Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*

dw49

I think its sadly funny that for all on here that want Flus gone and think he sucks.    He is one of the hottest head coaching candidate out there.  

So either NFL owners and executives don't know what they are doing or maybe just maybe he is a good coach and the armchair GM's are the ones that are wrong.

IMO   Ballard will hire someone to run the same defense.  Because that's what he likes and that is what he is building.   Problem is.   The new hire probably won't be as good as Flus.  

So be careful what you wish for 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I think its sadly funny that for all on here that want Flus gone and think he sucks.    He is one of the hottest head coaching candidate out there.  

So either NFL owners and executives don't know what they are doing or maybe just maybe he is a good coach and the armchair GM's are the ones that are wrong.

IMO   Ballard will hire someone to run the same defense.  Because that's what he likes and that is what he is building.   Problem is.   The new hire probably won't be as good as Flus.  

Sometimes a guy can be a very good HC but designing a Defense they just aren’t good with schemes. 

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sometimes a guy can be a very good HC but designing a Defense they just aren’t good with schemes. 

So you think he is getting these interviews because he is bad at designing a defense?

Just making sure you understand the scheme the Colts run is a 4-3.   And that scheme is not going to change as long as Ballard is here.  It is what he wants.

The Colts base D is 4-2-5 cover 3.    

It is designed to get pressure with the front 4   

A 4-3 scheme needs an 8 man rotation on the D line.   Exactly what Ballard has been saying forever.    The issues with  the Cots this yr is not being able to bring pressure from the edges.  Buckner and Grover do what they are suppose to do, but the young guys at the DE positions are not there yet.

Once Ballard gets the right pass rushers or the ones we have now develop.   Then you will see this D become more dominate. What will happen with the pass rush is the Colts will be able to come out of quarters (cover 4) on 3rd downs  which is what they go to in this situation.   And be able to move more toward man to man.   Which BTW they have been moving towards for the last 2 years.

So there isn't going to be a scheme change in Indy.  Ballard like this and so does Irsay.  He did not like the 3-4

4 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

So you think he is getting these interviews because he is bad at designing a defense?

Just making sure you understand the scheme the Colts run is a 4-3.   And that scheme is not going to change as long as Ballard is here.  It is what he wants.

A 4-3 scheme needs an 8 man rotation on the D line.   Exactly what Ballard has been saying forever.    The issues with  the Cots this yr is not being able to bring pressure from the edges.  Buckner and Grover do what they are suppose to do, but the young guys at the DE positions are not there yet.

Once Ballard gets the right pass rushers or the ones we have now develop.   Then you will see this D become more dominate. What will happen with the pass rush is the Colts will be able to come out of quarters (cover 4) on 3rd downs  which is what they go to in this situation.   And be able to move more toward man to man.   Which BTW they have been moving towards for the last 2 years.

So there isn't going to be a scheme change in Indy.  Ballard like this and so does Irsay.  He did not like the 3-4

Joel Erickson said it well on his podcast. What makes a good head coach is having process in place. Managing players personalities and having them playing hard. The schemes will be left up to coordinators with some input from the head coach. Like he said if you listen to Eberflus pressers he sounds like a HC. Qualities are just different between a HC and a coordinator.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Joel Erickson said it well on his podcast. What makes a good head coach is having process in place. Managing players personalities and having them playing hard. The schemes will be left up to coordinators with some input from the head coach. Like he said if you listen to Eberflus pressers he sounds like a HC. Qualities are just different between a HC and a coordinator.

Fair enough. And that adds another reason why the Colts will miss Flus. 

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

An extra 3rd this year and next, sign me up. Shop Kelly for a 2nd clear some cap and we’re looking at two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders, plus money to make a splash. 

I’d take a 3rd for Kelly. You have to account for the salary the other team is taking on. 

11 minutes ago, #12. said:

I hope they hire him.  

Eberflus taught the D to punch the ball out.  That's good.  Thank you.  Now, schematically, let's move into the 21st century.

What is outdated about this D?    It is one of the most used defense in the NFL.   20 of the 32 teams run a cover 3 

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Yeah, a lot of people aren’t acknowledging the possibility that our defense could actually, you know, be worse off without him.

We’ll see I guess, but I’m definitely not cheering for us to lose coaches. I think Flus has built a really good culture on our defense, lot of guys bought in to the whole loafing system and swarming to the ball.

