Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts/Bucs Post Game Reaction (Merge)

EastStreet

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t want to be like the Titans. I don’t want to be where we can only win by running the ball. You have to win being flexible. 

we can be flexible if we have the personnel but we dont have it right now .   just having wentz in shotgun throwing will not win us many games against good competition .   plus its still wentz first year in our system .   if we upgrade the left tackle and get a true number 1 then yes we can be flexible .  for now though we have to play to our strengths until we have weapons .  we are inches away from being a elite team if we spend some of that 70 million in the offseason .  one great wr a left tackle and a corner we can be fine with kwitty becoming a true number 1 pass rusher .  

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

we can be flexible if we have the personnel but we dont have it right now .   just having wentz in shotgun throwing will not win us many games against good competition .   plus its still wentz first year in our system .   if we upgrade the left tackle and get a true number 1 then yes we can be flexible .  for now though we have to play to our strengths until we have weapons .  we are inches away from being a elite team if we spend some of that 70 million in the offseason .  one great wr a left tackle and a corner we can be fine with kwitty becoming a true number 1 pass rusher .  

Yes I will agree with this. But the passing game worked. You all are acting like Wentz couldn’t hit anything. It’s not like we abandoned the run and Wentz played careless and awful.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Yes I will agree with this. But the passing game worked. You all are acting like Wentz couldn’t hit anything. It’s not like we abandoned the run and Wentz played careless and awful.

that is not what i am saying at all i am the biggest wentz fan i been making topics about trading for wentz since he got benched .  he played amazing the problem is our weapons cannot get elite separation at all .  most of his throws are into tight coverage and the lack of separation makes wentz hold on to the ball . So throwing 50 times is gonna make strips and picks from the lack of weapons .    we need to game plan around our lack of weapons and it has nothing to do with wentz being bad he is very good .

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

how many tds passing in the 2nd half again? 1st quarter? Still waiting for you to answer those questions. 

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Lol. They did abandon the run.  3 turnovers in the passing game and they weren’t wreckless or careless with the ball. You sure? Something isn’t adding up, but I’m not a mathematician either 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Reich now has 6 blown double digit leads in 3 and 3 quarters seasons. You can go back and watch the film of every single one of those games and its the same story over and over, abandoned the run, threw 40+ times. 

Nah man, you just didn’t see it, Wentz was hot and passing game was working, we weren’t scoring, or keep the ball from the Bucs…but I mean it’s what they had to do or something. Oh I remember, should have started passing sooner he said, that was his regret

Actually flabbergasted at some of the responses on here trying to break down this loss and make it a bigger thing than it is. The bottom line is TURNOVERS. We normally dominate the turnover game, this game we did not. We turned the ball over 4 TIMES in the 2nd half while defending the lead. That is why we lost, simple as that. Playcalling was fine. They loaded the box, we passed, and it worked early. Later in the game we ran it straight down their throats. It worked. Take away even 2 of the 4 turnovers we win.

41 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

You know two things can be true at the same time. Just because we didn’t run enough does not mean it was directly the reason for the loss.  You would be right if it was crazy carson that was out of control and was making dumb plays. That is not what happened.

I actually wasn’t mad at the INT throw to Pittman. It wasn’t careless and he gave PItt a chance to come down with the ball. The ones that I was most mad with are the hinsd and pascal ones. Those were stupid plays not taking care of the ball. I can even forgive the strip where Fisher blew his block. That happens. It’s inexcusable to turn the ball over by a muffed punt and a completed pass for first down. Especially when they were unforced errors. See the difference.

Again, no one ever said both cannot be true. That’s deflection. 

I’ll take mental mistakes in ball security over tipping our hand and putting the defense in position to succeed for an extended period of time every time. Every single time.

“Control what you can control”.

There was nothing in direct correlation with the rest of this game that we could have done to control the Pascal and Hines turnovers. Nothing. We can’t control Pascal not securing the ball well, or Hines just flat out muffing it. But we can control play selection and the opposing defense being able to line up with confidence in what they’re about to do, and that’s exactly what happened and causes the worm to turn in that 3rd quarter. 

