Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Houston Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

8 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I found the post distasteful for two reasons and thus I commented on it. First I’ve never heard of it being called takeaways vs take-out, and secondly it said something like living around the corner from a Chinese. To me it came across as someone saying that a Chinese lived around the corner and has takeaways (as in stealing). If it had said Chinese restaurant then I wouldn’t have taken it the way I did because of the wording. Now that I understand the nuance of takeaway vs takeout it makes sense what was being said. It’s all just a misunderstanding.

We have several INTL posters. Different terms and phrases. If ever in the UK, don't get offended if someone asks you for a cigarette lol

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It was also nice to see Hines have a good game today. It’s good when he gets involved.

Especially with New England coming after the bye.  They are a good run defense and I expect BB to make the Colts beat him throwing to anyone not named Pittman and Hines could be key in that area.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Seems like those sweeps with Pittman were also to put it on film to give NE something to think about.  We really didn’t need to use them.

I think it just shows the Colts can run the ball without Taylor so teams can’t just key on Taylor (they are going to anyway) but it’s another way to try to keep defenses honest.  Reich mentioned after the Bucs game it’s hard to scheme ways for Taylor to get yards every week when other teams know he’s what the Colts want to run.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

How about that beautiful throw and catch by Dulin today. He is making his case for more touches.

One more game and maybe we get Parris back. Willis made a huge difference today.

He also had some good blocks and of course the special teams play.  I think he takes Pascals role in the offense next year where he does the ugly stuff asked of WRs.  They still need a legit number two WR next year.  It doesn’t have to be a star like Adam’s (wouldn’t complain if it was him) but they need a guy who isn’t always hurt and can be a solid option.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

He also had some good blocks and of course the special teams play.  I think he takes Pascals role in the offense next year where he does the ugly stuff asked of WRs.  They still need a legit number two WR next year.  It doesn’t have to be a star like Adam’s (wouldn’t complain if it was him) but they need a guy who isn’t always hurt and can be a solid option.

We probably need 2 if TY retired. The top 3 need to be better. Then you have Campbell and Dulin as 4 and 5.

Zak Keefer said he has been told Dulin has been very impressive in practice.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

We probably need 2 if TY retired. The top 3 need to be better. Then you have Campbell and Dulin as 4 and 5.

Well Campbell will be back and I think they will expect the two young kids to fill some of the gaps as well.  Dulin and Pittman give you five so they are probably looking for one and a good practice squad kid.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Well Campbell will be back and I think they will expect the two young kids to fill some of the gaps as well.  Dulin and Pittman give you five so they are probably looking for one and a good practice squad kid.  

I just don’t want to depend on Campbell. It should be a luxury. We should look to replace him while keeping him on the roster if that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I just don’t want to depend on Campbell. It should be a luxury. We should look to replace him while keeping him on the roster if that makes sense.

I think he’s the slot guy next year with Dulin as his backup.  In a perfect world Strachan or Patmon would become your number two but odds are they will have to go get someone.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think he’s the slot guy next year with Dulin as his backup.  In a perfect world Strachan or Patmon would become your number two but odds are they will have to go get someone.

Yeah that won’t happen. We need a speedy deep threat. We are really missing a deep vertical threat. I would like them to spend in FA on a WR and draft one in the 2nd or 3rd.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

She is awful. She thinks she is funny and entertaining and she isn’t.

She is far from awful. She's probably the smartest female sports writers/analysts out there right now, and has several awards. She's considered an up and comer. Yale degree IIRC... 

And she's really not anti Colt. She picked us to be one of the top AFC teams last year and this year (her only concern IIRC was Fisher). She's actually argued for us with some of the other more "awful" analysts. 

58 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Especially with New England coming after the bye.  They are a good run defense and I expect BB to make the Colts beat him throwing to anyone not named Pittman and Hines could be key in that area.

They really aren't teams have been able to run against them. What they are good at is forcing turnovers and scoring off them.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Houston is truly horrible.

We "out-talent" them in just about every area. Only debatable area is maybe Greenard at DE, but the DL overall is easily Colts advantage. They have a decent receiver or two, but nobody to throw it to them. 

I think I said in the other thread that we should win just by showing up so long as we don't implode ourselves.

