Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday says time to move on from Wentz

2006Coltsbestever

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Agree. And I agree with Jeff. But to who is the question 

I agree with you and Jeff. If Wentz just can't process 2nd and 3rd reads quickly enough (among other things) , it's probably not fixable. If that's the conclusion the Colt brass comes to , I think Wentz will be gone. It's a big cap hit but it still saves money. Mariota , as some suggest could be a bridge ....

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I agree with you and Jeff. If Wentz just can't process 2nd and 3rd reads quickly enough (among other things) , it's probably not fixable. If that's the conclusion the Colt brass comes to , I think Wentz will be gone. It's a big cap hit but it still saves money. Mariota , as some suggest could be a bridge ....

The best business men always have insurance policies or backup plans.

Irsay is no different.

I would bring Mariotta in as a better backup and if Wentz continues to struggle through the 5th game of 2022, you have to bench him and put Mariotta in.

The non-commitment to Wentz from frank is curious. 

How well did Wentz respond to the adversity that he might not be the guy in Philly? Now that frank, of all people, isn’t going to bat for him I gotta wonder if this is gonna cause the same kind of disconnect with him. 

Frank was the one who stood on the table and championed bringing him here. Frank is the one who has gushed about him as a player and a man from day 1. Frank is the one who talked Ballard into making the trade. 

Even if it’s just coach speak like it was last year with Rivers (and it was. He knew Wentz was going to be available, and he knew that was the direction he wanted to go when he said he wanted Rivers back,) the one guy in the world who probably needs to hear it given the situation is Wentz himself. 

But he’s getting left to hang in the wind. 

Hd Pursed Lips GIF

This might sound crazy but I would trade Wentz to a QB needy team such as wth or the giants even if we have to include some money in the deal. Then I would sign Marcus Mariota as my QB. I really think he could play as well as Wentz. Then Ballard has to step up and really draft well with some good trades and FA signings and show us how really good he is. Bottom line is I do not think this team is going any where with Wentz as QB.

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The non-commitment to Wentz from frank is curious. 

How well did Wentz respond to the adversity that he might not be the guy in Philly? Now that frank, of all people, isn’t going to bat for him I gotta wonder if this is gonna cause the same kind of disconnect with him. 

Frank was the one who stood on the table and championed bringing him here. Frank is the one who has gushed about him as a player and a man from day 1. Frank is the one who talked Ballard into making the trade. 

Even if it’s just coach speak like it was last year with Rivers (and it was. He knew Wentz was going to be available, and he knew that was the direction he wanted to go when he said he wanted Rivers back,) the one guy in the world who probably needs to hear it given the situation is Wentz himself. 

But he’s getting left to hang in the wind. 

Hd Pursed Lips GIF

I'm sure Frank and Carson talk often.  I doubt he is being left out in the wind

1 hour ago, Never_Quit said:

This is the part that is getting left out of the conversation. This team is Ballard's vision. Because most of his picks (excluding D line) have been successful, we look at that and see it as a success. But, what if the team he is successfully building is no longer competitive in the NFL?

If you have great players in positions that are of minimal importance you are going to exhaust the cap and miss the playoffs. Guess what we are doing?

4 of the top six rushers are on teams that didnt make the playoffs. 

Just 2 weeks ago after we beat NE the pundits were saying that no one will want to play the Colts in the playoffs. Did we all of the sudden become that uncompetitive or are some jumping the gun now or were the pundits wrong 2 weeks ago?

People talk about our OL and how unimportant they are. When Luck was getting beat to retirement all we could say on this board was to build an OL. Now we find out that most of the OL is of minimal inportance. Were we wrong then or did they just recently become less important or are we over reacting now?

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Move on to whom?  Did he say the possible alternatives?   

Its easy to fire.  The tricky part is the hire.

I guess it depends on... what's your confidence level that this team won't regress next year? If you think we are likely to regress even more then the answer is not really important since we are not going to be fighting for a championship either way and if anything... trying some new inexperienced QB(Ehlinger, Jordan Love if he comes cheap, etc.) might actually be better for the long-term prospects of this team. 

But yah, if the goal is to be as good as possible next year, Wentz is likely the best option. Just, you don't find franchise QBs on the street usually. 

