Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Bucs Post Game Reaction (Merge)

EastStreet

I've said it about 5 times, but for someone who brings out a copper rod and preaches not getting too high or too low, Frank's play calling is oddly all-or-nothing.  You're either gunning it, taking multiple shots or you're not throwing it at all.  

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

So we’re just a painfully easy team to defend then. :dunno: 

If Frank is that scared to run against a stacked box all anyone has to do to beat us is just stack the box and force us to pass every down. 

When Wentz has to throw 30 times or more in a game we’re 3-6. For those keeping track at home every one of our losses has featured 30+ passes. All 6 of them. 1.000. Perfect score. 

As in maybe there’s a connection there. 

So there’s the blueprint. Bully the man afraid of stacked boxes, and your chances of winning increase drastically. 

Embarrassing and shameful.  

Maybe if the defense stacks 8 men in the tunnel before kickoff they can scare him into just forfeiting the whole damn game. 

Probably checks in his closet and under his bed every night at bedtime to make sure there’s not 8 men in the box there, too. 

Clearly there’s sarcasm and satire featured in this post, but just how much I’m not sure. 

He wasn’t afraid. We did it the entire first quarter and it didn’t work. What got us points was passing.

You all are acting like we quit running and the passing game wasn’t working at all. That isn’t what happened.

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

I've said it about 5 times, but for someone who brings out a copper rod and preaches not getting too high or too low, Frank's play calling is oddly all-or-nothing.  You're either gunning it, taking multiple shots or you're not throwing it at all.  

We had a bunch of intermediate passes. It wasn’t all deep.

23 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

The drive with the TD to Dulin…isn’t that the series Frank went with 6 OL to counter the 5 DL…and it worked, and never saw it again. Seems odd. 

Based off his comments and the actual results of the game I’m not sure this wasn’t the game plan. I don’t think he had any interest in seeing if the running game could get going or if a balanced approach was obtainable.

Did you not watch the first quarter. Lmao

16 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I agree for the most part about the balance aspect. The same goes for most QB's in the league and Wentz is definitely part of that group. It wasn't a gotcha question. 

You just don't want to be Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield where when those guys get given more responsibility, they can't handle it. Wentz is in that tier this season. He's not proven we can rely on him to win games with his arm. That's why when people try to already say he's the guy, I cringe a little. 

Didn't take it as a gotcha. Just answered it how I see it.

I've never seen Wentz as a savior. I've seen him as guy who can play at a high level when put in the right position. Especially at first. I have no doubt he can take the load and be the hero at times when needed though. He played plenty good enough today. 3 TDs and 300+. Neither INT was his issue, nor was the fumble. 

But today wasn't setting him, or the team up for success. Wentz + Taylor can be elite. Just one will win you some games on their own when the other is limited, but one on their own isn't a recipe for consistent success. And we've basically asked Wentz to win almost half the game we've played. That's just super dumb, and has resulted in 0-5... 

Wentz isn't a savior, so I don't cringe. I cringe when the game plan treats him as a savior. Perhaps he can be a savior at times when we're down, but he's not a turn water into win kinda guy every week.

10 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Seems odd. 

Speaking from a conventional standpoint, absolutely. 

Speaking from a point of 4 years with frank… 

I think “odd” is the new norm. He’s finally got everything he wanted offensively this season and these…. Abnormalities…. Keep happening. Regularly. When we saw these kind of %shows early in the season they seemed irregular and dare I even say shocking. 

Now it’s just… it’s that thing that happens. Like flipping a coin. It’s just random chance. 

We’ve seen it today. We’ve seen it before today. And at this point you can bet your * we’re going to see it again. It’s just the new norm. 

Shocked Sesame Street GIF

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Did you not watch the first quarter. Lmao

Yes twice now, what the heck are you laughing at? They didn’t even attempt a run the 2nd series, even though they started 1st and 5 due to a penalty. The series they brought in jumbo set, Taylor started getting good runs. Then the PA to Dulin. LMAO. Last drive of the half, one run to Hines, JT on sidelines. When do they score, after JT comes in. You have 0 clue. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There were a wide variety of problems today.

You expect players to make mistakes. And we did. For instance our pass D/scheme hasn't been good for years, so not shocked or disappointed they struggled covering Gronk. 

You expect refs to screw us at times. They did. Not shocked Brady got calls. 

I can accept all that. 

What I find hard to accept is the pattern we've seen for years when it comes to pass happy game plans, and failure to adjust. 

IMO we had the talent to win today (and in earlier losses). We had mistakes for sure, but coaching/scheme on both sides was the difference. I expect more out of everyone, not just players.

It’s much more on the players this game because of the turnovers. Can’t turn the ball over 4 times in critical moments and expect to win for sure. But I do agree the coaches let us down to a degree here as well. 