But yes, not a typical game. It was a conservative-just-win-and-get-to-the-bye type of game.

Now lets rest up, get healed, and come back to kick Belichick in behind.

I guess you didn't consider this a signature win Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditorlmao . I had too, this was such a butt kicking that it was comical. Houston sucks, how did they beat the Titans?

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also stop with the valid insults you are better than that.  There is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension and I understood what they said just fine.  No point to try to make it personal and petty.

nice-to-meet-you-kettle-kettle.gif

I thought you were too until I saw the "whiners just want to whine" comment. 

That’s not what the poster I quoted said that’s what you said.    That post I quoted complained that Taylor got too many hand offs not that he should have come out sooner to avoid injury. 

that's great to claim in hindsight, but in your post you clearly were referring to more than just that one poster:

Oh please after listening to people whine and moan all last week that the Colts didn’t run Taylor enough the Colts do exactly what the fans say they should have done last week and now the fans are whining he did it too much.  Some here just like to whine and it shows.

5 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Mina Kimes always takes digs at the Colts any chance she gets lol.

Yep every week she picks against the Colts, maybe she got a bad steak at St. Elmo one time or Peyton Manning ignored her at one time lmao . She also said LeBron James was the greatest basketball player ever, I lost all respect for her there anyway because Micheal Jordan is and it isn't even close.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

She is far from awful. She's probably the smartest female sports writers/analysts out there right now, and has several awards. She's considered an up and comer. Yale degree IIRC... 

And she's really not anti Colt. She picked us to be one of the top AFC teams last year and this year (her only concern IIRC was Fisher). She's actually argued for us with some of the other more "awful" analysts. 

She is bad, that cute giggly smile can only get you so far. She isn't even close to a Sage Steele or Suzy Kolber as far as being an analyst or having football knowledge. 

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Constructive criticism sure, even I said I would have liked to have seen a few more play action passes.  Maybe they just didn’t feel like they had to do it and they are saving it I don’t know.  

I share the concerns about Fisher and have for a while.  He’s good in the run game but he’s really struggling in the pass game and has been for a while.  

However, it seems like all some want to do is focus on the negative and discount anything positive.  When you win 31-0 there is a lot more positive than negative.  That doesn’t mean there is no negative as you pointed out but todays team did something they haven’t done since 1992.  A road shut out and yes I know it came over the Texans who are horrible but even when they were an expansion team the Colts didn’t shut them out on the road.  

Also for all the concerns about all the running the Colts kept going to that well because the Texans weren’t really stopping it.  Taylor averaged 4.5 ypc and the Colts as a whole averaged 5 ypc.  Not every game is going to have perfect balance and when you are able to run that well you aren’t going to throw it a lot when the only thing that can really let the Texans back into the game is a momentum shifting turnover and maybe even a pick six which is far more likely to happen than a fumble return.  Also Taylor carried it 32 times.  Wentz threw it 22.  That’s not that far off balance, especially when you consider the Colts had a three score lead a large portion of the second half and were working on the clock as much as anything else.  

I also think the other reason the Colts leaned on the run more today is the true lack of a second WR.  People here have talked about it and it was referenced on the broadcast.  The Colts need a consistent second option in the passing game.  

The last reason they kept running is that’s what Taylor does.  It’s body blows.  Teams get tired of tackling and in the fourth we saw it like the announcers said what were three yard gains earlier turned into five to 10 yard gains later.  That came from the Colts wearing them out with the run.  With that said I would like to see a little more creativity and not just banging it into the line like they were early.  It’s okay to run outside some with Taylor, that tends to be when he breaks his big ones. 

it’s fair to say hey it wasn’t perfect and they need to work on this.  No one is going to have an issue with that as long as people acknowledge the positive which, in fairness some here have done and I don’t think those are posters people are talking about when they said hey didn’t the Colts win today, what’s with all the negative talk?

We could win 99-0 and someone would still complain that Taylor didn't get enough carries or Wentz over threw TY for an easy TD otherwise we would've scored 100. haha 

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Constructive criticism on this board has no importance.

Posting can be educational, entertaining, or most often just a place to vent.
 And then there are the arm chair, self assured, beat it to death, ever annoying, what i woulda done, how it shoulda been done'ers.

