Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Bucs Post Game Reaction (Merge)

EastStreet

9 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

people don't get it even if the run game gets stuffed it effects the pass rush .  most teams have a nascar like package like the colts use which is meant for passing downs .   the titans get it with henry he can be averaging 3 yards a carry they still feed him then he wears down the defense and starts going off in the second half . 

It’s a much easier task to get to the QB or defend the deep ball when you know you don’t have to worry about the RB in the backfield getting the ball and can zero in on just one task on a play. 

And the wild part is we know this. We saw our entire defensive philosophy predicate on that in the Dungy years. Get a lead, force the opposing offense to pass, then capitalize on their mistake. Nothing earth shattering there. 

Today we did just that for the Bucs, but we didn’t make them have to take a lead to force us into it. We went willingly. 

With a darn 2 score lead. 

High School Reaction GIF by Film Society of Lincoln Center

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

ballard will never go for a high value wr he will only draft one in the second or third round or pick up a sammy watkins type of a guy .  it will never happen only way we get a elite wr is if we draft one which would take a couple years for them to be good .

WR is one position if we draft in the second or third I think can make a immediate impact. It’s not like it used to be. We can’t just go expect another 6th or 7th rounder to be good. It’s draft high or go get a high value one in FA.

3 minutes ago, strt182 said:

They never gave up all the way til the last play.  Wentz is getting better on throwing the ball away however he needs to get rid of it quicker. Those players do believe they can beat anybody.

something just feels off this year when things go wrong .  when the ravens came within a touchdown i felt the game was over same with the titans and the bucs .   with luck or manning i never felt like that i dont know if its wentz or frank or something else .  something just feels weird about this team when its late in games where the score is close against good teams .  Not being able to close against good teams is not a great look .  the lack of execution on critical plays during the game is not a great look at all .

Just now, John Waylon said:

It’s a much easier task to get to the QB or defend the deep ball when you know you don’t have to worry about the RB in the backfield getting the ball and can zero in on just one task on a play. 

And the wild part is we know this. We saw our entire defensive philosophy predicate on that in the Dungy years. Get a lead, force the opposing offense to pass, then capitalize on their mistake. Nothing earth shattering there. 

Today we did just that for the Bucs, but we didn’t make them have to take a lead to force us into it. We went willingly. 

With a darn 2 score lead. 

High School Reaction GIF by Film Society of Lincoln Center

They weren’t changing how they were playing the run. Nothing changed.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

something just feels off this year when things go wrong .  when the ravens came within a touchdown i felt the game was over same with the titans and the bucs .   with luck or manning i never felt like that i dont know if its wentz or frank or something else .  something just feels weird about this team when its late in games where the score is close against good teams .  Not being able to close against good teams is not a great look .  the lack of execution on critical plays during the game is not a great look at all .

Some of that is we still don’t have enough WR threats. The reason the Bucs run game was good today is they have so many threats at WR you have to respect it. Those couple extra playmakers can make the difference in the pass game in close games and help the run game. We need to add a couple more.

I wanted pascal back but he is coming down to earth this year and has has just been bad. We can do better even at that 3 or 4 WR spot. At least Dulin has the speed to go vertical.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

WR is one position if we draft in the second or third I think can make a immediate impact. It’s not like it used to be. We can’t just go expect another 6th or 7th rounder to be good. It’s draft high or go get a high value one in FA.

its still very rare for a wr in the second or third to be a elite player the first year . that is what we need a legit target because pittman is not a true elite number 1 yet .   we need a marvin or reggie to have teams game plan against them and help the other guys .   just having reggie in 2012 helped ty so much his rookie year . 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

its still very rare for a wr in the second or third to be a elite player the first year . that is what we need a legit target because pittman is not a true elite number 1 yet .   we need a marvin or reggie to have teams game plan against them and help the other guys .   just having reggie in 2012 helped ty so much his rookie year . 