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Yes twice now, what the heck are you laughing at? They didn’t even attempt a run the 2nd series, even though they started 1st and 5 due to a penalty. The series they brought in jumbo set, Taylor started getting good runs. Then the PA to Dulin. LMAO. Last drive of the half, one run to Hines, JT on sidelines. When do they score, after JT comes in. You have 0 clue. 

We ran it a lot the first quarter. They stopped us and Wentz had to make some great thirds down plays. We didn’t abandon the run to start the game.

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

It’s much more on the players this game because of the turnovers. Can’t turn the ball over 4 times in critical moments and expect to win for sure. But I do agree the coaches let us down to a degree here as well. 

If we're running the ball more, less opportunity for 3 passing game turnovers.

One turnover less, and we're likely walking away with a W.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He wasn’t afraid. We did it the entire first quarter and it didn’t work. What got us points was passing.

You all are acting like we quit running and the passing game wasn’t working at all. That isn’t what happened.

Oh yeah? I said the passing game wasn’t working? 

… Where? Please, quote the post. It’s wherever you found it last time. 

No one said it wasn’t working. You’re another one that can’t see the forest because all those damn trees are in your way. 

We lost because we turned the ball over. 

We turned the ball over because we made it easy for the defense to create turnovers. 

We made it easy for the defense to create turnovers by…………………

……………….

…………

……….

……..
. . .

Playing bad defense and giving up 38 points, right?

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We ran it a lot the first quarter. They stopped us and Wentz had to make some great thirds down plays. We didn’t abandon the run to start the game.

No, and I'd be surprised if anyone made the claim that they abandoned the run to start the game so no idea why you think that was a relevant point.  Frank abandoned the run in the 2nd half, when they had a 10 point lead going against Tom Brady.  Taylor didn't get his first carry until Wentz called an audible 5 and a half minutes into the 4th quarter.  If they throw in even a couple of rushing attempts on the first and second drives in the 3rd, then Tampa can't pin their ears back and go after Wentz the way they did, meaning the strip sack likely doesn't happen.  That strip sack is what killed any momentum the colts had, and momentum is something that Reich apparently just doesn't believe in.

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

No one said it wasn’t working. You’re another one that can’t see the forest because all those damn trees are in your way. 

We turned the ball over because we made it easy for the defense to create turnovers. 

……………….

…………

……….

……..
. . .

If the passing game wasnt working you would be correct. But we stuck to what was working. 

Hines muffled Punt and Zachs fumble after getting first didn’t had Nothing to do with defense teeing up. 

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

……………….

…………

……….

……..
. . .

I don’t blame the defense that much because the offense turned it over to many times. You can’t give Brady that many chances.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

If the passing game wasnt working you would be correct. But we stuck to what was working. 

Hines muffled Punt and Zachs fumble after getting first didn’t had Nothing to do with defense teeing up. 

No, but if frank hadn't completely abandoned the run to start the 3rd quarter, then Tampa can't tee off on Wentz, and the strip sack very likely doesn't happen.  Therefore the game changes from that point on, the Colts don't lose all of the momentum and the muffed punt likely doesn't happen either.

So just read some pressure stats... 

Our trenches sucked again... lol

Our DL got only 8 pressures. So glad we don't have Autry or Houston... lol.

Our OL gave up 15 pressures. 

Q gave up zero pressures. Hooray beer. I expected less of him than the other, but he f'ing kills it.... 

The other 4 all gave up minimum 3 each... 

Fisher and Smith on the hook for the 3 sacks.

So then your argument is that the 14 points off of turnovers from the defense teeing up in the 3rd had nothing to do with the loss then? 

Unless those 14 points didn’t get added to the Bucs score that’s a load of nonsense. 

Just now, J@son said:

No, but if frank hadn't completely abandoned the run to start the 3rd quarter, then Tampa can't tee off on Wentz, and the strip sack very likely doesn't happen.  Therefore the game changes from that point on, the Colts don't lose all of the momentum and the muffed punt likely doesn't happen either.

They didn’t tee off in Wentz that much lol. The passing game was clicking.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The passing game stopped working after the 2Q.....

Pascal is part of the passing game. Fisher is part of the passing game.

Both were responsible for turnovers in the 3Q in the first two drives that resulted in 14 Tampa Bay points... 

We lost by 7. The math is not hard.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

We lost a tough one to the defending Champs.

Disappointing, considering this is at least the 3rd time this season where we've given up a lead and lost a game we should have won to a solid team (Baltimore and 2nd Titans game being the other two.. arguably the Rams, who we had a brief 4th Q lead on could make this the 4th time this season).  

Good:

-Ashton Dulin and Isaiah Rodgers continue to shine on STs and are making solid plays for the O and D, respectively.

-Kwity Paye got another sack.. seems like he just needed to get that first one a few weeks ago and he's doing better at getting the sacks now instead of all those early season pressures which he just missed getting a sack on.

-I don't think this was as bad as it tastes right now.  I don't think Reich called a bad game, just about all our major problems are fixable.  We don't have much time to fix them, as we need to run the table or at least get 4 of 5 wins to have a legit shot at playoffs.

