Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Bucs Post Game Reaction (Merge)

EastStreet

22 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Lol I knew better than to try and converse with you. 

Please relax, it was  a joke.

Ideologically, I like balance.  I think throwing it 22 times is weird.  It doesn't fit into the idea of what I think works.

But the criticisms would hold more water if we weren't scoring 31 pts against last year's playoff teams, and 25 through three quarters at BALT.  It not like we have had a bunch of 3 and outs on three incompletions, struggling to score 17 pts.

Last year with Rivers we had a time consuming offense.  I called it a 4 corners offense.  Run short plays to hold the ball.  Before that, we had a virtually incompetent passing game with JB.  This year, we're throwing bombs to Pittman and trying with Dulin

I wonder how much who is calling the plays at the LOS has to do with how the offense looks.  Or if Frank does a good job of simply playing to the QBs strengths.

At 31 pts a game and not many picks, I would tap the brakes on the criticisms a bit.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The only mistake I really saw from frank was the lack of rushing in the 3rd. Other than that, penalties and turnovers killed this win for the Colts. Other than turnovers I was pretty impressed with how well the Colts moved the ball. 

As for that 50/50 jump ball it appeared as thought Pittman wasn't aware of where the ball was until it was too late and he was in too bad of position to make a play on the ball. 

I thought overall the Colts played well. Ball security was horrendous though. Was fun to see Doyle in the passing game again. 

Hines is playing like trash. 2 fumbles in the last 2 games. 

Everything that went right for us vs the Bills, went wrong for us vs the Bucs. 

Seems like Carson has really started to trust Doyle in the passing game. It’s was very fun to see. Doyle still has plenty left to come back and finish his contract next season.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ideologically, I like balance.  I think throwing it 22 times is weird.  It doesn't fit into the idea of what I think works.

But the criticisms would hold more water if we weren't scoring 31 pts against last year's playoff teams, and 25 through three quarters at BALT.  It not like we have had a bunch of 3 and outs on three incompletions, struggling to score 17 pts.

Last year with Rivers we had a time consuming offense.  I called it a 4 corners offense.  Run short plays to hold the ball.  Before that, we had a virtually incompetent passing game with JB.  This year, we're throwing bombs to Pittman and trying with Dulin

I wonder how much who is calling the plays at the LOS has to do with how the offense looks.  Or if Frank does a good job of simply playing to the QBs strengths.

At 31 pts a game and not many pics, I would step on the brakes of criticisms a bit.

We are 4th in scoring in the league. Ahead of AZ and KC. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Anyone want to call for mcvays job? Asking for a friend.

You mean the coach that has taken a team to the Super Bowl. The same coach that beat the Colts this year? yep I’ll trade Reich for him straight up. Is your friend Keefer? Asking for a friend.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Pass happy is pretty easy to interpret. Throw a lot, don't run much.

For the sake of simplicity, we're 0-5 when we throw it 35+... 

We're 4-0 when JT runs 18+

It's all a conspiracy I'm sure.

Again you say run the ball every game. That could lead me to beating the Colts as HC

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Seems like Carson has really started to trust Doyle in the passing game. It’s was very fun to see. Doyle still has plenty left to come back and finish his contract next season.

Jack seems like he is really enjoying his football too. I often see him with a smile on his face during the game. He has been a really consistently good player for this franchise.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Going in we were very young at DE and in the D backfield. A learning season. This D is About what people should have expected. Bottom 12.

Rivers did a Great job playing His game but Wentz has a more downfield game and he is coming along but needs more experience with our receivers.

JMO that TY doesn't have a lot left, he lost Campbell, MO isn't much, and Granson needs time.  

8-11 wins was likely. But what it ends up looking like... WAG

Big picture thinking that's also exactly right.

Could we have done a few more things in the offseason to be better? Always. There are always things in retrospect that you could do better. Think of how many games we've lost because the left tackle blew a rep so maybe you get a chuck leno instead of an eric fisher but this season isnt even done so how do we say that's the better medium/long term move?

But this team is in every game, no matter the opponent. Three lucky bounces and we have three more wins, i am in KC right now, and i assure you, not even the Chiefs have been this good, forget the records. There are games they've won that they absolutely should have lost but they got a lucky bounce or the opponent was just incompetent or whatever.

We will be better for all this, might not be a super bowl contender till next year but we'll see. Continuity will do Frank and this team a world of good. 