Over the last couple seasons rookie WR have done really well. Pittman had a slow start last season because of covid and his injury. Havinf Pittman on the other side would help a rookie. I would be all for spending in FA and drafting one. We need some more speed at WR.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Some of that is we still don’t have enough WR threats. The reason the Bucs run game was good today is they have so many threats at WR you have to respect it. Those couple extra playmakers can make the difference in the pass game. We need to add a couple more.

I wanted pascal back but he is coming down to earth this year and has has just been bad. We can do better even at that 3 or 4 WR spot. At least Dulin has the speed to go vertical.

i think some of it is how slow the offense runs . every play its almost a delay of game penalty , during the two minute drives we waste 25 seconds getting to the line at times .  we need to master the no huddle and get every one on the same page that is a problem . 

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We aren’t stupid. Not everything is black and white.

There's a wide variation of football IQ on the board. 

Some no more, some no less. Some know position responsibilities, some don't. Some understand Ds and coverages, some don't...

Takes all kinds and there's nothing wrong with that.

Anyone who doesn't recognize that this team isn't built to be pass happy I'd say is in the later group.

And that's fine. But if they come off as adamant about something that goes directly against common/basic football adage, then they look silly.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There's a wide variation of football IQ on the board. 

Some no more, some no less. Some know position responsibilities, some don't. Some understand Ds and coverages, some don't...

Takes all kinds and there's nothing wrong with that.

Anyone who doesn't recognize that this team isn't built to be pass happy I'd say is in the later group.

And that's fine. But if they come off as adamant about something that goes directly against common/basic football adage, then they look silly.

While I think everyone is entitled to their opinion not everyone will see it eye to eye, it’s definitely a mindset we all have about certain things but I think one thing we can all agree on is that this years team is not as successful as it should be (for a variety of reasons from top to bottom).

We could be a much better team next year if we can acquire a few good pieces in FA (IMO) including perhaps some type of coaching changes.

5 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

While I think everyone is entitled to their opinion not everyone will see it eye to eye, it’s definitely a mindset we all have about certain things but I think one thing we can all agree on is that this years team is not as successful as it should be (for a variety of reasons from top to bottom).

We could be a much better team next year if we can acquire a few good pieces in FA (IMO) including perhaps some type of coaching changes.

I am still holding out hope for a new DC.  I don’t expect it but I am hoping.  I think they are need a more aggressive type of secondary play than they have.  Not a total overhaul but one that respects more than just getting beat deep.  I was scared of this game all week because I knew Brady would have no problem just checking the ball down and taking the underneath stuff all day and that’s exactly what he did and how many times was Gronk standing wide open five to 10 yards downfield without a defender within 10 yards of him and the Colts never adjusted to it and they haven’t adjusted to it all year.  Teams could have five to 10 yards anytime they want it throwing underneath on this defense.

1 hour ago, yankeeclipper said:

When you are looking to put ball in air bad things can happen.  Wentz to Pascal - fumble after catch. Wentz sack fumble, Wentz to  Pittman - Interception.  Things were made worse by Hines muff on punt. I think that is the point - about  showing more of a ball control offense.  If we ran another 6 to 9 attempts we might have reduced some of the turnovers and perhaps put more points and not give them the ball whereby they marched downfield to score.  Our miscues were covered into points.

The problem with everything you've outlined here is the fact that the Bucs dared the Colts to throw. They cheated to stop the run, and it wasn't until they eventually tired out that Indy started moving the ball on the ground. At least that's what the eye test showed me, maybe all22 shows otherwise.

We scored. We took what we wanted for most of the game.....we made silly mistakes. Those mistakes can happen on the ground too, we just had to be sharper.

9 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

There were a wide variety of problems today.

You expect players to make mistakes. And we did. For instance our pass D/scheme hasn't been good for years, so not shocked or disappointed they struggled covering Gronk. 

You expect refs to screw us at times. They did. Not shocked Brady got calls. 

I can accept all that. 

What I find hard to accept is the pattern we've seen for years when it comes to pass happy game plans, and failure to adjust. 

