Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Bucs Post Game Reaction (Merge)

EastStreet

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Which is why it’s silly to me when, before this game, we had people talking about us only losing one more game the rest of the way.

We are wayyyyy too inconsistent  to win out from here on out.

They won’t.  The Pats and Cards are going to be hard games.  The good news is they SHOULD beat the Texans, Raiders, and Jags.  Odds are they will have spilt with the Pats or Cards and get some help and have a SHOT at the 7 seed.  Colts fans wants the Bengals, Chargers, and Bills to lose from here on out.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I guess the media is really dumb too....

Frank getting peppered with questions about not running JT more..

And said normally someone tells him if they aren't running it enough lol... 

it’s definitely hard to dispute that we should have run the ball more. Even just a half dozen more times would have likely kept this game in our favor.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I did not see any edge runs on that last TD drive.  In fact, between JT, Mack, I haven't seen many edge runs.

22 to 28 consecutive passes is bad playcalling.  

The third quarter is not the time to change the successful first half game plan, but it should have been changed sooner than the last drive, IMO.

But in the end, the offense proves that it can score 31 to 41 to 31 points by passing or running depending upon the defense,

I do not expect the offense to score or move the ball every series.  The offense is good enough to overcome wonky play calling at times.

Our defense has to do a better job of not letting the other team score 34 and 37 points.

Edge runs early, when the were double stuffing the A gaps... Don't be dense. And we hit the edge several times last week.

When you are up two scores against the best QB in the league, you try to kill clock. You do that by running.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

So the bills are not a good team? We turned the ball over 5 times and only lost by 7. That doesn't happened. We could have won this game. You're acting like Brady threw for 400 yards and 5 tds.

i cant get exited over beating one good team out of 6 .  any time the going gets tough the team falls apart .  good teams win games even when they make mistakes .  colts can win any game when things go right when things go wrong they just fall apart .  that is the difference between good teams and average teams .   this team has talent and potential but something is missing . 

The Bucs schemed to stop JT and as a result opened up the passing game for us.  Colts took what they Bucs where allowing and it worked beautifully until the strip sack on the first drive of the 3rd quarter.  Without the OL whiff on the strip sack the Colts likely go up 31-14 as they were rolling.

So they should have worked in more JT in the 2nd half, but the Colts play calling which was taking advantage of what the Bucs defense was giving is not as brain dead as is being suggested in this thread, IMO.

It’s been said a million times but when you force Wentz to pass 20+ times, no matter how good he’s playing, he’s gonna make a mistake or two. By the end he was throwing short passes into the dirt. Looked fatigued to me.

Before the game I said if I were the Bucs I’d want Wentz to throw a ton and hope for mistakes. We played right into their hands.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Edge runs early, when the were double stuffing the A gaps... Don't be dense. And we hit the edge several times last week.

When you are up two scores against the best QB in the league, you try to kill clock. You do that by running.

frank has the mind set to keep doing something until they stop it .   this hurts the team because once they adjust on defense he keeps doing it causing 3 and outs and by the time he adjust back the momentum is gone . 

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

it’s definitely hard to dispute that we should have run the ball more. Even just a half dozen more times would have likely kept this game in our favor.

I agree they should have sprinkled in a few more runs but I think the much bigger issue is the five turnovers.  I think the defense was bad today too but I don’t even think that matters as much as the turnovers.

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

When we go pass happy we've lost. 

Pre-season, Ballard and Reich both said Wentz needs to understand he's on a team, and he doesn't have to be the guy winning games. I guess Frank forgot about that. 

Run the ball more when we are up, and there's less opportunity for passing game turnovers. 

There are honestly several things wrong with how we played the game.

• Obviously turnovers will lose games, but when you pass the ball 24 consecutive times turnovers are bound to happen. It's about time Frank learned this lesson.
  • Just run the damn ball! Yes they may focus on stopping JT, but we HAVE to keep the defense honest and give JT a chance to be JT. PLEASE!!
  • Pascal had a TERRIBLE game. Drops, fumbles... He and a few others (Hines!!!) need to carry a ball around 24/7 asking people try and knock it out to get some damn awareness. HORRIBLE.
  • Defense fell to the constant turnovers. They can't really be blamed even if they missed on some plays they shouldn't have allowed.