20 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Tired of playing, chew on this:

1st series. 2 runs 4 yards

image.png.58272262d5e6cacfd493ddf0df7f5e29.png

2nd series: 0 runs

image.png.cf0e3b4bc222b70c1bf5726881310dd8.png

3rd series: 1 run -2 yards

image.png.f9394f379f612ee107b6d8cf2bf5b2bd.png

4th series: 1 run no yards. 2nd play fumble

image.png.fd1c5da724092860cc7e82c34470311b.png

End of 1st quarter = 5 runs for 2 yards. Obviously not good, but I wouldn't say we ran ALOT. 7 passes. Pretty balanced.

Here is where it gets interesting....2nd quarter

5th series: 1 pass to JT for 8 1 run for 5, TD to Dulin - 2 pass 1 run but the pass was a screen - balanced

image.png.2b89c498336dc3b9140bfc2cbd698ca4.png

6th series: 6 pass 4 runs for 21 yards - hmm balanced. 5 yards a carry

image.png.a958d4d6f7dd7e826a3a528a170179b3.png  image.png.106bd62c1f67e8aefc54fbcb6cf54831.pngimage.png.6249a0860d076d0aae91af98ef723f6a.png

7th series was last series of the half...no JT after he was finally starting to get decent runs or short passes. Had the D guessing.

9 yard pass, 5 yard pass, sack, incomplete, Wentz scrambles for 16 yards, 3 yard run up the middle to Hines, 12 yard pass, incomplete, incomplete, 22 yard pass, incomplete, 9 yard pass, incomplete, passing TD on 4th down with JT back in the game. 

Start of 3rd quarter:

Incomplete to Hines, pass for -3 to JT, incomplete, 15 yard pass, 5 yard pass, 15 yard pass, fumble -----not one run

next series:

incomplete, 11 yd pass, incomplete, incomplete, 11 yd pass, 7 yd pass, interception

next series

incomplete, pass play Wentz scrambles 10 yard holding penalty, 8 yard pass, false start, pass but Wentz scrambles for 2 yards, punt - not one run

next series:

JT 5 yard run, JT 15 yard run, JT 5 yard run, 7 yard pass to Hines, JT 10 yard run, JT 15 yard run, JT 1 yard run, JT 3 yard run,

10 yard pass to Hilton, JT 4 yard TD run.

next series:

72 yard kick off return, incomplete, interception.

Enough freaking said. When they used JT, good things happened. When JT was in the game, good things happened. When they were balanced....great things were happening.

It is you that does not have a clue. LMAO

just want to reiterate this and thank @Btown_Colt for spoon feeding the info to the masses, even though some are doing this:

image.png.1de352845b1026374cd38e5a62fc0efe.png

7 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Oh man. Way to take a portion of a post and try to draw conclusions of what I was saying or the discussion that was taking place.

The Colts offense in whole stunk in Q1. Run or pass. Not sure why you keep referencing that quarter. I never said Q1 was good or that JT was good

in Q1. The reason I showed Q1 is because the poster I responded to said we ran ALOT in Q1….they didn’t. It was mostly balanced neither run or pass worked….can we move pass Q1 now?

To the bolder: Q2 was a good balance of run and pass. The jumbo set and play action is what opened up the bomb to Dulin, not the other way around. The next drive, the Bucs came out if the 5 D-linemen front and JT was starting

to get good gains. The pass was also working. It was all good. Never said other wise.

The Colts did not score 1 TD with JT on the sidelines. Even the last TD of the half, the finally brought JT back on. Just becaus scored passing td’s, doesn’t mean the run (or the threat of the run) didn’t help. Going pass heavy resulted in exactly one score…one score….the last one of the half. 

going pass heavy in the second half resulted in how many points (for the Colts) again?

So what you’re saying essentially is: the pass worked in the second half, but we didn’t score points and instead turned the ball over, which is exactly what the Bucs needed & wanted them to do. Then when the Bucs wanted him to run it and chew clock, he obliged them there as well. Gee, that Frank sure is a nice guy. Ended up

being the best player for the Bucs yesterday. Too bad he didn’t do what the Colts needed him to do to win.

Did I get that right? He should have chewed clock in Q3, with a lead, not after. There was 0 reason to abandon the run…ZERO. And stop saying to worked…the lost. It didn’t work.

They went pass-heavy long before the second half. And the moment they did, they started moving the ball downfield…even into the 2nd half. So yes, it absolutely was working toward moving the ball downfield, which is what you have to do to score points.

It’s pretty ridiculous to criticize Reich continuing to pass when it was clearly having success at moving the ball and getting 1st downs…not to mention it was the reason they were even up 24-14. 