How about Wentz, 2023 1st , 2024 1st and a 3rd for Russel Wilson? One can dream right ? Not sure how the salaries would match. Seattle is in a position to draft a QB and they could cut ties with Wentz after a year. Gives them the draft capital to retool and gives the Colts the QB they need to make a super bowl push the next couple years. Like I said it’s all a dream and like a 1% chance it’d even be considered but if Irsay wants change that’s the kind of change that gets you SBs..

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm sure Frank and Carson talk often.  I doubt he is being left out in the wind

So then frank is just throwing him to the wolves with the media and fans, who are going to spend the next several months creating a similar aura around him that developed in Philly that led to his ouster, instead of helping quell as much of that as he can by just owning up and saying “he’s still my guy next season”? 

That does very little to change the fact that Wentz has a history of bad response to adversity, and frank’s answer creates exactly that. 

bold GIF

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

He’s not better than Tannehill. Like AT ALL!

Yeah, that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny at all.

Wentz with the best RB in the NFL being the focal point of the offense, the highest usage of PA passing in the NFL, a top tier OL and an emerging WR1:

2021 - 62.4%, 3,563 yds (209 yds./game), 27 TD (5.2%), 7 INT (1.4%), 6.9 yds/attempt, 94.6 passer rating, 54.4 QBR, .084 EPA/play, DVOA (16th)

Tannehill, in almost the exact same situation as Wentz, put up far better numbers:

2019 (10 games) - 70.3%, 2,742 (228 yds/game), 22 TD (7.7%), 6 INT (2.1%), 9.6 yds/attempt, 117.5 passer rating, 64.2 QBR, .232 EPA/play, DVOA (5th)   

2020 - 65.6%, 3,819 (238 yds/game), 33 TD (6.9%), 7 INT (1.5%), 7.9 yds/attempt, 106.5 passer rating, 72.6 QBR, .329 EPA/play, DVOA (6th)

Tannehill was basically a top 5 QB for two seasons, meanwhile, Wentz was a middle of the pack QB in what in a season with very depressed QB stats. Those same stats would have put him near the bottom third of NFL QBs last year.

And in that scenario, most fans probably aren't even entertaining Wentz coming back in 2022 (similar to how very few people wanted JB back).

Also, keep in mind that Tannehill didn't have a top 10 defense that was top 2 in TOs and average starting position. He had a bad defense and was forced to put up (7) 4QCBs and (9) GWDs those two year, as well (4) GWDs this year.

Including this season, where TEN lost Henry for much of the season (among numerous other injuries to their OL and pass catchers), TEN is 30-13 since Tannehill took over. And aside from an atrocious rainy game against HOU, Tannehill has been playing better in the 2nd half of the season.

In the past, I have seen so many people credit Tannehill's success in TEN to the situation he was in. Ok...but then what does that say about Wentz? 

10 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

How about Wentz, 2023 1st , 2024 1st and a 3rd for Russel Wilson? One can dream right ? Not sure how the salaries would match. Seattle is in a position to draft a QB and they could cut ties with Wentz after a year. Gives them the draft capital to retool and gives the Colts the QB they need to make a super bowl push the next couple years. Like I said it’s all a dream and like a 1% chance it’d even be considered but if Irsay wants change that’s the kind of change that gets you SBs..

Remember last year when it came after the trade that the trade for Wentz pretty much match Ballard’s original offer months ago and that the Eagles had been holding out hope for a better deal to materialize and it didn’t?  There isn’t a market for Wentz.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Remember last year when it came after the trade that the trade for Wentz pretty much match Ballard’s original offer months ago and that the Eagles had been holding out hope for a better deal to materialize and it didn’t?  There isn’t a market for Wentz.

Wentz would only be thrown in to make salaries work. If that makes sense, I’m not real up on the cap side of trades. 

In a perfect world, Aaron Rogers sticks with the Packers in 2022, and then Irsay does whatever it takes to get him in 2023. Well, ALMOST anything. I'm guessing it would take three 1st rounders (2023, 2024, 2025), a 2nd rounder (2023 or 2024), and maybe even a 5th or 6th. 

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some of that is Wentz wanted to come to the colts. He could of refused another trade by just not showing up. Some teams were probably hesitant since this is where he wanted to be. Why trade for a QB that doesn’t want to come up your team.

2 minutes ago, masterlock said:

In a perfect world, Aaron Rogers sticks with the Packers in 2022, and then Irsay does whatever it takes to get him in 2023. Well, ALMOST anything. I'm guessing it would take three 1st rounders (2023, 2024, 2025), a 2nd rounder (2023 or 2024), and maybe even a 5th or 6th. 