It doesn’t make Hines or Pascal any less accountable for the loss, but it does make Frank more culpable. There are things we could have done to lessen the chance of those turnovers. We just didn’t. 

For whatever reason. 

And guess what? It exposed us. Forcing all those RPO looks into passes worked. Stacking the box to scare Frank out of running worked. Because Wentz isn’t one of the elite level QBs who can throw the ball every play and beat you with it. He’s not Manning. He’s not Brady. He’s not Rodgers.

And that’s not a knock on him, I don’t want to have to drop everything in his lap on Sunday and have our entire chance of winning on his shoulder. He’s not that kind of player, and that’s good because more importantly this is not that kind of offense. Take advantage of that, because the results when we don’t are clear. Crystal clear. Go look at all 6 losses and tell me what one of the common denominators has been.

I’ll go ahead and save you the research: Wentz throwing 35 passes. 

When you start to prepare for this team defensively it’s now crystal clear that when you force us to the air you have a drastically higher chance of beating us. And it’s easy as can be to force us to the air. Load up the box, and take the R out of the RPO at the snap. Even with a 2 score lead in the second half we’ll go willingly to the air exclusively, even at the cost of lowering our own chances of victory.

It’s * embarrassing. There’s a reason you never see the great coaches and/or QBs go strictly pass when up by 2 scores.

And forgive me, but I’m going to defer to their judgement over frank and his. His winning % is trending towards .500 much more than its trending into the .600 neighborhood with the ones who don’t have a reputation of doing this % regularly. 

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Again, no one ever said both cannot be true. That’s deflection. 

I’ll take mental mistakes in ball security over tipping our hand and putting the defense in position to succeed for an extended period of time every time. Every single time.

“Control what you can control”.

There was nothing in direct correlation with the rest of this game that we could have done to control the Pascal and Hines turnovers. Nothing. We can’t control Pascal not securing the ball well, or Hines just flat out muffing it. But we can control play selection and the opposing defense being able to line up with confidence in what they’re about to do, and that’s exactly what happened and causes the worm to turn in that 3rd quarter. 

It doesn’t make Hines or Pascal any less accountable for the loss, but it does make Frank more culpable. There are things we could have done to lessen the chance of those turnovers. We just didn’t. 

For whatever reason. 

And guess what? It exposed us. Forcing all those RPO looks into passes worked. Stacking the box to scare Frank out of running worked. Because Wentz isn’t one of the elite level QBs who can throw the ball every play and beat you with it. He’s not Manning. He’s not Brady. He’s not Rodgers.

And that’s not a knock on him, I don’t want to have to drop everything in his lap on Sunday and have our entire chance of winning on his shoulder. He’s not that kind of player, and that’s good because more importantly this is not that kind of offense. Take advantage of that, because the results when we don’t are clear. Crystal clear. Go look at all 6 losses and tell me what one of the common denominators has been.

I’ll go ahead and save you the research: Wentz throwing 35 passes. 

When you start to prepare for this team defensively it’s now crystal clear that when you force us to the air you have a drastically higher chance of beating us. And it’s easy as can be to force us to the air. Load up the box, and take the R out of the RPO at the snap. Even with a 2 score lead in the second half we’ll go willingly to the air exclusively, even at the cost of lowering our own chances of victory.

It’s * embarrassing. There’s a reason you never see the great coaches and/or QBs go strictly pass when up by 2 scores.

And forgive me, but I’m going to defer to their judgement over frank and his. His winning % is trending towards .500 much more than its trending into the .600 neighborhood with the ones who don’t have a reputation of doing this % regularly. 

If you know you called a RPO, and you know the D is gonna show a pass look, aren’t you essentially calling a pass play? 

He actually defended his calls, and said he should have started throwing sooner…

Has any of the current staff besides Frank ever called plays? I’m ready to see someone else try it out. 