This team is so frustrating to watch. One week we completely dominate next week is one big clownshow. How does this keep happening? We had them. This was our win and Frank threw it - AGAIN!

38 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

* embarrassing. 

Holy crap, so instead of throwing it 42 times, we should've thrown it more?!  LOL  OMG he needs to just eat crow and admit he messed up.  It worked in the first half.  You don't think TB was gonna make adjustments and stop it the second half?  Frank Reich said this is my plan and I'm sticking to it. 

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yeh...throw it 40 to 50 times especially 20 times in a row and you'll lose 9 out of 10 times. Frank doesn't know how to manage a game.

part of being a good coach is thinking about your opponents next move . frank does not do this when the passing game is working well then switch it up to some draws knowing they will sell out to stop the pass . the buccs did this they went to the run game late knowing the colts were selling out to stop the pass .  frank just keeps doing whats working and the opponent adjusts and then we get shut out a full quarter every time against the ravens titans and buccs.

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i cant get exited over beating one good team out of 6 .  any time the going gets tough the team falls apart .  good teams win games even when they make mistakes .  colts can win any game when things go right when things go wrong they just fall apart .  that is the difference between good teams and average teams .   this team has talent and potential but something is missing . 

That is sports. One minute things are going great. The next minute crap hits the fan. We should have won this game and almost did it without Taylor running into a wall. The offense for the majority of this game was humming, but unfortunately two turnovers inside our 30 was the deciding factor.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

frank has the mind set to keep doing something until they stop it .   this hurts the team because once they adjust on defense he keeps doing it causing 3 and outs and by the time he adjust back the momentum is gone . 

Yup. He forces things at times. And keeps doing the same things way too much instead of mixing it up. 

And when you're up two scores against the GOAT, you try to burn clock, not play into their hands.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s been said a million times, but when you force Wentz to pass 20+ times, no matter how good he’s playing, he’s gonna make a mistake or two. By the end he was throwing short passes into the dirt. Looked fatigued to me.

This had nothing to do with Wentz.

Ig anything we need a couple better receiving options. That will help trend from being able to shut down the run game.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

When we go pass happy we've lost. 

Pre-season, Ballard and Reich both said Wentz needs to understand he's on a team, and he doesn't have to be the guy winning games. I guess Frank forgot about that. 

Run the ball more when we are up, and there's less opportunity for passing game turnovers. 

We should have won this game pass happy period. I wished we would have run just a tad more for sure but when your WR fumbles essentially a “run” after the catch and your punt returner muffs badly that is hard to overcome.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Ig anything we need a couple better receiving options. That will help trend from being able to shut down the run game.

I think you’re assuming that I’m chastising Wentz.

I thought he played very well for the most part. But you’re playing with fire making him pass that much.

I can’t fathom being ok with 20+ consecutive passes while completing under 50% of them for 0 points while leading by 10 in the second half of a game. 

How many other times have we ever seen anything like that in the NFL? This has got to be some kind of unprecedented #ery. 

Can you imagine Peyton Manning getting 20+ consecutive pass calls while leading? He’d have never let that fly. He’d check into run calls at the line since the sidelines were clearly on autopilot. I’m willing to bet he’d tell the coach to get his head out of his * on the sidelines. 

Manning never did it. Brady never did it. Brees never did it. Rodgers never did it. Go on down the list of greats. They never, eeeeeeeever lost a game the way the Colts lost this one today, pissing it away by removing all the run plays from the playbook with a 10 point 2nd half lead. 

Absolutely unreal and * embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Holy crap, so instead of throwing it 42 times, we should've thrown it more?!  LOL  OMG he needs to just eat crow and admit he messed up.  It worked in the first half.  You don't think TB was gonna make adjustments and stop it the second half?  Frank Reich said this is my plan and I'm sticking to it. 