How does that advance the future.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Some of that is Wentz wanted to come to the colts. He could of refused another trade by just not showing up. Some teams were probably hesitant since this is where he wanted to be. Why trade for a QB that doesn’t want to come up your team.

He may want to be here but I don’t feel It’s mutual anymore. I was a huge Wentz supporter but I think there are too many unfixable traits at this point. 

I think the main point stands with most people, sure Wentz could be upgraded, but its very easy to get a QB that performs worse than him as well if it is rushed.

Unlike the Eagles in years past, we have a very easy out next year. Unless an obvious elite talent is available and feasible to get this offseason, it's better off improving the threats on the offense and giving him a go for one more year. 

He has now given evidence in Indy that when he is most needed, he couldn't deliver against the worse team in the league no less. A QB needs to have that ability to win difficult games for a team to get anywhere near the Lombardi, even if the rest of the team doesn't look too hot at times. At the very least to keep it close.

19 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

So then frank is just throwing him to the wolves with the media and fans, who are going to spend the next several months creating a similar aura around him that developed in Philly that led to his ouster, instead of helping quell as much of that as he can by just owning up and saying “he’s still my guy next season”? 

That does very little to change the fact that Wentz has a history of bad response to adversity, and frank’s answer creates exactly that. 

bold GIF

This is a very good point. He doesn’t even have to go as far as you suggest. He could just say he needs to work on a lot this offseason so we can get better.  It also doesn’t hurt just saying he is the QB. If that changes then so be it.

I was just listening to Florio and Mike Golic on NBC sports. Golic said he talked to Reich a few days before the game and he said carson is going to have to step up. I know Reich has to be disapointed too.  But something happened in that meeting with Irsay.

Once they go through all the season tape and get clearer answers maybe the answers to their questions become clearer.

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Luck isn’t walking through that door.  Look at him last night he has slimed down a lot, the last thing he’s thinking about is a return to the NFL.

Yeah.. hopefully he's enjoying his retirement. but he was looking.. old

Manning would come back before him lol

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess it depends on... what's your confidence level that this team won't regress next year? If you think we are likely to regress even more then the answer is not really important since we are not going to be fighting for a championship either way and if anything... trying some new inexperienced QB(Ehlinger, Jordan Love if he comes cheap, etc.) might actually be better for the long-term prospects of this team. 

But yah, if the goal is to be as good as possible next year, Wentz is likely the best option. Just, you don't find franchise QBs on the street usually. 

I think there will very likely be regression next season.

This defense averaged 25 TOs/year from 2018-2020. This season they forced 33 (+8) in 16 games. A huge part of that was a lot of fumble luck, as they recovered 14/18 fumbles they forced.

Leonard nearly doubled his career * this past year with 8. That's part of his game, but it's really hard to count on that happening again, let alone this defense being able to successfully recover so many of them.

You also have some TO luck on the offensive side as well, with INTs being dropped or DBs getting flagged for DPI on underthrown deep balls.

And then you have the run game. If Wentz is here and teams aren't respecting the passing offense, then teams will very likely figure out how to at least slow down Taylor compared to this past year. Plus, there is always the chance of a Taylor injury (like just about every other team deals with when it comes to the RB position).

Couple this with the needs on the roster and not a lot of resources...and I am not sure if being "as good as possible" is in the cards. So, in that scenario, it certainly makes sense to go in a new direction and shake things up.

In regards to Wentz, you run the option play in this scenario.

When running an option play, a QB snaps the ball and keeps it while running towards the edge, all while watching the defensive end. If the D-end commits to the QB, he pitches the ball to the RB. If the end commits to the RB, the QB keeps the ball.

We should keep Wentz while looking to upgrade the QB position. If we find a better QB, we yeet Wentz out of here. If we don't find an upgrade, we keep Wentz and fight for some tough yards.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think there will very likely be regression next season.

This defense averaged 25 TOs/year from 2018-2020. This season they forced 33 (+8) in 16 games. A huge part of that was a lot of fumble luck, as they recovered 14/18 fumbles they forced.

Leonard nearly doubled his career * this past year with 8. That's part of his game, but it's really hard to count on that happening again, let alone this defense being able to successfully recover so many of them.

