Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*

dw49

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Eberflus may very well be a very good head coach. He just isn’t a good DC.

Who do you consider a good DC? Let's remove Belichick from the list.

Secondly, more specifically, who was the last Colts DC who impressed you?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Autry went to a place that was bad (DL stats) last year. 

Houston went to a place that lost a ton of talent this year.

They both individually achieved. 

A front 4 including Defo, Autry, and Houston, should have been far more potent last year. It wasn't. And that's scheme. 

That's not an objective way to look at it.  Autry performed on a DL that has Simmons and Landry.  Autry's addition improved TENs no doubt from last year when he wasn't there, but Simmons and Landry are no drop off from Autry's  Defo and Houston teammates last year.  Not to mention TN has a better secondary and better defensive players throughout.

I'll take Vrabel & Co. as a defensive mind over Flus in general, sure, but I'm not pinning Autry's performance on that.

Houston is old and a part time player so that variable is all over the place for any type of judgment, IMO.

Anthony Walker arguably had a worse year at Clev than he had with the Colts last year.  Is there a way to look at it to convince us that Flus is bad?

If a person continually takes one the side in the chicken or the egg debate, he can make compelling arguments if he wants to.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

First of the candidates to get a 2nd interview. There is talk of him being the favorite.

Great, we can pitch in and buy him a plane ticket.  He had plenty of talent, more then this team has seen since Mathis, Freeney & Sanders.  His plan of playing soft when you have a lead killed many games.  He needs to go, if Jags don't hire him, fire him.  Can't believe the Jags would hire him after the show he put on in the last game....  

15 hours ago, ar7 said:

Lovie Smith is possible. He was the Texans DC last year.

Too much of the same.

15 hours ago, ar7 said:

Gus Bradley might become available depending on who the Raiders go with as their HC.

I think he runs a more single high, Cover 3. I wouldn't be opposed though.

15 hours ago, ar7 said:

I know you said without changing the scheme but there is someone worth mentioning  if the Colts did change up their scheme a bit:

Wade Phillips.

I read his book “Son of a Bum”. In it he mentioned a few different coaches who expressed interest in him as their DC. One of them was Frank Reich. Reich believed he had a shot at the Bills and Jets HC openings. I believe this was 2015 when Wade ended back up in Denver. I doubt Ballard would want to change up things much though.

I don't see us going down this road. We have some pieces that could make the move to a 1-gap 3-4, but our best defensive players aren't as important in that scheme and it would make years of drafting for our 4-3 a waste.

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Mike Zimmer has a long history of making a 4-3 run well, especially with the Cowboys.  I would want to investigate fully the player accusations of him basically being a jerk.  But he's got the goods.

I like Zimmer as a DC, but I don't love the stories that have come out so far about his personality and interactions with the team. There's being hardnose and there's being a jerk. Having players stop to say hey in passing and intentionally ignoring them is problematic.

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

IIRC, Vangio prefers a 34.  Switching schemes to get the right players in the right spots would take a couple of drafts.  Some would carry over, but not all.  Or fund the new roster quickly with mid level FAs ala Grigson.

Fangio runs a 4-3 Under, which is essentially a 4-3 front, utilizing 3-4 personnel. I'm not 100% sold on what that would look like here and if it would actually work well. I feel like I've seen us use a front like this every now and then, but not too often.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Mike Zimmer next in line, keep the system and the players with some tweaks from Zimmer. Or Jim Schwartz.

Like I mentioned above, I like Zimmer as a DC, but some of the stories about how he interacted with his players in MIN makes me think he doesn't match the culture here. Schwartz is kind of a jerk in the opposite way Zimmer is, and if Reich has a good relationship with him from their PHI days, he could be a great DC for us. He might actually be my favorite if Flus takes a job elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Fangio runs a 4-3 Under, which is essentially a 4-3 front, utilizing 3-4 personnel. I'm not 100% sold on what that would look like here and if it would actually work well. I feel like I've seen us use a front like this every now and then, but not too often.

Technically, I think that's what Pagano ran here.  Mathis and Werner were basically DEs more than truly versatile OLBs.  It worked badly because Grigs could never find the "Elephant" OLB that is required...the EDGE guy.   And the ILBs were too slow of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Like I mentioned above, I like Zimmer as a DC, but some of the stories about how he interacted with his players in MIN makes me think he doesn't match the culture here. Schwartz is kind of a jerk in the opposite way Zimmer is, and if Reich has a good relationship with him from their PHI days, he could be a great DC for us. He might actually be my favorite if Flus takes a job elsewhere.

I think Schwarz was jerk as a HC.  Maybe the stress and the limelight is a bad combo for him.  I don't think he has the same issues as a DC.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Schwarz was jerk as a HC.  Maybe the stress and the limelight is a bad combo for him.  I don't think he has the same issues as a DC.

I remember thinking the same thing, but being HC of a dismal Detroit team has to be stressful and I wouldn't think it brings out the best in people. I feel like as a DC, he's always been really well regarded by other coaches and players, so I think you're right in that it may just have been the situation in Detroit as HC.

• Like 1

Probably pair up Flus and Dodds in Chicago. I like it for them honestly.

People who aren’t fans of Flus, that’s fine, but scapegoating him and acting like we’re not gonna see a very similar defense here if he leaves are kidding themselves. I bet we would’ve promoted the guy who Sirianni took with him too, instead we’ll probably just promote the LBer coach. Or somebody else who runs a familiar defense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Eberflus is getting a second interview with Bears too. Didnt one of our assistant GM get a interview there too.