IMO we had the talent to win today (and in earlier losses). We had mistakes for sure, but coaching/scheme on both sides was the difference. I expect more out of everyone, not just players.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The problem with everything you've outlined here is the fact that the Bucs dared the Colts to throw. They cheated to stop the run, and it wasn't until they eventually tired out that Indy started moving the ball on the ground. At least that's what the eye test showed me, maybe all22 shows otherwise.

We scored. We took what we wanted for most of the game.....we made silly mistakes. Those mistakes can happen on the ground too, we just had to be sharper.

It also looked like on that last drive where JT was able to run they played it different. They didn’t want to get beat deep. So they did more to stop the pass so JT had more room. They figured they could scored with a few minutes left to win and they were right.

5 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

So JT streak of 100 rush yard ended today he did get the TD but thanks to Frank he could not get that feat Oh well start another one I guess

Also thanks to the Bucs defense who shut him down early leading to Frank to adjust and have to go away from him.  People aren’t giving the Bucs enough credit for being the leagues best rush defense and playing like it early.

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There were a wide variety of problems today.

You expect players to make mistakes. And we did. For instance our pass D/scheme hasn't been good for years, so not shocked or disappointed they struggled covering Gronk. 

You expect refs to screw us at times. They did. Not shocked Brady got calls. 

I can accept all that. 

What I find hard to accept is the pattern we've seen for years when it comes to pass happy game plans, and failure to adjust. 

IMO we had the talent to win today (and in earlier losses). We had mistakes for sure, but coaching/scheme on both sides was the difference. I expect more out of everyone, not just players.

frank got fired from the chargers for being to pass happy .  frank was to pass happy in 2018 when we were 1-5 nelson had to confront reich to get him to change .  it is a pattern with frank with the lack of weapons the titans style of offense fits our personnel  better .   i would like to see more play action passing than just going shotgun with extra wide outs in the game .  frank was telling the buccs we are just going to pass , even though they have a bad secondary we are not built to throw all game . its weakness against weakness and mistake are gonna happen . frank admitted we cant run and stopped trying until the last drive .

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also thanks to the Bucs defense who shut him down early leading to Frank to adjust and have to go away from him.  People aren’t giving the Bucs enough credit for being the leagues best rush defense and playing like it early.

so what happen to last couple of drives when JT got the TD! Maybe we dont get JT enough credit that what he might bring to the table and give up on him to quickly maybe FR as past QB gave up on JT not sure as a fan we like to pin the loses on something from Zebra to OL to turnovers. Anyways on the next one. 

Just now, coming on strong said:

frank got fired from the chargers for being to pass happy .  frank was to pass happy in 2018 when we were 1-5 nelson had to confront reich to get him to change .  it is a pattern with frank with the lack of weapons the titans style of offense fits our personal better .   i would like to see more play action passing than just going shotgun with extra wide outs in the game .  frank was telling the buccs we are just going to pass , even though they have a bad secondary we are not built to throw all game . its weakness against weakness and mistake are gonna happen . frank admitted we cant run and stopped trying until the last drive .

Yup, Frank had horrible balance with the Chargers. I posted Frank's resume relevant to pass/run ratio in another thread (I think the run vs pass thread if interested). The change was pretty dramatic.

I don't blame him too much for 2018 though. I think he tried not to change the "Luck Offense" too much, and just let him continue doing what he did in the past. 

Yup, we're not built to be pass happy. We're built either for balance or run heavy. I prefer balance. I don't want to RTDB all the time at all. I just want to around the league average at least when it comes to run/pass ratio. Now if we had 3 stud WRs that were as good as JT is at running the ball, I might change my tune. But our personnel is what it is, and we need to play accordingly. 

4 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

What does that say about the quarterback?

Well, it means he's much more effective when we have balance. 

And that's actually what Frank and Ballard have implied several times.

Wentz isn't Brady, and we don't have WRs like the Bucs. So why are we trying to be like the pass happy Bucs.

Our best player is JT. He needs to be utilized accordingly, both run and pass.

And when Wentz had balance in 2017, he was elite in most categories. When he was asked to shoulder the load last year, he was awful. I'd say the 2017 plan is best, no?

