Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Bucs Post Game Reaction (Merge)

EastStreet

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

That is what is happening. Instead of blaming pascal for not securing the ball you all are blaming Reich for not running.

What’s your thoughts on the jumbo package used to counter the 5 man front? I thought it was brilliant, it seemed to work. If the Bucs stayed with the 5 man front, or kept the box stacked with 8-9 players as you and Zach think, why didn’t Frank stay in a jumbo set?

Could you ask Zach for me?

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I can't seem to locate "Pass Happy" on the stat board. They lost for one reason-they were outscored!

and they were outscored for a number of reasons, of which the most important was the lack of balance in the offensive attack due to Frank completely abandoning the run game and taking the ball out of his best player's hands

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I can't seem to locate "Pass Happy" on the stat board. They lost for one reason-they were outscored!

Pass happy is pretty easy to interpret. Throw a lot, don't run much.

For the sake of simplicity, we're 0-5 when we throw it 35+... 

We're 4-0 when JT runs 18+

It's all a conspiracy I'm sure.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

He had 53 in that last drive believe. So basically 30 yards  in 3.5 quarters.

Well first, he didn’t run in the 3rd quarter…so 3.5 isn’t possible. Second, I’m not trying to claim he was gonna get 200 yards…but as it stands, he has 83 on 16 which is over 5 yards a carry…seems like maybe he could have added more yards in the 3rd quarter and took some pressure off Wentz, no?

The 1st quarter wasn’t great…the Bucs were fresh, came out with the 5 man front, and it worked for a series or 2. But what I saw, was the Colts use a jumbo set and play action, then all the sudden JT was getting good gains and the passing game was opening up.

How effective was the passing game in the 1st quarter again? How about the 4th? 3rd?

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

What’s your thoughts on the jumbo package used to counter the 5 man front? I thought it was brilliant, it seemed to work. If the Bucs stayed with the 5 man front, or kept the box stacked with 8-9 players as you and Zach think, why didn’t Frank stay in a jumbo set?

Could you ask Zach for me?

Not sure Zach understands defense anyway, or what a jumbo package is.

Isn't Zach best known for mafia article, and not football lol.. 

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Well first, he didn’t run in the 3rd quarter…so 3.5 isn’t possible. Second, I’m not trying to claim he was gonna get 200 yards…but as it stands, he has 83 on 16 which is over 5 yards a carry…seems like maybe he could have added more yards in the 3rd quarter and took some pressure off Wentz, no?

The 1st quarter wasn’t great…the Bucs were fresh, came out with the 5 man front, and it worked for a series or 2. But what I saw, was the Colts use a jumbo set and play action, then all the sudden JT was getting good gains and the passing game was opening up.

How effective was the passing game in the 1st quarter again? How about the 4th? 3rd?

We turned it over.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

You can’t run the ball every damn play. Yes it did. 

Sometimes I really wonder about you...

You realize we only ran RBs 26% of the time..... 30% if you count Wentz's scrambles which aren't planned runs.... 

Of course you didn't. lol

26% is lower than the lowest average in the NFL... Even 30% is... lol

So we're not close to running it ever damn play.

A matter a fact, we ran it less than every single NFL team's average.

It's stuff like this.. that makes you look bad.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We turned it over.

Did you notice that, in the play by play breakdown I posted, the passing game worked when the running game worked? As “bad” as the running game was, it was the threat of running that set up the pass plays? Did you notice Wentz and Pittman really weren’t on the same page to start the game? Did you notice Pascal sucked the entire game? Did you notice that had it not been for Wentz scrambling on the last drive of the half I’m not sure we sniff FG range? Did you notice pascal drop a pass after he fumbled? 

TY did pretty well When targeted, why wasn’t he used more? Who would you rather have catch a deep pass, Hilton or Pascal? How about the play where pascal fumbled…why was that play designed for him and not ya know, one of the play makers on the team?

