Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Houston Postgame Thoughts


EastStreet
 Share

Recommended Posts

  1. It's a win... thank you
  2. JT is a beast, and was killing some heavily stacked boxes. 
    1. Did he really need 32 carries into late in the game?
  3. Carson good and efficient
  4. Pittman and Hines both had very nice games
  5. Kenny and AQM balled out on D
  6. Nice to see Turay get some success
  7. Is balance on O just not possible? Even vs a bad team like Houston?
  8. TY was un-TY like vs Houston
  9. Dulin making contributions on both STs and O
  10. It's nice to have a bye coming up to rest guys, but gonna miss FB next week.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice efficient win. Efficient in both run and pass. Can’t say much more. Texans have to clean house because they have nothing on that team. 
 

Side note I know Eghlinger has only played garbage time minutes but he seems poised.

 

Kelly I think was missed at first but we got it together. Fisher continues to struggle in pass protection. Not sure how many snaps Pryor had bur looks like he got a few snaps at LT.m

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, I’m happy for the dominant win. All sides played well, (aside from the missed field goal), but hey…31 points. Not much to complain about.

 

Coming into this game I knew there would be a over compensation to make up for the lack of runs last game.

 

Would be nice to have some run/pass  balance to keep defenses honest and guessing.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh and forgot.....

 

Pinter wasn't half bad. I know he had one false start, and gave up one pressure (got CW knocked down), but overall, I thought he did really well. I didn't notice much drop off from Kelly. It's not that I was focusing in on him a lot, but I just didn't notice much bad... Which is a good thing for the young man. Gonna be interesting to see his grades. 

 

Hooray Pinter!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:
  1. It's a win... thank you
  2. JT is a beast, and was killing some heavily stacked boxes. 
    1. Did he really need 32 carries into late in the game?
  3. Carson good and efficient
  4. Pittman and Hines both had very nice games
  5. Kenny and AQM balled out on D
  6. Nice to see Turay get some success
  7. Is balance on O just not possible? Even vs a bad team like Houston?
  8. TY was un-TY like vs Houston
  9. Dulin making contributions on both STs and O
  10. It's nice to have a bye coming up to rest guys, but gonna miss FB next week.

TY at this point is just another body out there

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was hoping to see some flashes from TY today. But I think it’s just time to acknowledge that it’s over. May be a few nice plays sprinkled in here or there, but the days of him being a game changer are over. And they have been for a minute. 
 

The offensive line was bad today. Fisher… ooooooooof. 
 

Everyone with a functional brain has said all season that we’re not going to bench Wentz to try and save the 1st rounder, I kinda wonder if they’ve been a little shy to pull him in situations like today just to avoid anyone getting the idea that’s what we’re trying to do. Not sure why Taylor was left in as long as he was, though. 
 

I said it in the game thread, I’ll say it again here. I wanna see more Dulin, even if it means less Pascal at this point. Pascal coming into this season was an interesting prospect. He had a really prime opportunity, he started out hot, but it just hasn’t materialized. Dulin has made a couple nice plays two weeks in a row, wouldn’t be doing our homework if we didn’t keep tossing it his way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, csmopar said:

Now if we can just get a D... 

 

What they should do at the end of the regular season is allow the playoff teams to draft X players from eliminated teams based on seeding. Let's say we're the 7th seed and had first pick of an eliminated AFC team's players, who you picking?

 

Less flippantly, our D is so weird. They're not abjectly awful, and you don't fluke that many takeaways, but you can move the chains on it pretty easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, csmopar said:

Now if we can just get a D... 

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

He is older, he knows his body, He is the 3rd greatest WR in Colts history. The Regular season to him is MEH. He knows what he is doing, I would do the same thing = pace, be careful not get injured. He had a catch in this game for 15 yards where he stretch out and dragged the feet like he did back in 2014. He will be fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a win so thank goodness for that.

 

I did think the Texans might have kept this game closer. Their defense had been playing well and I thought Taylor/Cooks could do enough damage against the pass defense. That wasn't the case though. 

 

I was hoping to see more out of Paye and Dayo. Did Dayo even play? I don't expect them to be dominate but would like to see a strong finish to the year and I thought this was a game they might stand out a bit. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, colts89 said:

On to the Patriots.

Once we win this game the whole nation will take us serious. I feel so good about this game that I would bet on it. I really do. BB is hard to beat, they have a very good team but we aren't losing to a rookie QB at home. Mac is great in that system but he isn't Tom, time to show him what time it is. Mac doesn't scare me at all if we make a mistake, Tom did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

What they should do at the end of the regular season is allow the playoff teams to draft X players from eliminated teams based on seeding. Let's say we're the 7th seed and had first pick of an eliminated AFC team's players, who you picking?

