Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Houston Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hear ya, beating the non rank contenders are fun but beating the Clubber's and Drago's show you belong. If we beat the Pats I just hope people in here finally say Frank knows what he is doing :thmup:

Never said he didn’t. I’ve said he needs to show growth and be consistent 

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And yet, Kenny has had a very low PFF score for most of this season.   He’s been in the mid-50’s.    

When things like that happen and there are no obvious explanations, I think it’s an injury that the team is not talking about. 

Kenny is digging himself out of a very rough start this year.

He's played very well the last 5 games and has been rising. 

He was in the 40s early, and getting burnt vertically.

Now he's up to around 65 and will rise again after this week's grades come out.

And keep in mind Rhodes was out early, and Kenny was playing out of position IIRC... 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I mean, jvan, be honest with me lol. Is it not a bit of an outlier/extreme for 26 straight passes last week, and 32 JT runs this week. 

I don't mind more passing than running, or vice versa. I just don't want extremes unless it's absolutely required. 

And quite frankly, extremes were not required today vs a horrible team. Just feels like huge swings every week. 

Belichick, honestly I can understand the method to his madness most games. He will go extreme occasionally, but not all the time. He was well within the 60/40 either way last game when they beat TN IIRC, and had great balance when they beat LAC on the road. 

I don't have a problem being run heavy if it's working.   I would like to see Mack or Jackson  take some of the load and not just garbage time.  But even after today he is averaging 18 carries a game.     I know Edge had seasons averaging more than that.     I'm not really concerned about balance game in and game out.   Expose your opponents weakness if they have a glaring one

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

my review in the OP was 80% positive lol.. 

Yup, it was a fine review.

Here are the negatives in this thread from the comments I've read so far:

- Maybe Taylor should not have been run in the 4th quarter when we had a solid hold on the game (I disagree but it's a fine opinion I suppose. Nothing scandalous)

- Fisher didn't have a great game (I think he had a few bad plays too, but whatever)

- One dude saying Kelly should be replaced or something to the effect (This isn't his best year, but he's done solidly in the last few games in my opinion)

People come to the forums to post their opinions and thoughts on the Colts. Sometimes they aren't going to be positive ones or ones you agree with. Nothing you or anyone said above is really that crazy or super negative. Not liking Reich's approach in a single quarter last game is really not that that crazy.

I have been a member of this board since I was like 12 in 2006 (when the URL was forum.colts.com and a patriots fan was a moderator on the Colts forum lol). People have given far worse criticism in that time span for far better teams then we are currently fielding.

What's gotten annoying is how personal some people are letting football opinions from other fans that have 0 influence on the team affect them on every other post.

How did we do today?

GREAT!!!

We did just about everything well.

• Ran for over 200 yards
  • Scored over 30 points
  • Allowed 0 points
  • Allowed only 141 total yards
  • Allowed only 57 passing yards
  • 4 sacks
  • 2 turnovers

The only real things to complain about were JT's fumble and a missed FG.

Ok, Ok, Houston is very nearly the worst team in the league.

But we totally thrashed a team that we were supposed to totally thrash.  We didn't beat them 31-28 while desperately trying to keep them from scoring at the end of the game.

This was a very satisfying win.

And we also kept ourselves from any injuries (as far as I know).

Take the week off.  Rest up.  Get ready.  Don't get the Mysterious Unknown Sickness you are not allowed to mention on youtube without getting demonetized.  And be back here ready to beat a Good Team that you need to beat.

I'm good!

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Kenny is digging himself out of a very rough start this year.

He's played very well the last 5 games and has been rising. 

He was in the 40s early, and getting burnt vertically.

Now he's up to around 65 and will rise again after this week's grades come out.

And keep in mind Rhodes was out early, and Kenny was playing out of position IIRC... 

Fair enough….   But as you noted, Kenny was in the 40’s for a while.    Part of the reason he’s paid so well is because he can play outside well, and not only the nickel.   He’s got versatility.   

So when I see grades that low without a well known explanation, that tells me there’s more to the story.   

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Fair enough,   but it doesn't mean the philosophy is wrong.    I don't like seeing jt touch the ball as much as he did today,  I'm not sure why Mack hasn't been active the last few weeks

Per the colts it’s because special teams which Mack doesn’t play and Jackson does and has done a good job at it.

Mack is pretty much here in case Taylor gets hurt at this point.