He is right. I thought he was a little too stubborn that first half. If the defense didn’t play like they did that first quarter we would of been done the first quarter. He should of exploited their weakness earlier:

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

part of being a good coach is thinking about your opponents next move . frank does not do this when the passing game is working well then switch it up to some draws knowing they will sell out to stop the pass . the buccs did this they went to the run game late knowing the colts were selling out to stop the pass .  frank just keeps doing whats working and the opponent adjusts and then we get shut out a full quarter every time against the ravens titans and buccs.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. He forces things at times. And keeps doing the same things way too much instead of mixing it up. 

And when you're up two scores against the GOAT, you try to burn clock, not play into their hands.

I'm going to watch the Ravens and Titans game this week and I bet you this rhetoric will fit those losses also. 

At least on the positive side, we did play 60 minutes against the Superbowl champs and nearly/should of won.

Pretty much everything went against us. I know people don't want to hear that this team is getting close, but it really isn't that far off. Tampa Bay are the best the NFL has to offer, they are in win now mode with a ton of vets over 30 years old. We have a much younger team. 

I think we need to stay the course with this team. And this season isn't over. The Patriots game is the big one.

9 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

The Bucs schemed to stop JT and as a result opened up the passing game for us.  Colts took what they Bucs where allowing and it worked beautifully until the strip sack on the first drive of the 3rd quarter.  Without the OL whiff on the strip sack the Colts likely go up 31-14 as they were rolling.

So they should have worked in more JT in the 2nd half, but the Colts play calling which was taking advantage of what the Bucs defense was giving is not as brain dead as is being suggested in this thread, IMO.

Add even when the Colts were beating them with the pass the Bucs were still playing to stop the run.  The Colts had one good drive today running the ball.  Id say that’s more the outlayer than would have been the rule with the way the Bucs were playing on defense.  Remember the first quarter when the Colts did try to run it and had two yards rushing and three straight three and outs.  

I would have liked a few runs sprinkled in the third quarter just to keep the Bucs honest but when you really look at it they didn’t need to because the Bucs never went away from playing run first.  

Someone posted that Reich is 3-15 when you force their QB to throw 40 or more times.  Other teams know that too so they are going to play to let you throw and see if you can beat them with it while focusing on what you do well, which is run.  There is one way to stop that.  Beat them with the pass.

The difference was Barrett and Winfield made two huge plays and Pascal and Hines also out the ball on the turf.  Let’s also not forget Edwards getting just enough of Rodgers on the return to save the game tying TD.  The Bucs simply made more plays than the Colts.  That’s not bad coaching.

Bad coaching is continuing to try to slam the ball into the line because you have the league’s leading rusher even though you have two yards rushing in the first quarter and three straight three and outs.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

But I do agree we need better receiving options. This is how I thought our WR’s would look before the season. Pitt was just going off before this week (still came back strong today too).

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

He is right. I thought he was a little too stubborn that first half. If the defense didn’t play like they did that first quarter we would of been done the first quarter. He should of exploited their weakness earlier:

I agree, but that doesn't mean abandon the run.  It worked in the first half.  Good job, now win the game.  Not adjusting in the second half did us in.  I praised Reich on the first half.  Look in the chat, I said the only thing I wanted him to do coming out was run more.  And what we do, throw it +20 consecutive times. 

8 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Frank worshippers here will find any reason to defend him when he clearly contributes to losses. 

It's disingenuous to even try to defend 25ish straight passes when you have a guy like JT.

But we have a lot of sunshine pumping Frank fans who think he's incapable of making mistakes and will defy basic football sense to defend him.

Media pounded him with questions about the lack of JT. It'll be the same on the local media shows this week.

4 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I don’t know if I’m relieved it’s not another “that’s on me, I didn’t know we got that out of balance” or horrified that it isn’t. 

4 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I'm going to watch the Ravens and Titans game this week and I bet you this rhetoric will fit those losses also. 

Fits the TN games (both). Not so much the Ravens game, but there was definitely play calling issues too. Just not the same issues. 

Archived