14 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Did you notice that, in the play by play breakdown I posted, the passing game worked when the running game worked?

well I guess to be fair, Frank doesn't realize it either.  His presser was hot garbage.  He did everything he could to NOT take any of the blame for the lack of running.  

https://www.colts.com/video/colts-vs-buccaneers-postgame-frank-reich

Hey Ballard, give Gary Kubiak a call please!

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

well I guess to be fair, Frank doesn't realize it either.  His presser was hot garbage.  He did everything he could to NOT take any of the blame for the lack of running.  

https://www.colts.com/video/colts-vs-buccaneers-postgame-frank-reich

Haha yea, I heard. It’s mind numbing to me honestly. I said it after the game & I’ll still say it…I imagine Ballard has to be pretty mad. We can talk about the D all day, and he has missed on some players, but for JT to not get 1 run in the 3rd quarter when you are up by 10, and then dodge it in the presser, it’s really not a good look.

I like Frank as a coach. He obviously has the players on his side, but he has to give up play calling. There is no reason this team should be 6-6. Yea they need to add some players, especially on D, but this team is talented. I’ll never understand not using JT more or getting him more in involved, especially after doing what he had just done to the bills. 

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

He obviously has the players on his side,

thing is though, how long is that going to last with pressers like this?  no way the players can be happy about it....especially Wentz

to the public, yeah the put up the proper front giving the appearance they fully support their coach, but there has to be animosity brewing

55 minutes ago, J@son said:

and they were outscored for a number of reasons, of which the most important was the lack of balance in the offensive attack due to Frank completely abandoning the run game and taking the ball out of his best player's hands

So you are saying if they succeed with the run the damn ball strategy then stay with it for 17 games. Boy that should work for about eleven minutes.

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

So you are saying if they succeed with the run the damn ball strategy then stay with it for 17 games. Boy that should work for about eleven minutes.

well it worked against the #3 ranked rush defense against the Bills, and it worked more often than not against the #1 ranked rush defense of the Bucs.  They struggled in the first quarter against Tampa, but as was pointed out in a previous post, it started working in the 2nd quarter and that's when the offense had the most success....so, not quite sure if you know what you're talking about

6 hours ago, ar7 said:

That is not true.

He might not have scored the touchdowns but don't discount how much of a difference your rushing attack can make even if you aren't averaging big yards per carry.

Here is breakdown of each series for the Colts offense today:

Result Plays Pass Run Taylor - Runs

Field Goal 3 1 2 2

Punt 3 3 0 0

Punt 3 2 1 1

Fumble 2 1 1 1

Touchdown 3 2 1 1

Touchdown 10 6 4 3

Touchdown 14 12 2 0 (End of 1st Half)

Fumble 8 8 0 0

Interception 7 7 0 0

Punt 3 2 1 0

Touchdown 10 2 8 8

Interception 2 2 0 0 (End of game, Hail Mary)

Total 68 48 20 16

Percent of Total 70.59% 29.41% 23.53%

The only time they scored on a drive without Taylor was at the end of the first half in a 2 minute situation when they put Hines in there.

Taylor is BY FAR the best player on offense for the Colts. If we could ask every coaching staff in the league who on the Colts is most concerning to go against i'd be shocked if Taylor wasn't the name they all say. Wentz, Pittman, Doyle, and Hilton are not what worries teams...it's Taylor. He is top 3 at his position. None of the others (QB, WR, TE) are top 3 (or 5 for that matter) at their position.

You have to get the ball in the hands of your best player and you have to maintain some sense of a rushing attack to keep defenses honest. That didn't happen today to the extend it needed to.

Definition of keeping the defense honest right there.

24 points on drives where we ran Taylor. NO TURNOVERS.

7 points on drives where we we didn’t run him. 3 TURNOVERS! (Not counting the hail mary)

Don’t need to say anything more than this.

/Thread

16 minutes ago, J@son said:

thing is though, how long is that going to last with pressers like this?  no way the players can be happy about it....especially Wentz

to the public, yeah the put up the proper front giving the appearance they fully support their coach, but there has to be animosity brewing

Agree. Imagine being JT. Destroy the bills practically by yourself, the whole NFL world is raving about you and you're in the MVP race to be sitting on the sidelines or not being used in the biggest moments of the biggest games…ouch.

