Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday says time to move on from Wentz

2006Coltsbestever

7 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Sorry.  Look at the defenses they played.  TN ran a gauntlet when Henry was up.  I love JT but Henry is the best back in the league when he is healthy.  

We werent fully riding Taylor for like the first 4 or 5 games of the season either though, the Titans always ride Henry when he is in.... Give Taylor and Henry the same amount of touches, against the same defenses, i like Taylors odds of coming out with more yards. He is a homerun threat on every play.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its frustrating when people say that he should have traded up for a QB.   The other QB needy teams want a QB too.

Neither Miami was coming off of the 5 slot or LAC off of the 6 slot.  Not even for a king's ransom.  Ballard held on to 13 until just before the draft and gauged the landscape.  There was no trade up opportunity and there was no QB to take with our 1st round pick, unless you wanted to not have a 3T and have Jordan Love instead.

I think you are misremembering. Ballard didn't hang onto to that #13 pick until right before the draft. The DeFo trade happened on March 18, the first day of the new league year (when trades could become official). And reportedly, Ballard was in negotiations with SF since the SB. That deal was in place for a while before they even announced it. I am sure Ballard would have preferred to keep that #13 pick, but he was clearly willing to deal it. 

And after the 1st round when Ballard was asked about GB trading up to get draft Love near the end of the 1st round (which was within striking distance of the Colts), he made some smart comment about sitting back with his feet up and eating popcorn. Drafting a QB early didn't even appear to be on their radar. 

As for that 2020 draft, they didn't have to get MIA or LAC to move off their spots, they just had to trade up in front of them. Going from #13 to #4 is a jump, but it's doable. 

But last year is when I really wanted to do it. Would have been far more feasible. I would gladly take Fields for Wentz (and contract) + Paye right now.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

DET and NYG would have gladly moved down to pick 5 or 6.  They could still get their guy because now MIA and LAC taking the QBs higher pushed them down.  That's what Ballard did when he moved from 3 to 6 in 2018. 

Most teams do not want to move straight down from pick 2,3,4 to 13.  

Getting Tua or Herbert was not an option for Ballard.  It was between Buckner or Jordan Love, IMO.

It might not be most teams, but MIA just moved #3 to #12 this year. Getting Herbert or Tura wasn't an option because they went another direction, not because it was impossible.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We owned them for like 15 years. I bet you they would take our history over their's 100 out of 100 times. Big deal they have had 3 good years in a row, we had that with Luck alone. With Peyton we dominated. My uncle lives in KY, he is a huge Titans fan so I do follow them + they are in our division so any Colts fan will critique them. My uncle is diehard, he loved them when they had Steve McNair. My uncle says Tannehill will be the reason why they go nowhere. He isn't a Top 10 QB anyone that knows football knows that. Sorry. He is basically like Wentz but Wentz has a stronger arm and throws less INT's.

Wentz is Tannehill with a stronger arm and less INTs? Ha okay. Definitely disagree so lets move on.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When the Titans lose in the Playoffs are you going to say I was right? I doubt it but yes lets move on, they aren't going anywhere with that guy at QB.

Yeah, the thing is only one team gets to win in the playoffs every year, the odds of them going 'anywhere' are heavily stacked in your favor so no i'm not going to say you were right about him not taking them anywhere, that's a bad faith statement.

If you dig into your memory a bit, you'll remember hearing arguments that Peyton would never take the Colts anywhere because he wasn't clutch and didnt have this or that.

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah, the thing is only one team gets to win in the playoffs every year, the odds of them going 'anywhere' are heavily stacked in your favor so no i'm not going to say you were right about him not taking them anywhere, that's a bad faith statement.

If you dig into your memory a bit, you'll remember hearing arguments that Peyton would never take the Colts anywhere because he wasn't clutch and didnt have this or that.

Of course, I figured this was the response I would get. Peyton went to 2 SB's here and won 1. If Tannehill wins a SB I will say I was wrong. You said he is  a top 10 so with Henry, he should at least make the SB right? 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course, I figured this was the response I would get. Peyton went to 2 SB's here and won 1. If Tannehill wins a SB I will say I was wrong. You said he is  a top 10 so with Henry, he should at least make the SB right? 

Luck never took the Colts anywhere going by your logic.

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

We werent fully riding Taylor for like the first 4 or 5 games of the season either though, the Titans always ride Henry when he is in.... Give Taylor and Henry the same amount of touches, against the same defenses, i like Taylors odds of coming out with more yards. He is a homerun threat on every play.

I may agree with what Jeff said but he should be the last person talking bout choke jobs. Does he forget the Manning years when they were prohibitive favors only to get bounced from the playoffs year after year?????

I beg to differ, JT is my man some of the play calling they did in the run game was suspect, at times they(Reich) didn't use his strength, don't get me wrong there were some good plays they called but not to JT's strength, timing, RPOs, run sweep etc., You don't pass 26 consecutive times and not try to be creative in the run game in some fashion.  Come on!!

On 1/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, Wentzszn said:

Ballard is the reason we regressed in many areas. He thought it was a good idea to let two vet rushers go. Now whether he did that on purpose because he needed to see what the guys on expiring contracts have. But in doing that he also has to face consequences and they did.