Dodds interviewed there.  I can see a package deal .  Looks like Flus might get his pick of which young quarterback he wants to team up with.  I think Brown might have interviewed there as well.

• Like 1

If you were Ed Dodds, which would you choose?

Chicago Bears, with more existing players to work with, but an uncertainty at QB, and no 1st round pick

or

Jacksonville Jaguars, with a franchise QB already in place, the #1 pick in the draft, but a lot to work on with the rest of the team

14 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Chicago Bears, with more existing players to work with, but an uncertainty at QB, and no 1st round pick

or

Jacksonville Jaguars, with a franchise QB already in place, the #1 pick in the draft, but a lot to work on with the rest of the team

Bears have their QB.  They also are a lot closer then jags.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

or

Chicago is easier to fix. They need receivers and maybe an offensive lineman or two. They’re not far off.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Probably pair up Flus and Dodds in Chicago. I like it for them honestly.

People who aren’t fans of Flus, that’s fine, but scapegoating him and acting like we’re not gonna see a very similar defense here if he leaves are kidding themselves. I bet we would’ve promoted the guy who Sirianni took with him too, instead we’ll probably just promote the LBer coach. Or somebody else who runs a familiar defense.

Gannon was getting trashed after their playoff game. What’s Hillarious it was for the same things everyone complains about with Eberflus. 

Yes the defense could get worse if they make the wrong hire. Hiring from within I think would be wrong.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Dodds interviewed there.  I can see a package deal .  Looks like Flus might get his pick of which young quarterback he wants to team up with.  I think Brown might have interviewed there as well.

Has no one interviewed Jim Harbaugh yet or is the news of teams interested in him oversold?

Flus might think the Colts may be a troubled ship and might want to bolt out of here if given a chance. :) 

15 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

or

I think the talent on the Bears squad is better than that on the Jaguars team, IMO. Justin Fields, with the right OC, might also flourish well as time goes on.

• Like 1

Just now, John Hammonds said:

Bears have a QB.  I'm not yet convinced they have resolved their QB situation.

I am not convinced about Lawrence either, so it is a push to me at this point and the rest of the talent on the Bears is better than the Jaguars, that is where folks are coming from. The Bears can protect Fields from getting into a shootout far more than the Jaguars protecting Lawrence from getting into a shootout at this point.

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

or

Jax due to the QB situation.

17 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ever stop and think him and Baker don’t know how to create a pass rush scheme and it’s not all the players.

But he is being interviewed for a HC job.  So he must be doing something right.  In NFL circles he seems to have a pretty good reputation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

But he is being interviewed for a HC job.  So he must be doing something right.  In NFL circles he seems to have a pretty good reputation.

He very well might be a good head coach when he isn’t in charge of the defense. Different qualities for a HC who needs to manage personalities ect. Which I think he does have. Players do work hard for him.

This attrition will have an impact.  Last year at this time we lost Nick Sirianni to Philly and most thought it was no big deal.  Looking at the 2021 Colts,  I think this was an error..  The Eagles overperformed expectations and the Colts underperformed them.  If Flus goes, we will get to see just how good a HC Reich is next year.  In my opinion, I would move on from Reich now.  I do not think he has brought much to the table.  I believe in 2022 he goes from a "coach of the year candidate" in 2021 to unemployed in the 2023 offseason.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

This attrition will have an impact.  Last year at this time we lost Nick Sirianni to Philly and most thought it was no big deal.  Looking at the 2021 Colts,  I think this was an error..  The Eagles overperformed expectations and the Colts underperformed them.  If Flus goes, we will get to see just how good a HC Reich is next year.  In my opinion, I would move on from Reich now.  I do not think he has brought much to the table.  I believe in 2022 he goes from a "coach of the year candidate" in 2021 to unemployed in the 2023 offseason.  

How does changing Coaches fix the QB situation. It would be a awful situation for any new coach to come in too.

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Poor Ballard.  He got screw3 by Josh and Luck.  Now his hires could be going to better situations than the Colts currently are in.  QB wise for sure.  

The colts situation right now is a mess with no light at the end of the tunnel right now.

• Like 1

• Shive changed the title to Eberflus Interview Thread
13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Well  That might end Eberflus chances there.

I was thinking him and Dodds could be a package deal in Chicago, but I don't think Dodds withdrawing his name means that Flus isn't still a viable candidate for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

or

We sure he is a franchise QB? Should abe a question mark. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Dodds still a possibility for Raiders. He wouldn’t be stupid enough to trade Carr lol.

Dodds with Carr? Oh man that would be very formidable. And, he'd be walking in with a good situation with a coaching staff in Bisaccia if they keep him (they should). 

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yes the defense could get worse if they make the wrong hire. Hiring from within I think would be wrong.

tumblr_m9ulnwroJB1rz8fbho9_250.gifv

Although, James Rowe did a nice job with the DBs this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Too much attrition over a short period of time isn't good, but the Eagles weren't anything special. Same record against a weaker schedule, and their QB/offense had serious struggles of their own. I don't see Sirianni as a major loss that weakened the team or caused our issues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Eagles r  not a good   team. They made the playoffs but if they played in another division they would easily be  below  500. Tampa showed they didn't belong in the playoffs. Thy got 3 1st rounders but it wouldn't surprise me if they won only 6 games next season

• Shive changed the title to Eberflus hired as Bears new HC *UPDATED*