10 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Actually flabbergasted at some of the responses on here trying to break down this loss and make it a bigger thing than it is. The bottom line is TURNOVERS. We normally dominate the turnover game, this game we did not. We turned the ball over 4 TIMES in the 2nd half while defending the lead. That is why we lost, simple as that. Playcalling was fine. They loaded the box, we passed, and it worked early. Later in the game we ran it straight down their throats. It worked. Take away even 2 of the 4 turnovers we win.

I’m flabbergasted as to why people can’t understand the turnovers were the result of the play calls while trying to defend said lead….

im also flabbergasted as to how this forum can say Eburflus needs replaced due to his scheme but saying Frank needs to give up play calling due to his is a non starter. The defense sucks, D coordinators fault. Offense runs 26 or 27 straight pass plays and it’s the players fault. Makes no sense to me.

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

that is not what i am saying at all i am the biggest wentz fan i been making topics about trading for wentz since he got benched .  he played amazing the problem is our weapons cannot get elite separation at all .  most of his throws are into tight coverage and the lack of separation makes wentz hold on to the ball . So throwing 50 times is gonna make strips and picks from the lack of weapons .    we need to game plan around our lack of weapons and it has nothing to do with wentz being bad he is very good .

Thank you for this excellent read on the issue. Pittman and Doyle are the only pass catchers that Wentz can trust to get to the right spot.

I'm stunned that Pascal isn't also. Pascal is a good receiver IMO, so this problem falls on Frank, Brady, and Wentz.

And TY should be good in the short game, so WHAT is going on Frank?
 IMO, Mo-Allie has been scouted for his limitations and is easily controlled by a little physicality that throws him off stride. He has no quickness, is a little heavy footed, just can't get going again. The sooner Granson can replace him if we are going pass heavy the better.

Did you see Vea throw Q around like a rag doll? And Suh is still an amazing athlete.
  I am bewildered by how much space Eberflus gives opponents to pass into, and how slow our defenders are to attack when wide open receivers come into their zones, who become obvious easy targets. We are not contesting these plays enough!  Bowles defenders were much better at this. 

I scratch my head at most coach's play calling, especially when it doesn't work. Frank is no exception. But to be fair, let's say Frank runs the ball more more. Except in this reality, it leads to three fumbles leading to three bucs TDs and we lose. After the game, we blast him for going away from the pass even though it got us the big lead and was working. Plus Taylor wouldn't have blown out his knee if Frank had not kept running him into a Buffalo D just waiting for him. 

Or how about the reality where he keeps passing the ball, except Pascal doesn't fumble the completion or Fisher doesn't get whooped, and we go on to score TDs quickly in the second half. Buffalo is forced to give up the run. We come up with three second half sacks, and force Brady into retirement. 

IMO, our reality offensive game plan was good enough to win this game. It was not a perfect offensive game plan, but 31 should have been enough.

The problem for this loss was player execution (I guess you could blame Reich for that) and the continued inconsistent play of this defense. 

4 minutes ago, cbear said:

I scratch my head at most coach's play calling, especially when it doesn't work. Frank is no exception. But to be fair, let's say Frank runs the ball more more. Except in this reality, it leads to three fumbles leading to three bucs TDs and we lose. After the game, we blast him for going away from the pass even though it got us the big lead and was working. Plus Taylor wouldn't have blown out his knee if Frank had not kept running him into a Buffalo D just waiting for him. 

Or how about the reality where he keeps passing the ball, except Pascal doesn't fumble the completion or Fisher doesn't get whooped, and we go on to score TDs quickly in the second half. Buffalo is forced to give up the run. We come up with three second half sacks, and force Brady into retirement. 

IMO, our reality offensive game plan was good enough to win this game. It was not a perfect offensive game plan, but 31 should have been enough.

The problem for this loss was player execution (I guess you could blame Reich for that) and the continued inconsistent play of this defense. 

Except even Frank said they knew they would need mid to high 30’s…

The rest of those what if’s are just ridiculous.

what if, instead being one dimensional, he maintained some sort of balance, which worked very well in the 2nd quarter?

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Except even Frank said they knew they would need mid to high 30’s…

The rest of those what if’s are just ridiculous.

what if, instead being one dimensional, he maintained some sort of balance, which worked very well in the 2nd quarter?

