Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Bucs Post Game Reaction (Merge)

EastStreet

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This wasn’t because Wentz isn’t good  enough. There is a argument to be made we don’t have enough receiving weapons. Go get a couple more playmakers at WR and that changes a team being able to shut down the run game. We shut doen Tampa WR but because they are so good it opened up the run game for them.

I appreciate we can have differences in opinion, but better receivers likely won't result in Wentz learning how to feel the rush and not to make incredibly reckless decisions 7 years into his career.

But yes of course, better receivers would also help. We probably have at best a middling array of weapons.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Fans are going to have to realize the stuff that happened in camp lead to the first four weeks of us being bad and not ready for the season. We are not playing bad right now. Players made too many mistakes today.

there is zero killer drive on this team ,  when things go right they dominate .   its when things go wrong in any way they cannot execute on big moments in the game .   that is what made the colts good under polian they could be losing to the texans and playing bad but when the games on the line they showed up to win . when we are down a score in a tight game it feels like the game is over most of the time .  same on defense it did not feel like a talent issue today more of a mindset . 

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised you don't understand basic football things like 

keeping a D honest

don't ice your best player. find a way to keep him involved

don't get into a shootout with the goat

run the clock when you're up

turnovers happen less when you run the damn ball

good teams win with balance (unless they have a goat)

Well, 16 attempts against TEN was also described as "icing".  Against TB, we Iced our best player in the first half with 8 attempts and scored 24 pts against the SB winners.  So maybe some times you do it. 

I'm not defending 22 straight passes, saying it for about the 4th time now.  

Just to refresh your memory, we scored a lot of point against a very good BALT defense by, IIRC, passing a lot.  Frank tried to run out the clock in the 3rd qtr by running JT too much against Lamar.  Lamar.  Even Lamar rallied the Ravens with 20 minutes left.

Frank said about BALT that he took the pedal off the gas and ran in places where he should not have.

31 pts against TB, 41 against BUF, 31 against TEN, 38 against NYJ, 25 against BALT (blew it in the 4Q by running)

The scores show me that Frank knows how to game plan and call plays for the most part based upon the opponent and the Colts personnel he has to work with this season.

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

there is zero killer drive on this team ,  when things go right they dominate .   its when things go wrong in any way they cannot execute on big moments in the game .   that is what made the colts good under polian they could be losing to the texans and playing bad but when the games on the line they showed up to win . when we are down a score in a tight game it feels like the game is over most of the time .  same on defense it did not feel like a talent issue today more of a mindset . 

Which means I’m my opinion we need better WR. Jack Doyle was awesome today. But wheee are the rest of our receiving options. It’s time for pascal to move on. Go get a couple more big tilt weapons.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

You mean adjustments like when you come out and try to run and it doesn’t work and your first three positions go three and out and you come back and go to the pass and put up 21 in the second quarter?

He did adjust and his adjustments were working until Fisher missed a block badly, Winfield made an amazing play, Hines muffed a punt and Pascal didn’t secure the ball.  Those are all player mistakes not bad play calls.

You keep saying that. But you have to adjust to game flow, what they are showing .I dont care what you say you can not abandon the run especially on 3 man fronts. Look atvwhat Tennessee did with Henry they never gave up on him in a game. 

Also our defence is never going to get it done with Flus. Frank needs to get in his ear. I am so tired of nice guy coaches. 

And I like Frank. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, 16 attempts against TEN was also described as "icing".  Against TB, we Iced our best player in the first half with 8 attempts and scored 24 pts against the SB winners.  So maybe some times you do it. 

Just to refresh your memory, we scored a lot of point against a very good BALT defense by, IIRC, passing a lot.  Frank tried to run out the clock in the 3rd qtr by running JT too much against Lamar.  Lamar.  Even Lamar rallied the Ravens with 20 minutes left.

Frank said about BALT that he took the pedal off the gas and ran in places where he should not have.

31 pts against TB, 41 against BUF, 31 against TEN, 38 against NYJ, 25 against BALT (blew it in the 4Q by running)

The scores show me that Frank knows how to game plan and call plays for the most part based upon the opponent and the Colts personnel he has to work with 

Refs were the difference and I hate saying that. 