And yeah, we lacked in sacks and blitzing, but honestly even when we did our guys didn’t seem to get home. Plus Flus has dealt with depleted safety groups for a while now.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Curious.  Do you think the Colts defense under Flus would of let the Chiefs offense move into field goal range with 13 seconds on the clock from their own 25 at the end of regulation?

I have to admit colts aren’t only ones with bad defense at end of games. The games this weekend we’re a good example of that. As teams marched right down field for a FG to win or tie. Problem is those teams have the playmakers on offense to overcome it.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Curious.  Do you think the Colts defense under Flus would of let the Chiefs offense move into field goal range with 13 seconds on the clock from their own 25 at the end of regulation?

Yes I do.    The Bills run the same defense as the Colts but they have some better secondary players.     Although perhaps we would have been able to keep behind them. little more.  But stopping Kelce would not have been good for the Colts who struggle with TE's all the time it seems like.   JMO. 

34 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, a lot of people aren’t acknowledging the possibility that our defense could actually, you know, be worse off without him.

We’ll see I guess, but I’m definitely not cheering for us to lose coaches. I think Flus has built a really good culture on our defense, lot of guys bought in to the whole loafing system and swarming to the ball.

And yeah, we lacked in sacks and blitzing, but honestly even when we did our guys didn’t seem to get home. Plus Flus has dealt with depleted safety groups for a while now.

I've been saying this for a while now. Flus isnt a hot name for no reason, in an age when most teams want to find the next McVay, he's a defensive coach getting interviews big time, that's not a mistake.

Someone made the comment about a HC establishing processes and that's right. Also, you need to show that your strategies are consistently a worry for the opposing team. So, when healthy, have his strategies worked? Have his teams surpassed expectations when you look at the available talent? Those are the kinds of questions a sound GM needs to ask when trying to hire a coach. It's not about whether you run cover 3, any high school coach can run that and speak to it, however can you teach and strategize at the highest level? Can you develop talent?

We complain about the guy so much, you'd be forgiven for thinking we had the #1 defense in the league before he joined up. The Colts defense is way better than it was when he came on board, and that's not simply because the talent has improved....we have worse pass rushers, way worse and you dont do diddly without some semblance of that.

Coaching matters in the NFL but it's also wise to look at the talent available. In a league without any great defenses, you can do way worse than what the Colts have trotted out under Flus. Can it be better? Can it be as good as Buffalo's defense who finished the year as #1? That's the goal, you need talent though.

10 hours ago, Shive said:

I feel like with how the season ended vs the Jags, our players may not like seeing our DC take the HC job with the division rival that knocked us out of playoff contention. Could make our games against them next season really personal.

Personally, I think Flus would be a fantastic HC, so I'd prefer him to go to Chicago. 

Regardless of Flus, any game on the road to Jax should be personal to our players. We've stepped on our ducks going down there for a long time.... Not sure where Flus goes matters. 

For me, it's too hard to project Flus might do. I'm not sure the scheme he's running here, is what he'd do he had total control. 

21 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Once Ballard gets the right pass rushers or the ones we have now develop.   Then you will see this D become more dominate.

Not singling you out, but I finally have to ask everyone.  I keep seeing dominant spelled this way here.  It's not a typo obviously, as it's several letters difference.  I assume people typing it this way, pronounce it "domin-ut" when they say speak, but for as many as I see typing "dominate" I never recall hearing anyone actually say anything other than "dominant". Lol.   I dunno, just odd to me is all, am I the only one that it's like nails on a chalkboard for, both spoken and written/typed?  

Probably, I'm weird.... Lol

3 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Not singling you out, but I finally have to ask everyone.  I keep seeing dominant spelled this way here.  It's not a typo obviously, as it's several letters difference.  I assume people typing it this way, pronounce it "domin-ut" when they say speak, but for as many as I see typing "dominate" I never recall hearing anyone actually say anything other than "dominant". Lol.   I dunno, just odd to me is all, am I the only one that it's like nails on a chalkboard for, both spoken and written/typed?  

Take it easy on the guy haha but I have to admit this post is funny Spider-Man Reaction GIF

6 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

I probably spelled it wrong enough to begin with to have it auto correct to this.  LOL

Archived