Well that was sort of my point. What if scenarios usually are. But I get it. That's what a forum is for. 

50 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

nvm

1 minute ago, cbear said:

Well that was sort of my point. What if scenarios usually are. But I get it. That's what a forum is for. 

Ok I don’t understand the post then. Or are you suggesting that asking to run the ball in the 3rd quarter more than 0 times, with one of the best lines and MVP candidate running back is ridiculous?

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

A game plan only takes a team so far.  You've laid out the problems on offense, and a good portion of the needs.  We are simply not going to overcome playoff type teams until those needs are filled.  The game plan cannot make up for significant issues with positions.   Scoring as many points we have against last year's playoff teams speaks volumes about the offensive coaches, IMO.

i agree that ballard ignored the weapons and fisher has been so up and down .  i still think at least trying to run the ball in the third to keep the defense in check would have helped . once we got in the redzone up ten at lest try to run it .  the bucs would go into nickel we should be running the ball .  even if it failed it would keep the bucs biting on play action to stop the pass rush . 

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ok I don’t understand the post then. Or are you suggesting that asking to run the ball in the 3rd quarter more than 0 times, with one of the best lines and MVP candidate running back is ridiculous?

No, because it might have worked better and we might have scored 45. It is another possibility. 

10 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i agree that ballard ignored the weapons and fisher has been so up and down .  i still think at least trying to run the ball in the third to keep the defense in check would have helped . once we got in the redzone up ten at lest try to run it .  the bucs would go into nickel we should be running the ball .  even if it failed it would keep the bucs biting on play action to stop the pass rush . 

Sure.  22 straight passes is weird.  But I'm also recognizing that we have scored a lot of points against playoff teams from last year and this year despite some streaks of wonky play calling..  In a way, I think the game planning sort of plans for the defense to not hold up against playoff offenses.

I think we need another speed guy at the WR spot to play with Pitt, but I think the personnel is pretty much set if all players can return next year, and Parris and Granson take the next step (and stay healthy).  And I'd like to see a backup RB more stout than Hines.   Not much capital needed to be spent on O this spring other than securing the oline players.

35 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

If you know you called a RPO, and you know the D is gonna show a pass look, aren’t you essentially calling a pass play? 

He actually defended his calls, and said he should have started throwing sooner…

Has any of the current staff besides Frank ever called plays? I’m ready to see someone else try it out. 

To the third point, I believe Brady has in the past. But I can’t recall right off the top of my head for sure and I’m honestly still too demoralized from yesterday to today look it up since it’s irrelevant because of your second point. 

In his mind he was 100% right. It seems to me that frank has a bit of a superiority complex. He thinks he is genuinely the smartest football mind in any room he’s in, and he’s always chomping at the bit to show off his… prowess...

When he’s not “that’s on me”’ing he’s hyped to point to the analytics or how the situation dictated how much of a genius he is. Dare I say it, but maybe he fancies a himself as a *shudder* 4D chess player. :facepalm:

Of course when you look at coaches with rings, and winning legacies they don’t make the kind of mistakes he makes once, let alone repeatedly, but clearly he’s right. I mean we are after all a .500 team outside the playoffs. 

Last year we benefited from the addition of a Wild Card spot to sneak in. (Luckily frank’s genius had nothing at all to do with our playoff loss in Buff- …  :pokerface: ) 

This year we’re going to need to benefit from both the additional WC spot AND the additional game to sneak in. 

We have the talent to hang with and beat any team in the league. I just don’t think we have the head coach to. 

18 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Joel Erickson brought this up in his post game podcast. He talked about Ballard actually failing at helping the WR position. In the end we moved the ball up and down the field and only stopped ourselves with dumb plays. Colts averaged 7 yards per play when they quit running.

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Two media podcasts post game are saying what we all know. Have to go get Wentz another threat at WR. If we want Wentz to be his best he needs help I agree Wentz will be elite if he gets another weapon.

