Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Pats at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Wentz didn’t have a good game but can we talk about MAC and his annoying drops. He’s 6’6 but plays so small in critical moments. He really needs to step his game up.

I've seen a few comments that we need to use him more and he should be a feature weapon etc. He is a fave of stats guys like PFF, but the fact is if you watch the games, it's clear why MAC isnt featured, he just doesnt have the expected consistency. I'm not sure if it's an ability thing, or what it is but he's been like that in multiple games this season. I've settled on the expectation that he's more useful blocking and can play a role as a secondary weapon on occasion.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Now... I'd still want to point out some negatives but I don't want them to distract from the great overall performance of the team - the defense continues to give up big plays and drives in prevent with big leads. We need to recrify this. This is NOT GOOD. Today we had 20 point lead to enter the 4th. We cannot keep giving away 17 point 4th quarters and keep winning

Yeah, this team is weird.   When we get a 14-20 point lead, that's when I get nervous.   When it's a 7-10 point lead, I feel fine. lol  We need to start finishing and stepping on teams' throats.  After Pittsburgh last year and Baltimore, Tennessee and Tampa this year, a blown lead last night would have been soul crushing, possibly season ending.

Several thoughts: My top 10.

1. We have the best RB in the league who is arguably the MVP of the league. When he goes over 100 yards we are 8-0.

2. How about the Defense! We were flying around all night and Leonard earned his paycheck last night.

3. This is the biggest win in Frank Reich's coaching career here Indy. Snapping that 8 game losing streak vs the rival Pats put a smile on my face all night. It reminded me of when Jim beat Ohio St.

4. The win now gives us an 88% chance of making the playoffs. 

5. We out bullied the bully, we took no crap from them and years past we have. When it got chippy we didn't back down! We were real physical. 

6. We closed against a SB contender in a close game = great sign. Nobody can say we haven't beat a SB contender now or can't close when the pressure is on.

7. We have gained the respect of the media, sports talk media anyway. I listened to sports talk radio a lot last night and they all were saying we are a scary team that nobody wants to play in the playoffs.

8. Wentz had an off game but it was rare for him as he has actually played good most of the year. So no worries there. It is promising that we can can beat a very good team when he throws for 58 yards and an INT. He won't play that bad again going by his body of work this season.

9. How about the 12 man! I haven't heard a crowd that loud at LOS in years. It created havoc for the Pats who committing rare penalties.

10. I love the fact Pats fans, and most of the people on ESPN have to eat crow. I tried to people we would win but they wouldn't listen. They know who we are now! The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)-Time to break out the victory Cigar and watch these games today with no pressure.

Fan-tastic!! My biggest wish for the season. We beat the Pats and did it the Colts ways!

Only got to see the first half last night and watched the second half this morning. 

JT kept doing his thing and the OL did as well. 
I really liked our defensive effort - they brought the juice and their shortcomings were down to scheme more than anything. 

Reich and Brady are probably the leagues best at scripting the first 12-15 plays. After that our offensive effectiveness really drops. Credit to the Pats D of course but we do so much good stuff during those first 1-3 drives and then It just reverts to run up the gut and pass to Pitt. 

So many things to be hopeful about but I am concerned with two areas:

lack of pass rush

Carson’s decision making 

These things can improve and I hope Carson/coaching staff look at decisions because it appears at times he’s locked in to a guy who’s covered when he had somebody else open. 

I wondered why Pittman was ejected along with Dugger when Dugger was the one who started it. Did Pittman hit bac?, Things happened so fast I couldn't tell for sure, but it didn't look like it.

Wentz had an off game, but I'm not concerned. As mentioned, Belichick has a way of making quarterbacks look bad. Wentz will bounce back. 

27 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, this team is weird.   When we get a 14-20 point lead, that's when I get nervous.   When it's a 7-10 point lead, I feel fine. lol  We need to start finishing and stepping on teams' throats.  After Pittsburgh last year and Baltimore, Tennessee and Tampa this year, a blown lead last night would have been soul crushing, possibly season ending.

The other team also plays differently when we have the big lead.  Don't assume that its only us.

Bring Rigo back for sure for the push.   I enjoyed the game and couldn’t help thinking how much we really miss a fast No. 2 Wr.  After watching this game I have to believe Ballard is going to bring in that veteran WR playmaker this off-season.  Time to get serious about plugging a hole or two.  

10 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I wondered why Pittman was ejected along with Dugger when Dugger was the one who started it. Did Pittman hit bac?, Things happened so fast I couldn't tell for sure, but it didn't look like it.

The ejection was probably a mistake by the officials, but he also got too emotional after the altercation.  Should have been focusing on finding his helmet and putting it back on.  Yell when you have your helmet back on.

More thoughts:

• The Tennessee and Tampa game had much better offensive production.  The production from the NE game stunk.
  • The defense carried the victory, as well as some uncharacteristic untimely mistakes by NE.
  • Great win.  Not a great performance, and the Colts will get beaten badly in the playoffs by any team if the offense plays like that.