 

Less flippantly, our D is so weird. They're not abjectly awful, and you don't fluke that many takeaways, but you can move the chains on it pretty easily.

 

I'm thinking more and more that it's more scheme than player talent.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

I still think there are questions in the secondary here, but the scheme is built to go 'cheap' in the secondary so...

If we get Turnovers in critical situations then our Scheme looks great but against the Elite teams we haven't this year. I think we beat the Pats and force their rookie into one though, so we will see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we get Turnovers in critical situations then our Scheme looks great but against the Elite teams we haven't this year. I think we beat the Pats and force their rookie into one though, so we will see.

 

The development of the pass rushers is the key. Losing Lewis was a blow, but if Turay/Paye/Dayo can flash down the stretch then it will cover a lot of things in the secondary. Kenny is Kenny, and even on a down year I think one of the best slot CBs  you'll find. I'd not be surprised at a day 2 CB next draft. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

I still think there are questions in the secondary here, but the scheme is built to go 'cheap' in the secondary so...

 

I don't disagree. I just feel we vary too much on the back end, and not enough on the front end. For being cheap on the back end, we seem to change coverages constantly, which has to stress guys. And our vanilla front four could be soooooo much more dynamic if we just moved them around more. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:
  1. It's a win... thank you
  2. JT is a beast, and was killing some heavily stacked boxes. 
    1. Did he really need 32 carries into late in the game?
  3. Carson good and efficient
  4. Pittman and Hines both had very nice games
  5. Kenny and AQM balled out on D
  6. Nice to see Turay get some success
  7. Is balance on O just not possible? Even vs a bad team like Houston?
  8. TY was un-TY like vs Houston
  9. Dulin making contributions on both STs and O
  10. It's nice to have a bye coming up to rest guys, but gonna miss FB next week.

 

I mostly agree with what you wrote there.

I think we're witnessing the last season of T.Y. Hilton as a Colt and perhaps as a NFL player. He's on a 1 year deal, and I doubt we will resign him, or he intends to play any further. (If I'm correct, he almost called it a carreer last year)

Sometimes HOU D seemed to figure out JT and he struggled, later in the game he powered them. 32 carries is a way to high, especially in a such one sided game. 

I also would like to see a more balanced offens, but seems like after decades of passing paradise, Indy is a run-heavy team. I think Reich will balance the O playcalling more, when we're  facing teams with good run-D (just like last week vs, Bucs.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

I still think there are questions in the secondary here, but the scheme is built to go 'cheap' in the secondary so...

 

Yeah I agree. I don't think there is enough talent there regardless of scheme.

 

I was for the switch and thought it made a lot of sense. With Luck at QB they could add what they needed to on offense pretty easily. Moving to this type of defense would make it easier to win with younger players which I figured would be needed.

 

The rules, the QBs in the game today, and talent at WR makes me doubt whether you can be a real contender without putting more of an emphasis in the secondary. Better pass rush will help, depth can be improved, but even beyond those two things I think a premium CB is needed on the outside.

 

That doesn't mean you have to go to a completely different scheme. It just needs to evolve more to the NFL in 2021. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

 

I mostly agree with what you wrote there.

I think we're witnessing the last season of T.Y. Hilton as a Colt and perhaps as a NFL player. He's on a 1 year deal, and I doubt we will resign him, or he intends to play any further. (If I'm correct, he almost called it a carreer last year)

Sometimes HOU D seemed to figure out JT and he struggled, later in the game he powered them. 32 carries is a way to high, especially in a such one sided game. 

I also would like to see a more balanced offens, but seems like after decades of passing paradise, Indy is a run-heavy team. I think Reich will balance the O playcalling more, when we're  facing teams with good run-D (just like last week vs, Bucs.)

 

Houston was just loading the box which we expected. This week though, we didn't abandon, and kept at it. 

 

And yup, TY is likely gone. Still wouldn't be shocked if he signed a cheap/team friendly deal to try and hit some milestones. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EastStreet said:

 

Well then, seems Frank is making the same mistake that a lot of the sunshine folks are....

 

The complainers are not simply complaining about JT not running it, they are complaining about lack of balance first and foremost.

I get it but I am having fun with this because I think Frank made it an effort to run JT into the ground after last week because everyone was bashing him. Just a fun and common sense thing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...