I think Wentz is good and a good addition to the team. But he’s not elite. Elite QBs can close these games we keep losing even with their backs against the wall. Elite QB find ways to win when all odds are against them. Wentz can’t close these games even when we’re up 10+ points. 

I’m not saying he’s the cause of our losses mind, but he’s not carrying us either. 

19 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

He was so close. 

If Fisher hadn’t wiffed on pass protection and Hines doesnt muff the punt you all would be praising Reich.

It was close, the whole game was close. The Colts feel snake bit. It's been tough season as a fan. So much promise but always a day late and a dollar short.

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There’s all those trees getting in the way of the forest again. Keefer has a problem seeing all the trees in the way of the forest because of all those tall brown wood plants in front of the trees in front of the forest. 

No one (with any legitimate argument) is saying we should have run 44 times and passed it 17 times. No one is saying that. Again, no one is saying that. 

It’s how it was allowed to play out. How allowing it to play out the way it did gave the Bucs a clear advantage and helped turn this game in their favor. 

No % we weren’t going to beat them solely with Jonathan Taylor. That’s about as bold a statement as saying we wouldn’t have beat them playing only 6 men on the field at any time. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Save the prophetic revelations nonsense for something that isn’t plainly obvious. 

But they don’t hold every run to no gain or less. They’re not some mythical monster that has given up 0 yards on the ground this season. I promise. 

And with the linemen we have and the RB we have sometimes you just have to suck it up, quit being a darn * and go out and at least try to make a play. 

This whole narrative, this absurd fear, of their run defense with the players we have in the run game is overblown nonsense. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

There’s all those trees getting in the way of the forest again. Keefer has a problem seeing all the trees in the way of the forest because of all those tall brown wood plants in front of the trees in front of the forest. 

No one (with any legitimate argument) is saying we should have run 44 times and passed it 17 times. No one is saying that. Again, no one is saying that. 

It’s how it was allowed to play out. How allowing it to play out the way it did gave the Bucs a clear advantage and helped turn this game in their favor. 

No % we weren’t going to beat them solely with Jonathan Taylor. That’s about as bold a statement as saying we wouldn’t have beat them playing only 6 men on the field at any time. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Save the prophetic revelations nonsense for something that isn’t plainly obvious. 

But they don’t hold every run to no gain or less. They’re not some mythical monster that has given up 0 yards on the ground this season. I promise. 

And with the linemen we have and the RB we have sometimes you just have to suck it up, quit being a darn * and go out and at least try to make a play. 

This whole narrative, this absurd fear, of their run defense with the players we have in the run game is overblown nonsense. 

Lmao. Keefer didn’t say anything. He was tweeting a article by a Bucs media person.

Looks like Willis might still miss Texans and be back for NE. Also a good chance Campbell might really play the last 3 games. 

49 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Joel Erickson brought this up in his post game podcast. He talked about Ballard actually failing at helping the WR position. In the end we moved the ball up and down the field and only stopped ourselves with dumb plays. Colts averaged 7 yards per play when they quit running.

Putting aside the whole run debate for a second...

I agree that the Colts are going to need to get another receiving threat in the off season. I thought that going into the year. That's due to this appearing to be Hilton's last year.

The outcome of the Bucs game is not about what Ballard did or did not do in the offseason. There are areas to improve and criticism to make but the roster building was not what the game was about yesterday.

The top two receivers for the Colts are Pittman and Hilton. Pittman is going to continue to get better and Hilton, even at 32, is still a terrific receiver at number two. In the short-term Pittman, Hilton, Doyle, Taylor, and Hines are a very good group of skilled position players. When you compare what the Colts have with the other competing teams you will see that the Colts don't have the disadvantage with skilled position players that some try to make them out to have.

The Bucs are head and shoulders above all teams in the league in terms of skilled position players. However, that is due to having Tom Brady. No Brady = no AB and Gronk which would make the Bucs group on par with other teams in the league.

And Hilton has been injured this year and that has hurt the Colts at times but he wasn't (to my knowledge) limited by injuries yesterday. The lack of receiving talent was not an issue for the Colts yesterday.