46 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I assure you it wasn’t for punt returns. I never said he should be cut or not used as a rb. You think he got a new contract because of special teams?

I really don’t know why he got that contract. I think there are players available for less money. Not sure if the benefit and value are there.

Alot here to process.  I’ll have to let it all sink in.  Good and bad in this game.

Main positive takeaway.... 

We can beat anyone if we dont beat ourselves.

main negative takeaway:.......

We can beat ourselves against anyone.

Turnovers were the deciding factor I guess in this one.

7 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Refs were the difference and I hate saying that. 

Could be.  Do you really think that the Refs want Brady to win?

I think that Brady helps to train players how to get away with penalties in the passing game.  NE did that way back with Manning and Harrison.

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Alot here to process.  I’ll have to let it all sink in.  Good and bad in this game.

Main positive takeaway.... 

We can beat anyone if we dont beat ourselves.

main negative takeaway:.......

We can beat ourselves against anyone.

Turnovers were the deciding factor I guess in this one.

And....giving up 37 points.  4 TDs by a RB.  IOW, not the soft zone, non blitzing, non stunting narrative either.  Our defense gives up critical points any number of ways.

its weird how frank is the exact opposite of chuck  .  chuck would be a bad coach when it came to schemes but he had a fight in him that the team carried and always fought back .   frank is great at schemes but the team under him gets content playing good against good teams and just falls flat .   teams take on their coaches personalities most of the time .

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The colts didn’t score any points until they stopped running with Taylor.

That is not true.

He might not have scored the touchdowns but don't discount how much of a difference your rushing attack can make even if you aren't averaging big yards per carry.

Here is breakdown of each series for the Colts offense today:

Result Plays Pass Run Taylor - Runs

Field Goal 3 1 2 2

Punt 3 3 0 0

Punt 3 2 1 1

Fumble 2 1 1 1

Touchdown 3 2 1 1

Touchdown 10 6 4 3

Touchdown 14 12 2 0 (End of 1st Half)

Fumble 8 8 0 0

Interception 7 7 0 0

Punt 3 2 1 0

Touchdown 10 2 8 8

Interception 2 2 0 0 (End of game, Hail Mary)

Total 68 48 20 16

Percent of Total 70.59% 29.41% 23.53%

The only time they scored on a drive without Taylor was at the end of the first half in a 2 minute situation when they put Hines in there.

Taylor is BY FAR the best player on offense for the Colts. If we could ask every coaching staff in the league who on the Colts is most concerning to go against i'd be shocked if Taylor wasn't the name they all say. Wentz, Pittman, Doyle, and Hilton are not what worries teams...it's Taylor. He is top 3 at his position. None of the others (QB, WR, TE) are top 3 (or 5 for that matter) at their position.

You have to get the ball in the hands of your best player and you have to maintain some sense of a rushing attack to keep defenses honest. That didn't happen today to the extend it needed to.

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I really don’t know why he got that contract. I think there are players available for less money. Not sure if the benefit and value are there.

Gotcha. For a second I thought you was suggesting he got the 2nd contract for special teams. 

I don’t dislike him, he is a weapon on offense, probably got more than his use warranted, but not complaining about that. I just don’t understand why he is the punt returner and I’ve complained about it before today.

7 minutes ago, ar7 said:

That is not true.

He might not have scored the touchdowns but don't discount how much of a difference your rushing attack can make even if you aren't averaging big yards per carry.

Here is breakdown of each series for the Colts offense today:

Result Plays Pass Run Taylor - Runs

Field Goal 3 1 2 2

Punt 3 3 0 0

Punt 3 2 1 1

Fumble 2 1 1 1

Touchdown 3 2 1 1

Touchdown 10 6 4 3

Touchdown 14 12 2 0 (End of 1st Half)

Fumble 8 8 0 0

Interception 7 7 0 0

Punt 3 2 1 0

Touchdown 10 2 8 8

Interception 2 2 0 0 (End of game, Hail Mary)

Total 68 48 20 16

Percent of Total 70.59% 29.41% 23.53%

The only time they scored on a drive without Taylor was at the end of the first half in a 2 minute situation when they put Hines in there.