He stood Pat at WR. When we all know it’s weak. I remember saying after FA how bad his offseason was. He just kept everything status quo except the QB position.

He should have kept 1 of the 2 pass rushers IMO! You cant let both walk!

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah probably. I agree no more Luck talk.

This is a song dedicated to Andrew Luck from all Colts fans that miss him.

A line that stands out from the song:

"If it's over now be strong

Can't blame me that your gone 

I've got to carry on"

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When the Titans lose in the Playoffs are you going to say I was right? I doubt it but yes lets move on, they aren't going anywhere with that guy at QB.

People have said that about him all year and how they were going to fall apart without Henry.  Yet they didn’t they just kept winning and they just finished with the best record in the AFC.  You might not like it but he’s a good QB and that’s a good team.  Does that mean they will win the Super Bowl or get there?  Maybe not but that’s not required to be good.  If that were the case guys like Luck, Vick, Rivers, Cunningham, Jackson, and Moon were never good and never played on good teams.  

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

People have said that about him all year and how they were going to fall apart without Henry.  Yet they didn’t they just kept winning and they just finished with the best record in the AFC.  You might not like it but he’s a good QB and that’s a good team.  Does that mean they will win the Super Bowl or get there?  Maybe not but that’s not required to be good.  If that were the case guys like Luck, Vick, Rivers, Cunningham, Jackson, and Moon were never good and never played on good teams.  

They actually didn’t keep winning. They had a bad stretch where colts almost caught them. They just got lucky and got brown and Julio back to help. Their run game has still been good without Henry too. They are lucky they built a cushion.

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They actually didn’t keep winning. They had a bad stretch where colts almost caught them. They just got lucky and got brown and Julio back to help. Their run game has still been good without Henry too. They are lucky they built a cushion.

You mean lucky they beat us both times because Wentz was terrible in both games???  And I don’t want to hear excuses about his ankles.  That game was actually a blessing in disguise for Wentz because he was forced to stand in the pocket and get the ball out on time.  He just once again choked away critical plays (think he had another miss to Pittman for a touchdown in the red zone).

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They went 6-3 without Henry and got the top seed on the AFC yeah I’d say they kept winning and wildly surpassed most peoples expectations for them once Henry went down. During that time they beat two playoffs teams (49ers and Rams) and handed the Saints and Dolphins loses that pretty much kept them out of the playoffs.  They have also won three straight and four of their last five.  So while the Colts wilted under the pressure to make the playoffs they thrived.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Be fair 2006, Wentz has NEVER even won a playoff. While Tannehill at least has 2 playoff wins (albeit with poor stats) and has been to the AFC title game.  But unlike Wentz, he at least knows how not to screw the game up more often than not.  Wentz couldn’t even do enough to get a team with 7 pro bowlers into the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Be fair 2006, Wentz has NEVER even won a playoff. While Tannehill at least has 2 playoff wins (albeit with poor stats) and has been to the AFC title game.  But unlike Wentz, he at least knows how not to screw the game up more often than not.  Wentz couldn’t even do enough to get a team with 7 pro bowlers into the playoffs.

I am just saying with Tannehill at QB, they won't win it all either. When Henry got injured, their D was the main reason why they were winning. They better hope KC gets upset otherwise they won't win the AFC. Yeah they beat KC earlier in the year but KC was struggling then. Playoffs are a new game. 

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Those pro bowlers aren’t at offensive skill positions. Tannehill had so many INT while with Henry and brown out. They just had a cushion with wins and survived.

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

We will see what happens shortly. Titans are basically slightly better than we are. They had games they won where the ball bounced their way perfectly, winning in crazy ways. Congrats to them for making the playoffs, lets see how they do against Buffalo or KC lmao . Beating a very good team twice in 1 season rarely happens. If Tannehill wins it all, I will be the 1st to make a thread and say I was wrong.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They went 6-3 without Henry and got the top seed on the AFC yeah I’d say they kept winning and wildly surpassed most peoples expectations for them once Henry went down. During that time they beat two playoffs teams (49ers and Rams) and handed the Saints and Dolphins loses that pretty much kept them out of the playoffs.  They have also won three straight and four of their last five.  So while the Colts wilted under the pressure to make the playoffs they thrived.

Again they had like a 3 game lead which was actually 4 and colts came close to catching them. They had a bad stretch.  Those big wins came before Henry broke his foot against the colts. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They can catch fire getting everyone back. When they have everyone they can score with everyone. I don’t trust their defense against a team like KC.

Before the season, I had Bills vs GB in the SB. Maybe I should've stuck with that but I have been back on the KC wagon. GB = World Champs though. Rodgers has HFA throughout, he won't miss around this time.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:57 AM, Chucklez said:

Henry is way more of a homer threat than JT.  Henry has had monster signature runs every year and he has done it in playoffs too.  I love JT.  But Henry is a great player.  

3 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Henry is way more of a homer threat than JT.  Henry has had monster signature runs every year and he has done it in playoffs too.  I love JT.  But Henry is a great player.  

Henry is arguably a top 10 RB of all-time, Tannehill is lucky to have him. JT is great but not Henry. I think Taylor is faster but Henry is much stronger.

Archived