28 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Reich and Brady are probably the leagues best at scripting the first 12-15 plays. After that our offensive effectiveness really drops.

Why not just run them again later in the game.  Throw in a couple of different plays in the middle somewhere.

35 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Great win, and despite the final score, the Colts dominated!  I am still trying to figure out who Carson was throwing to with his 2nd half interception?

I think the receiver stopped his route and was coming back for the ball after it got tipped, making it look like he was covered more than he was.  I think he was behind three DBs and pulling away when the ball got tipped.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think the receiver stopped his route and was coming back for the ball after it got tipped, making it look like he was covered more than he was.  I think he was behind three DBs and pulling away when the ball got tipped.

People always say what the  hell did Wentz see. But there is always the other side. Did  receiver cut their route short or run the wrong route. It doesn’t always have to be the QB fault.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bring Rigo back for sure for the push.   I enjoyed the game and couldn’t help thinking how much we really miss a fast No. 2 Wr.  After watching this game I have to believe Ballard is going to bring in that veteran WR playmaker this off-season.  Time to get serious about plugging a hole or two.  

Campbell posted on his IG running on a treadmill and said almost time. Maybe he is back Saturday or by the raiders game. 

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The ejection was probably a mistake by the officials, but he also got too emotional after the altercation.  Should have been focusing on finding his helmet and putting it back on.  Yell when you have your helmet back on.

Im pretty sure Pittman pushed Dugger from behind out of nowhere. It also looked like Pittman jr was crying after the brawl.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

People always say what the  hell did Wentz see. But there is always the other side. Did  receiver cut their route short or run the wrong route. It doesn’t always have to be the QB fault.

Looks like Wentz was throwing it to Pascal for a high 60/40 ball against number 32 when the ball was tipped.  ZP was only covered by one player and he seemed to have a step when Wentz released the ball.

Great win!

I have been one of Reich's biggest critics this year and said all week that we have the better team but we will get out coached.

I am very happy to eat my words. Frank I thought out coached the goat.

I am very happy with Carson and I firmly believe we have our franchise QB and can build around him now.

Taylor is the best and our oline is gelling at a great time.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Looks like Wentz was throwing it to Pascal for a high 60/40 ball against number 32 when the ball was tipped.  ZP was only covered by one player and he seemed to have a step when Wentz released the ball.

Yeah that was more on the tip then him making a bad decision. INDY media out in full force today saying I don’t know if Wentz is the guy. After saying he is the guy for weeks. Get him some better WR and him being in year 2 will help. 

I will say I don’t want to turn into the Titans. I don’t want to run Taylor into the ground and that be the only way we win. But with the pass catchers we have right now it is what it is for this year. I expect Ballard to fix the WR group next season.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yeah that was more on the tip then him making a bad decision. INDY media out in full force today saying I don’t know if Wentz is the guy. After saying he is the guy for weeks. Get him some better WR and him being in year 2 will help. 

I will say I don’t want to turn into the Titans. I don’t want to run Taylor into the ground and that be the only way we win. But with the pass catchers we have right now it is what it is for this year. I expect Ballard to fix the WR group next season.

I agree. We need at least one more playmaker on O. 

Imagine us finding the next Gronk…

Hungry The Simpsons GIF

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think we need a upgrade at WR 2 and 3. 

True, but what we really need is an upgrade at TE. Most likely not going to find the next Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, but something a notch below these guys and a notch above Doyle would be extremely helpful to this offense. 

1 hour ago, TD__I-N-D-Y said:

Im pretty sure Pittman pushed Dugger from behind out of nowhere. It also looked like Pittman jr was crying after the brawl.

Pittman kept is great block on the player long after Taylor passed both of them but not after the whistle.  I think the NE getting totally dominated on the play p'd him off and started the post-play altercation.  

32 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Somebody was asking who shoved Rodgers after he gave up the  50 yard bomb. It was rock.

That was obviously a 'cmon man don't give up now, you got this' type moment.

Nothing negative about that play. Adrenaline is flowing and a regular playful shove has a little more oomph to it.

He was clearly (to me) trying not to let his teammate sulk.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

I was seeing the Colts pass rush not getting to Mac Jones at all, again and again and again. Yet Eberflus never blitzed as a change of pace. I don't know, a better QB would have completed more passes that Mac Jones missed. The flea flicker, N'Keal Harry had a few steps on Rhodes, instead Mac Jones overthrew Meyers by the sidelines. I do think the Colts were bailed out by less than stellar QB play by Mac Jones today, the D did a few things good but against better QBs in a close game like this, we would have come up short.

Our pass rush is so bad at times. Bad like all 4 rushers absolutely stonewalled at line of scrimage

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look at the way the guys played.  You could tell by that this wasn’t just another game.  Leonard isn’t going to trash talk after the game because there is nothing to be gained from that, especially when you might very well see this team again in their place.

I mean…yea probably more so since it was against #1 seed (7 straight W) and it being a primetime game but you know Irsay have a speech or 2 this week about the hate for New England. Also, TY 

Archived