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not calling you out.  I always enjoy reading your posts. 

To be fair, everyone has a right to their opinions.  I just didn’t expect that much negativity after todays game.  

Thanks. 

And like someone else said above, there are pessimists, optimists, and realists. I'm the realist who looks at everything. I don't care if we lose 50. I'll still list what I thought were positives in my opening list. If we win by 50, I'll still list the negs. 

The whole balance issue lately is just a swing of extremes, and it's very noticeable to anyone looking at more than just the final score. It's just really strange to be honest. Nobody should be surprised that it's a topic of conversation, regardless of the outcome of the game. 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't have a problem being run heavy if it's working.   I would like to see Mack or Jackson  take some of the load and not just garbage time.  But even after today he is averaging 18 carries a game.     I know Edge had seasons averaging more than that.     I'm not really concerned about balance game in and game out.   Expose your opponents weakness if they have a glaring one

Yup, I would have preferred others get some carries. More than anything though, just didn't want to see 32 from Taylor when the game was already out of reach. I don't care really about the play late when up big. I do think the play mix early could have been more balanced. I was hoping Mack and Strachan would make the active list today, but didn't happen. 

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

At some point all you are doing is nit picking if your looking for negatives in a 31-0 road win.

Please feel free to ignore all of the nit pickers. 

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Fair enough,   but it doesn't mean the philosophy is wrong.    I don't like seeing jt touch the ball as much as he did today,  I'm not sure why Mack hasn't been active the last few weeks

I think it’s pretty obvious that Mack won’t be playing at all unless Taylor gets hurt.  I think he will be playing elsewhere next year.  In fact he is just what the Bills need at RB.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Thanks. 

And like someone else said above, there are pessimists, optimists, and realists. I'm the realist who looks at everything. I don't care if we lose 50. I'll still list what I thought were positives in my opening list. If we win by 50, I'll still list the negs. 

The whole balance issue lately is just a swing of extremes, and it's very noticeable to anyone looking at more than just the final score. It's just really strange to be honest. Nobody should be surprised that it's a topic of conversation, regardless of the outcome of the game. 

No doubt.  Also, don’t people understand that Frank used todays game to put some things on tape for future opponents to look at?  And at the same time, he didn’t show anything because he didn’t have to.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the best coach we have had since Dungy.

I wouldn’t exactly call caldwell and Pagano stiff competition. 

If caldwell hadn’t inherited a team ready to win it all in 2009 (and then promptly gave it away in the Super Bowl. Yeah. I’ll never be not salty at him over it,) his record would look even worse than it does in the end. Despite the SB appearance I may still rank Pagano above caldwell… I dunno, I try not to think about things like this. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair enough….   But as you noted, Kenny was in the 40’s for a while.    Part of the reason he’s paid so well is because he can play outside well, and not only the nickel.   He’s got versatility.   

So when I see grades that low without a well known explanation, that tells me there’s more to the story.   

Purely my opinion, but he's not good outside. At least not good against a vertical team. He got toasted often.

He's an elite NB, and awesome Colts. He'll do what the team needs him to do if our outside CBs are out, but that's not his strength. 

It's similar to Willis's performance when he's playing in the box, or outside of it. Huge and noticeable difference. Willis will perform high level and grade well if he's an enforcer type. When he has to go vertical against anyone with speed, it's just not pretty. That's not a bag on either guy, it's just reality in terms of what they do well, and what they don't do well. 

40 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I’m not sure why Mack hasn't been active the last few weeks

He can’t/won’t play special teams. Reich has said it a couple times this season. Once when it happened early on and the trade farce started, and I believe he said it again after the deadline passed and he was asked if Marlon would be cut since they couldn’t find a trade for him. 

It remains a silly situation. There’s been a few times he would have been of use to us to close out some games, but apparently he’s persona non grata unless Taylor can’t play at all. 

20 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Yup, it was a fine review.

Here are the negatives in this thread from the comments I've read so far:

- Maybe Taylor should not have been run in the 4th quarter when we had a solid hold on the game (I disagree but it's a fine opinion I suppose. Nothing scandalous)

- Fisher didn't have a great game (I think he had a few bad plays too, but whatever)

- One dude saying Kelly should be replaced or something to the effect (This isn't his best year, but he's done solidly in the last few games in my opinion)

People come to the forums to post their opinions and thoughts on the Colts. Sometimes they aren't going to be positive ones or ones you agree with. Nothing you or anyone said above is really that crazy or super negative. Not liking Reich's approach in a single quarter last game is really not that that crazy.