Hey did anyone notice who had 4 sacks, and that we had 11 QB hits?

Yep, Turay and Muhammad played career games today. Stewart was in there a lot too

56 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I can't stand her. Somehow, she seems to think she knows more about football than former players, current coaches and GMs.

So she’d make a perfect poster on this forum wouldn’t she

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess you didn't consider this a signature win Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditorlmao . I had too, this was such a butt kicking that it was comical. Houston sucks, how did they beat the Titans?

Any given Sunday thats how

Careful the last time I posted the top picture it was removed and I was told it was racist…

As a black man, I’d really like to know how they spun that into racism. Then again, no I don’t. There’s too much of that crap getting claimed all around us these days and We’d be going down a hole. So I’ll just leave it at this, NUTS! And back to football

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

2 simple questions.

1. When did wanting balance become an irrational or outrageous expectation? And nobody is saying we have to have 50/50 perfection. 60/40 or 40/60 is fine game to game... Even more if you're down a lot late is fine.... 
  2. Why is it so crazy to question 30+ carries by your best player in a meaningless game vs a bad opponent when your up three scores late... And conversely only 2 combined carries in 2 quarters vs a top team in a very close game..... 

These aren't crazy questions. I get it, you want to defend Frank. But the questions are more than fair. You can line up on either side of the debate, but it's ridiculous to dismiss all of it like they aren't fair questions.  

The questions are very fair and really are what a fan forum is about, after all if you cant raise those issues here then where else do you do that?

Ultimately though, the premise is entirely subjective. What is balance? Balance to me isnt balance to you, and is different from balance to Frank Reich. Not too long ago, there were threads questioning why we were being conservative with JT, even though at the time he was on pace to average on the higher end of RB carries (i think he was on pace to have the 2nd most carries only behind Henry), now we have games where the complaints are about how he didnt get a carry at X point in the game, and then why he had over X number of carries (even though the bye week is next week and he gets a deserved rest), then next time it'll be why Hines got Y carry not JT, then why we passed 9 times on a certain drive instead of dotting in one run, it is one thing or the other.

At some point when 75% of what Frank Reich does brings up question marks, you start to wonder what a dog is really barking about. It sure isnt his football coaching, the results over the years have him as a top 5 (and t the minimum top 10) offensive mind in the league and lets not pretend Indianapolis has had a coach like that in a long time, if ever. It's one thing with Peyton leaving star dust on every player and coach he touched while here, it's another thing entirely when Carson Wentz, JT, and Pittman are carrying the burden every week, and dusting every defense and DC regardless of pre-game ranking. 

Can we be better? Yes. Have we had a mind like Frank Reich here before? If we have, please point out that man to me. Can we play even better? Yes. Will there always be a talking point? Even if we win the SB, i get the feeling the answer is a sound yes. It's all subjective.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The word some use for cigarette in the UK has a different use here. 

You don't want to know what we call certain types of meatballs too... 

I read somewhere recently there is actually more recognised regional dialects in the UK compared to the US, despite the huge size difference. I guess it comes from States being the founding piece over there, while it was villages/hamlets here. 

I could start using rhyming slag to really confuse people.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I've never had an issue with her, there's far worse out there, and at least she seems to have more than a passing knowledge of *checks notes* the Colts. That's how you say it right?

All joking aside, and I know it's easy to criticise a job that you do live, but some of coverage is just poor. Clearly not researched the teams they're covering. 

I quite like Cynthia Frelund too.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess you didn't consider this a signature win lmao . I had too, this was such a butt kicking that it was comical. Houston sucks, how did they beat the Titans?

I mean it was good in that even when the O was having stutters the D was improved, but against the Texans it's hard to tell. They dragged us down to their level at points I felt. But yes, no one is complaining about winning 31-0.

However, being realistic, there were still some bad points to go with the good. I think Fisher was exposed again and that's going to be an interesting decision at the end of the season, especially with less draft capital.

16 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean it was good in that even when the O was having stutters the D was improved, but against the Texans it's hard to tell. They dragged us down to their level at points I felt. But yes, no one is complaining about winning 31-0.