9 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

so what happen to last couple of drives when JT got the TD! Maybe we dont get JT enough credit that what he might bring to the table and give up on him to quickly maybe FR as past QB gave up on JT not sure as a fan we like to pin the loses on something from Zebra to OL to turnovers. Anyways on the next one. 

It wasn’t the last couple or drives it was one drive.  That was also the drive the Bucs finally went away from their five man front because they assumed the Colts would be throwing down late.  The Bucs did try to go back to the five minute front midway through that drive but by that point the Colts had the momentum on the drive and had the Bucs D on their heals on that drive.  That’s not how most of the game went. 

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, Frank had horrible balance with the Chargers. I posted Frank's resume relevant to pass/run ratio in another thread (I think the run vs pass thread if interested). The change was pretty dramatic.

I don't blame him too much for 2018 though. I think he tried not to change the "Luck Offense" too much, and just let him continue doing what he did in the past. 

Yup, we're not built to be pass happy. We're built either for balance or run heavy. I prefer balance. I don't want to RTDB all the time at all. I just want to around the league average at least when it comes to run/pass ratio. Now if we had 3 stud WRs that were as good as JT is at running the ball, I might change my tune. But our personnel is what it is, and we need to play accordingly. 

throwing out of the two tight end sets works well with franks offense .  We missed ebron a lot the last two years , if we had a tight end who can catch and block we would be in a good spot .   when frank brings extra wrs into the game it usually does not end well . bringing in backup guys who cant run routes  hurts us .  We need weapons to compete with the good teams , we end up in situations where we become one dimensional and dont have the weapons to go toe to toe with good teams .  without the weapons its better to stay with the run and use play action to open up the throwing lanes .

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Zach Keefer also confirms in this thread the reason Taylor was able to run on that last drive is it was only a 6 Mann box. Tampa didn’t want to get beat deep so they protected the pass better.

the problem is this team is not built to pass the ball so much .  we have average wrs we are built like the titans before they upgraded wrs . something bad happens when he keep throwing without the talent .  look at the chiefs with hill he gets so open there isnt a defender within ten yards at times . every pass wentz throws is into tight coverage .   ballard needs to open the check book and stop playing around

9 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the problem is this team is not built to pass the ball so much .  we have average wrs we are built like the titans before they upgraded wrs . something bad happens when he keep throwing without the talent .  look at the chiefs with hill he gets so open there isnt a defender within ten yards at times . every pass wentz throws is into tight coverage .   ballard needs to open the check book and stop playing around

Here is something I was thinking. Everyone on here will probably laugh at me. But no one will change my mind. I don’t think it does us any good to have Taylor as our best playmaker. A RB should be a compliment to the team. I don’t like relying on him so much. This is why we have to prioritize getting a couple more WR. I do not want to turn into TN where we can’t win if Taylor can’t run for 150 yards. It’s to easy for teams to shut down the run game. Having better weapons at the WR position will help Taylor.

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

throwing out of the two tight end sets works well with franks offense .  We missed ebron a lot the last two years , if we had a tight end who can catch and block we would be in a good spot .   when frank brings extra wrs into the game it usually does not end well .  we have a average group as it is bringing in backup guys who cant run routes that good hurts us .  We need weapons to compete with the good teams , we end up in situations where we become one dimensional and dont have the weapons to go toe to toe with good teams .  without the weapons its better to stay with the run and use play action to open up the throwing lanes .

Ebron worked well with Luck, and I believe would have worked well with Rivers too. He got shelved in 2019. Not sure if that's because of Frank or because JB didn't like throwing to the seam. Frank likes his hybrid TEs though (Burton and Granson). Forced way to much to Burton last year. Frank seems more like a move or slot TE type of guy, not really a big, or prototypical TE type of guys.

Not sure what to think about Frank and WR usage either. He tried to turn a deep threat specialist (Caine) into a possession guy. And has used a little guy like Dulin as a rub and possession guy. And like big TEs, hasn't really tried to use Strachan in the RZ as a big possession guy. I just don't see a lot of the logic. It's like he tries to fit square pegs in round holes, instead of modifying the O to fit the personnel. 