Here are the % of snaps played and the number of targets for the game yesterday:

• Pittman (94%, 10)
  • Pascal (93%, 7)
  • Taylor (71%, 5)
  • Doyle (61%, 7)
  • Hilton (61%, 5)
  • Alie-Cox (57%, 2)
  • Hines (36%, 4)
  • Granson (13%, 2)
  • Dulin (6%, 1)

Somehow Pascal ends up with the second most targets on the team. Doyle was having a great game and the Colts don't find a way to target him more than the 3rd best receiver and having arguably the worst game of the group? Hilton, who is EASILY the second best receiver right after Pittman, only plays 61% of the snaps and gets 5 targets in a game where you are passing something like 70% of the time. 

Even if you are fine with going away from the runs in 3rd quarter how can the above be considered good coaching? If you are going to try to win with your passing game I expect your second best receiver to play more than 61% of the snaps. If you want to be "flexible" then I expect you to target the "hot hand" (Doyle) more than 7 times. I don't expect Pascal, who isn't your second best receiver and was having a bad game, to get the second most targets on the team.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the Colts beating good teams with Wentz passing 40+ times a game but my confidence in that is further diminished if TY is only playing 61% of the snaps and Pascal is getting the second most targets.

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Two media podcasts post game are saying what we all know. Have to go get Wentz another threat at WR. If we want Wentz to be his best he needs help I agree Wentz will be elite if he gets another weapon.

How did the Washington football team do it?

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think Wentz is good and a good addition to the team. But he’s not elite. Elite QBs can close these games we keep losing even with their backs against the wall. Elite QB find ways to win when all odds are against them. Wentz can’t close these games even when we’re up 10+ points. 

I’m not saying he’s the cause of our losses mind, but he’s not carrying us either. 

They scored 31 and Wentz's INT was almost identical to Brady's.  

Outside of Tennessee, I can't blame Wentz for any of the losses.  He's certainly played well enough to make the playoffs.

Simplifying things, Wentz and the offense aren't perfect, but they are better than the defense.  Frank isn't perfect, but he’s better than Eberflus.  The offensive scheme and play calling aren't perfect, but still better than the 1990s system we beat our heads against the wall with on defense.  The offensive talent could be somewhat better, but it's still superior to what you have on defense.

Ballard needs to hit the reset button on defense and start drafting much better.

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We only have two reliable receivers Pittman and Doyle.  Pretty hard to become elite with just two.  Brady on the other hand is loaded at the skill positions.  His head coach is one of he best too. 

45 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

To the third point, I believe Brady has in the past. But I can’t recall right off the top of my head for sure and I’m honestly still too demoralized from yesterday to today look it up since it’s irrelevant because of your second point. 

In his mind he was 100% right. It seems to me that frank has a bit of a superiority complex. He thinks he is genuinely the smartest football mind in any room he’s in, and he’s always chomping at the bit to show off his… prowess...

When he’s not “that’s on me”’ing he’s hyped to point to the analytics or how the situation dictated how much of a genius he is. Dare I say it, but maybe he fancies a himself as a *shudder* 4D chess player. :facepalm:

Of course when you look at coaches with rings, and winning legacies they don’t make the kind of mistakes he makes once, let alone repeatedly, but clearly he’s right. I mean we are after all a .500 team outside the playoffs. 

Last year we benefited from the addition of a Wild Card spot to sneak in. (Luckily frank’s genius had nothing at all to do with our playoff loss in Buff- …  :pokerface: ) 

This year we’re going to need to benefit from both the additional WC spot AND the additional game to sneak in. 

We have the talent to hang with and beat any team in the league. I just don’t think we have the head coach to. 

The defense is a proven seive against the pass, and more of a bottom 10-12 overall. Tampa Bay has averaged 23 on the road. So if Frank thought we had to score 30+, what does that say about what he thinks his D is?
 Not having Campbell or TY stretching defenses is causing problems and we still have a top 5 scoring team. We have come a long way offensively from the first couple games, we will have to be better in year 2 of Carson, and WE WILL be.

The D has to play the pass more aggressively, and i don't believe Flus will change. lol 

Archived