You seem to be confusing correlation with causation. And your entire argument also seems to be that the run game would have resulted in a win. Based on what? Given what we had seen to that point,  that is just one massive assumption. “Chewing the clock” could have just as easily resulted in a couple of punts to start the 2nd half. Or maybe they get a FG or two…and still lose. Or, since we are assuming things, maybe Taylor fumbles in the Colts territory. 

You don’t “chew the clock” up only 10 points against a top 5 offense, especially when you have a suspect pass defense and a pass rush that can’t close out games. And you definitely don’t do it against a great run defense. 

And the last TD drive wasn’t them chewing the clock, it was Reich taking what they gave them…like he did all game. 

Do I think they could have mixed in some runs on those drives? Sure. Do I think not doing so cost them the game? No…it was TOs that cost them the game. TOs that could have happened at any point. And TOs that aren’t even close to Reich’s fault. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

At 31 pts a game and not many picks, I would tap the brakes on the criticisms a bit.

Yep. But apparently being a top 5 scoring offense for months doesn’t matter…at least not when you can just nit pick a handful of drives in a game. 

Colts had 12 drives in this game. The first 4 were fairly balanced…and sucked. But we throw those out I guess because it doesn’t fit this “pass heavy bad” narrative.

But on the next 6 drives where they went pass-heavy, they scored 21 points and moved the ball into TB territory on 5 of them. That is nearly 4 pts/drive with a fantastic Drive Success Rate, aka an elite offense.

But the only drives that apparently matter in that sequence are the last 3 of those 6 where they didn’t score TDs…because that is what fits this narrative and provides the necessary confirmation bias. 

Imagine a game where the Colts are going really run-heavy and running all over a team. They rush for 3 TDs on 3 straight drives. But then unfortunately, even though they are moving the ball on the ground, the next 3 drives result in a Taylor fumble (deep in the opposing team’s territory), a 4th down stop past midfield and then a 3 and out. Do you really think there would be outrage about play calling being so run-heavy? 

27 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

They went pass-heavy long before the second half. And the moment they did, they started moving the ball downfield…even into the 2nd half. So yes, it absolutely was working toward moving the ball downfield, which is what you have to do to score points.

It’s pretty ridiculous to criticize Reich continuing to pass when it was clearly having success at moving the ball and getting 1st downs…not to mention it was the reason they were even up 24-14. 

You seem to be confusing correlation with causation. And your entire argument also seems to be that the run game would have resulted in a win. Based on what? Given what we had seen to that point,  that is just one massive assumption. “Chewing the clock” could have just as easily resulted in a couple of punts to start the 2nd half. Or maybe they get a FG or two…and still lose. Or, since we are assuming things, maybe Taylor fumbles in the Colts territory. 

You don’t “chew the clock” up only 10 points against a top 5 offense, especially when you have a suspect pass defense and a pass rush that can’t close out games. And you definitely don’t do it against a great run defense. 

And the last TD drive wasn’t them chewing the clock, it was Reich taking what they gave them…like he did all game. 

Do I think they could have mixed in some runs on those drives? Sure. Do I think not doing so cost them the game? No…it was TOs that cost them the game. TOs that could have happened at any point. And TOs that aren’t even close to Reich’s fault. 

Say it a little louder for those in back.

15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Nah you’re right, you completely abandon

the run, have costly turnovers, and end up losing, that’s how you do it. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. But apparently being a top 5 scoring offense for months doesn’t matter…at least not when you can just nit pick a handful of drives in a game. 

Colts had 12 drives in this game. The first 4 were fairly balanced…and sucked. But we throw those out I guess because it doesn’t fit this “pass heavy bad” narrative.

But on the next 6 drives where they went pass-heavy, they scored 21 points and moved the ball into TB territory on 5 of them. That is nearly 4 pts/drive with a fantastic Drive Success Rate, aka an elite offense.

But the only drives that apparently matter in that sequence are the last 3 of those 6 where they didn’t score TDs…because that is what fits this narrative and provides the necessary confirmation bias. 

Imagine a game where the Colts are going really run-heavy and running all over a team. They rush for 3 TDs on 3 straight drives. But then unfortunately, even though they are moving the ball on the ground, the next 3 drives result in a Taylor fumble (deep in the opposing team’s territory), a 4th down stop past midfield and then a 3 and out. Do you really think there would be outrage about play calling being so run-heavy? 

Some of these people are the same people who whined that Frank went too conservative in the Ravens game when he ran Taylor and played for the field goal.  There is common theme here.  If what the Colts do doesn’t work blame Frank and when what they do works like against the 49ers or Bills some of them are no where to be found.