You also have some TO luck on the offensive side as well, with INTs being dropped or DBs getting flagged for DPI on underthrown deep balls.

And then you have the run game. If Wentz is here and teams aren't respecting the passing offense, then teams will very likely figure out how to at least slow down Taylor compared to this past year. Plus, there is always the chance of a Taylor injury (like just about every other team deals with when it comes to the RB position).

Couple this with the needs on the roster and not a lot of resources...and I am not sure if being "as good as possible" is in the cards. So, in that scenario, it certainly makes sense to go in a new direction and shake things up.

Yep. This is exactly what I was thinking - there are things both offensively and defensively that opponents started figuring out about this team by the end of the year. The offense IMO is almost certainly going to regress. We don't have premier draft picks to get impact day 1 starters, we don't have a GM who splurges in FA and even if we wanted to, we don't have tons of money to spend. IMO it's very likely we take another step back next year, even if we keep Wentz. I've been contemplating some radical options but I'm not sure this forum is ready to hear them so I will leave it for later in the off-season. :D 

18 minutes ago, masterlock said:

That is very far from a perfect world

Maybe a team like Atlanta would swap QB's if we thrown in our 2nd and maybe 4th. We get a good QB for a couple more years, they get a QB like Detroit has, a guy they can dump after a short while without a cap hit. Other than that, who? Sam Darnord? HARD PASS. Tyrod Taylor? Teddy Bridgewater? Nope, good back ups, period. Maybe Jimmy G, but he's erratic as well. I just don't see anyone that we can pry away that has ability.

8 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Two interesting thoughts, Marist Mariota and James Winston. Winston is going to be coming off an injury, but he's a gun slinger.  Slim pickings, I know..

My only question would be can Winston play Reich’s system. He is more of a vertical downfield threat. I would have to go back and look to see how he was with Kamara before getting injured.  How does he do on crossing routes ect. Saints would of had a good record if he hadn’t got injured.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

My only question would be can Winston play Reich’s system. He is more of a vertical downfield threat. I would have to go back and look to see how he was with Kamara before getting injured.  How does he do on crossing routes ect. Saints would of had a good record if he hadn’t got injured.

One thing we’ve seen with Reich is that has no problem tailoring his offense to his QB, his offense with Luck was different from Jacoby which was different from Rivers which is different from Wentz.

Not saying they should go get Winston but I just think Frank would make an offense to work with him if they did.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yep. This is exactly what I was thinking - there are things both offensively and defensively that opponents started figuring out about this team by the end of the year. The offense IMO is almost certainly going to regress. We don't have premier draft picks to get impact day 1 starters, we don't have a GM who splurges in FA and even if we wanted to, we don't have tons of money to spend. IMO it's very likely we take another step back next year, even if we keep Wentz. I've been contemplating some radical options but I'm not sure this forum is ready to hear them so I will leave it for later in the off-season. :D 

Definitely will be plenty of time for discussion of radical options. I think it will really pick up after the SB. 

Initially, I assumed that Wentz would absolutely be back as the starter, but I don't think it's a guarantee anymore.

It's starting to seem eerily similar to the JB situation after the 2019 season.

In both cases, you had a questionable QB (with issues) that really regressed over the second half of their respective seasons. Their play held the team back and played a large part in them missing the playoffs and ending up with middling records (7-9 vs. 9-8).

Both QBs were also essentially under two-year contracts. And both have/had fairly large cap hits the following year ($21.5M for JB and $28.3M for Wentz). Not only that, their contract structures included gtd money that would create a similarly, large dead cap hit if released ($12.5M for JB and $15M for Wentz). 

However, the Colts did elect to keep JB (even with his cap hit) as the backup QB. And they were still willing to spend $25M to bring in Rivers. But JB was the reported locker room leader and was beloved by the FO (including Ballard) and coaching staff. I think it was beyond a business decision for them to keep him around.

But with Wentz, I don't think relegating him to backup QB is going to fly. And there are less resources than before. But I am more curious to know who, outside of Reich, really wants him back. Everybody seemed to love JB, but we don't really know if that is the case with Wentz (especially at the very top). So perhaps they go in a different direction this time.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

One thing we’ve seen with Reich is that has no problem tailoring his offense to his QB, his offense with Luck was different from Jacoby which was different from Rivers which is different from Wentz.