However, being realistic, there were still some bad points to go with the good. I think Fisher was exposed again and that's going to be an interesting decision at the end of the season, especially with less draft capital.

There were comments made by Mr Ballard that led me to believe Fisher coming in was a multi season operation i.e. he was expected to really hit his stride towards the end of this season and into the next. I can see competition being brought in but i'd suspect it'd be of the cheaper variety and not a heavy investment in the draft or FA which means it's unlikely fans will be happy :) .

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Coming off an Achilles injury usually takes a player a complete year to fully recover. I haven't been critical of him because of this. I think he will better next year despite his age. I wouldn't sign him to a long deal but maybe 2 years or so. He is our best LT unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Coming off an Achilles injury usually takes a player a complete year to fully recover. I haven't been critical of him because of this. I think he will better next year despite his age. I wouldn't sign him to a long deal but maybe 2 years or so. He is our best LT unfortunately. 

That is always the danger of Achilles injuries, don't get me wrong, I hope he pans out. If anything I was more upset we didn't sign him for longer than a year in the first place. 

I think it just shows the Colts can run the ball without Taylor so teams can’t just key on Taylor (they are going to anyway) but it’s another way to try to keep defenses honest.  Reich mentioned after the Bucs game it’s hard to scheme ways for Taylor to get yards every week when other teams know he’s what the Colts want to run.

I honestly hate statements like these.  Football is a tough sport.  Sometimes you just have to line up and punch your opponent in the mouth.  So what if they know we’re going to run, make them stop it for 4 quarters.  That’s why Henry usage was so high.  After a while, it gets hard to take someone down when you’ve been getting beat up all game.  The way the Titans were using Ryan before Henry got hurt is the way we should’ve been using wentz.  

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

That is always the danger of Achilles injuries, don't get me wrong, I hope he pans out. If anything I was more upset we didn't sign him for longer than a year in the first place. 

When the draft roles around, it makes me wonder if Ballard won't draft a LT with his 1st pick which will be in the 2nd round. Having said that I would love to see another WR drafted, then maybe a CB after that and Fish pans out for 2 years.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When the draft roles around, it makes me wonder if Ballard won't draft a LT with his 1st pick which will be in the 2nd round. Having said that I would love to see another WR drafted, then maybe a CB after that and Fish pans out for 2 years.

Even if Ballard did draft a LT they are not going to be in position to start right away. We are probably going to have to bring Fisher back and hopefully that year helps him. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The questions are very fair and really are what a fan forum is about, after all if you cant raise those issues here then where else do you do that?

Ultimately though, the premise is entirely subjective. What is balance? Balance to me isnt balance to you, and is different from balance to Frank Reich. Not too long ago, there were threads questioning why we were being conservative with JT, even though at the time he was on pace to average on the higher end of RB carries (i think he was on pace to have the 2nd most carries only behind Henry), now we have games where the complaints are about how he didnt get a carry at X point in the game, and then why he had over X number of carries (even though the bye week is next week and he gets a deserved rest), then next time it'll be why Hines got Y carry not JT, then why we passed 9 times on a certain drive instead of dotting in one run, it is one thing or the other.

At some point when 75% of what Frank Reich does brings up question marks, you start to wonder what a dog is really barking about. It sure isnt his football coaching, the results over the years have him as a top 5 (and t the minimum top 10) offensive mind in the league and lets not pretend Indianapolis has had a coach like that in a long time, if ever. It's one thing with Peyton leaving star dust on every player and coach he touched while here, it's another thing entirely when Carson Wentz, JT, and Pittman are carrying the burden every week, and dusting every defense and DC regardless of pre-game ranking. 

Can we be better? Yes. Have we had a mind like Frank Reich here before? If we have, please point out that man to me. Can we play even better? Yes. Will there always be a talking point? Even if we win the SB, i get the feeling the answer is a sound yes. It's all subjective.

tbh, I’ve seen people complain mostly about using wentz too much and not using JT enough.  Other than that, people are complaining about lack of talent on the ends. I don’t think anyone was opposed to JT being used more…and Hines in the passing game.

not sure where you’re getting the nitpicking point from.  The complaints about Reich have been consistent all year.  Especially in our losses.

Archived