I just don't understand the hate on the offense that's 4th for points per game, when the defense is ranked 29th in passing defense, 21st in rushing defense, and 25th overall team defense. To be fair they are good at turnovers but I more relate that Leonard is having a career year when it comes to causing turnover 7 so far (5 FF and 2 Int) which ties the year when he had 7 for the year (5 Int and 2 FF).

Who dropped a sure fire pick during the game?? I think it was one of our corners, was trying to remember but I can't... Trying to remember how that drive ended for them..

Still stings, hate losing to that dope Brady.

PS.... We better * beat NE. No way can I stand losing to Brady and Hoody. It used to be one loss, now they count as two . Lol

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Who dropped a sure fire pick during the game?? I think it was one of our corners, was trying to remember but I can't... Trying to remember how that drive ended for them..

PS.... We better * beat NE. No way can I stand loosing to Brady and Hoody. It used to be one loss, now they can't as two . Lol

Rock 

14 hours ago, King Colt said:

Again you say run the ball every game. That could lead me to beating the Colts as HC

I'm not a RTDB guy. I'm a balance guy. Some times you're going to run more, some times you pass more. But you don't abandon either for 25+ plays in a row. That's one dimensional ball. 

8 hours ago, IinD said:

PS.... We better * beat NE. No way can I stand losing to Brady and Hoody. It used to be one loss, now they count as two . Lol

we wont beat hoody, he has filled his team with better talent, he is a better judge of talent than ballard

15 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I just don't understand the hate on the offense that's 4th for points per game, when the defense is ranked 29th in passing defense, 21st in rushing defense, and 25th overall team defense. To be fair they are good at turnovers but I more relate that Leonard is having a career year when it comes to causing turnover 7 so far (5 FF and 2 Int) which ties the year when he had 7 for the year (5 Int and 2 FF).

I've been thinking about this too.  Not defending wonky play calling at times, but wondering how much of it contributes to losing games.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I've been thinking about this too.  Not defending wonky play calling at times, but wondering how much of it contributes to losing games.

To me it seems everyone wants Reich to call a perfect game every week on offense, which is not possible. There's always gonna be bad calls or drives that don't end in scores, but no team in the NFL is running a perfect offense. I'm more worried that we are scoring the 4th most ppg and we still not winning, that just makes me think that the defense is not being used correctly and Eberflus doesn't know how to call the defense with a lead. They are good when it's early in the game, which makes me think it is not a talent problem but a scheme/playcalling problem.

I can’t help but wonder where Ballard stands on what transpired Sunday. Did he pat frank on the back and say “you did great today, pal. There was nothing you could have done differently to change the outcome. Nothing at all”?

And he clearly loves Taylor. This is just me speaking here, but I think he likes Taylor as a pick more than he likes Nelson and Leonard. We’ve seen the way he’s gushed about Taylor. And that carries some weight because at this point in their careers Nelson and Leonard are on Hall of Fame trajectories. 

But is he sitting up in his box Sunday watching Taylor be a total non-factor in that second half while the scoring dried up and a 10 point lead shriveled into a 4 point deficit and thinking “this is the only way we’re gonna win this one”? 

Is he really not sitting there watching this happen over and over and cost us game after game and not going “wait a minute…”? 

It’s happened so many times at this point that I legitimately wonder. And I don’t want to. Ballard has done a more than satisfactory job so far even with all the top half draft whiffs. 

But does he really find the way we’re giving away wins in-hand acceptable?

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I can’t help but wonder where Ballard stands on what transpired Sunday. Did he pat frank on the back and say “you did great today, pal. There was nothing you could have done differently to change the outcome. Nothing at all”?

And he clearly loves Taylor. This is just me speaking here, but I think he likes Taylor as a pick more than he likes Nelson and Leonard. We’ve seen the way he’s gushed about Taylor. And that carries some weight because at this point in their careers Nelson and Leonard are on Hall of Fame trajectories. 

But is he sitting up in his box Sunday watching Taylor be a total non-factor in that second half while the scoring dried up and a 10 point lead shriveled into a 4 point deficit and thinking “this is the only way we’re gonna win this one”? 

Is he really not sitting there watching this happen over and over and cost us game after game and not going “wait a minute…”? 

It’s happened so many times at this point that I legitimately wonder. And I don’t want to. Ballard has done a more than satisfactory job so far even with all the top half draft whiffs. 

But does he really find the way we’re giving away wins in-hand acceptable?

I have a theory, I posted it in another thread a little while ago. I don’t want to post it here again, @Harkwill yell at me. 

it’s pure conjecture on my part, because there is no way I could know one way or the other. But just interpreting what I’m hearing/reading leads me to believe Ballard isn’t happy with it. Time will tell.

Archived