I think Coutee would be a good slot or Z option. But instead, we're using Pascal who is struggling mostly at slot. Love him, but he should be a #4 type of guy. In short, I think we have some weapons, but just aren't adjusting the O to use them. 

22 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Zach Keefer also confirms in this thread the reason Taylor was able to run on that last drive is it was only a 6 Mann box. Tampa didn’t want to get beat deep so they protected the pass better.

Yes, they didn't go 5 man gap rush every down, but they weren't only 6 man boxes either. And JT had success against the 5 man gap.

Keefer isn't the best football guy either and is a Frank defender the majority of the time.

And acting like TB was in 9 man boxes a bunch is silly. If there were 9 man boxes, at least two were dropping immediately. 

We lost a tough one to the defending Champs.

Disappointing, considering this is at least the 3rd time this season where we've given up a lead and lost a game we should have won to a solid team (Baltimore and 2nd Titans game being the other two.. arguably the Rams, who we had a brief 4th Q lead on could make this the 4th time this season).  

Good:

-Ashton Dulin and Isaiah Rodgers continue to shine on STs and are making solid plays for the O and D, respectively.

-Kwity Paye got another sack.. seems like he just needed to get that first one a few weeks ago and he's doing better at getting the sacks now instead of all those early season pressures which he just missed getting a sack on.

-I don't think this was as bad as it tastes right now.  I don't think Reich called a bad game, just about all our major problems are fixable.  We don't have much time to fix them, as we need to run the table or at least get 4 of 5 wins to have a legit shot at playoffs.

-Leonard had another forced fumble and was around the ball a lot today.

-We forced several turnovers against a very solid team.

-Doyle and TY got in the endzone and both looked solid today.

-I thought Wentz, aside from the last throw of the game, looked good throwing the deep ball.

-Buckner looked like a man possessed late in the game.

Bad:

-We turned the ball over way too much.  Hines isn't impressing me much at all this year and that was a bad muffed punt.  Pascal's fumble was bad (should not have happened).  The deep INT to Winfield, IMO, should have been a pass interference (it looked like he yanked Pittman's jersey by the neck before he went up and got that ball).  

-Penalties.  Given they didn't call the Winfield INT a pass interference (and a few other plays by Bucs), I thought the penalties against Ya-Sin were pretty questionable (especially the last one -- though, I guess when you play against Brady, you have to expect he and his WRs are going to get benefit of doubt).

-We strayed from the run more than I had hoped.  I know above I said I think Reich called an OK game (actually I said I don't think he called a bad game).  That said, when we had a lead, it would've been nice to try to pound the rock a bit more.

-Buckner scared the crap out of me when he went down.  Glad he returned, but hope that isn't going to linger throughout the season.

Ugly:

-Our defense against their TEs.  Gronk and Brate looked like they were playing against high schoolers most of the game.

-Pittman, IMO, had the worst game of his career.  Wentz didn't throw 'perfect' balls to him but at least 2x early in the game I thought he should have had critical catches which he dropped or didn't make a great play on.

I have a whole lot more to say, but don't have much time.  Overall, I think this is a game we could and should have won.  We didn't, but the tape will show almost all our mistakes are fixable.  If this loss happened in week 2 instead of week 12 it would have been much more bearable (oh well).  

51 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Well, it means he's much more effective when we have balance. 

And that's actually what Frank and Ballard have implied several times.

Wentz isn't Brady, and we don't have WRs like the Bucs. So why are we trying to be like the pass happy Bucs.

Our best player is JT. He needs to be utilized accordingly, both run and pass.

And when Wentz had balance in 2017, he was elite in most categories. When he was asked to shoulder the load last year, he was awful. I'd say the 2017 plan is best, no?

I agree for the most part about the balance aspect. The same goes for most QB's in the league and Wentz is definitely part of that group. It wasn't a gotcha question. 