I have been a member of this board since I was like 12 in 2006 (when the URL was forum.colts.com and a patriots fan was a moderator on the Colts forum lol). People have given far worse criticism in that time span for far better teams then we are currently fielding.

What's gotten annoying is how personal some people are letting football opinions from other fans that have 0 influence on the team affect them on every other post.

On the bolded... 

Really, a Patriot mod... WT XXXX lol...

And yup, there's positives and negatives on all boards. I follow a CFB and CBB board too (not as much as the Colts though these days), and I've seen far more criticism given to far better teams too. I can talk pros and cons of ever single player on our roster. Nothing wrong with being fair and balanced in with praise and criticism. 

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Where are these extreme negative posts people are talking about?

Oh, some are saying it would’ve been nice if JT got benched earlier? How awful…

I really don’t get this “this forum is becoming unbearable” sentiment. 

I mean given we're all part of this forum, doesn't that make them part of it being unbearable... 

Game day lately, even against TB, has moved away from the doom mongering and felt a bit more like the good old days. 

We all have responsibility for what we post, and like all these things, you get out what you put in. Looking at this topic and saying it's just blind negativity is lazy.

Yes we won, yes we had a shut out, and that's great. But it wasn't a wow team performance, and we stalled out many times against a pretty bad team. 

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No doubt.  Also, don’t people understand that Frank used todays game to put some things on tape for future opponents to look at?  And at the same time, he didn’t show anything because he didn’t have to.

Yup. I kinda felt like it was a "just be conservative and win, and get to the bye" type game.

And I'm fine with that for the most part. I just wouldn't have worked JT as much. The risk/reward equation once up by 3 scores late just seemed way out of whack. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No win is flawless, constructive criticism is important. Iron sharpens iron

Bingo. I can’t ever remember any (good) coach that I ever had who didn’t make sure to point out there were still things that needed cleaning up and work after a win. Even big wins. 

Perfection has never been achieved, and that’s certainly still true this evening. 

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean given we're all part of this forum, doesn't that make them part of it being unbearable... 

Game day lately, even against TB, has moved away from the doom mongering and felt a bit more like the good old days. 

We all have responsibility for what we post, and like all these things, you get out what you put in. Looking at this topic and saying it's just blind negativity is lazy.

Yes we won, yes we had a shut out, and that's great. But it wasn't a wow team performance, and we stalled out many times against a pretty bad team. 

GIF by Red Bull

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I wouldn’t exactly call caldwell and Pagano stiff competition. 

If caldwell hadn’t inherited a team ready to win it all in 2009 (and then promptly gave it away in the Super Bowl. Yeah. I’ll never be not salty at him over it,) his record would look even worse than it does in the end. Despite the SB appearance I may still rank Pagano above caldwell… I dunno, I try not to think about things like this. 

I thought Caldwell was on the good level, Pagano average level, Frank is a tad better than Caldwell. Caldwell had one of the best teams ever handed to him in 2009. Peyton was the man of that whole team. 

I would probably rank our coaches as this here in Indy:

1. Dungy

2. Frank is 2nd IMO

3. Ted = 1995

4. Caldwell

5. Chuck

-I liked Ron Meyer as well - 1987 was pretty cool. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I kinda felt like it was a "just be conservative and win, and get to the bye" type game.

And I'm fine with that for the most part. I just wouldn't have worked JT as much. The risk/reward equation once up by 3 scores late just seemed way out of whack. 

Agreed.

that said, I’m really glad he was able to preserve the shut out by doing so 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Agreed.

that said, I’m really glad he was able to preserve the shut out by doing so 

I am one of only two that voted that we'd shut them out lol....

Not that I think our D is great, more about that Texan O is just super stinky.

Had we been balanced early on O, I think we could have easily put 50+ on them.

Was really hoping they'd use this game to get some targets to Patmon and Strachan. Glad to see our rook RB get some carries. 

10 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Post game thought "Man what am I gonna do for the next week with no Colts game" lol 

Yup. That was similar to my #10...

No Colts, and no ND... Some decent NFL action though I guess, but not the same.

Just happy our guys get some rest. Several really need it.

Archived