Taylor is BY FAR the best player on offense for the Colts. If we could ask every coaching staff in the league who on the Colts is most concerning to go against i'd be shocked if Taylor wasn't the name they all say. Wentz, Pittman, and Hilton are not what worries teams...it's Taylor. He is top 3 at his position. None of the others (QB, WR, TE) are top 3 at their position.

You have to get the ball in the hands of your best player and you have to maintain some sense of a rushing attack to keep defenses honest. That didn't happen today to the extend it needed to.

To the bolded…they still brought JT in on that 4th down play too. It was actually smart…made the D think run again. Part of the reason it worked.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The scores show me that Frank knows how to game plan and call plays for the most part based upon the opponent and the Colts personnel he has to work with this season.

LOL.. .we lost all 4 games. He must be brilliant. lol.

Icing doesn't mean zero touches. In the first TN game he got very few carries at all. In the 2nd TN game he was gone for long stretches like today.

Here's a simple stat..

When JT runs 18 or more times, we're undefeated 4-0. 

We he runs less we're 2-6, and those two wins were Houston and Miami, which we should beat just by showing up... 

Here's another simple stat....

When we throw the ball 35+ times, we're 0-5

So perhaps it's good to run more than 18 times, and throw less than 35.... whatcha think?

giphy.gif

This game wasn't about running the football. The Colts scored 31 and had little issues moving the ball against that defense. 31 should get you a W. 

This was just losing the turnover battle. You cannot make mistakes against the best sides, and you definitely can't win when the turnover battle reads 5-2.

Onto the next one. The game i have circled is the Pats game. That's our playoff game.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

This game wasn't about running the football. The Colts scored 31 and had little issues moving the ball against that defense. 31 should get you a W. 

This was just losing the turnover battle. You cannot make mistakes against the best sides, and you definitely can't win when the turnover battle reads 5-2.

Onto the next one. The game i have circled is the Pats game. That's our playoff game.

every week is a playoff game and needs to be played like one. 

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And....giving up 37 points.  4 TDs by a RB.  IOW, not the soft zone, non blitzing, non stunting narrative either.  Our defense gives up critical points any number of ways.

Yea, i scratch my head at this D.

They looked like league-leaders in the 1st half.  
   The nickname should be “the bipolar defense.”

There is many ways to look at this game.  If somebody told me that the Colts was going to have 5 turnovers against the Bucs I would of asked how bad Colts would have been blown out. Yet they was just one shoestring tackle away from tying the game up.

I don't think Frank called a bad game at all, Yes i do believe should have had more carries but you ride with whats working. 

As fans we get caught up in moment alot but after last weeks game and this weeks we know the Colts can hang with anybody run or pass they just have to not shoot themselves in the foot. I think the refs were biased a bit but the biggest breakdown was after the D got a huge stop the Bucs punt and Hines muffs the fair catch putting the defense back out there. 

When you are looking to put ball in air bad things can happen.  Wentz to Pascal - fumble after catch. Wentz sack fumble, Wentz to  Pittman - Interception.  Things were made worse by Hines muff on punt. I think that is the point - about  showing more of a ball control offense.  If we ran another 6 to 9 attempts we might have reduced some of the turnovers and perhaps put more points and not give them the ball whereby they marched downfield to score.  Our miscues were covered into points.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am not going to put too much on the defense because the offense kept turning it over and they were out there a lot.

Almost like they should have ran more and chewed up clock. Use the entire play clock, run to the edge, short quick hitters to Doyle was money, stay in bounds, keep using clock. Wear the D out. Now that would have been brilliant.

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL.. .we lost all 4 games. He must be brilliant. lol.

Icing doesn't mean zero touches. In the first TN game he got very few carries at all. In the 2nd TN game he was gone for long stretches like today.

Here's a simple stat..

When JT runs 18 or more times, we're undefeated 4-0. 

We he runs less we're 2-6, and those two wins were Houston and Miami, which we should beat just by showing up... 

Here's another simple stat....

When we throw the ball 35+ times, we're 0-5

So perhaps it's good to run more than 18 times, and throw less than 35.... whatcha think?

giphy.gif

people don't get it even if the run game gets stuffed it effects the pass rush .  most teams have a nascar like package like the colts use which is meant for passing downs .   the titans get it with henry he can be averaging 3 yards a carry they still feed him then he wears down the defense and starts going off in the second half . 