End of the 1st half start of 2nd half is so important in games and he didn’t touch the ball one time.

I’m not a fire everybody type of person, not sure I want Frank fired yet. I’m also not sure we have a competent play caller currently on the staff to replace him, but I’m ready to find out.

3 minutes ago, cbear said:

I know everyone wants to ssore a td on every drive, but you score 31 points on a D like TB, and you did your job. The D is just not very consistent for whatever reason. 

Defense can’t get critical stops in close games against good teams. This team is missing A couple play makers on each side of the ball to be able to close our good teams.

Seems like there's a big dispute about too much passing. Honestly, who cares?

We run every play and score 31 or pass every play and score 31, does it matter? The objective of the offense is to score points. How can anyone seriously complain about how we do it? I can see if we're averaging 17, but obviously we're not.

We can score on anyone. 

22 minutes ago, cbear said:

I know everyone wants to ssore a td on every drive, but you score 31 points on a D like TB, and you did your job. The D is just not very consistent for whatever reason. 

They sorta did their job.  They still turned it over five times.  Running or passing you turn it over five times you aren’t going to win many games especially against a good team like Tampa.  

I agree the defense is an issue too.  

3 hours ago, coltsfanmurf said:

If I remember correctly he has done that a few times this year.  It seems like he doesn't take that extra step to make the catch standing up.  I am hoping the fact he "got paid" isn't affecting his drive and motivation.  

I agree with about everything else you said.  Good post!!!

Hines hasn't impressed me much this season and I also don't think that was his first muffed punt. 

He seems to be pretty enthusiastic and I'd like to give him benefit of doubt and say I don't think his recent contract extension has him slacking off.

JT's development as a 3 down back has definitely cut into Hines' role on O. While I think Hines is used very predictably on O, which I don't think helps him, I also think he is a player who improves the more touches he gets. As good as JT has been,  there simply hasn't been as much room for Hines to be involved as a rb as he was in the recent past. 

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

It's the kind of loss that will have you sitting home in January. Though I would love to run table and get another shot at all the teams we should have beat

Yes, unfortunately at 6-6 we need to win at least 4 of our next 5 and may still require help from other teams to get into the playoffs. 

Personally, I like Reich as our coach. That said, I hope we make it into the playoffs this year and really hope he can figure out how to get this team winning close games and fix the slow start issues we've had with him in control. As impressive as it was to make the playoffs after a 1-5 start a few years ago, and as impressive as it may be if we do something similar this year, it would be nice to control our own fate. 

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

^^ We have to be the best 6-6 team I have ever seen. 

I honestly believe we could go to the Super Bowl (don't think we beat GB) if we sneak in at 10-7

We certainly have shown that we're capable of playing with anyone, but for some reason we can't seem to get out of our own way when it comes to winning close games. 

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Guess what. That means it’s easy to add some difference makers in the off season. Sometimes when your this close your just shorty a player or two.

The same can probably be said for 3 quarters of the league  it's not specific to the Colts and is basically the default position for mediocre teams.

Even ignoring the fact we have no 1st round pick and a propensity for signing "value" free agents I don't think its the positive you think it is either in the short or long term.

57 minutes ago, cbear said:

that's either adorably naive, or willfully ignorant

54 minutes ago, cbear said:

Seems like there's a big dispute about too much passing. Honestly, who cares?

We run every play and score 31 or pass every play and score 31, does it matter? The objective of the offense is to score points. How can anyone seriously complain about how we do it? I can see if we're averaging 17, but obviously we're not.

We can score on anyone. 

it's not nearly that black and white and you should know that.  better offensive balance could have reduced the number of turnovers, maintained a better advantage in time of possession limiting the number of points the bucs could have scored.  they'd have kept the bucs defense more off balance and their own defense more fresh and possibly could have scored more than just 31, which is going to be required against better offensive teams.  overall efficiency is almost as important as the total number of points scored.

Archived