 

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/01/jags-gm-backs-eberflus-for-hc

Sounding more and more like Flus is the fav for the Jags job....

I feel like with how the season ended vs the Jags, our players may not like seeing our DC take the HC job with the division rival that knocked us out of playoff contention. Could make our games against them next season really personal.

Personally, I think Flus would be a fantastic HC, so I'd prefer him to go to Chicago. 

I actually like Flus for their HC job…not that they were interviewing super interesting candidates.

Say what you want about his scheme (and it’s a fair criticism) but he always has our guys playing hard. And things like his whole no loafing system that players always talk about seems to point to potentially building a good culture.

I’m not gonna act like I know much about Morocco Brown but, even though Dodds apparently blew his interview, I’d much rather have him as GM.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I actually like Flus for their HC job…not that they were interviewing super interesting candidates.

Say what you want about his scheme (and it’s a fair criticism) but he always has our guys playing hard. And things like his whole no loafing system that players always talk about seems to point to potentially building a good culture.

I’m not gonna act like I know much about Morocco Brown but, even though Dodds apparently blew his interview, I’d much rather have him as GM.

He will make a good head coach. It’s about managing players as a head coach he has that.

There was a rumor with Wilson to bears last year. Bears don’t have a 1st round pick but could get that back by trading Fields in a 3 way trade.

Archived