25 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea, i scratch my head at this D.

They looked like league-leaders in the 1st half.  
   The nickname should be “the bipolar defense.”

I think our defense looking good is a product of the opponents offense not taking a lot of risks, or setting it up for certain plays when the time on the clock matters.  When opponents need to move the ball, they typically have no problems.

Some confuse our defensive bipolarism with poor defensive coordination.  Nope.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

There is no spin.  The fact is that we scored 24 points in the first half of the game by not running JT and by passing.  

People are reacting like Frank called JT a lot in the first half, scored 24, then abandoned JT in the second half to let the Bucs back in.  Talk about bias and spin, LOL.

I agree, 22 consecutive passes is extreme though.

I don’t think we scored 24 by just running.  But I do feel like we didn’t mix it up.  The Bucs were able to mix it up in the second half, and that’s when we couldn’t stop them.  We stopped them like three straight possessions in the first half.  The three and outs in the second half killed our defense.  And that was a nonsense PI call vs. Ya-Sin that setup their first TD.  I don’t think all of Reich’s play calling is bad.  There was also a lack of execution from the QB and WRs too at critical times.

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Broncos win. So now Broncos and raiders are ahead of us. They play KC for first in the division next week. Broncos winning was bad for the colts. Keeps them in a WC spot and just adds another team to the mix.

broncos winning was good for the colts if they lose colts are 2 games back for the last playoff spot . with the chargers losing we are one game back from the wildcard right now

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Which means I’m my opinion we need better WR. Jack Doyle was awesome today. But wheee are the rest of our receiving options. It’s time for pascal to move on. Go get a couple more big tilt weapons.

ballard will never go for a high value wr he will only draft one in the second or third round or pick up a sammy watkins type of a guy .  it will never happen only way we get a elite wr is if we draft one which would take a couple years for them to be good .

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

They never gave up all the way til the last play.  Wentz is getting better on throwing the ball away however he needs to get rid of it quicker. Those players do believe they can beat anybody.

13 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I don’t think we scored 24 by just running.  But I do feel like we didn’t mix it up.  The Bucs were able to mix it up in the second half, and that’s when we couldn’t stop them.  We stopped them like three straight possessions in the first half.  The three and outs in the second half killed our defense.  And that was a nonsense PI call vs. Ya-Sin that setup their first TD.  I don’t think all of Reich’s play calling is bad.  There was also a lack of execution from the QB and WRs too at critical times.

We scored 24 by icing JT in the first half.  But, they weren't 80 yard drives through the air either. 

There are often details about the numbers that make drawing conclusions from the numbers often erroneous.

I think there is no doubt that the play calling can be wonky at times.  But, I also don't expect the Colts to score or even move the ball every series.  When you score 31 points and as many points as we have this season, I assume that the punting stats will show that we punt the ball fewer times than most clubs. That's the sign of a consistently good offense, IMO.

I certainly don't think that Wentz is responsible for our offensive production as much as Luck was during the Pagano years.  The coordination is much much better, IMO.

But screen passes on the goal line, and calling 22 straight passes in a row doesn't help Frank in the eyes of those who already planted their flag into the opinion that he's a bad play caller and then look at every game through that lens.

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

people don't get it even if the run game gets stuffed it effects the pass rush .  most teams have a nascar like package like the colts use which is meant for passing downs .   the titans get it with henry he can be averaging 3 yards a carry they still feed him then he wears down the defense and starts going off in the second half . 

Yup. Way too many here that just don't understand basic 101 type of football strategy. Become one dimensional, and teams adjust. After a few up the gut short gainers, we went heavy pass. It worked for a quarter, then they adjusted. We never adjusted and kept doing the same stuff until 8mins left in the game...  too late.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Way too many here that just don't understand basic 101 type of football strategy. Become one dimensional, and teams adjust. After a few up the gut short gainers, we went heavy pass. It worked for a quarter, then they adjusted. We never adjusted and kept doing the same stuff until 8mins left in the game...  too late.

We aren’t stupid. Not everything is black and white.

Archived