You just don't want to be Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield where when those guys get given more responsibility, they can't handle it. Wentz is in that tier this season. He's not proven we can rely on him to win games with his arm. That's why when people try to already say he's the guy, I cringe a little. 

The drive with the TD to Dulin…isn’t that the series Frank went with 6 OL to counter the 5 DL…and it worked, and never saw it again. Seems odd. 

Based off his comments and the actual results of the game I’m not sure this wasn’t the game plan. I don’t think he had any interest in seeing if the running game could get going or if a balanced approach was obtainable.

21 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

We lost a tough one to the defending Champs.

Disappointing, considering this is at least the 3rd time this season where we've given up a lead and lost a game we should have won to a solid team (Baltimore and 2nd Titans game being the other two.. arguably the Rams, who we had a brief 4th Q lead on could make this the 4th time this season).  

Good:

-Ashton Dulin and Isaiah Rodgers continue to shine on STs and are making solid plays for the O and D, respectively.

-Kwity Paye got another sack.. seems like he just needed to get that first one a few weeks ago and he's doing better at getting the sacks now instead of all those early season pressures which he just missed getting a sack on.

-I don't think this was as bad as it tastes right now.  I don't think Reich called a bad game, just about all our major problems are fixable.  We don't have much time to fix them, as we need to run the table or at least get 4 of 5 wins to have a legit shot at playoffs.

-Leonard had another forced fumble and was around the ball a lot today.

-We forced several turnovers against a very solid team.

-Doyle and TY got in the endzone and both looked solid today.

-I thought Wentz, aside from the last throw of the game, looked good throwing the deep ball.

-Buckner looked like a man possessed late in the game.

Bad:

-We turned the ball over way too much.  Hines isn't impressing me much at all this year and that was a bad muffed punt.  Pascal's fumble was bad (should not have happened).  The deep INT to Winfield, IMO, should have been a pass interference (it looked like he yanked Pittman's jersey by the neck before he went up and got that ball).  

-Penalties.  Given they didn't call the Winfield INT a pass interference (and a few other plays by Bucs), I thought the penalties against Ya-Sin were pretty questionable (especially the last one -- though, I guess when you play against Brady, you have to expect he and his WRs are going to get benefit of doubt).

-We strayed from the run more than I had hoped.  I know above I said I think Reich called an OK game (actually I said I don't think he called a bad game).  That said, when we had a lead, it would've been nice to try to pound the rock a bit more.

-Buckner scared the crap out of me when he went down.  Glad he returned, but hope that isn't going to linger throughout the season.

Ugly:

-Our defense against their TEs.  Gronk and Brate looked like they were playing against high schoolers most of the game.

-Pittman, IMO, had the worst game of his career.  Wentz didn't throw 'perfect' balls to him but at least 2x early in the game I thought he should have had critical catches which he dropped or didn't make a great play on.

I have a whole lot more to say, but don't have much time.  Overall, I think this is a game we could and should have won.  We didn't, but the tape will show almost all our mistakes are fixable.  If this loss happened in week 2 instead of week 12 it would have been much more bearable (oh well).  

It's the kind of loss that will have you sitting home in January. Though I would love to run table and get another shot at all the teams we should have beat

So we’re just a painfully easy team to defend then. :dunno: 

If Frank is that scared to run against a stacked box all anyone has to do to beat us is just stack the box and force us to pass every down. 

When Wentz has to throw 30 times or more in a game we’re 3-6. For those keeping track at home every one of our losses has featured 30+ passes. All 6 of them. 1.000. Perfect score. 

As in maybe there’s a connection there. 

So there’s the blueprint. Bully the man afraid of stacked boxes, and your chances of winning increase drastically. 

Embarrassing and shameful.  

Maybe if the defense stacks 8 men in the tunnel before kickoff they can scare him into just forfeiting the whole damn game. 

Probably checks in his closet and under his bed every night at bedtime to make sure there’s not 8 men in the box there, too. 

Clearly there’s sarcasm and satire featured in this post, but just how much I’m not sure. 

Archived