-Leonard had another forced fumble and was around the ball a lot today.

-We forced several turnovers against a very solid team.

-Doyle and TY got in the endzone and both looked solid today.

-I thought Wentz, aside from the last throw of the game, looked good throwing the deep ball.

-Buckner looked like a man possessed late in the game.

Bad:

-We turned the ball over way too much.  Hines isn't impressing me much at all this year and that was a bad muffed punt.  Pascal's fumble was bad (should not have happened).  The deep INT to Winfield, IMO, should have been a pass interference (it looked like he yanked Pittman's jersey by the neck before he went up and got that ball).  

-Penalties.  Given they didn't call the Winfield INT a pass interference (and a few other plays by Bucs), I thought the penalties against Ya-Sin were pretty questionable (especially the last one -- though, I guess when you play against Brady, you have to expect he and his WRs are going to get benefit of doubt).

-We strayed from the run more than I had hoped.  I know above I said I think Reich called an OK game (actually I said I don't think he called a bad game).  That said, when we had a lead, it would've been nice to try to pound the rock a bit more.

-Buckner scared the crap out of me when he went down.  Glad he returned, but hope that isn't going to linger throughout the season.

Ugly:

-Our defense against their TEs.  Gronk and Brate looked like they were playing against high schoolers most of the game.

-Pittman, IMO, had the worst game of his career.  Wentz didn't throw 'perfect' balls to him but at least 2x early in the game I thought he should have had critical catches which he dropped or didn't make a great play on.

I have a whole lot more to say, but don't have much time.  Overall, I think this is a game we could and should have won.  We didn't, but the tape will show almost all our mistakes are fixable.  If this loss happened in week 2 instead of week 12 it would have been much more bearable (oh well).  

If I remember correctly he has done that a few times this year.  It seems like he doesn't take that extra step to make the catch standing up.  I am hoping the fact he "got paid" isn't affecting his drive and motivation.  

I agree with about everything else you said.  Good post!!!

Just now, EastStreet said:

Both were responsible for turnovers in the 3Q in the first two drives that resulted in 14 Tampa Bay points... 

even simplest things are hard to some

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

lol..yeah and Denico Autry has always been good for 10 sacks per year.  It must be fun in the alternate universe you live in ;)

Didn’t they? The sack fumble, and interception that took a 10 point lead and turned it into a 4 point deficit weren’t teeing off on Wentz?

Then what the hell does a team have to do to tee off on him? Shoot him with a cannon?

Pascal and Hines are in the doghouse for their turnovers. Bad boys. Rub their nose in it. 

But those two turnovers by Wentz while leading….. 

crickets GIF

Absolved of any fault, of course. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No it didn’t. Pascal fumbles after getting the first down at mid field. Hines gives it back to the offense after the defense gets A stop. Fisher wiffs on a block when we are about to go up 17.

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

Yeah there was one play Wentz got out of 3 sacks in a row just to get to the line of scrimmage.

Hey, I’m just glad he didn’t try to throw the ball like a granny shot in a panic to get rid of it. 

Progress, I guess. 

I like a lot of what I’ve seen from Wentz and boy was I glad to see him just eat it and go down there instead of doing something stupid…

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Taylor didn’t run until the last drive and that was because they changed how they were defending him and not wanting to give up the big pass.

they did not go into any kind of prevent defense.  there was still over 9 minutes left in the game when they finally started giving Taylor the ball again.  they were NOT concerned only about the deep pass, they knew that with that much time they still had to defend the entire field.  Nice try though.  :thmup:

Just now, J@son said:

they did not go into any kind of prevent defense.  there was still over 9 minutes left in the game when they finally started giving Taylor the ball again.  they were NOT concerned only about the deep pass, they knew that with that much time they still had to defend the entire field.  Nice try though.  :thmup:

They did not run a 8 or 9 man box that last drive.

Instead of trashing  on Reich you should be like wow we turned it over 5 times and still were able to tie the game at the end and score 31 points. That was pretty dam. Amazing. Coaches can only do so much. Players have to execute and not screw up.

players shouldn't have to battle against their own head coach

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

3 passing game turnovers

how many run game turnovers?

If Frank had went with the running game you are being so darned critical about....and the RB's had been the cause of the loss through turnovers.....I'll guarantee that you would blame the rb's...not the coach.

You're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. However, the Colts darned near won this game, and showed some huge playmaking ability while doing it.....even with the questionable ref calls.

Enjoy the ride while they ascend into the future.......or point fingers the entire way. Your choice. 

No it didn’t. Pascal fumbles after getting the first down at mid field. Hines gives it back to the offense after the defense gets A stop. Fisher wiffs on a block when we are about to go up 17.

uh...

Pascal is a part of the passing game, no?

Fisher is part of the passing game no?

WRs don't fumble on run plays.

OT don't get whiffed and QBs don't get strip sacked on run plays.

giphy.gif

Archived