Not saying they should go get Winston but I just think Frank would make an offense to work with him if they did.

Except Wentz needs downfield threats like Winston. That’s my only issue.

Here is the clip from Saturday.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Except Wentz needs downfield threats like Winston. That’s my only issue.

Sitting in the stadium Sunday. There were often plays where guys were absolutely WIDE open. And that includes these threats you claim can’t get open downfield. 

Wentz simply cannot see them, cannot get the ball to them, and simply cannot make NFL throws.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Maybe the question to start with is......Did the team regress this year, or did we just finish the season with a couple of bad games?   How often did we play without starters compared to last year.

I think that question needs to be answered before you can make any significant shakeups for a QB.  To do something other than to roll with the guy that you have already under contract.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Wentz is better than Tannehill and Mitch, no thanks. 

He may be better than Mitch, we've not seen anything of Mitch since the disaster that was Chicago. He is certainly worse than Tannehill. Tannehill has been a top 10 QB every season in Tennessee inc this year. 

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Definitely will be plenty of time for discussion of radical options. I think it will really pick up after the SB. 

Initially, I assumed that Wentz would absolutely be back as the starter, but I don't think it's a guarantee anymore.

It's starting to seem eerily similar to the JB situation after the 2019 season.

In both cases, you had a questionable QB (with issues) that really regressed over the second half of their respective seasons. Their play held the team back and played a large part in them missing the playoffs and ending up with middling records (7-9 vs. 9-8).

Both QBs were also essentially under two-year contracts. And both have/had fairly large cap hits the following year ($21.5M for JB and $28.3M for Wentz). Not only that, their contract structures included gtd money that would create a similarly, large dead cap hit if released ($12.5M for JB and $15M for Wentz). 

However, the Colts did elect to keep JB (even with his cap hit) as the backup QB. And they were still willing to spend $25M to bring in Rivers. But JB was the reported locker room leader and was beloved by the FO (including Ballard) and coaching staff. I think it was beyond a business decision for them to keep him around.

But with Wentz, I don't think relegating him to backup QB is going to fly. And there are less resources than before. But I am more curious to know who, outside of Reich, really wants him back. Everybody seemed to love JB, but we don't really know if that is the case with Wentz (especially at the very top). So perhaps they go in a different direction this time.

I think the situation is a bit different with Wentz. They actually handpicked him to be their QB of the future, they gave up big draft compensation and long-term money for him. Noone was thinking of Brissett this way. He was supposed to be a back up for us and got forced into starting because of the Luck retirement 2 weeks before the season started. Even after that non-commital response from Frank yesterday, I still expect them to stick with Wentz at the very least for next year too. Maybe they bring in better back up to push him and even have as a second option in case the meltdown continues? Mariota? 

I don't know about who's with Wentz and who isn't. TY reportedly liked a tweet by Darius Butler with the Wolverine Luck meme yesterday. Today Pittman posted "MY QB" Wentz story seemingly in support of Wentz. I guess there are varying opinions in the locker room about him. No idea what the higher ups in the FO actually think. I can't believe they are stoked about what they've seen from him. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think the situation is a bit different with Wentz. They actually handpicked him to be their QB of the future, they gave up big draft compensation and long-term money for him. Noone was thinking of Brissett this way. He was supposed to be a back up for us and got forced into starting because of the Luck retirement 2 weeks before the season started. Even after that non-commital response from Frank yesterday, I still expect them to stick with Wentz at the very least for next year too. Maybe they bring in better back up to push him and even have as a second option in case the meltdown continues? Mariota? 

I don't know about who's with Wentz and who isn't. TY reportedly liked a tweet by Darius Butler with the Wolverine Luck meme yesterday. Today Pittman posted "MY QB" Wentz story seemingly in support of Wentz. I guess there are varying opinions in the locker room about him. No idea what the higher ups in the FO actually think. I can't believe they are stoked about what they've seen from him. 

TY liking a tweet about luck probably has nothing to do with Wentz. That is his best friend.

3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Jeff Saturday may have been a great center and he has the right to express his opinion but that doesn't make him an Owner, GM, HC or capologist and those are the people who decide whether or not Wentz stays or goes, and that decision likely won't be made until next season, or later.

Hey, I love me some Jeff S....but he is the homer of homereism. 

I didn't see him address issues with the center after the game. Why? because he was a center and is a homer. 

Archived